-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Violet Clark thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
matto Posted - 10/31/2013 : 16:48:59
For the purpose of discussing her current and forthcoming releases. (which I happen to like) (and assuming we're allowed to do so here - if there's any objections go ahead and delete this.)

Of relevant interest: her live band includes Jeremy Dubs, de facto Pixies v. 2.0 recording member. Will her record include him and anyone else in the Pixies family?

from thebureaurecords.com:

Violet Clark’s Debut Solo Gig At The Parlor Room
October 29, 2013 By Donny

Violet Clark and her band of Western Massachusetts musicians (Noam Schatz, Matt Silberstein, Jeremy Dubs, and Jack Godleski) are playing their debut show at The Parlor Room in Northampton, MA this Friday, November 1st. Doors are 7:30pm, with openers Home Body performing at 8pm. Tickets can be purchased HERE. Violet’s second gig, in anticipation of her November 19th album release for “Killjoy”, is on 11/11 at The Elevens in Northampton, MA. Joining Violet on this bill are Bunnies, Gringo Star, and Mark Schwaber. Tickets are HERE.

KILLJOY
October 18, 2013 By Donny
VIOLET CLARK charges out from under the shadow of her legendary husband (and ex- Grand Duchy band-mate) Black Francis (Pixies) with the release of her unabashedly defiant solo debut KILLJOY – out November 19th on THE BUREAU RECORDS

Violet Clark PURE O
July 8, 2013 By Donny

Coming out on July 16: The brand new single from Violet Clark, Pure O, plus its B-side, the Ariel Pink cover She’s My Girl

--------
baby poop, curry
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pot Posted - 04/10/2019 : 04:30:50
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

LTPS is not very popular around here is it

Doesn't seem to be, but I like it. It's not on my daily playlist though.
picpic Posted - 04/10/2019 : 04:06:03
LTPS is not very popular around here is it

___
"Service Unavailable"
pot Posted - 04/09/2019 : 16:50:15
I'm just spreading the celebrity gossip. I could have created a new thread but decided to search for an old thread it an put it in there. As for the sprogs? Well, lots of well known artist's descendants go on to follow in their footsteps, and didn't Julian design the artwork work the Bluefinger sleeve? So there's potential there for future musical expression that may emanate from the soul of Frank Black. Other than that I couldn't really give a toss, I don't even care about the new Pixies album that's coming out. Too much other stuff worth paying attention to.

LTPS is on your daily playlist?
picpic Posted - 04/09/2019 : 00:49:36
I'm more concerned over the pot/natenate101 split to be honest.

But sad. Great musical/vocal alchemy between those two. Let the people speak is on my daily playlist.

Had Violet anything to do with 2003/04 reunion ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Sam Posted - 04/08/2019 : 23:02:51
quote:
Originally posted by pot

[quote]Originally posted by coastline

Nate's right. Frank and Violet's lives have zero to do with ours, Perhaps just another bizarre reason to have a dig at me over nothing again; I thought that beast was long gone.

I don't think its's a dig at you pot. Its just a post that is cognizant that both parties read this forum and the subject is personal and private.
Don't take things so personal yourself, you seem prone to blowing a fuse. Chill man, it almost like your username is random

pot Posted - 04/05/2019 : 22:12:50
How would this affect an album reissue? Which one anyway...

No reason why there can't be a new GD album either. You don't have to be married to someone to make an album with them.
McDutchie Posted - 04/05/2019 : 18:41:12
Well, shit... I hope they're both alright and I'm glad to hear it's not acrimonious.

Also, guess that planned Grand Duchy reissue is definitely not going to happen now. :(
pot Posted - 03/27/2019 : 01:10:23
quote:
Originally posted by coastline

Nate's right. Frank and Violet's lives have zero to do with ours, outside of the art that drew us all to him. It's bizarre to be concerned with their day-to-day shit. But I'll say this: Honeycomb, which was clearly about a transition in Frank's life -- from his first wife to his second -- was the soundtrack to an important part of my life and my marriage, and I'm sad to hear that Frank and Violet are "joining the stats."

Oh right. Completely outrageous to be concerned with the fact Frank has separated from someone who was also an artistic collaborator on several albums, absolutely no relevance to anything there. Nothing to be concerned about, although you are apparently a little concerned anyway it seems. So anything about his personal life that his lyrics refer to is perfectly normal to discuss, especially if has some relevance to your own personal life. Perhaps just another bizarre reason to have a dig at me over nothing again; I thought that beast was long gone.
coastline Posted - 03/26/2019 : 19:49:04
Nate's right. Frank and Violet's lives have zero to do with ours, outside of the art that drew us all to him. It's bizarre to be concerned with their day-to-day shit. But I'll say this: Honeycomb, which was clearly about a transition in Frank's life -- from his first wife to his second -- was the soundtrack to an important part of my life and my marriage, and I'm sad to hear that Frank and Violet are "joining the stats."

