-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 New album expectations

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
picpic Posted - 12/30/2018 : 09:30:34
I'm doing my best Bedbug impression here. What are your expectations ?

Mine:

- More Joey (he was great on HC but maybe a bit stuck in his trademark two-string bends and usual tricks - need more melodies !)
- Paz: she's a good musician, she can play other instruments
- Dave: a litte more fantasy
- Black Francis: continue to amaze us
- Message to the band (even if it's too late !): Screw fans ! Step out of your comfort zone. We don't need a Surfer Rosa 2.0.

___
"Service Unavailable"
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 04/29/2019 : 06:57:38
Would love it if none of the new songs played this tour are on the album.
Brank_Flack Posted - 04/16/2019 : 11:05:50
Thanks, nice little number!
yarbles Posted - 04/15/2019 : 14:02:24
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

What is this "Please Don't Go" people are speaking about?

A new song BF played at a one off solo gig a bit over a year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI8nFldqpaM
Brank_Flack Posted - 04/15/2019 : 13:20:09
What is this "Please Don't Go" people are speaking about?
sdon Posted - 03/31/2019 : 02:08:36
I would have loved O Little Cloud and Please Don't Go on GC
Not hoping too much though
The idiom is more Bossanovesque to methan Pilgrimesque so far. Most lyrics seem more interesting than on HC also. Joey is really great. Mrs Cain would be half as good without him. Graveyard Hill is full on Joey too.
A good step forward seemingly

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
johnnyribcage Posted - 03/30/2019 : 15:39:20
The new songs I've heard sound great, they sound casual and loose, and i'm gonna kick whatever's left of the dead, horribly abused carcass of the horse across the room again and say that as long as it's recorded without too heavy of a hand, it's almost certainly going to be really good. I'm not expecting a Surfer Rosa mics-taped-to-the-floor warehouse sound. It can sound modern, fresh, and ballsy without being brickwalled. Exhibit A: Bluefinger.

One thing I am picking up on the new songs - they feel very much like songs purposefully written in the Pilgrim through Doolittle Pixies idiom, if there is such a thing. In that regard, a bit of a devolution, a step backwards. But an exciting step backwards.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
The Maharal Posted - 03/29/2019 : 09:40:34
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I think the next great Pixies album will be whatever Future of the Left put out later in the year.

The last good album by them was the last good Mclusky album

Sacrilege.

I think O Little Cloud might be left as a demo forever. Good thing it's an excellent demo.
Bedbug Posted - 03/29/2019 : 09:13:08
This is out of left field, but I am not expecting O Little Cloud to be on this album, but I really hope I'm wrong (unless they compress the poor little cloud to death, then better off left off the album)
jake3 Posted - 03/29/2019 : 07:27:24
quote:

I think the next great Pixies album will be whatever Future of the Left put out later in the year.

Agreed.

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I'd argue every album they've released is at least good, but mostly great. 'How to Stop Your Brain In an Accident' is superb.
Bedbug Posted - 03/29/2019 : 00:52:56
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Never heard of them until the forum mentioned them
pot Posted - 03/28/2019 : 10:39:30
quote:

The Maharal Posted - 03/28/2019 : 09:47:58
pot Posted - 03/28/2019 : 01:28:28
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by pot

ANy new Pixies album expixtations are always overshadowed by younger indie bands who have up and coming album releases. Oh look I just invented a new word for the new millenium.

Is there such a thing as “younger indie bands”?

I’m an old man and only know about old bands

Yes indeed. I try to educate some of you old fogies on here

I'm an old man too but young at heart...
Bedbug Posted - 03/28/2019 : 01:23:54
quote:
Originally posted by pot

ANy new Pixies album expixtations are always overshadowed by younger indie bands who have up and coming album releases. Oh look I just invented a new word for the new millenium.

Is there such a thing as “younger indie bands”?

I’m an old man and only know about old bands
pot Posted - 03/28/2019 : 01:14:35
Bedbug Posted - 03/28/2019 : 00:58:49
My expectations for the new album are considerably higher than they were before this current tour began.
Bedbug Posted - 01/19/2019 : 22:37:51
I took the thread topic to be less about what we want and more about what we actually think will happen.
pot Posted - 01/19/2019 : 11:18:57
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

I have no “expectations” per se. I don’t even know what I’d like. Certianly not an attempt to capture the 1.0 lightning in a bottle. I think more than anything I’d just like to be surprised, ideally in a good way, by whatever it is. Something that catches me off guard.

