-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Another Toe in the Ocean

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TRANSMARINE Posted - 09/10/2013 : 21:10:06
It is so funny to me that there seems to be on this website, from the pixiest of Pixies fans, the track that magnets the most hate. All I can say is give it a chance. It seems a lot of people give a lot of energy to 'what if' stuff like SVN FINGERS & BLUEFINGER were failed Pixies material. Irrelevant. It obviously isn't because its under a different moniker. Embrace what is now labled PIXIES. If you dont like it, then go away. OR think of it this way....does ANY Pixies material, feom album to album, sound the same? The fact that they are jumping back into the game IN THE CURRENT GAME (being maybe they should test waters by releasing random songs as a test) do any injustice to what they did naturally in the music game 20+ years ago with conceptual albums? No! When you digress, you will see they were NEVER about changing the business or the machine game of music...they were simply making music. It was different then, and they were a part of the process. I think their attitude now in where they fit in is absolutely correct. I am not a fan of incohesive music (meaning a song here and there strung along by inconclusion) but THAT has always been PIXIES conundrum. Let them release 4 songs over months thru the next year. Let them get their toe in the ocean to MAYBE revive conceptual musical art in an album form. Its all go-with-the-flow...if it weren't, an ebb would never tide. I feel a lot of backlash for Another Toe (in fact ALL of EP1) is that fans (and particularly a faction of NEWISH fans) want a revisit of 80's-90's ideals because they weren't born or were too young to be cognizant of the time. I was there when the PIXIES started. They stopped for a long time...AND they are proving to have the balls to wipe 20 years of dust off and do new things at the pace where they are not only comfortable with, but comfortable to present WHERE THEY ARE NOW...kinda like (well, kids this is directed at you) how they were back THEN where one album they presented differed GREATLY from another. Get over it. Put some effort into listening, and ultimately embrace it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I want the guy who did this. I want him. I want him bad........" TJ Hooker
-bRIAN
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 08/22/2019 : 10:59:59
I assumed all three were FBF in one form or another?

Lots of cool imagery that video. Comments helped me see the Nevermind ref and the WIMM ref.

BTW the video definitely makes me think the song is about the battle with the bottle
picpic Posted - 08/22/2019 : 10:21:19
Baby character is FB.
I think I remember some BF interview about this video and the baby character, he said people often say he looks like an big baby
(we have the proof here: https://youtu.be/eLwdjdmEfJY?t=615)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 08/22/2019 : 08:18:52
In case you missed the official video. I REALLY enjoyed this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH-vzQwcf4c
The Maharal Posted - 08/19/2019 : 11:10:14
No socks! Rock n roll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJjLkd_1PI
picpic Posted - 08/19/2019 : 10:16:58
he wasn’t making a dime out of those shows did he ?
Very punk

I think this is a review of one of the french shows (en français dans le texte)
https://www.foutraque.com/chronique_concert.php?id=2874

___
"Service Unavailable"
billgoodman Posted - 08/19/2019 : 07:35:45
That Guy has A lot from that show, which was not in Belgium
But France:

https://youtu.be/4MKQg6xV97E

It was so energetic

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
billgoodman Posted - 08/19/2019 : 07:26:00
https://youtu.be/LfXic1eVR4U

In Belgium

Bedbug Posted - 08/19/2019 : 07:03:41
I don't know if this is what anyone is talking about but I always thought this was a good job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAxdnVXh6aM
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/19/2019 : 06:16:02
[quote0

He quite literally drove all around Europe for a month, screaming his bloody head off, prowling / stalking the stage and rolling around on his back like a man possessed in front of his fans just to help work out the frustration of the whole thing (whether he realized it consciously at the time or not)...

[/quote]

Hrm, any footage or bootlegs from this tour?
peter radiator Posted - 08/19/2019 : 00:28:37
quote:
Originally posted by sdon
I liked Jason Carter's approach to recording / production, more natural and abrasive than Norton's or Dalgety's

Some of that approach has to do with personal preference on the part of FBF and Jason, but much of it is surely the result of the technical limitations / time constraints of a very low-budget project done in a much less technically phenomenal facility with far fewer bells and whistles....

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
sdon Posted - 08/18/2019 : 20:54:31
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:
Originally posted by jake3

Interviewer: “So those late-’00s Black Francis records and the records you made with Violet Clark as Grand Duchy exist because the re-formed Pixies were not yet a recording entity?”
Black Francis: “Exactly. Any of those records could have been Pixies records.”

