-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Beneath the Eyrie Demos, Pt. 1.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The New Bolero Posted - 01/20/2020 : 06:29:50
Good news. Looks like the demos are officially starting to trickle out. The Good Works of Cyrus; Please, Don't Go; and Chapel Hill are all on Spotify under the "single" release titled 'Beneath the Eyrie Demos, Pt. 1.' Wonder how many will come out? Probably three batches of 3-song EPs.

https://www.pixiesmusic.com/news/beneath-the-eyrie-demos
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Discoking Posted - 02/26/2020 : 01:31:14
if anyone's interested in a lossless download (cd quality), it can be acquired here, for example: https://www.qobuz.com/album/beneath-the-eyrie-deluxe-pixies/ifh4i0us5s00b

edit: i've also spotted these flac files on a certain torrent website...

it's educational
Discoking Posted - 02/26/2020 : 01:02:07
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

All the demos are on Spotify now under Beneath the Eyrie Deluxe Edition.

thanks for the heads-up!

it's educational
tamefan Posted - 02/25/2020 : 11:02:58
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

So......

If you count this as one 21 song album, then I would say you've got one of the best things he's ever done.

it's a stunning collection

Bedbug Posted - 02/24/2020 : 11:00:11
So......

If you count this as one 21 song album, then I would say you've got one of the best things he's ever done.
Stevio10 Posted - 02/24/2020 : 06:42:27
All the demos are on Spotify now under Beneath the Eyrie Deluxe Edition.
Bedbug Posted - 02/17/2020 : 09:51:59
Hasn't everyone been calling the demos "B-Sides the Eyrie" or "B-Neath the Eyrie"
Troubles A Foot Posted - 02/16/2020 : 17:59:00
Agree with everything there 100%. BTE has well crafted pop/rock songs, but the demos (which I call Beneath Beneath The Eyrie) feel more unfiltered from the heart, or guts. I've been wondering what the producer of BTE would have done to these songs and how he may have polished them up too much and I'm wondering if we lucked out.
The Maharal Posted - 02/16/2020 : 04:10:37
I'm leaning towards what 'Foot said - the demos are much more pleasing. I haven't listened to BTE in months and don't have much of an urge to do so. It's not like I have the demos on repeat every day either but every so often Mal De Mar pops into my head and makes me want to stick it on alongside 'Rewards and I Just Can't Break It To You which are probably my favourite two tracks BF has done in years.

There's something about those two. It's BF talking about his breakup, about his need for sex, about the weird transition that follows a broken relationship and the mess of emotions that entails. How he needs to "start looking for ground". But for now he's a bit screwed emotionally and that's conveyed in all these violent-sounding lyrics. Bulldozed to the ground, the roar of fighter jets, etc. It's Black being extremely confessional and you can feel his emotion - he's not doing his self-confessed "Mick Jones thing" of singing like he doesn't give a shit. The impact of all this would be lessened without the rollicking music Joey et al provide. Joey is particularly amazing on IJCBITY. There's no sheen or polish, it's raw and feels urgent and that very much suits the lyrical content.
Brank_Flack Posted - 02/11/2020 : 06:40:58
Caught in a Dream sounds like a song with potential - I think that it could be a really interesting/psychedelic song with a more lush Bossanova-esque production and ambitious arrangement (particular on Dave's part - I also don't really notice Joey). The instrumental breaks in Mal de Meer are quite beautiful. Hey Debussy is a great "Dead"-esque rocker.

Someone said elsewhere that the difference between BTE and the demos mirrors the difference between BLD and DW, which sounds about right. I still prefer BTE and BLD as more sophisticated and moodier works, but these demos are a very nice companion piece.
Ziggy Posted - 02/11/2020 : 01:45:33
I love Joey's solos on 'Caught in a Dream' and 'The Good Works of Cyrus'.

Stevio10 Posted - 02/11/2020 : 01:37:09
I hear a bit of a resemblance to Out of State in Frank's guitar parts in Caught in a Dream.