Nails it. Off guard. That's what we want.

What do we want? Off Guard!
trevgreg Posted - 01/19/2019 : 10:53:05
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde
But how someone, so creative as they are, can spend 15 years doing the same fucking concert each night is just beyond me.

This is the type of post I see on just about every other band's message board. Not so much of a Pixies one though.

quote:
Plus the fact that he's only got so much time and energy, and many other responsibilities, that to do a fun one man show of b-sides, covers, requests, and other oddities, accompanied by a weirdo like EDF, just wouldn't be worth it for the couple thousand bucks he'd end up with.

Ditto.
johnnyribcage Posted - 01/19/2019 : 09:35:13
I have no “expectations” per se. I don’t even know what I’d like. Certianly not an attempt to capture the 1.0 lightning in a bottle. I think more than anything I’d just like to be surprised, ideally in a good way, by whatever it is. Something that catches me off guard.

danjersey Posted - 01/11/2019 : 08:32:41
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

Just go for broke and 'The adventure and the resolution' the fuck out of everything. Kitchen Sink the next one with weird, unfinished stuff (for example, 'Snakes' would still be pretty cool if it was just a variation of that intro). Fill it up with non-traditional Pixies material, like 'Meet me at the ghetto gates'-type stuff. Just stay away from boring songs (I'm looking at you, 'Please Don't Go').

other than the usual (would rather hear a new FB&C album) I agree with this
picpic Posted - 01/08/2019 : 23:56:57
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan
-- and of course the blissful Plaster of Paris: its subtle build from 1:10 to 1:30 elevates us to the heavenly apogee of 2.0. Pixies ("I'll be the son of a son of a son of a bastard.") It's no wonder this track, and this moment of exaltation, was the record's original namesake.

Really ? I thought it was "Cephalophore" ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
The Maharal Posted - 01/07/2019 : 08:31:08
Don't really expect anything fantastic. What I'd LOVE them to do is something similar to what Fitzy said, weird unconventional stuff. Pere Ubu's Carnival of Souls album from a few years ago - some of that is unhinged, weird, nuts, etc. And the first track Golden Surf II rocks. They are similar bands and I often wish BF could make a ballsy album like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHfZovOsXlI

The thing about any new Pixies album - there WILL be nuggets of gold. Of course there will be. But that just makes it a greater shame that he's no longer cracking out an album a year like he used to do.
Bedbug Posted - 01/07/2019 : 06:40:23
quote:
Originally posted by tamefan

I expect nothing from the new album. Na-da. Zilch.

LP7 will be a triumph if it includes even one track that I would happily listen to during a live set, content with knowing that it's crowding out coin-flip songs like Dead, River Euphrates, Rock Music, Tame, and No. 13 Baby. (How those songs aren't setlist staples is beyond me.)

By that rather simple standard, Indie Cindy utterly failed to produce anything of value. Head Carrier produced two worthy setlist detours: Baal's Back: a nasty little song with a dirty rhythm -- it gets me (and the audience, from my experience) dancing from the first beat -- and of course the blissful Plaster of Paris: its subtle build from 1:10 to 1:30 elevates us to the heavenly apogee of 2.0. Pixies ("I'll be the son of a son of a son of a bastard.") It's no wonder this track, and this moment of exaltation, was the record's original namesake. When the Pixies get it right, they get it perfect.

If this album can do that again, even just once more, even just for twenty seconds, I'll be grateful.

I am already a tamefan fan
tamefan Posted - 01/07/2019 : 06:21:33
I expect nothing from the new album. Na-da. Zilch.

LP7 will be a triumph if it includes even one track that I would happily listen to during a live set, content with knowing that it's crowding out coin-flip songs like Dead, River Euphrates, Rock Music, Tame, and No. 13 Baby. (How those songs aren't setlist staples is beyond me.)

By that rather simple standard, Indie Cindy utterly failed to produce anything of value. Head Carrier produced two worthy setlist detours: Baal's Back: a nasty little song with a dirty rhythm -- it gets me (and the audience, from my experience) dancing from the first beat -- and of course the blissful Plaster of Paris: its subtle build from 1:10 to 1:30 elevates us to the heavenly apogee of 2.0. Pixies ("I'll be the son of a son of a son of a bastard.") It's no wonder this track, and this moment of exaltation, was the record's original namesake. When the Pixies get it right, they get it perfect.

