-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Brooklyn 2018 Review.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pixie punk Posted - 11/19/2018 : 04:11:20
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/pixies-began-come-on-pilgrimsurfer-rosa-nyc-run-night-1-pics-setlist/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 11/24/2018 : 09:37:00
Oh, I completely agree. I'm just saying if we are not going to get the Boss-Le-Monde tour we want, we will manage just fine.

I had the chance to go to the Brooklyn shows and elected not to. Just wasn't motivated enough to hear those same albums again (although I must admit I love that they did the B-sides with them). I elected to spend my money on Bob Dylan and Ween instead.

If FB announces a solo show with just him and an amp, I'll be there before you can say Ludwidshafen.
stuczuba Posted - 11/24/2018 : 07:47:08
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

We’ve got Bossanova and Trompe on disc anyway. We can listen to them whenever we want

Yeah but by that logic, why even tour at all!??
Bedbug Posted - 11/24/2018 : 04:32:23
We’ve got Bossanova and Trompe on disc anyway. We can listen to them whenever we want
stuczuba Posted - 11/23/2018 : 20:04:24
Bossa > Trompe > Doolittle :)

But they don't have to tour it, Pilgrim and Surfer got 10ish gigs in total. Thats all they need to play to scratch that itch for their core fanbase and then they can go back to their normal touring cycle..
Jeepster Posted - 11/23/2018 : 17:17:14
quote:

Yes.

Bossanova had just come out when I became a fan. My friend made me a copy on cassette tape (do you know what that is? just kidding) with Doolittle on one side and Bossanova on the other. At first I thought that Bossanova must have been an earlier album because I didn't think they could go from the Doolittle sound to the Bossanova sound.

I soon figured out that a lot of people felt the same way at the time. I don't think anybody in 1990 liked Bossanova as much or more than SR or Doolittle.

Things sure have changed.

That gives hope for Indie Cindy and Head Carrier, the two best Pixies albums of all time according to fans in the 22nd century.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Surfer Rosa and Doolittle are BETTER albums, but Bossanova is (mostly) pop perfection! Maybe it's not as artistically groundbreaking as the earlier stuff, but it's really fun and well-written. actually, I think Indie Cindy is a lot like Bossanova. They're both pretty dreamy and shoegazey.

And in 30 more years, Pixies' apparently-upcoming 2019 album will be hailed as their ultimate masterpiece.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
Bedbug Posted - 11/23/2018 : 10:11:48
quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

a Bossanova/Trompe tour would be INCREDIBLE! To me those two albums feel like going on a musical journey (especially with all the specific geographical references) and hearing them live would be OUT OF THIS WORLD

Incidentally, why is Bossanova so unloved? As a newer fan, Bossanova is my favorite Pixies album. Were people that disappointed that the band moved away from the Doolittle sound?

-----------------------

Yes.

Bossanova had just come out when I became a fan. My friend made me a copy on cassette tape (do you know what that is? just kidding) with Doolittle on one side and Bossanova on the other. At first I thought that Bossanova must have been an earlier album because I didn't think they could go from the Doolittle sound to the Bossanova sound.

I soon figured out that a lot of people felt the same way at the time. I don't think anybody in 1990 liked Bossanova as much or more than SR or Doolittle.

Things sure have changed.

That gives hope for Indie Cindy and Head Carrier, the two best Pixies albums of all time according to fans in the 22nd century.
Jeepster Posted - 11/23/2018 : 10:05:47
a Bossanova/Trompe tour would be INCREDIBLE! To me those two albums feel like going on a musical journey (especially with all the specific geographical references) and hearing them live would be OUT OF THIS WORLD

Incidentally, why is Bossanova so unloved? As a newer fan, Bossanova is my favorite Pixies album. Were people that disappointed that the band moved away from the Doolittle sound?

-----------------------
Bedbug Posted - 11/23/2018 : 09:11:40
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Bob is optional but I always thought they stopped playing all those great songs because of the lack of keyboards or scond rythm guitar. Bird Dream, Navajo Know, Space I Believe In... wouldn’t sound the same without keyboards. Others need that second rythm guitar on top, so why not.

And, yes, my absolute favourite Pixies era is probably 91-92, EDF on keyboards, Charles screaming his lungs out, and all those great Ufo-sci fi songs the band has completely buried for 20 years now.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Agree and agree.

I would add Motorway to the list of songs that really benefit from keys

picpic Posted - 11/23/2018 : 08:59:49
Bob is optional but I always thought they stopped playing all those great songs because of the lack of keyboards or scond rythm guitar. Bird Dream, Navajo Know, Space I Believe In... wouldn’t sound the same without keyboards. Others need that second rythm guitar on top, so why not.

And, yes, my absolute favourite Pixies era is probably 91-92, EDF on keyboards, Charles screaming his lungs out, and all those great Ufo-sci fi songs the band has completely buried for 20 years now.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 11/23/2018 : 05:00:45
So is that your dream concert lineup? The 2.0 Pixies plus EDF and Bob doing all of Bossanova and all of Trompe with all the related b-sides?
picpic Posted - 11/23/2018 : 03:37:29
Just imagine a Bossa/Trompe tribute with EDF on keyboards (and Bob Santiago on 3rd guitar ). **drools**

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 11/23/2018 : 02:58:22
Their appeal is becoming more selective
picpic Posted - 11/23/2018 : 02:55:31
Nah. Trompe is merely considered as the first Frank Black record Bossa is generally the least popular of 1.0. No way they can tour with that. Sadly. They would just not fill venues.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 11/23/2018 : 01:08:13
It's hard to imagine them doing a tribute tour for the other albums, I admit that.

