-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Can We Do Album Survivor?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bedbug Posted - 12/03/2018 : 09:19:16
This has probably been done several times but I don't remember seeing it.

I guess I'll host since I'm the one putting it out there. Sorry if it's annoying.

Pilgrim
Surfer
Doolittle
Bossanova
Trompe
B-Sides
FB Self-Titled
TOTY
Cult of Ray
Oddballs
Catholics Self-Titled
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop
Show Me Your Tears
Sunday Sunny...
Honeycomb
FMRM
Christmass
Bluefinger
SVN Fingers
Golem
NSE
Abbabubba
Paley & Francis
Indie Cindy
Head Carrier

First, what am I forgetting? I'm sure I missed something.
Second, sorry if they are not in exact chronological order, doing it on my lunch break,
Third, not counting best of or live albums, unless everyone thinks we should. That means no Frank Black Francis and no 93-03 and no Complete Catholics and no EP 1 EP 2 EP 3, etc. But we can add all of them in if you want since they are his albums and probably we all like some of those ones better than some of the ones on the list.

Let me know your thoughts.

Without the list changing, my first vote off would be Paley and Francis. I don't mind it but I really never listen to anything from it.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pot Posted - 09/21/2019 : 00:11:31
ooh somebody do a BTE/BTE2 track survivor now!
rivum Posted - 09/20/2019 : 04:03:24
wow bedbug, BTE as higher rated than either come on pilgrim or surfer? that is a BOLD statement
sdon Posted - 09/19/2019 : 20:31:03
I agree BTE and BTE Demos (what a sad name, we should open a thread to find a proper one, like Teenage Sirens or Grizzly Bear...) are two separate entities, stylistically , chronologically and physically

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
pot Posted - 09/19/2019 : 12:10:58
I'm going start putting 1p per day in a piggy bank to save up for the 20 year anniversary small venues demoes tour.
Bedbug Posted - 09/19/2019 : 12:08:20
Acknowledged. Things could change.
pot Posted - 09/19/2019 : 11:59:48
You can't vote a new album in as "better than Come On Pilgrim" which HAS stood the test of time. How do we know we wont hate BTE next week? Maybe it will suddenly grow tiresome. Or maybe it wont and demoes rocks. Pixies 2.0 rulez woohoo!
Bedbug Posted - 09/19/2019 : 11:22:42
Just like it was yesterday, I can remember the evening I heard Surfer Rosa for the first time in the Spring of 1990. It was kind of a life changing moment, you know? Before and after kind of thing.

Can't believe I'm doing this:

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Sunday Sunny Mill Valley Groove Day
Snake Oil
Petit Fours
One More Road for the Hit
Abbabubba
Oddballs
NSE
Indie Cindy
Honeycomb
Christmass
Cult of Ray
B-Sides
Head Carrier
FMRM
Pistolero*
SVN Fingers*
Devil's Workshop
Golem
Frank Black and the Catholics Self Titled*
Black Letter Days*
Show Me Your Tears
Dog in the Sand*
Bluefinger*
Frank Black Self-Titled
Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
<<Beneath the Eyrie>>
TOTY
Doolittle
Bossanova*
Trompe Le Monde*
Sprite Posted - 09/18/2019 : 12:36:57
Only got a chance to listen to demos in full this evening. Man they are great, it's just like a *completely* new album. I vote to include it as a separate entry.
Bedbug Posted - 09/18/2019 : 05:46:46
From what people are saying about the demos, if you counted BTE and BTE demos as one FBF release, it would probably rank in the top...
johnnyribcage Posted - 09/18/2019 : 02:36:48
I did my rank before I got the demos. Personally I’m not sure if it makes sense to include them in the ranking though. They really are like a separate item and their exclusivity kind of rules them out as a proper release to be ranked. I mean there’s only a few thousand copies (I assume, I don’t know how many they pressed), and only on vinyl, so anyone ranking them that don’t own the vinyl are basically ranking a bootleg. That said, I’m sure the band figured these would be ripped and shared... That’s just my two cents though.

I guess if we include the demos we’d have to go back and include The Purple Tape...

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Bedbug Posted - 09/18/2019 : 01:27:02
When you guys are ranking BTE are you including the demos as part of BTE or are you gonna rank that collection separately / not at all?
johnnyribcage Posted - 09/14/2019 : 17:23:30
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

One thing that strikes me about this album, specifically related to Bluefinger, is that it has that natural, off the cuff, inspired, easy feel to it that Bluefinger had, and that most of his best stuff has. That feeling is probably highly calculated and requires more than I'll ever understand to get there. But this feeling has been MIA since Svn Fingers. It's back on this one.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Thanks, I think it's a big part of why this one is resonating. That said, I wanted to amend my statement as I forgot about Golem - at it's best, on the rock edit, it has the vibe I'm clumsily attempting to describe. But that would be the exception for me between the fingers duo and BTE.