He quite literally drove all around Europe for a month, screaming his bloody head off, prowling / stalking the stage and rolling around on his back like a man possessed in front of his fans just to help work out the frustration of the whole thing (whether he realized it consciously at the time or not)...

That tour was something else
So much raw power
BF all dressed up in black, with black nails, black shades, and no socks
Great stage presence by Ding, Normal, and Carter, very punk
Kim's or Paz's bass would have been more melodic
Dave's drumming would have had fewer fills and more hammering, not sure if for the best
Joey of course would have been the one with the most different signature
I liked Jason Carter's approach to recording / production, more natural and abrasive than Norton's or Dalgety's

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Bedbug Posted - 08/18/2019 : 04:08:31
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

The original 1940s version (and it's subsequent hit remake), which are still regarded as early ukulele standards (which likely drew FBF's attention in the event he was simply unaware of the tune from his childhood) have been pulled from YouTube due to copyright violation -- but here's a fairly recent, fairly inconsequential "modern rock-ish" cover of the song that I still maintain lies at the heart of "Another Toe," both lyrically and even in terms of the basic feel of the chord progression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Di75YbtYI

What the hell, The melody sounds like some 70s Hanna Barbera cartoon theme called Groovie Goolies.
(But thanks for the trivia, PR)

___
"Service Unavailable"

Thanks Peter and good point pic
picpic Posted - 08/17/2019 : 21:57:24
quote:

The original 1940s version (and it's subsequent hit remake), which are still regarded as early ukulele standards (which likely drew FBF's attention in the event he was simply unaware of the tune from his childhood) have been pulled from YouTube due to copyright violation -- but here's a fairly recent, fairly inconsequential "modern rock-ish" cover of the song that I still maintain lies at the heart of "Another Toe," both lyrically and even in terms of the basic feel of the chord progression:

What the hell, The melody sounds like some 70s Hanna Barbera cartoon theme called Groovie Goolies.
(But thanks for the trivia, PR)

___
"Service Unavailable"
billgoodman Posted - 08/17/2019 : 10:16:35
quote:

quote:

Interviewer: “So those late-’00s Black Francis records and the records you made with Violet Clark as Grand Duchy exist because the re-formed Pixies were not yet a recording entity?”

--

I always love your writing, Peter Radiator.
Have high hopes for your review of the new record.

peter radiator Posted - 08/17/2019 : 10:00:08
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

The sixth toe of Franks's ocean is another warning not to take the mark of the beast. Don't wait for the empty promise of the new day. Swim out of there and find new life.

--

billgoodman Posted - 08/17/2019 : 08:32:24
What Goes Boom
Indy Cindy's bridge

Bedbug Posted - 08/17/2019 : 08:15:07
Most recent Joey manic playing was which 2.0 song?
billgoodman Posted - 08/17/2019 : 03:35:37
Joey's manic playing would be interesting

Bedbug Posted - 08/17/2019 : 03:06:38
Of the songs sdon listed only a couple have any female vocals in them, so I guess those songs would be improved to the listeners who prefer Kim’s voice.

I’m not sure Joey or Dave would make all that much of a difference to those songs, hence the argument that Pixies is 95% CT4.
Stevio10 Posted - 08/17/2019 : 02:28:27
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:

Oh imagine Pixies versions of songs, carefully selected by the whole band, like Gyaneshwar, Dead Man's Curve, Threshold Apprehension, Tight Black Rubber, I Sent Away, The Seus, Fort Wayne...

We wouldn't be talking about 2.0 vs 1.0

--

This! You are right!

Would Pixies versions of those songs be better though? There's something about the off the cuff feel of Bluefinger and SVN Fngrs that make them unique. Pixifying them sounds great in theory but I'm sure for something gained there would be something lost. I'd still love to hear it though.
Bedbug Posted - 08/17/2019 : 02:25:23
Furthermore, the David and Goliath story tells us that Goliath was six cubits tall, was wearing six pieces of armor, and had a spear that weighed six hundred shekels. Six sixty six.

The Apocalypse says that the mark of the beast is six sixty six, but it also says that the beast will rise out of, you guessed it, the ocean.