But we're all dreaming here all the time, so dream on baby.

I want a 10 year tour for NSE! That album is awesome!
stuczuba Posted - 11/23/2018 : 00:01:19
quote:

quote:

Thanks for all the reviews everybody.

So glad they did this to commemorate these albums.

Wonder if they will do this for other albums.

They already did a Doolittle tribute tour back in 2011/12. And of course there will never be a Bossa/Trompe tribute tour ***sigh***

___
"Service Unavailable"

If they're willing to celebrate these 2 with just a small handful of gigs then there's no reason why they can't do Bossa/Trompe - I think they will after the next new stuff..
picpic Posted - 11/22/2018 : 20:10:12
quote:

They already did a Doolittle tribute tour back in 2011/12. And of course there will never be a Bossa/Trompe tribute tour ***sigh***

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 11/21/2018 : 12:02:56
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/11/live-review-pixies-brooklyn-11-20-18/ Third night review.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Bedbug Posted - 11/21/2018 : 06:12:39

simibaby Posted - 11/20/2018 : 19:52:33
no no no.....dont feel burned at all actually my very first sentence was "they were great as always" So much so that I went last nite as well> beautiful>>>>they played at least 10 mins longer, and 2 extra songs !!!!
yarbles Posted - 11/20/2018 : 19:09:30
This show was always marketed as just this. Come On Pilgrim and Surfer Rosa, along with a few other songs from the era. Sorry if you feel burned, but they delivered exactly what they said they were doing for this 30th anniversary. I feel like it was a special night, and the visuals and film added greatly to the story of these early albums.

If you feel burned about that, sorry... the band will come around next year and play a 90 minute set, half of which will be Doolittle. Again.
pixie punk Posted - 11/20/2018 : 12:26:03
https://musicexistence.com/blog/2018/11/20/gallery-pixies-at-brooklyn-steel-11-19-18/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
stuczuba Posted - 11/20/2018 : 11:25:35
quote:
Originally posted by simibaby

1 hr and 7 mins of the band playing. come on, now

's all killer, tho

I thought it was a really satisfying show, didn't feel short changed at all.
simibaby Posted - 11/20/2018 : 09:55:44
1 hr and 7 mins of the band playing. come on, now
yarbles Posted - 11/20/2018 : 08:00:34
I loved the added visuals and found the film to be very cool. Yeah that info is in the bios, but all the songs are on our CDs and vinyls and whatever else as well. It was nice seeing them all presented in a special way in a unique show. The visuals, the film, the albums being played in full, along with the almost never played b-sides made for a different and to me a very satisfying 30th year commemoration of the albums.
simibaby Posted - 11/20/2018 : 06:16:51
They were great as always. But I personally coulda done without the film which seemed too long and kinda boring. We already knew all the bio stuff...........and the P's only played 1hr, 7mins. But it's all good/take the money and run?
yarbles Posted - 11/19/2018 : 17:54:00
It was a great show by the way, The artwork and imagery added so much to the show. Definitely worth flying from LA to see it. I filmed most of the show, here’s a playlist of my videos. I would love a professionally filmed/recorded/mixed Blu-ray of this show, but haven’t heard of or seen any camera crews at any of these shows.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQgLpB3RzSS6s23bCz1gMTNhqp9766JYl
Jason Bravo Posted - 11/19/2018 : 17:53:31
Man, from those pictures shown in the op's link, Paz is really starting to look like one of the Ramones with that haircut.
yarbles Posted - 11/19/2018 : 16:51:11
No openers for any of these Come On Pilgrim it’s Surfer Rosa shows. There’s a film that showcases the artwork made for the two albums with an interview from Vaughn Oliver being played on top of it. About 30 mins. Really cool. Then the band comes out and does their thing. Film started around 8:20, the entire thing was over a little after 10.
pixie punk Posted - 11/19/2018 : 09:51:51
quote:
Originally posted by simibaby

was there an opener, pp?

I wasn't there but I don't think so.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
simibaby Posted - 11/19/2018 : 09:35:14
was there an opener, pp?
pixie punk Posted - 11/19/2018 : 08:49:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JP4nQaDaPY Tony's Theme.And yes Bedbug,it was later edited.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Bedbug Posted - 11/19/2018 : 08:01:44
quote:

"A Frank Black solo song".
I nearly had a heart attack

False alarm.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Did they edit it since? I don't see where it says it.

But I'm with you, that's insane.
picpic Posted - 11/19/2018 : 07:01:12
Joey's playing is top notch now.

I bet he's ready to shred again (Trompe le Monde, Trompe le Monde, Trompe le Monde !)

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 11/19/2018 : 04:52:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iVOWg-PF_s Down To The Well.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
pixie punk Posted - 11/19/2018 : 04:49:27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7A5WLIinC4 Build High.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000