I used to walk in a big black cloud
You took my hand and you led me out
A nest of demons played on my chest
You picked me up and you laid them to rest
It's a pain to be sure
We were aiming so high
It's so strange to be saying goodbye
We saw the world from an automobile
Saw the best views over 10,000 meals
Funny how an evening turns into years
Funny how we're laughing
Through all of these tears.
It's a pain to be sure
We sure gave it a try
It's a shame to be saying goodbye
Oh my darling shall we have one more dance
A prayer to the rain god to give one more chance
The water will cleanse us, we spin on the plain
Take us to the ocean to find love again
It's a pain to be sure
We were aiming so high
It's a pain that endures
We sure gave it a try

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
pot Posted - 03/19/2019 : 10:48:47
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

I'm done. Wasting energy trying to get this point across to you anyway.

Well feel free to direct whatever negative energy you need to get out your system up someone else's ass next time; because I have no idea what possible issue anyone could have with the comments I made.
natenate101 Posted - 03/19/2019 : 10:39:53
I'm done. Wasting energy trying to get this point across to you anyway.
pot Posted - 03/19/2019 : 07:37:59
quote:

You are speculating about what could be best for another person's children/wife. That's ridiculous. You don't know their schedules, you don't know their day to day existence at all. That's my problem.

No mate. I'm just saying their dad/stepdad is a famous musician and he's been more or less constantly on tour at some point over the past few years, or overseas in a studio so he'll not have been around to spend time with them on a regular basis as much as a parent who doesn't travel all around the world as part of his job would.

I'm just saying that a parental separation in this instance will likely not make a huge difference to how much they see their dad anyway. It's not an accrimonious split, and they'll still see him a lot, and they're both still going to be there for them.

I'm not in any way "speculating about what could be best" for them. I'm just considering how the current situation might affect them, and I'm hardly delving deep into their personal lives or being insensitive here, so maybe just get over it?
natenate101 Posted - 03/19/2019 : 07:27:22
You are speculating about what could be best for another person's children/wife. That's ridiculous. You don't know their schedules, you don't know their day to day existence at all. That's my problem.
pot Posted - 03/19/2019 : 07:16:30
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Will it make a lot of difference to the kids? Charles seems to spend most of his time of tour anyway, so the overall situation will remain more or less the same in terms of how much they see of their dad/stepdad. Just saying.

As for Violet, if she's unhappy being on her own a great deal of the time then maybe it's better for them both to separate, romantically.

This speculation should probably stop folks. "Will it make a lot of difference to the kids?" Bizarre question from someone who doesn't know any of these people at all. Cringed hard reading that.

Right. Who is Frank Black? And Violet invited me to be friends on facebook years ago after I spoke to her on MySpace. They are celebrities. We all know things about their personal lives. They have told us these things.

She hasn't shared this information publicly on her facebook though it seems, but she shared this information with everyone on her friends list. But maybe I shouldn't have posted it on here; it's hardly a secret though.

I just thought folk on here would be interested to know. It's hardly celebrity gossip. What's your problem?
natenate101 Posted - 03/19/2019 : 07:00:29
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Will it make a lot of difference to the kids? Charles seems to spend most of his time of tour anyway, so the overall situation will remain more or less the same in terms of how much they see of their dad/stepdad. Just saying.

As for Violet, if she's unhappy being on her own a great deal of the time then maybe it's better for them both to separate, romantically.

This speculation should probably stop folks. "Will it make a lot of difference to the kids?" Bizarre question from someone who doesn't know any of these people at all. Cringed hard reading that.
pot Posted - 03/19/2019 : 03:41:04

Discoking Posted - 03/19/2019 : 02:51:08
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

I can’t get behind the silver-lining-maybe-we’ll-get-some-good-songs thing. It’s just a bummer no matter what, especially with kids.

yes, i agree.

quite an awful thing to think, in my opinion.
not sure if it makes any sense to begin with, but even if it did, it's not very decent to go, oh well, at least bla bla bla
shame on you! /highhorse

it's educational
johnnyribcage Posted - 03/18/2019 : 06:17:54
This is indeed a bummer. Really sorry to hear. I can’t get behind the silver-lining-maybe-we’ll-get-some-good-songs thing. It’s just a bummer no matter what, especially with kids.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
yarbles Posted - 03/16/2019 : 12:03:41
I saw Violet's post about this as well. I find it very sad, she however seemed to be taking things as positive as possible, saying that they simply have become different people over the years than they once were. She posted this right before the current tour started, which makes me think that she knew there would be darker lyrics coming out in these new songs, and I can kinda see it. Death Horizon.... Graveyard Hill (Witching hour.... soon I will be killed...)... Saint Nazare ... (I'm done with talking to you... and I don't want to be true....)