Enjoying the demos, they sound a bit like recent Dinosaur Jr in places
Troubles A Foot Posted - 02/10/2020 : 22:08:00
BTE just sounds very generic with all the edges sanded off to me. The demos sound like pure unfiltered Frank (or Pixies, I guess.) I also really do think the songwriting is better (more interesting, hits me more emotionally, surprises me more, etc.)
Bedbug Posted - 02/10/2020 : 10:26:08
Caught in a Dream might be my favorite of the six. So catchy.

So glad to have these, but in no way are they better than BTE. But love that some people think so!
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/08/2020 : 08:56:17
I’m not sure it’s an error because it’s also released on iTunes - but yeah, kind of unfair for someone that bought part 1 unless the demo itself was different.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
rivum Posted - 02/06/2020 : 08:51:10
anyone notice that:
1. Part two of the demos is on Spotify
2. It has six of the demos - three that weren't on part 1 and also the three that were!

strange thing that I can only assume was an error!
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/02/2020 : 07:27:57
Trying to figure out some of the lyrics for Chapel Hill, specifically the second spoken part.

The air is crisper. ?????. ???? on the college radio station

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Bedbug Posted - 02/01/2020 : 06:23:48
Good answer Brank Flack.

And quite honestly, it works for me. I don’t mind the way they do it. You can’t have Christmass every day.
Brank_Flack Posted - 02/01/2020 : 06:11:30
Presumably it's a marketing strategy of keeping fans engaged while they embark on a tour. From a marketing/business perspective, bands are now producers of 'content' which competes for your attention in a crowded field of other content. Albums now have a shorter life-span for arresting the individual's attention - after the initial anticipation, the cycle ends quickly upon release (unless is gets legs from yearly best-of lists/award ceremonies/ hits - which, unfortunately, the Pixies cannot rely on) as consumers move on to new content.

If I recall correctly from an interview, the pixies podcast was done with this in mind. It wasn't just promoting an album, but also producing hours of content to give the band sustained attention.

By releasing the demos in parts, those who didn't buy the deluxe edition will have their attention drawn back to the Pixies periodically throughout the year, extending the content life cycle of the sessions (3 months of podcasts, an album, and a few demos released spread out throughout 2020, generating a year's worth of 'content' out of one session). This forum is a good example - the place was dead, then there was some chatter following along with the podcast, then lots of talk about the album and demos album for a few weeks, then back to relative silence.
Discoking Posted - 01/30/2020 : 11:17:42
quote:
Originally posted by The New Bolero

Wonder how many will come out? Probably three batches of 3-song EPs.

any idea why they're doing this in three parts? what could be the reason?

it's educational
picpic Posted - 01/25/2020 : 09:43:03
Love those demos.

Cyrus riff sounds a lot like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ8lmGAXQMA

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 01/23/2020 : 04:45:08
Brief review:

https://music.mxdwn.com/2020/01/21/news/pixies-debut-three-unreleased-demos-from-beneath-the-eyrie/
Bedbug Posted - 01/23/2020 : 04:27:44
Whoops, I just posted this news on another thread ala Apple music. Just glad the songs are getting out there. Great stuff.
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 01/23/2020 : 02:15:31
The best Frank Black/Francis/Pixies release since... These songs put under perspective 2 visions. The one described in the Podcast with a band working on a product and Black Francis in a state of redemption (or surrendering) and a second vision: Spontaneous & Mysterious. What I liked about Pixies originally and what got lost ultimately IMO.
It seems that these songs mix perfectly the current dynamic of song writing by Black Francis with the traditionnal Pixies dynamic.

Death to the Albums - Long Live the Demos

And by the way: Mal de Mer is the best thing that happenned on Earth these last 6 months.

++++
Troubles A Foot Posted - 01/22/2020 : 18:15:51
The demos disc is my favorite album Frank has made in years. They are all great.
Brank_Flack Posted - 01/22/2020 : 14:18:33
I held off on listening to the demo disc. A real pleasant surprise! All really nice songs. Are these the best three of the demos, or are they all of this quality?

picpic Posted - 01/20/2020 : 10:01:04
The songs are on the band Youtube page as well, if you want to download them

___
"Service Unavailable"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000