-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Which FB/Catholics songs should be covered..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
two reelers Posted - 04/12/2019 : 18:52:16
..., covered by the new Pixies line-up?

1) The Marsist
2) Parry the wind high, low (although I hear Kim Deal playing the bass here)
3) Solid Gold
4) Dog in the sand
5) Black Letter Day

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 04/17/2019 : 06:31:56
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

about FB stuff at a Pixies show, he answered "never". I think it was his last message on this forum. Sounds even more prophetic.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20753&whichpage=4
he was answering 2 questions at the same time but it sounds like "never" was the answer to both

___
"Service Unavailable"

It is chilling to read those words.
vilainde Posted - 04/17/2019 : 03:00:39
I once saw the Pixies play a Frank Black solo song.

OK I might be slightly exaggerating. But at a Pixies gig in Paris in 2005 (Rock en Seine festival), between 2 songs, Joey played a few notes from the outro of the Crime + Punishment In Suburbia OST version of Bullet. I know the concert was broadcast on TV and available on torrent, it might be worth checking if it did happen or if I dreamed it :)

Anyway, my vote goes to Bullet!

Denis
picpic Posted - 04/17/2019 : 00:30:18
about FB stuff at a Pixies show, he answered "never". I think it was his last message on this forum. Sounds even more prophetic.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20753&whichpage=4
he was answering 2 questions at the same time but it sounds like "never" was the answer to both

___
"Service Unavailable"
two reelers Posted - 04/14/2019 : 06:16:53
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Los Angeles
Ten Percenter
Speedy Marie
The Marsist
Dead Man's Curve
Living on Soul
Sing for Joy
Tight Black Rubber
Gyaneshwar

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

Yes.....Ten Percenter and Living on Soul, how could I forget. Dave on the drums on these ones, perfect.

Disagree with any of the TOTY songs. In my view, they are too quirky/comical/weird even for Pixies (mainly in their arrangements). The straight-forward rockers fit the current Pixies better, I think.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Bedbug Posted - 04/13/2019 : 12:28:06
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Anything from imperial FB albums, including Oddballs

They also should remake IC

Why do folks refer to those pre-catholics albums as "imperial?"

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

I believe that was discussed on a thread called Which Incarnation of the man blah blah blah

I’m not sure where it originated.

I think I argued that the man we see on those 93-95 albums is the truest form of the man. Lots of ink was spilled on if being BF or FB matters, and, if so, to what degree. One side says there’s no difference. The other side says you don’t see a difference between Trompe and Honeycomb? Then it further subdivides.

Some say it’s all nonsense or waste of time to discuss. Personally I think it’s one of the best discussions on the forum, and is further evidence of David Lynch’s influence on the man. Cooper / Charles.

Conspiracies start flaring up all over the place. His presence when I saw him in 93 was so different from when I saw him in 92. Was it really him? If Sally only saw 1.0 perform, and Susan only saw 2.0 perform, did they see the same band? If not, why are they called Pixies? If so, of what use is the 1.0 / 2.0 label.

I think Peter’s interpretation of Charles’ comment to you is quite valid. I also think it could be a glimpse into an entire world / unseen hand behind the scenes of which we will never really know. “Death to the Pixies” is a murder mystery isn’t it?
Jamie Posted - 04/13/2019 : 10:17:01
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator
He's not going by that name anymore. And "Black Francis" does not appear on those records.

This notion might seem silly or pedantic to some, but I think it may be very real (and in some ways crucial) to him as a musical artist.

I never got the impression that the stage name was particularly important to his creative process. I think it's always just been marketing, for lack of a better term. Black Francis to sound cool and mysterious, Frank Black because it's awkward to try and make people call you Black Francis, then back to Black Francis to try and appeal to Pixies fans.
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/13/2019 : 09:33:20
That all sounds right to me, and I never doubt his sincerity, on anything. He did sign my LP of SMYT though at a Black Francis gig as Frank Black, and he signed my Pistolero LP as Frank Black at another BF gig. I certainly don’t mind, my comments aren’t about the autograph so much as about wondering how he feels about those songs these days. It’s his prerogative, and signing things probably has to get old.

peter radiator Posted - 04/13/2019 : 09:22:02
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Not sure what his relationship with or feelings about those songs are these days. Especially the FB and TOTY tracks. I mention that because I asked him to sign my LPs of those after a gig a few years ago and he kind of demurred a little and said, "Ahh... no sorry, I can't. It's hard to explain... Sorry." In the past he was always more than willing to sign stuff. He might have just not been feeling it and just wanted to get out of there. And, of course, there is a damn good chance that it was me, rather than the albums...

It could have been anything at all, really, but there is a part of me that feels that the moment he started referring to himself publicly as being "previously known as Frank Black," that may have been the moment he sincerely "retired" that persona, and with it, most if not all of those songs from his live repertoire.

I mean, what does he sign on those early FB albums? "Frank Black?"

He's not going by that name anymore. And "Black Francis" does not appear on those records.

This notion might seem silly or pedantic to some, but I think it may be very real (and in some ways crucial) to him as a musical artist.

I believe when he says "It's hard to explain...", that is probably true and quite sincere.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/13/2019 : 09:09:38
It's a damn shame they don't play any of his non-Pixies stuff, but I totally understand why. I suspect they never will. There are just so many great songs in mothballs though - it's a bummer. He does little one-off solo gigs once in awhile (although those have mostly dried up) where he'll dig into the catalog. Who knows if we'll ever hear them performed by a full band again. He's said his solo career is "over."

Not sure what his relationship with or feelings about those songs are these days. Especially the FB and TOTY tracks. I mention that because I asked him to sign my LPs of those after a gig a few years ago and he kind of demurred a little and said, "Ahh... no sorry, I can't. It's hard to explain... Sorry." In the past he was always more than willing to sign stuff. He might have just not been feeling it and just wanted to get out of there. And, of course, there is a damn good chance that it was me, rather than the albums...

I suspect there are a lot of complex emotions around the solo career, how it started, how the Pixies split, etc. Might be pretty weird at best for the Pixies to play those songs. Or maybe not. What do I know?

All that said, I think several songs would be great performed by the Pixies, but they would need to be Pixie-ish I think for it to work right and slot in with everything else, i.e. not be a jarring shift in style:

I Switched You comes to mind right away. Calistan, Captain Pasty, Threshold, and Bullet would probably all work.

johnnyribcage Posted - 04/13/2019 : 08:50:00
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Why do folks refer to those pre-catholics albums as "imperial?"

Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/13/2019 : 06:37:58
Is it too on the nose to say Garbage Heap and Threshold Apprehension?

For a left field one, how about The Creature Crawling
sdon Posted - 04/13/2019 : 02:28:04
Los Angeles
Ten Percenter
Speedy Marie
The Marsist
Dead Man's Curve
Living on Soul
Sing for Joy
Tight Black Rubber
Gyaneshwar

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Bedbug Posted - 04/12/2019 : 22:15:32
Two reelers: “two reelers”?
pixiestu Posted - 04/12/2019 : 21:40:01
This is just off the top of my head but I think Heloise would sound pretty good with some Joey guitar weirdness and female backing vocals.
Bedbug Posted - 04/12/2019 : 21:04:05

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000