-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 The Criterion Collection

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
trobrianders Posted - 04/03/2020 : 11:56:17
So I was late discovering the blu-ray delights of the Criterion Collection but have been racing to catch up these past couple of years. If you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them. If you're a passionate Criterion fan I definitely want to hear from you.

I've picked up over 400 titles from a site on Amazon that's been practically giving them away. I've seen maybe 20 of them so far and it's been an eye-popping experience each time such is the quality of their restorations. blu-ray dot com and dvdbeaver dot com seem to be the best online references for AV breakdowns and they've been incredibly helpful in deciding which titles to buy/skip. Got to admire the dedication of those guys.

Favorites so far:
The Age of Innocence
The Leopard
Dietrich and von Sternberg
Last Year at Marienbad
The Apu Trilogy

danjersey Posted - 09/30/2021 : 19:30:22
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_z_9w-Ffmo
one of the best
Newo Posted - 08/05/2021 : 08:17:37
quote:
Originally posted by TarTar

Seconds is a particularly trippy picture starring Rock Hudson. I'd like to revisit that one soon.

Seconds is incredible, great photography by James Wong Howe, score by Jerry Goldsmith and the Saul Bass titles. Best thing Rock Hudson ever did by a country mile.

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/02/2021 : 20:35:42
quote:
Originally posted by TarTar I saw some of The Age of Innocence on cable years ago but I don't believe ever in its entirety.

This is probably true of most movies, but that is really one of those movies where it doesn't make sense to only see part of it. It's all about the excruciating build and tension and pacing and etc...all about the "whole."
TarTar Posted - 08/02/2021 : 19:17:49
I loved Slacker in my early film obsessive days but it's probably been at least 15 years since I watched it if not longer.

Of the original poster's list the only one I think I've seen all the way through is Last Year at Marienbad but I'm due to watch it again because it's a notoriously strange and dreamlike film. I saw some of The Age of Innocence on cable years ago but I don't believe ever in its entirety.

I've seen most of the other list posted. Seconds is a particularly trippy picture starring Rock Hudson. I'd like to revisit that one soon. The Night of the Hunter is highly recommended. The only film directed by Charles Laughton, it's way ahead of its time in atmosphere.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/09/2020 : 13:43:43
I remember not liking Slackers when I watched it about 20 years ago but I also remember not liking tons of great movies that I really like now.

I'm an obsessive Lynch fan and yet haven't seen the documentary. Mainly because I don't watch documentaries often. Also a friend of mine had told me he didn't like it which probably added a year to me not putting it on. I should watch that soon.
trobrianders Posted - 04/09/2020 : 05:00:20
Some great notes there. I got hold of Slacker which I haven't seen yet. Only clips on Youtube but it looks great. Gonna watch Slacker first then move on to True Stories. Texas must have changed so much in recent years with the influx. The demos of And She Was and Psycho Killer still get played a lot in my place. And I don't care what Byrne fans say, True Stories is a great album. In regard to Lynch I'm also looking forward to The Art Life, the Criterion release of the bespoke documentary on him.

Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/08/2020 : 20:19:46
You know I haven't even opened it because I've seen the movie so many times already. I have a bad habit of buying things and not looking at them for years. Like I bought The Killing when it came out in 2011 and I'VE NEVER OPENED IT. Because I've seen the film a few times before including at a theater screening last year.

I will praise the True Stories bluray, it's an unbelievable release on every conceivable level. True Stories is my favorite film so I was just in shock opening it up and going through the tons of bonus features and actually seeing the film in widescreen for once (the old DVD was cropped, a film about wide panoramic landscapes in a barren Texas town, sigh.)

The Blue Velvet bluray is a must for the tons of crazy deleted scenes. I know tons of stuff was shot for Mulholland Drive but that stuff isn't on the Criterion which is a bit disappointing.

The Brazil 3 disc collection is phenomenal though I only own the DVD and not the bluray so I'd like to replace that one day.

Ghost World is great because the liner notes have new artwork and comics by Daniel Clowes!

I am excited to open up the Night of the Living Dead one finally and check that out.
Bedbug Posted - 04/07/2020 : 12:01:24
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I have a bunch:

True Stories
Brazil
Blood Simple
Inside Llewyn Davis
A Taste of Honey
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Dr.
Ghost World
Seconds
Paths of Glory
The Killing
Night of the Hunter
Night of the Living Dead
Swing Time

My girlfriend (who I live with) has a handful too, mostly Wes Anderson and Whit Stillman movies.

That is a great list.

Tell us about the Mulholland Drive one.
trobrianders Posted - 04/07/2020 : 11:36:55
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I have a bunch:

True Stories
Brazil
Blood Simple
Inside Llewyn Davis
A Taste of Honey
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Dr.
Ghost World
Seconds
Paths of Glory
The Killing
Night of the Hunter
Night of the Living Dead
Swing Time

My girlfriend (who I live with) has a handful too, mostly Wes Anderson and Whit Stillman movies.

Great list! For being the first to respond to this thread I'm going to send you one of my spares. Get in touch with a postal address and I'll email you a list of titles to choose from.
trobrianders at gmail dot com

Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/06/2020 : 22:49:14
I have a bunch:

True Stories
Brazil
Blood Simple
Inside Llewyn Davis
A Taste of Honey
Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Dr.
Ghost World
Seconds
Paths of Glory
The Killing
Night of the Hunter
Night of the Living Dead
Swing Time

trobrianders Posted - 04/06/2020 : 04:12:44

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000