Anyway. It's sad and I feel bad for them. But, on the bright side, we could be getting some deep songs on the record.
sdon Posted - 03/12/2019 : 09:37:07
Hoping for Please Don't Go to be on GC (but not sang by Paz)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
pot Posted - 03/12/2019 : 09:02:21
Is it Charles saying "please don't go" to Violet, or Violet saying "please don't go" on tour again with this band of yours..
The Maharal Posted - 03/12/2019 : 08:53:44
The directness of Please Don't Go makes a bit more sense now.
Discoking Posted - 03/12/2019 : 04:16:27
oh no

it's educational
Bedbug Posted - 03/12/2019 : 03:26:49
Had the same thought but didn't want to verbalize it.

Hope they're both doing ok.
sdon Posted - 03/11/2019 : 22:56:54
quote:
Originally posted by pot

So I was on facebook the other day and Violet posted up that her and Charles are going their separate ways. Didn't read the full post, but got the jist. They are separating.

That's unexpected and sad
But that's life
And it could mean great deep songs

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
pot Posted - 03/10/2019 : 13:30:45
I think the Violet/Bluefinger years could have carried on for another few albums at least.

I can hear the difference in Art Brut's new album/post Carter studios. They had the rig there and should have rolled with that.
pot Posted - 03/10/2019 : 12:47:30
So I was on facebook the other day and Violet posted up that her and Charles are going their separate ways. Didn't read the full post, but got the jist. They are separating.
Jason Posted - 11/30/2013 : 06:19:04
Looking over the Grand Duchy page on Facebook, two very intriguing releases, one which sounded definite and one which sounded like more of a "maybe", were mentioned last June:

NEWS: "Dark Sparkles and the Beat" 12" EP in the works! The four song ep will contain the album version of the track, plus two remixes of "Dark Sparkles" and a Justin Warfield-remixed version of "Shady". ON COLORED VINYL.

and

Did you know that David J of Bauhaus and Love and Rockets fame actually mixed a version of "Petits Fours" that did not end up being released?

It was a bit more polished than I was going for in certain places -- and a bit LESS polished than I wanted, in other places. Lots of reverb!!! LOL. He radically redefined a few of the songs. I wasn't prepared for some of his calls. It came down to a lack of communication. We had no input during the mixing - it was a very mysterious process. When we got the results, I kind of panicked. I rejected his vision, and mixed it myself. In hindsight, I was being a novice control-freak. He was a seasoned pro, making some inspired and sincere choices, and yeah, he took some risks. I'm ready to share his version now. A re-release, five years later, maybe on vinyl...

The Bureau works slow and the audience for these records is small so I wouldn't hold my breath for any of it, but some vinyl would be cool.

Violet posts pretty frequently on Facebook from her own Violet Clark solo fan page. She'd probably be happy to answer questions about future releases there.
McDutchie Posted - 11/30/2013 : 06:18:37
Hi, my name is Nobody. I like VC's new album.
matto Posted - 11/30/2013 : 05:17:04
Anyone recall or know if a vinyl release was part of the plan? Grand Duchy re-release as well....

--------
baby poop, curry
Jason Posted - 11/29/2013 : 19:16:18
Nobody here will like it, but the new album is pretty cool. The second Grand Duchy album was darker and weirder than the first and this solo album goes further down that road. It has an angry mood throughout and some nice synth hooks. It sounds great on a night drive.
Jason Posted - 11/19/2013 : 03:44:42
Her new album is out now. Just ordered it from The Bureau.
Helmut Posted - 11/10/2013 : 15:04:30
Her best stuff was written and sung by Black Francis. Thank god the Pixies were smart enough not to replace Kim Deal with her.
Jason Posted - 11/03/2013 : 17:06:16
"Pure O" is a great song.
peter radiator Posted - 11/03/2013 : 11:23:36
Gringo Star are nice folks and a really interesting, musically impressive and captivating live band.

I saw some of their earliest road gigs (under another name) and have caught them several times since.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000