-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Frank's Demon Records re-issues, + vinyl systems

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shedshrine Posted - 08/13/2021 : 09:45:15
Banner year for Frank re-issues no? Hoping Dog in the Sand, Black Letter Days and Devil's Workshop get their vinyl debuts soon as well. Wouldn't be surprised if they came out in the near future.
Demon Records has been real busy with Frank issues and re-issued this year with Bluefinger, Oddballs, Cult of Ray, and according to this Amazon.UK link, [url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B098XTZLH1?e=infantemkl%40comcast.net&u=140646808&jb=1007&mid=6329137&j=3621220&l=30_HTML&tag=smarturl-gb-21#immersive-view_1628693853626]The Seuss[/url] coming out on a 45rpm 12inch later in the year.
Demon Records Frank catalog link (scroll down): https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/catalogue/releases/svn-fngrs-140g-white-orange-split-vinyl/
(just the BLuefinger new in these pics..)

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
auxfnx Posted - 09/12/2021 : 06:58:16
I'm LOVING this reissue series - finally being able to get Cult of Ray and Bluefinger, along with Oddballs and Abbabubba, with Svn Fngrs and the live show on the way next week :D
shedshrine Posted - 08/23/2021 : 15:41:07
I see they've gone up since I'd bought mine, up $40 to $340 direct from Lounge, but they are highly regarded, it's not just me. I don't know how much you are looking to spend, maybe somebody else on here can recommend something "cheap but good".
Got to say, I'd spring the little extra from whatever budget you are allotting for the Lounge and be done with it. One and done. You won't be disappointed. And he does offer a trial period, though a restocking fee if returned I believe. Anyway...
Here's more fuel for the fire..
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/lounge-mkiii-preamp-where-to-buy.712639/

Good luck!
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/23/2021 : 14:59:41
Oh no, way too expensive, and too risky too. Damn.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/23/2021 : 11:18:31
Interesting! I'll look into that. Thanks so much.
shedshrine Posted - 08/21/2021 : 12:55:11
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by shedshrine
And getting great sound out of a vinyl system can be quite a labor of love. But a decent phono pre and cartridge along with a good setup through a decent system will get you a good sound.

Yeah, I did all the research, bought the fancy needle, and it is hooked into my incredible Yamaha 5.1 surround sound (movies and tv sound incredible.)

Still sounds awful. Actually fatigues my ears to listen and I find it incredibly unpleasant. The treble, something in the sound of it, it is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I basically give up trying to make vinyl sound good. Clicking on a youtube video for some music sounds 1000 times better than the horrible audio coming from my record player.

Hmmm, okay.
Excellent that movies and tv sound great. That means your amp and speakers are probably good to go.
And that's great that you've got a "fancy needle" on an, I'm assuming, well functioning turntable.
Now, like you, we use a Yamaha receiver in the livingroom. It's not a surround unit, but movies and tv sound great.
You know what didn't sound great through it though? You guessed it. Vinyl. Sounded shite.

I did a little research at the time and read good things about these little Lounge Audio LCR MKIII phono pres you see to the left of the turntable below.
It's their base model, for MM cartridges.
https://www.loungeaudio.com/lcr-series

Just using Blue Jean cables for interconnects.
Vinyl is on par with the movies and tv now for sure.

Those Yamaha receivers sound good, but the phono pre on them is just kind of an add on, they don't put a lot of money into that part of the build.

Doesn't have to be a Lounge pre, but from what your telling me, and from our experience, your phono pre would definitely seem to be a weak link in your chain.

So here's our Yamaha receiver, the Lounge phono pre, a beat up technics 1200 with an Ortofon 2M blue, and some 2 way jbl bookshelf speakers. Sounds good. Definitely no "chalkboard" sounds coming out of this system.

Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/21/2021 : 09:50:33
quote:
Originally posted by shedshrine
And getting great sound out of a vinyl system can be quite a labor of love. But a decent phono pre and cartridge along with a good setup through a decent system will get you a good sound.

Yeah, I did all the research, bought the fancy needle, and it is hooked into my incredible Yamaha 5.1 surround sound (movies and tv sound incredible.)

