-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 The Last Jedi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bedbug Posted - 12/18/2017 : 11:05:15
I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, and I liked it well enough, but I gotta say that this one seemed to drag on forever. When you factor in the 20+ minutes of previews you're basically in the theatre for 3 hours. It was too long.

I sat first row center seat, good place to watch a movie like this.
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 04/03/2020 : 11:19:20
Somebody did an animated version of The Rise of Skywalker based on what was supposedly the original script and it looks pretty cool

Still have seen the actual Rise of Skywalker. Probably sometime during the pandemic
Bedbug Posted - 11/08/2019 : 07:17:34
I remember when Darth was supposed to be Reagan
trobrianders Posted - 11/08/2019 : 05:21:21
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Cannot care about this new Star Wars movie, Rise of Skywalker. Of course I’ll see it, more than once, but don’t have any excitement. Going through the motions. Who cares what happens? I don’t even know what the plot is for this latest trilogy. Not even worth starting a new thread for this last film.

It's about how Luke Snowflaker got triggered by Darth Trumper.

Bedbug Posted - 10/23/2019 : 04:51:48
Cannot care about this new Star Wars movie, Rise of Skywalker. Of course I’ll see it, more than once, but don’t have any excitement. Going through the motions. Who cares what happens? I don’t even know what the plot is for this latest trilogy. Not even worth starting a new thread for this last film.
Bedbug Posted - 01/19/2019 : 06:21:36
Finished Solo.

Enjoyed it much more than the last jedi.
Bedbug Posted - 01/15/2019 : 07:17:14
Started watching Solo, and really enjoying it so far.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 11/30/2018 : 07:30:04
My girlfriend hates this movie so much. I'm not a Star Wars fan so I found it pretty entertaining (and you know? It didn't seem long to me in the theater.) But she goes on and on about all the huge problems with it so it mostly turned me against it.
Bedbug Posted - 11/29/2018 : 01:50:53
Think about how much anticipation there was for the third installments of the first two trilogies.

None of that for this current trilogy. Do people even remember that we are in the midst of a trilogy?
TarTar Posted - 08/16/2018 : 19:09:11
I saw SOLO at the beginning of July in the theater, nearly two months after its release date. That has to be the longest I've ever waited to see a live action Star Wars film in the theater since seeing RETURN OF THE JEDI in April of 1984, nearly a year after its release (when I was three and a half). I was busy with a new job when SOLO was released but it also just seemed too soon after THE LAST JEDI, which I actually enjoyed overall. But I think they're cranking them out too fast. We used to wait years for these things. Even when they weren't very good, you at least had the time to forget how bad the last one was and hope for better next time.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
Bedbug Posted - 07/05/2018 : 01:18:22
Started watching it for free on Netflix yesterday and couldn't make it through.

Just not interesting.

Laura Dern is gorgeous though.
Bedbug Posted - 06/22/2018 : 08:54:11
Did the fanbase show their disapproval of TLJ by voting with their money and not going to Solo?
Bedbug Posted - 06/14/2018 : 11:24:40
You know, I never ended up going to Solo. The weather was too nice.

I'll wait till it comes out on VHS.

And that's really all you need to know about the state of Star Wars today.
Bedbug Posted - 06/11/2018 : 02:57:24
Planning on seeing Solo today.

I’m thinking that, only 4 years or so after Disney buying Star Wars, and the market is already flooded with too many Star Wars movies and people are sick of it. Everything seems to indicate Solo will under perform. But I’ll give my 15
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 06/02/2018 : 15:45:37
I went opening night but really didn't care one way or another if I'd had to wait a few weeks to see it. I'm not sure it's saturation, I think it's more that coming on the heels of a movie that set out to destroy some of the mythos and comfortable places that made Star Wars Star Wars, I really didn't feel that excited about a new one being made. I didn't really see Alden as Han Solo although he didn't do anything wrong per se - the parts I was most interested in seeing were Lando and Chewie. Lando/Donald Glover stole the show. Just nailed it. If they had found a Han like that, maybe it would be a different story.

At least, that's my feel about it.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Bedbug Posted - 05/29/2018 : 10:02:37
Anybody seen Solo?

The fact that it's been out almost a week and I have almost no desire to go see it tells me that this Star Wars thing is supersaturated at this point.

But I'll see it eventually.
Bedbug Posted - 05/05/2018 : 00:29:24
Just saw a lot of people wearing their star wars shirts today around the city as it was "may the fourth" day. Pretty much every shirt was a depiction of something from the original trilogy.

