-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 FB & TOTY reissues 2019

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
matto Posted - 02/28/2019 : 10:54:17
For Record Store Day
https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/566

4,500 copies each.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10750
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10750

--------
baby poop, curry
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shedshrine Posted - 12/22/2021 : 10:34:07
re-issues with ogs. Besides the difference in vinyl color, there's a little 'access notch' in the top of the inner sleeves. Because all the fine minutia is important..to somebody. :)

Discoking Posted - 09/17/2019 : 03:09:20
Has anyone figured out if the US reissue on black vinyl was pressed at the same plant as the one on coloured vinyl?

it's educational
marcusb Posted - 09/17/2019 : 02:58:05
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

Ooh! I didn't know the reissue also came out on black vinyl.

Looks like the reissue on black vinyl is US only.
Wasn't the conclusion about the coloured RSD records that the UK pressing was ok, but the US one wasn't? If so, I'd definitely be careful with the black vinyl US one.

it's educational

Based on discogs it sounds like the UK was better. Some people say the US version is fine. I think it sounds like it was mastered from a cassette tape. I have the US versions and am nervous about ordering the standard release.

-Marcus
McDutchie Posted - 09/16/2019 : 16:21:37
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

[...] Why was the sound quality of the interviews so poor? Hrrm.

The interviewer explains that at the start -- it was done over Skype, apparently over a slightly dodgy connection.

By the way, since the link no longer goes to the interview, here's a direct link:

https://www.rrr.org.au/on-demand/segments/pixies-frontman-frank-blacks-teenager-of-the-year-turns-25
Discoking Posted - 09/16/2019 : 10:25:20
Ooh! I didn't know the reissue also came out on black vinyl.

Looks like the reissue on black vinyl is US only.
Wasn't the conclusion about the coloured RSD records that the UK pressing was ok, but the US one wasn't? If so, I'd definitely be careful with the black vinyl US one.

it's educational
marcusb Posted - 09/16/2019 : 07:11:28
Has anyone picked up the standard black vinyl re-releases? Curious how those sound. I'm still disappointed by the RSD release.

-Marcus
Bedbug Posted - 07/23/2019 : 08:24:00
Yes, I podcast for the first FB album back story would be amazing, as would Trompe. Basically anything from the 90s.
two reelers Posted - 07/22/2019 : 10:14:05
Wo-uh!

What I always say - finally some deserved appreciation for Lyle Workman!

I sincerely wish that podcast will happen for each FB / Catholics album.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
billgoodman Posted - 07/22/2019 : 09:41:39
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Thanks Jop!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

You are welcome, Dean!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 07/22/2019 : 06:14:48
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

That was really cool but really bizarre...it seems both overly edited but not edited (why was the ending left in of him telling Frank the length of the show?) Why did he play full songs from the album multiple times? Why was the sound quality of the interviews so poor? Hrrm.

Didn't bother me too much except the ending I have to agree was quite strange. Still well worth the listen especially for those that haven't tuned in to the FB.Net podcast we used to have (a lot of similar ground but some new ground covered on this show).

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 07/22/2019 : 05:14:46
Thanks Jop!

Bedbug Posted - 07/19/2019 : 09:22:18
That was absolutely amazing.

Thank you Bill for linking! You are a good man.

There is a LOT of gold in that podcast. Must listening for a TOTY fan. Wow. Obviously TOTY deserves so much more, but we will have to take what we can get in this messed up world where people want to talk about bloody Doolittle and Kim Deal and Nirvana and who's sober this year.

Great job to the bloke who put it together.

Great job FBF and EDF, thanks for the time, stories, and perspective.

LOVED IT!!!

Need to listen to it again on the train home.

TOTY, best album ever.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 07/18/2019 : 14:22:47
That was really cool but really bizarre...it seems both overly edited but not edited (why was the ending left in of him telling Frank the length of the show?) Why did he play full songs from the album multiple times? Why was the sound quality of the interviews so poor? Hrrm.
billgoodman Posted - 07/18/2019 : 00:30:32
Frank on 25 years TOTY:

https://www.rrr.org.au/explore/programs/max-headroom?fbclid=IwAR1W1GmxhFk4BRRLXK95QC2vFvf8cljLP3kq9Jlj-hClyOJK-A3-U3m5jTI

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
trobrianders Posted - 05/31/2019 : 05:58:47
quote:
Originally posted by matto

on the secret mix:
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=54&whichpage=1

--------
baby poop, curry

Ta

vilainde Posted - 05/07/2019 : 22:27:13
quote:

on the secret mix:

--------
baby poop, curry

Ah, memories... this thread is 17 years old. I can't quite believe it.