Brank_Flack Posted - 09/14/2019 : 17:17:57
quote:

One thing that strikes me about this album, specifically related to Bluefinger, is that it has that natural, off the cuff, inspired, easy feel to it that Bluefinger had, and that most of his best stuff has. That feeling is probably highly calculated and requires more than I'll ever understand to get there. But this feeling has been MIA since Svn Fingers. It's back on this one.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

johnnyribcage Posted - 09/14/2019 : 15:49:51
I can't really give this any kind of meaningful spot on the list in this extremely early, honeymoon phase. But something is different about this one. This one clearly has something going for it that the last two Pixies albums didn't have, and clearly stands above several other albums right out of the gate. It's good. It's probably great. It might be a classic.

So that said, I reserve the right to rate this too highly now and come back to kick it down (or possibly move it up??) in a few months or years!

Hard to pop it in a specific spot between two albums on the list (if we're going by the assumption that the list is gospel), but it's certainly in the top 15 for me at this point. I think Bedbug probably slotted it in the right spot under Bluefinger, if I were to give it a specific ranking.

One thing that strikes me about this album, specifically related to Bluefinger, is that it has that natural, off the cuff, inspired, easy feel to it that Bluefinger had, and that most of his best stuff has. That feeling is probably highly calculated and requires more than I'll ever understand to get there. But this feeling has been MIA since Svn Fingers. It's back on this one. What makes that interesting to me, is that Bluefinger was SUPPOSED to be a Pixies album. Or some early version of it was. I'm betting that had the Pixies just done Bluefinger it would have come across sounding a lot like BTE, minus the eerie spooky vibe they were going for here.

Bedbug Posted - 09/14/2019 : 14:28:07
Yes the * “s were rounds where we had a tie
Brank_Flack Posted - 09/14/2019 : 12:25:35
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Right now I think BTE feels like the first of the 2.0 records to really bridge the gap to Trompe. I could easily imagine it popping out in 1994 under a hail of superlative praise. Let's see if this changes. I really like HC and IC (or rather the vast majority of them) but it just *feel* different this time when I listen to the new record.

I wonder if Paz starting to flex her songwriting chops (and ideas) subconsciously made Charles up his game. Or at least move into a different headspace?

Bedbug, idiotic question, what do the * mean in your list?

Tie, I believe
Bedbug Posted - 09/14/2019 : 11:21:57
One thing is for sure, after BTE the only people who could insist upon “No Deal No Pixies” is someone who is genetically predisposed to such irrational thinking.
Sprite Posted - 09/14/2019 : 11:21:05
Right now I think BTE feels like the first of the 2.0 records to really bridge the gap to Trompe. I could easily imagine it popping out in 1994 under a hail of superlative praise. Let's see if this changes. I really like HC and IC (or rather the vast majority of them) but it just *feel* different this time when I listen to the new record.

I wonder if Paz starting to flex her songwriting chops (and ideas) subconsciously made Charles up his game. Or at least move into a different headspace?

Bedbug, idiotic question, what do the * mean in your list?

pot Posted - 09/14/2019 : 11:14:41
IC has Greens and Blues. That's it.
HC became boring too quickly. I still like it though, but nothing makes me want to go back and listen to it again.
I sense BTE has sustainibility though. It's the sort of 2.0 album that we'll hear in 10-20 years time and look back and think even greater of it from the time that has passed.
Daniel Boone and Mrs Mark of Cain should immediately be upgraded to Pixies 1.0 songs IMO
Bedbug Posted - 09/14/2019 : 10:52:53
I wonder if we’re all gonna rank it a little high this week and come back In a while and settle it a bit lower. Like with HC.

Or maybe like IC (for me) it will raise even higher!
sdon Posted - 09/14/2019 : 10:44:05
Better than Orange and Bluefinger
So, close to CoP indeed.

--
pot Posted - 09/14/2019 : 10:06:57
That's a toughie. First impressions make me inclined to put it behind the five 1.0 classic. But TOTY has to move back a bit.

Time will only tell how much some of the tracks start to wear. Thus far it's been on constant rotation since it came out. I fucking love Daniel Boone, it's the only Pixies 2.0 song that I've ever really felt like that about.
stuczuba Posted - 09/14/2019 : 07:27:04
Better than Bluefinger?
About as bold as I'm prepared to get but it's getting a lot of plays and there are no skippers.
Brank_Flack Posted - 09/14/2019 : 07:26:43
Early impression, I'm putting it in the DITS/Bluefinger tier.

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Snake Oil
Petit Fours
Abbabubba
Oddballs
NSE
Indie Cindy
Honeycomb
Christmass
Cult of Ray
B-Sides
Head Carrier
FMRM
Pistolero*
SVN Fingers*
Devil's Workshop
Golem
Black Letter Days*
Show Me Your Tears
<<Beyond the Eyrie>>*
Dog in the Sand*
Bluefinger*
Frank Black Self-Titled
Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
TOTY
Doolittle
Bossanova*
Trompe Le Monde*
Bedbug Posted - 09/14/2019 : 06:42:10
Well, we knew this was going to happen, didn't we?