If this album can do that again, even just once more, even just for twenty seconds, I'll be grateful.
Bedbug Posted - 01/05/2019 : 10:11:03
I appreciate your view and passion and everything vilainde, I really do. And I'm with you all the way.

I've brought up the unseen hand before, and I keep wondering if it's true:

Is there some producer type principality that discourages FB (or other artists in his situation) from doing little side gigs, one man shows, random events, etc., because it takes away from the bottom line at the big shows (the Weezer shows, etc)?

Plus the fact that he's only got so much time and energy, and many other responsibilities, that to do a fun one man show of b-sides, covers, requests, and other oddities, accompanied by a weirdo like EDF, just wouldn't be worth it for the couple thousand bucks he'd end up with.

What is the total number of people on earth that want to hear him perform Calistan? Fewer than one hundred?
vilainde Posted - 01/05/2019 : 07:00:57
Thinking about it, I think it's the touring that angers me more than the new albums. If there were 3 years between each new release, but because they did something else meanwhile (don't know, painting - is he still doing this? - , composing soundtracks, guesting on charity compilations... I don't know, sail around the world or something), I'd understand it. But how someone, so creative as they are, can spend 15 years doing the same fucking concert each night is just beyond me. I'll listen to the new album. I did buy Head Carrier the day of its release and I like it quite a lot. But learning they'll do yet a new Pixies/Weezer tour in 2019 makes me want to bash my head against a wall.

Denis
vilainde Posted - 01/05/2019 : 06:54:26
quote:
But if vilainde means something a la the imperial era, then I'm with him 100%.

I mean, we all would love to get back to that era. An album a year (sometimes 2), small club tours, constant experimenting. It's hard to ask someone to earn LESS money though... But 10-15 years ago I was eagerly counting the days when I'd run into the record store to get the new FB album; last week I passed without stopping by the SR/CoP reissue (yeah! the same albums we've had for 30 years, PLUS yet another live gig!) and I died a little inside.

Denis
Bedbug Posted - 01/04/2019 : 04:08:39
I know, I was gonna say, aren't all his albums Frank Black albums.

But then of course we'd have that whole debate again and then be here for a while.

But if vilainde means something a la the imperial era, then I'm with him 100%.
picpic Posted - 01/04/2019 : 03:41:46
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
If you're not excited now for the new Pixies album, what WOULD get you excited for the new Pixies album?

I want a new Frank Black solo album.

Denis

You'll get one later this year.

(featuring the Pixies as the backing band)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 01/03/2019 : 20:13:11
Me too
vilainde Posted - 01/03/2019 : 10:50:25
quote:
If you're not excited now for the new Pixies album, what WOULD get you excited for the new Pixies album?

I want a new Frank Black solo album.

Denis
pixie punk Posted - 01/01/2019 : 06:11:19
http://www.dreamlandrecording.com/console/ I'm sure Mr.Dalgety got heavenly and devilish sounds on that console.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Jeepster Posted - 01/01/2019 : 06:02:13
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10
The Pixies original ethos (to me anyway) was indie art rock borrowed from the Velvet Underground minus the glam.

Maybe they never bothered dressing the part, but the artsy proto-punk kind of glam rock was definitely an influence on the music.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Stevio10 Posted - 01/01/2019 : 05:17:40
True, TOTY has 3 Pixies if you count EDF. Though I don't know if the naysayers would allow him to be classed as an official member. I would!

My previous post wasn't aimed at anyone I was more just vent posting. I was thinking about when the Catholics went from Lyle to Rich or to Dave P there was no (from what I recall) thoughts of the Catholics being a different band or a different carnation.

But then again the change of personnel with the Catholics was during their life cycle and they have not been reincarnated or rebooted which is how I guess the Pixies are probably viewed now.

That got me to thinking about the ethos of both bands. The Catholics ethos was to record live to 2 track and any change of personnel did not change that.

The Pixies original ethos (to me anyway) was indie art rock borrowed from the Velvet Underground minus the glam.

I don't think that ethos has changed too much despite the time apart, huge reunion, ageing etc. Maybe their work now isn't as essential but to compare it to the body of work of their first outing isn't just comparing it against their own work but genre defining albums. I'm more just appreciative that they are making music coming from the same place.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000