Denis
matto Posted - 05/07/2019 : 11:50:44
on the secret mix:

--------
baby poop, curry
picpic Posted - 05/03/2019 : 04:47:37
Sounds like trompe mastered in Albini's bathroom like In Utero first mix.

___
"Service Unavailable"
trobrianders Posted - 04/30/2019 : 08:41:14
quote:

hi,
here is a zip file with Mosh and a bunch of other nice things that a very kind FBnet member sent me some years ago:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6g4o4s

--------
baby poop, curry

Thanks. But what is this Trompe secret mix by the way? Details please.

marcusb Posted - 04/22/2019 : 03:22:44
Discussion on discogs points out it's the US version getting the complaints, not the EU version.

I noticed that the surface noise on mine was only on side A of the first record on TOTY.

-Marcus
marcusb Posted - 04/20/2019 : 13:05:51
Listening to TOTY now. The overall sound is better, but not by much. Unfortunately, it's marred by a lot of surface noise. Not a big problem because so many songs are loud enough you never notice, but it is definitely there.

-Marcus
vilainde Posted - 04/17/2019 : 03:52:23
I thought it sounded better than the CD (I don't have the original vinyl), but yeah, I wasn't amazed by it. It sounds thin, like johnny says.

Denis
marcusb Posted - 04/15/2019 : 13:46:07
I just came here to post about the poor sound of the first album. It was very disappointing. I don't own the original, but I do own the CD and cassette. This actually reminds me of the cassette, albeit a higher Fidelity version. But the cassette messed with the overall sound just like this. Too much mid-range.

-Marcus
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/13/2019 : 10:45:27
Update on TOTY: sounds significantly beefier than FB, and more in line with the original pressing. I wonder if they were done at different plants with different engineers? I do wish they'd publish the sources. Not just for these, but all re-pressings these days. It's good info to know.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/13/2019 : 08:39:25
I picked them up today. I have the original pressings as well. Haven't checked out TOTY yet, but comparing FB to the original pressing, looks like the inner sleeve print and photos are blurrier, less crisp, and the sound is a little on the thin side. Not bad overall though. These will be my go-to's though instead of the originals to save wear and tear.

danjersey Posted - 04/13/2019 : 05:25:46
Got both at the record exchange on 23
Last ones
vilainde Posted - 04/13/2019 : 01:26:06
Got mine :)

Denis
johnnyribcage Posted - 03/09/2019 : 14:47:23
Looks like there is a similar thread going in the "Chat" forum that I was commenting on. In any case, I'll ask the same question here:

I'm having a hard time finding out anything about this release, other than it's RSD and on white vinyl for TOTY and orange for FB (groovy). But, as a big hi-fi / record guy, I'm wondering who mastered it, from what source, and where was it pressed. I can't find anything. I have the original pressings of both of these, and if this is just a press of a CD or some digital source, I'm really not interested. Other than the white vinyl for TOTY... that would be cool.

Has anyone seen any details?

charky79 Posted - 03/07/2019 : 10:42:30
Thanks man!
matto Posted - 03/07/2019 : 06:43:38
hi,
here is a zip file with Mosh and a bunch of other nice things that a very kind FBnet member sent me some years ago:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/6g4o4s

--------
baby poop, curry
Bedbug Posted - 03/07/2019 : 01:51:19
I don't think I've heard this either.

Are there lyrics to Adventure?
charky79 Posted - 03/06/2019 : 19:15:57
Seems like they played it just once (in London)... anybody got a recording?
matto Posted - 03/06/2019 : 09:44:59
I think any 1996 or so Cult of Ray show they played it with vocals (which are just the title of the song), same what they did with Tossed for the first tour.

--------
baby poop, curry
charky79 Posted - 03/06/2019 : 06:32:02
Mosh Don't Pass the Guy With vocals??! Where can I listen to it?
shedshrine Posted - 03/04/2019 : 06:43:05
yeah, about time!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000