I assume this current generation of little tykes just thinks of Star Wars as another cool thing among many other options, and that it's the parents who are really pushing them to be into it.
Bedbug Posted - 03/14/2018 : 09:24:38
should they have quit while they were ahead? not made anything after Jedi in 83?

I guess that's the question for a lot of artists who go back to old projects.
pot Posted - 03/14/2018 : 07:10:00
Who needs an interesting story arc and plot development when you have a just series of exploding spheres?
Bedbug Posted - 03/14/2018 : 06:42:39
"It's just the same bloody story as ep 7 with different people, which was the same story as ep 6 and ep 4."
-pot

yes indeed

i remember watching The Force Awakens in the theatre, and when Han Solo starts to outline the plan to destroy the new death star type thing, and the plan is exactly what we saw in episodes 4 & 6, there was an audible chuckle in the audience... until we all realized that Han wasn't making a joke, he was serious.

I guess Lucas can get away with repeating it once, but for everyone else repeating it too becomes self-parody
pot Posted - 03/14/2018 : 05:30:56
I watched Eps 2 and 3 for the first time a couple of years ago so I could catch up in time for the release of ep 7. The Phantom Menace: what the bloody hell was that all about? I went to pictures to see that when it came out (in the town where some of it was filmed as it happens) and I left with the words "what the fuck was that?" ringing round in my head. I didn't think 2 and 3 were that bad though.

On whole, I've never really been that in to the whole Star Wars thing. There's not really much to it, it's just good guys versus the bad guys.

Still haven't watched the end of Rogue 1, I turned that off as well. It's just the same bloody story as ep 7 with different people, which was the same story as ep 6 and ep 4.
Bedbug Posted - 03/14/2018 : 05:14:24
I think another problem with the new ones, for me anyway, is that Lucas has no connection to them.

Now I know of course that he is the reason why the prequels were so bad, but ultimately it's his story, and if episodes 7-9 aren't really what he had in mind, then we are just watching someone's riff on his characters, instead of the continuation of the original tale he dreamed up a long time ago

pot Posted - 03/13/2018 : 00:37:25
Well I'm sure the laws of physics are the same in other galaxies and methods of communication still suffer from the same issues in maintaining connections between both ends, however it's still an anachronism.

And the story where everyone was expecting great, mystical wisdom to come forth from Master Jedi Luke Skywalker; but no it turns out he's a grumpy old man who just wants everyone to leave him alone. As charming as that is in the context of a children's fantasy epic it just doesn't fit in to the Star Wars canon either for me.

Don't know if the writing got better from thereon, or how much it deviates from the books but certainly the first half hour of this came across quite trashy and throwaway. If I'd gone to the picture to see that I'd have been looking at my watch all the time wondering when I can leave the room to go for a slash and another pint.
Bedbug Posted - 03/12/2018 : 18:40:57
yes indeed, it is sad how underwhelmed I was after seeing this in the theatre.

still haven't rewatched even though it's available on the telly

and i agree with you pot re: the humor. "an intergalactic anachronism."
pot Posted - 03/11/2018 : 22:49:52
Switched it off after half an hour. Got better things to watch, like the new Alan Ball series Here And Now (which incidentally is set in Portland, Oregon: where the Thompson Family used to live)

Never been that big a Star Wars fan TBH, but when it came back with the old cast from the 70's there was some novelty value there. I'm afraid I need something more than cool looking space ships, mysterious alien worlds and big explosions.

I did like the bit where the guy from the ... is it the empire? was talking through coms to one of the rebels and the signal was breaking up, I liked the humour there BUT it was out of place in the Star Wars canon, and an intergalactic anachronism.

Pffff. Carry on without me.
Bedbug Posted - 01/26/2018 : 05:56:35
I don't have the impetus to see it again in the theatres. Maybe that's the most telling review of it I could give.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 01/24/2018 : 03:41:41
I did go a second time and enjoyed it a lot more than the first. Maybe it was me and not the movie? I felt exactly the same way, Carl, on my first viewing.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Carl Posted - 01/23/2018 : 21:57:02
Tried a bit too hard too go against expectations, but I enjoyed it overall.
Bedbug Posted - 12/22/2017 : 04:35:49
That's a great point dean. Part 8 doesn't leave you dying to come back for the 9th and final installment. It feels more like just another part in a however many-ed part.

Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 12/21/2017 : 11:54:50
There were a lot of parts that could've been trimmed. I like the movie a lot on its own but I think it does a terrible job of being the middle piece of a three-part story or for that matter the second-last piece in a 9 part story.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000