Pot and Sprite brought this up on the BTE thread, so, if you're in the mood, and if you can already make a decision based on just a few days of listening to the new album, tell us where you would put Beneath The Eyrie in relation to the list below.

BTW, one of the exit questions on pages 27-28 was "where do you think the new album will rank," so it will be interesting to see if players over / under estimated it.

Have fun playing again. New players are welcome. I'll probably have an answer for myself in the next few days. But as with all FBF discs, things can change.

Paley and Francis
Let the People Speak
Snake Oil
Petit Fours
Abbabubba
Oddballs
NSE
Indie Cindy
Honeycomb
Christmass
Cult of Ray
B-Sides
Head Carrier
FMRM
Pistolero*
SVN Fingers*
Devil's Workshop
Golem
Black Letter Days*
Show Me Your Tears
Dog in the Sand*
Bluefinger*
Frank Black Self-Titled
Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
TOTY
Doolittle
Bossanova*
Trompe Le Monde*

Bedbug Posted - 06/25/2019 : 09:00:06
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

We need another game to fill the next 2-3 months!

Has there been a song survivor? Certainly couldn’t be ALL song, probably an era. Unless you wanted it to last until 2027 or so.

You can find lists like this, people ranking all Pixies songs from worst to best:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Blue_Sun/are_you_looking_for_the_motherload___all_64_pixies_songs_ranked/
two reelers Posted - 06/21/2019 : 09:04:55
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

Eeh, I only have one thing to say: TLM is of course the best album in that entire list.

And actually a second thing: Lyle Workman is underrated. Heavily underrated. His style fits BFB songwriting as good as Mr. Santiago does. COR is another forgotten jewel.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band

Those who know, know, those who don't, don't.

Seriously, I also think COR has the best / most consistent sound of all of his records. At the time of release, he stated that they wanted to sound the album like The Who's "Live at Leeds". So very recently I listened into this for the first time, and indeed, the similarity in sound is obvious. I also find this coomment interesting since I was always under the impression hat FBF never cared at all about the sound and recording, and left it all to the producer.
COR is also so strange - it mostly has these conventional rock song structures, even a ballad. But it starts off with The Marsist, which is the archetypical FBF-from-another-universe song. But then it switches immediately in 70ies punk rock style and for most part stays there (of course, just the style - below the surface the songs are so much more).
Talking about Lyle Workman, the next record (FB&TC self titled) is also pure genious.

Bedbug Posted - 06/20/2019 : 09:14:04
Interesting answers everybody
Fitzy Posted - 06/19/2019 : 13:01:41
Late to this, but what the hell:

What would your final showdown have been?
Surfer vs Bossanova

Are you happy with the way Album Survivor went?
Not enough name calling or speculations about Kim Deal rigging this whole gig

Which album hurt you the most to see voted off?
I know people seemed happy to see it go, but The Golem is really that good

Which album do you wish got voted off way before it actually did?
Show Me Your Tears. I don't understand the love for it. It has Nadine and Everything is new, but...

If your favorite Breeders album had been allowed to play, where would it have ranked?
Pod would have been in the top ten

If you favorite non FBF related album of all time had been allowed to play, where would it have ranked?
Second

Where do you think BTE might rank in this game if you just had to guess?
Top eight. But I'm a pessimist, so fingers crossed
Bedbug Posted - 06/19/2019 : 07:53:29
quote:

Eeh, I only have one thing to say: TLM is of course the best album in that entire list.

And actually a second thing: Lyle Workman is underrated. Heavily underrated. His style fits BFB songwriting as good as Mr. Santiago does. COR is another forgotten jewel.

Those who know, know, those who don't, don't.
danjersey Posted - 06/17/2019 : 15:35:05
quote:

Agreed
two reelers Posted - 06/16/2019 : 17:41:43

johnnyribcage Posted - 06/16/2019 : 10:08:44
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I was considering doing a BF song survivor going from Bluefinger up to the new Pixies stuff. But that's quite a number of songs so would need to work out logistics first.

If it wouldn’t be a logistical nightmare to accomplish on an old school forum like this we could randomly weed them and have a bracket tourney, like March madness.

The Maharal Posted - 06/16/2019 : 08:48:10
I was considering doing a BF song survivor going from Bluefinger up to the new Pixies stuff. But that's quite a number of songs so would need to work out logistics first.
stuczuba Posted - 06/16/2019 : 08:18:47
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Maybe a band member survivor?
Including Shattuck, Workman, Carter, Ding, etc

--

SAVE PAZ!

Single survivor would be possible if it was physical releases only?

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000