-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black -- Live!
 Catholics Live at Melkweg?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeepster Posted - 12/04/2019 : 20:30:16
I love the Live at Melkweg album and I have no idea who plays on it. Could anybody fill me in? Oh, and how is that organ solo at the start of Gouge Away so damn transcendental???

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
billgoodman Posted - 03/18/2023 : 06:20:49
enjoy, Denis!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
vilainde Posted - 03/17/2023 : 03:38:38
Hot damn Six Sixty-Six on vinyl is quite something :)

Denis
vilainde Posted - 03/14/2023 : 02:10:13
So I ended up buying the triple vinyl... expensive but slightly less than I thought (got it for €55, the price of a Pixies ticket!) so I relented. I only listened to the first vinyl so far but it's really something. Amazing sound and there's some stuff on there that's just crazy... The countryfied version of Fiddle Riddle is worth the price alone.

Denis
ricj Posted - 02/08/2023 : 02:03:15
As I've listened to the 'Pixies version' a million times, I just want to enjoy the novelty of listening to the full version, the massive familiarity of those first few songs causing me to forget I'm listening to the full version and then having all the gaps filled in.

Stevio10 Posted - 02/04/2023 : 12:16:52
quote:
Originally posted by ricj

Still waiting eagerly for that digital release....

Me too! I used the contact section on the blackfranc.is website where it was described as 'likely but not confirmed' for digital / CD

I suppose there would probably be some period of exclusivity for the vinyl to maximise sales etc.

Would love it if it was available on Bandcamp.
ricj Posted - 02/03/2023 : 23:36:08
Still waiting eagerly for that digital release....
Stevio10 Posted - 10/25/2022 : 04:41:53
quote:
Originally posted by benji

Anyone know if it's being released on streaming platforms or any non-vinyl format for that matter?
I'd love to listen to the entire thing in this quality. I do have the complete audience recording, as well as the 7 song FM broadcast, but that's totally different.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian

From what I've learned there will probably be a digital release but it's still to be confirmed, same with cd.
benji Posted - 09/28/2022 : 19:52:24
Anyone know if it's being released on streaming platforms or any non-vinyl format for that matter?
I'd love to listen to the entire thing in this quality. I do have the complete audience recording, as well as the 7 song FM broadcast, but that's totally different.

billgoodman Posted - 09/28/2022 : 13:22:26
quote:
Originally posted by ricj

^^I can't believe it's ACTUALLY happening now!!!! These things never happen in real life!!!

Also, 99% sure I'm definitely fully responsible for the re-release of this album via my above post

Haha Thanks

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
ricj Posted - 09/28/2022 : 12:19:39
^^I can't believe it's ACTUALLY happening now!!!! These things never happen in real life!!!

Also, 99% sure I'm definitely fully responsible for the re-release of this album via my above post
ricj Posted - 12/17/2020 : 08:10:46
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this album.. I love it cos it's quite obviously brilliant but it also makes me a little angry because it's the biggest missed opportunity of all time and I really don't understand the decisions behind the runtime and tracklist...

Why put pretty much 50% Pixies songs on it when it's a FB&TC's album?!? It would've been the perfect opportunity to capture the spirit of what a Catholics live show was all about and also would've given us excellent quality live versions of so many other Frank solo songs mixed in with the amazing Catholics versions of the Pixies songs.... Such a shame... I often wonder how hard it would be to persuade The Bureau to release the rest of the show (as a digital only release perhaps)? Next year is the 20th anniversary so it'd make sense. Either that or another full show from 2001?
Bedbug Posted - 12/09/2019 : 08:37:23
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Dancing the Manta Ray is also great, the keyboards sound gives it an awesome B movie feel.

Totally agree, great description
Stevio10 Posted - 12/06/2019 : 10:02:41
Dancing the Manta Ray is also great, the keyboards sound gives it an awesome B movie feel.
benji Posted - 12/05/2019 : 15:22:35
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

Oh, and how is that organ solo at the start of Gouge Away so damn transcendental???

It is superb isn't it!
Definitely my favourite Catholics-Pixies song
There are a few cracking versions out there.
This is probably the best with a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBXYjtcreTA

Definitely EDF that started the whole organ thing, and love how Frank bought it back all those years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t62eLREiK-8

McDutchie Posted - 12/05/2019 : 09:02:28
This page has some credits: https://www.allmusic.com/album/live-at-melkweg-amsterdam-march-24-2001-mw0002317009/credits

Their format is a bit messy, so here's a cleaner list of who plays what:
  • Frank Black -- Guitar, Vocals
  • Scott Boutier -- Drums
  • Rick Gilbert -- Guitar, Keyboards, Pedal Steel, Vocals (Background)
  • David McCaffery (McCaffrey?) -- Bass, Vocals (Background)
  • Dave Phillips -- Guitar, Pedal Steel, Vocals (Background)

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000