-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 « Come on Pilgrim, it’s Surfer Rosa » 30th anniv.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
picpic Posted - 08/01/2018 : 08:07:57
So here it is

http://pixies.4ad.com

Disc 3 is Fallout Shelter gig.

___
"Service Unavailable"
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
benji Posted - 06/04/2019 : 21:39:13
I would doubt it. I'm assuming it's one of these 2:
Pixies 1/18/87 radio session
Recorded at WERS Studios, Emerson College in Boston.
1 the holiday song
2 i'm amazed
3 rock-a-my-soul
4 isla de encanta
5 caribou
6 broken face
7 i've been tired
8 build high
9 break my body (acoustic)
10 ed is dead
11 nimrod's son
12 down to the well
13 subbacultcha (/D=RxT)
14 boom chicka boom (great unreleased tune)
15 vamos
16 in heaven
17 (short interview)
Notes: this performance is raw like the more-common Fallout Shelter radio show, but better quality. A little tape hiss, but come on, what do you expect from a tape of a college radio broadcast from 17 years ago! This is a frickin' must-have for any hardcore Pixies fan. Sourced via cassette tape bought from a second hand store in Boston then transferred to mp3 then cdr. It seems the person who discovered the tape recorded it directly to mp3 (one long track, 192k) then foolishly threw away the cassette, so all circulating versions are sourced from mp3. However my copy is a cdr from that original source 'pressing', while most versions of it online have been compressed to mp3 twice.

Pixies - July 5, 1987 - Recorded at WERS Studios, Emerson College in Boston.
the holiday song
i'm amazed
caribou
isla de encanta
levitate me
cactus
build high
ed is dead
nimrod's son
weird at my school
subbacultcha
i've been tired
broken face
down to the well
brick is red
break my body
vamos
in heaven
(short interview)
NOTES: Also a good one. This is a much more polished showing compared to the 1/18/87 radio session, as they had just recorded Come On Pilgrim. For the story on source info, see above 1/18/87 radio session.. it was also done cassette>mp3>cdr by the same guy.

Don't buy these. I can give you copies of the original shared files if you want.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Schitzophonic Posted - 06/04/2019 : 11:59:32
Quick question, guys.. is Live From The Fallout Shelter the same recording as this bootleg?

https://www.discogs.com/Pixies-Everything-Is-Fine/master/967771

Tracklisting is slightly different, with Subbacultcha and another song in a different order. One was broadcast in January 1987, and the other broadcast in December 1986. Anyone know for sure? I don't have them in order to check.
Stevio10 Posted - 10/14/2018 : 23:57:16
Nice article about the artwork with Simon and Vaughan

http://www.anothermanmag.com/life-culture/10532/secrets-behind-pixies-iconic-sleeve-art-vaughan-oliver-simon-larbalestier
BunsenH Posted - 10/09/2018 : 04:25:25
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Live from fallout shelter is on spotify.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Very cool - thanks for the tip.
picpic Posted - 10/05/2018 : 00:54:38
Live from fallout shelter is on spotify.

___
"Service Unavailable"
picpic Posted - 10/02/2018 : 00:24:56
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba
has it been tinkered with or compressed/flattened for Joey's ears?

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 10/01/2018 : 09:35:25
http://drownedinsound.com/releases/20448/reviews/4152057 Another review.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
pixie punk Posted - 10/01/2018 : 09:11:44
http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2018/10/01/pixies-surfer-rosa-30th-anniversary-edition-4ad/ Review.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
pixie punk Posted - 09/30/2018 : 04:42:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=173s&v=t13eWy4xufc

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
stuczuba Posted - 09/29/2018 : 20:07:08
Anyone bought them? Is it the same audio as rhe original 4ad cd or has it been tinkered with or compressed/flattened for Joey's ears?
Bedbug Posted - 09/29/2018 : 02:30:33
The Fallout Shelter gig sure is a great piece. Hope they do more of these. I think The Boston Broadcast is one of the best and hope it ends up on streaming
prozacrat Posted - 09/28/2018 : 12:50:58
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Nice.