Still sounds awful. Actually fatigues my ears to listen and I find it incredibly unpleasant. The treble, something in the sound of it, it is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I basically give up trying to make vinyl sound good. Clicking on a youtube video for some music sounds 1000 times better than the horrible audio coming from my record player.
shedshrine Posted - 08/20/2021 : 14:08:32
Going slightly off topic, but it all ties together in the big picture. I'm sure Frank would agree..from another post in another forum, but Troubles A Foot brings up a good point.

Below, Pleasures of the Unknown:
2007 remastered, textured black cover re-issue, 2019 white textured cover/ruby transparent vinyl (used 2007 remaster)

Back in the day listening as a kid on my cheap all in one stereo with tinny one cone 4" speakers, I (amazingly) often felt records didn’t have enough bass, and it could be hard to make out the high end as well…But fortunately that was what the loudness button/switch was for. That and tweaking those trusty bass and treble controls on the stereo could usually get you what you wanted. That’s already there with these "Unknown" remasters, that engulfing vibe you crave.

Listening to the 1980 first press of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures compared to the 2007 remaster: No question, the remaster sounds fuller, richer, the instruments have heft and place. More kick drum for sure, more bass presence. Having experienced that then immediately putting on the o.g., well the original sounded kinda thin by direct comparison, how could it not. Definitely not bad, sounds great, just not as immediately powerful in that context. It's a different mix. Want to match 'em? Wait, let me just crank that bass and treble..almost there. (Presses "loudness".)
Yep, that's it!

In the 'audiophile' forums you sometimes find any mention of tone controls derided as the antichrist of that sport. It's a straight wire or you're not doing it right. I get what they're saying, if your system is 'good enough' it should be giving you all that the music is providing as it was intended without having it go through uneccessary circuitry. you shouldn't need to enhance it. And that's cool and all, but sometimes your amp tone + speaker impedance + room acoustics + music format etc synergy (to use the vernacular) isn't giving you what you want to hear at the moment. With my fancy (for me) Rogue pre, Parasound amp, modded old Klipsch fortes system, yeah, no enhancement required in my tiny listening room. The situation I was mostly referring to in that last post was as a kid, listening late at night on phones. I liked the thicker, meatier more substantial atmosphere you could get messing with the loudness/bass/treble controls. All three dimed usually wasn't the destination of course.
And low volume speaker listening on my little tinny tiny initial system benefitted greatly with a boost down low and some definition up top.
shedshrine Posted - 08/20/2021 : 08:05:10
Yeah, original issue, no new ones out yet Pistolero or those Catholics albums yet (that I've heard about anyway.) Just after that photo I picked up the new Oddballs and Cult of Ray..

Something old, something new.
O.g.s on the left.
2013 Oddballs.
1996 Cult of Ray.

Haven't played and compared yet.

RE: cd vs vinyl. I get it. Given good tracking, mixing, mastering, modern cds sound fantastic. In that light, vinyl is an unneccessary, antiquated and limited music delivery system. And getting great sound out of a vinyl system can be quite a labor of love. But a decent phono pre and cartridge along with a good setup through a decent system will get you a good sound. Doesn't have the dynamic range of digital, and generalizing a generally slightly thicker sound.

What does 'decent' even mean? The brightness/darkness/sensitivity etc of the components you put together have a lot of sway over how that sound is presented. Hit up guys you run into all the time at the vinyl shops and ask them what they use, electronics repair shops that do vintage gear and the like. I just read, and talked to people, and messed around with various gear til I got something that sounded good to my ears.

Also got a nice DAC for digital too, so best of both worlds. And it really is a labor of love, the expense and inconvenience mentioned in the illustration below is true.
You can have a much simpler music enjoyment lifestyle scenario going digital. Less space taken, and money saved. Having said that, for novelty and variety having a tube amp and a solid state amp to switch between, or a different DAC to swap in and out, a second pair of speakers to swap out. These all keep it interesting as well.

Anyway, Frank Black Francis is awesome. I don't dig everything he's written, but the ones that connect do so so well I ended up getting all his albums, analog or otherwise.
johnnyribcage Posted - 08/15/2021 : 05:30:37
Wait... the catholics ones are original right? They haven't repressed FB&C or Pistolero yet have they?

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/14/2021 : 21:04:22
I wish I cared about vinyl reissues. I already have the album and it sounds just great on CD, and my record player sounds like garbage so it's a noticeable loss in quality. And I've tried multiple record players too and I've never heard one that sounds better than a CD. I'm into music and audio production and I just don't get the vinyl thing.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000