-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 R.I.P. Dave Philips

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Broken Face Posted - 02/23/2021 : 03:48:06
According to Jason Narducy (who played with Dave in Robert Pollard's band), Dave Philips has recently passed away. There's no cause of death listed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLn56t5F_S_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I first met Dave at a Catholics show in Pittsburgh, and he was very kind and patient and couldn't for the life of him remember the name of the new song that we eventually came to know as "Massif Centrale."

We met for a second time at a Pollard show and, again, he was very sweet to an overly enthusiastic fan.

To those who love him, my condolences. I'll be playing some of his work loudly today in his memory.

- Brian
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/15/2021 : 14:15:49
Oh man, just saw this. Terrible to hear.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
echo park Posted - 03/05/2021 : 03:36:03
remember the Devil's Workshop tour, when Rich Gilbert was apparently not available? (at least for the L.A. show i saw), so Dave did all the guitar and steel. lots of heavy lifting. at first i was bummed to miss Rich, but soon became amazed at Dave's appetite for the work. it was one of those no-set-list gigs. and he would run with whatever first few chords or vocals FB would throw out. also, those gigs that were just Frank and Dave, i believe there was one where Dave played steel all night, on any tune Frank would toss out. i played in a band with a good singer/writer around that time, and i would often dread the gigs where we were just a duo and he didn't want to rehearse. but they would often turn out well. Dave seemed fearless in that way, diving in to what ever random impulse FB would lead with.
danjersey Posted - 03/05/2021 : 01:33:01
What a cool muther effer
So god dam cool
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/01/2021 : 15:06:41
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

On the topic of bios, is anybody interested in a long overdue update to the biographies here? You'd need to have some writing and grammar skills, but as you can see from what's already there, the bar isn't set that high. :)

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Happy to help with this.

Sadly I never got to see the Catholics play live. Very moving reading the tributes to Dave. Love his playing on the underrated NSE too!

Thanks Ziggy, if you want to start with Dave’s in a Google doc that would be much appreciated!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 03/01/2021 : 10:00:24
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

On the topic of bios, is anybody interested in a long overdue update to the biographies here? You'd need to have some writing and grammar skills, but as you can see from what's already there, the bar isn't set that high. :)

Happy to help with this.

Sadly I never got to see the Catholics play live. Very moving reading the tributes to Dave. Love his playing on the underrated NSE too!

Thanks Ziggy, if you want to start with Dave’s in a Google doc that would be much appreciated!

Arm Arm Arm Posted - 03/01/2021 : 07:08:48
I'm sorry to read this; very sad. I think I spoke with him once before a show, told him how much I enjoyed them live and encouraged or more likely, pleaded with him for a live album. Was easy to talk to and quite pleasant. Seemed humbled I'd traveled a bit to see them play.

As for his playing, I loved it; the perfect balance to Rich's wonderful histrionics and shredding.

I haven't listened to the Catholics in a loooong time, perhaps I'll pull out some of their stuff (eventually) and give it a spin. Some bootlegs too.

I'll say a prayer for him and his family.

cheers

Ziggy Posted - 02/28/2021 : 02:04:16
quote:

Thanks Eric, good to hear from you again! Stevio, thanks for posting that link. That was a great article and I think I will be pilfering some of that to update Dave's bio in the next few days.

There was a little bit of talk with FB about Dave P and his work with Robert Pollard in episode 20 of the FB.Net Podcast.

Happy to help with this.

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/27/2021 : 06:34:23
Thanks Eric, good to hear from you again! Stevio, thanks for posting that link. That was a great article and I think I will be pilfering some of that to update Dave's bio in the next few days.

There was a little bit of talk with FB about Dave P and his work with Robert Pollard in episode 20 of the FB.Net Podcast.

echo park Posted - 02/27/2021 : 04:16:55
hey gang. been a few days and i'm still a bit stunned by this. sure wish i got to know Dave better, but i got to see him play a whole lot, with FB & the C's of course, but also with my pal Lisa Marr. i became a fan and admired his steel playing in particular. imagine my delight when we got to record together on Show Me Your Tears. i kept meaning to bug him for some tips on steel playing during those hours, but then Van Dyke Parks showed up and we were all nearly speechless and got to work. Dave was always ready. i loved watching him at the live shows, how he would zero in on Frank's head in the last few bars of a song to anticipate what song was next. he didn't seem to need a set list, and of course for many of those gigs, there was no set list! Dave was a total natural.
Stevio10 Posted - 02/27/2021 : 00:37:00
Some nice words from FB and Tommy Stinson about Dave.

I didn't know he was in Robert Pollard's band along with Tommy Keene. Going to seek out his non Catholics music.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/dave-philips-dead-frank-black-tommy-stinson-1234915925/
Newo Posted - 02/24/2021 : 14:02:36
ah that's awful news, saw him tear the roof off the place at an Irish festival on the DITS tour. condolences to his family and friends.

--

Allen Ginsberg says you got no soul. The ancient Egyptians say you got seven of these bastards, and Pharaohs got fourteen, what they get for being Pharaohs.
rodney Posted - 02/24/2021 : 11:51:05
Terrible news. I can’t believe the music press isn’t mentioning this at all.
TRANSMARINE Posted - 02/24/2021 : 02:50:18
Very sad news.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN
benji Posted - 02/23/2021 : 19:33:21
That's very sad. So young.
I too will be listening to some Catholics records nice and loud in memory.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Stevio10 Posted - 02/23/2021 : 13:51:07
It was 20 years ago this month I first saw Frank Black and the Catholics on their Dog in the Sand tour.

Dave P was always the coolest with his puff of smoke, cool clothes and power stance.

Cancer is a fucker.
Sprite Posted - 02/23/2021 : 13:06:35
Very sad news indeed. One of my favourite Catholics. RIP Dave.
vilainde Posted - 02/23/2021 : 09:29:54
This is so sad. I've been listening a lot to Catholics gigs lately, I know I always loved Dave's playing. I often wondered what he had done after the Catholics (though he has credits on FMRM & Nonstoperotik).

I remember he did smoke a lot, and Rich mentions a cancer. R.I.P. Dave.

Denis
two reelers Posted - 02/23/2021 : 09:27:51
Shocking and very, very sad. Not the kind of news about FB&TC I was hoping for. So young and so gifted. My heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
marcusb Posted - 02/23/2021 : 07:46:14
Rich Gilbert posted a tribute to Dave

https://www.facebook.com/LegendaryRichGilbert/posts/10224994749959351

-Marcus
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/23/2021 : 06:42:37
Thanks for sharing Brian, this is sad. He was still so young!

ccuadros Posted - 02/23/2021 : 05:57:28
Very sad
marcusb Posted - 02/23/2021 : 05:29:48
Incredibly sad. FB&TC were great but become so much better when he joined. RIP, Dave.

-Marcus
fumanbru Posted - 02/23/2021 : 05:22:49
Really sad news. RIP Dave.

Here's the first Youtube clip I saw of Dave. I loved it and thought, who's this new guitar player that Frank has in the band? Fantastic guitar player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL3gehT24Fk

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000