The sixth toe of Franks's ocean is another warning not to take the mark of the beast. Don't wait for the empty promise of the new day. Swim out of there and find new life.
Bedbug Posted - 08/16/2019 : 12:01:26
quote:
Originally posted by fumanbru

very good drunk post trans! i don't see any gramatical errors. you did spell "guess" incorrectly on your second post but i know what you are saying.

at first i wasn't keen on toe in the ocean....but i have to say it has really grown on me.

after going over the lyrics i got a different perspective of the song.

Another Toe In the Ocean

I have a drink I start to sink
I put my toe in the ocean
Another toe in the ocean

Down on the shelf an elf I saw
I took his picture he was waving
I passed again and now they're gone
I think my picture is worth saving

No more waiting for a new day
you've got to swim sometimes
I'll be here for the rest of my life
Up in the land of green
making love in the cool, black sand
Thinking where I've been
Another toe in the ocean

Merry making with the fairies
Going down to the onion patch
To you and me to shining seas
I see the lights of Edward Thatch

No more waiting for a new day
You've got to swim sometimes
I'll be here for the rest of my life
Up in the land of green
Making love in the cool, black sand
Thinking where I've been
Another toe in the ocean

Another toe in the ocean
Another toe in the ocean
Another toe in the ocean
Another toe in the ocean

Edward Thatch : http://latinamericanhistory.about.com/od/Pirates/tp/Ten-Facts-About-Blackbeard-The-Pirate.htm

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!

Just noticing that the song has six parts, which would possibly be a reference to the six toes of Goliath of David & Goliath fame.
Bedbug Posted - 08/16/2019 : 11:59:00
quote:

quote:

--

Was that like Rockefeller Skank era?
billgoodman Posted - 08/16/2019 : 10:41:34
I loved that tour
It was weird

peter radiator Posted - 08/16/2019 : 10:16:57
quote:

--

Brank_Flack Posted - 08/16/2019 : 10:15:24
RE: Another Toe

Good verses, GREAT pre-chorus, okay chorus that would've been fine if it were not for over repetition
Fitzy Posted - 08/16/2019 : 09:12:32
A best-of of those BF albums, as a Pixies album, does sound sweet, but extremely unlikely.

Kim has that kind of capacity to wait and wait and wait, until she's happy with ideas that she's toyed with, FOR YEARS, perfecting every single note to the best of her ability.

I highly doubt that the other three guys (mainly FB, the leader of the band) have that kind of patience, refining everything for years, asking Kim of what she thinks about a cute chord progression Charles came up with just the night before the end of the recording sessions, that he's planing on calling 'Cinema Star'.

He has never worked that way. A best-of of those BF albums would be impossible for those four Pixies to record.
Bedbug Posted - 08/16/2019 : 00:35:08
You are probably right
billgoodman Posted - 08/15/2019 : 20:22:34
quote:

Oh imagine Pixies versions of songs, carefully selected by the whole band, like Gyaneshwar, Dead Man's Curve, Threshold Apprehension, Tight Black Rubber, I Sent Away, The Seus, Fort Wayne...

--

This! You are right!

sdon Posted - 08/15/2019 : 19:54:16

--
jake3 Posted - 08/15/2019 : 11:29:15
Here's the quote. The 'Threshold Apprehension' origin is new to me. Very interesting.

Interviewer: “There’s some great songs from that period, notably Threshold Apprehension, on Bluefinger (2007)…”
Black Francis: “That originally was the Pixies. That’s left over from Surfer Rosa, that chord progression.”
picpic Posted - 08/15/2019 : 10:22:29
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

any transcript from this Mojo interview somewhere ? I'd really like to read this.

Yeah...this is driving me nuts with everyone mentioning it! Can someone share it?

i can share it if you throw your @

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 08/15/2019 : 09:30:13
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

Wait, people don't like Bam Thwok? Weird. It's so insanely fun. I love that song.

I don't hate it or anything. But to act like it deserves to stay any more than any other 2.0 song is ridiculous.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/15/2019 : 09:28:30
Wait, people don't like Bam Thwok? Weird. It's so insanely fun. I love that song.
Bedbug Posted - 08/15/2019 : 09:18:46
One song Kim would not have vetoed is "You Ain't Me."

I wonder how many if any 1.0 songs got the ax from Kim? How much of this are we even supposed to believe?

And how the heck does Bam Thwok not get the axe? I feel like that was a Breeders song she axed and then threw it to the Pixies with the hopes of sinking them. Painful.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000