-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 ABBA 2020

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pot Posted - 04/23/2020 : 17:04:59
Who's up for a new album then?

They lined up a couple of new songs to be released late 2018 but it didn't happen, and now reports are coming in that they are releasing a new album and aiming for September this year (pending #COVID1984)

I love ABBA and always have. I was introduced to them as a young boy and the first album I rememeber going into a record shop (with my mum) and buying was their Greatest Hits album on vinyl.

I think they wrote and produced some of the greatest pop songs of all time. The Swedish folk edge combined with Benny's synth.

Who's a fan then. What's you favourite ABBA songs?
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pot Posted - 11/05/2021 : 12:27:03
So the new album dropped today and.. oh my god it's simply fabulous I'm so happy I could cry!

Nah, not really. It's a bit underwhelming - overall it sounds a lot more like a musical soundtrack than an ABBA album (which B and B wanted to move into after they split). Most of the songs are just trying to recreate the original sound and don't really have much more to them than that. The most appealing thing about this is hearing A and A singing with more mature voices - and still sounding great especially Frida who I rate as the best singer (she was a jazz singer before ABBA)

I like the last song most (Ode To Freedom) I think it's the strongest in terms of just the actual song. But sadly it was recorded and produced with some kind of orchestra. I feel it might have worked better with some of the old Swedish/Spanish folky guitar and/or some nice synth arpeggio from Benny.

That's ultimately why I'm such a fan of ABBA - songs like Chiquitita, Fernando, Eagle but the new album is all too much Mama Mia and Voulez Vouz for me.
pot Posted - 10/01/2021 : 12:14:48
Sing along to ABBA with John Lydon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imx8Bzo3y5A
pot Posted - 09/03/2021 : 12:39:47
I was trying to follow the big reveal yesterday while make a mad dash round Tesco - caught the 2nd song in the car on the way back. It was a quite a spectacular and slightly surreal event. And they have a new full album coming, like I said they should. They sound just like they always did, like they never went away. Still some strong vocals from the girls, but you can hear they have matured but they still sing like they did in the day - I don't know maybe they have produced them to sound great, they always used to play around with vocal over tones in the old days. I have a small issue with the quirky song change bit with the sax sound but it progresses through the verse with a nice sound that reminds me of what they sounded like at their best.
pot Posted - 08/27/2021 : 13:45:06
It's on.

https://abbavoyage.com/

Also just watching a new documentary about ABBA on Channel 5 at the moment, full of obscure vintage material pre-ABBA and stuff as well as interesting facts. Pete Townsend was a fan, as was John Lennon and the Sex Pistols who all admired their songwriting skills - the Pistols' song Pretty Vacant was apparently inspired by SOS.
pot Posted - 08/03/2021 : 00:15:44
ABBA are also late with their new album. I think there are only 5 new songs, and they are holding off on the false hope that tyrannical governments around the world going to eventually desist from their on-going democide of cultures. I don't know why they just don't write a few more and make it a full album, but then as someone who doesn't know the first thing about writing songs who am I am to demand others write songs. They do seem quite good at it though. The last thing we want is an album with 5 good songs on it and the rest are filler though.
TarTar Posted - 08/02/2021 : 19:09:51
I am way too late to pot's defense here but ABBA are brilliant. But so are the Bee Gees. So I don't know what to do now.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
pot Posted - 04/29/2020 : 12:27:17
Queen once covered an Elvis song. I suppose that one's yer least favourite?
vilainde Posted - 04/29/2020 : 12:21:33
I love Elvis though.

Denis
vilainde Posted - 04/29/2020 : 12:20:17
quote:
Originally posted by Srisaket

quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

now i'm really wondering what your most hated band is, vilainde.

it's educational

Queen

You know me well! It's almost scary.

Denis
pot Posted - 04/28/2020 : 07:18:41
That's right. I'm not scared to stand up say: Hey. I like this band! Down with the haters. Boo.
Discoking Posted - 04/28/2020 : 05:56:57
quote:
Originally posted by tisasawath

i thought the thread was about loving. my bad.

no, you misunderstood. pot stands alone on the whole abba thing.

it's educational
tisasawath Posted - 04/28/2020 : 05:21:55
i thought the thread was about loving. my bad.
pot Posted - 04/27/2020 : 08:29:39
Also Elvis. Got no time for "the king". Fuck off Elvis. Fuck of Elvis conventions and everyone who has ever done an Elvis impression.
Bedbug Posted - 04/27/2020 : 06:08:05
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Well I don't like The Beatles.

So there you go. I out-don't like a band that nearly everybody likes-ed you all! haha

I am with you on the Beatles. Do not like them.
pot Posted - 04/26/2020 : 11:26:08
Well I don't like The Beatles.

So there you go. I out-don't like a band that nearly everybody likes-ed you all! haha
Bedbug Posted - 04/26/2020 : 06:33:14
quote:
Originally posted by Srisaket

quote:

it's educational

Queen

I don't like Queen either
pot Posted - 04/26/2020 : 04:10:13
I guess I stand alone on the whole ABBA thing then. I was introduced to them as a boy and I've always liked them. I used to get their new albums for Xmas. I know it's considered uncool and cheesy and a bit gay to be in to ABBA, but I thought these days they were at least recognised and credited by most for their outstanding song writing. They have written and produced some of the best pop songs of all time. Even if you don't like them, personally you have to at least rate them objectively in that sense.

I'm not into Mama Mia (that film) or that. It was on TV over Xmas when I was back visiting my mum and it's the first time I've seen it and it was fucking awful!
Srisaket Posted - 04/26/2020 : 00:20:48
quote:

it's educational

Queen
Bedbug Posted - 04/25/2020 : 23:20:21
Pretty much I only think about them on karaoke night
Discoking Posted - 04/25/2020 : 12:56:13

it's educational
pot Posted - 04/25/2020 : 10:13:03
I don't know what my 2nd most hated band ever is, but my 1st most hated band is the Beegees.

Hey, maybe you'll like the new stuff?
vilainde Posted - 04/25/2020 : 09:00:19
It's my 2nd most hated band ever.

Denis
tisasawath Posted - 04/24/2020 : 12:35:10
here. imprinted in the crib, no escape. no regrets either.
then at around 15 i fondly remember being in attendance at a hardcore/metal concert and a local band translated as Reinforced Concrete played a fantastic version of Chiquitita... wish i had something to record it with...

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000