Enjoying the crap recording and crazy vocals from Charles on Build High right now. He sounds like he just snorted poppers.

When/where was this? I can't find anything about it anywhere. Whe was Subbacultcha written again?

1986 in Lowell, MA. Subbacultcha was one of their earliest songs. I love how they had tunes from the Purple Tape that wound up on every subsequent album.

"Wait. Hold on. This is where the Pixies draw the line. We don't do the beach ball thing." - Frank
pot Posted - 09/28/2018 : 01:14:58
Nice.

Enjoying the crap recording and crazy vocals from Charles on Build High right now. He sounds like he just snorted poppers.

When/where was this? I can't find anything about it anywhere. Whe was Subbacultcha written again?
Bedbug Posted - 09/27/2018 : 23:43:16
quote:
Originally posted by prozacrat

The Fallout Shelter gig is now available on Apple Music and Spotify. I’m sure elsewhere, as well.

"Wait. Hold on. This is where the Pixies draw the line. We don't do the beach ball thing." - Frank

Sick!

Thanks for the tip
prozacrat Posted - 09/27/2018 : 23:01:50
The Fallout Shelter gig is now available on Apple Music and Spotify. I’m sure elsewhere, as well.

yarbles Posted - 09/21/2018 : 22:49:32
Great find, thanks for sharing that article Pixie Punk! Hoping for the entire Purple Tape/Pilgrim package, along with Boom Chick A Boom..... super excited for Brooklyn now!
picpic Posted - 09/19/2018 : 23:03:43
Oh My Golly ! I'm Amazed.

___
"Service Unavailable"
stuczuba Posted - 09/19/2018 : 11:27:41
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Are they playing Vamos twice?

I hope not, even Joey looks tired of his bit now.
Bedbug Posted - 09/19/2018 : 03:03:51
Are they playing Vamos twice?
Bedbug Posted - 09/19/2018 : 02:58:22
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/09/pixies-come-on-pilgrimits-surfer-rosa-shows.html They will play ADDITIONAL songs from that time period.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Very cool news
pixie punk Posted - 09/19/2018 : 02:37:04
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/09/pixies-come-on-pilgrimits-surfer-rosa-shows.html They will play ADDITIONAL songs from that time period.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Bedbug Posted - 09/18/2018 : 13:36:55
I’ll be there Man

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/pixies-announce-come-on-pilgrim-its-surfer-rosa-nyc-shows/

trobrianders Posted - 08/07/2018 : 04:53:50
Anything new about the actual recordings or same?

Discoking Posted - 08/05/2018 : 00:00:54
they could have added the non-come-on-pilgrim purple tape tracks to this set too.

it's educational
Bedbug Posted - 08/04/2018 : 10:01:00
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

If this release means they add the Fallout material that didn't make those first 2 albums to the setlist for the tour then I'm all for it.
Just play both both albums in their entirety + Rock A My Soul, Subbacultcha, Build High, Down To The Well, Boom Chicka Boom & In Heaven.

Stick a couple of the staples in the encore and there's your show..

Here here! That's a great idea!
Bedbug Posted - 08/04/2018 : 09:59:30
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was more of a 4AD decision.

Did you see how that there was a Ween album called Chocolate and Cheese that came out this year that the band apparently had nothing to do with?

Sorry, not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but I have to ask - what are you referring to? A reissue they didn't authorize? Because Chocolate and Cheese is a classic Ween album from '94.

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow

Sorry Johnny, that was a mistake on my part. The album is called "Bananas and Blow" that the band apparently had nothing to do with. It just came out this year.

Here is some discussion about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ween/comments/8nxxng/new_album_bananas_and_blow/

Here is the iTunes info on it:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/bananas-and-blow/1391568797

The album isn't even acknowledged on Ween's website or at brownbase.

The release date is June 1, 2018.

Again, sorry for the mistake. I was thinking Bananas and Blow but typed Chocolate and Cheese.
stuczuba Posted - 08/04/2018 : 08:03:44
If this release means they add the Fallout material that didn't make those first 2 albums to the setlist for the tour then I'm all for it.
Just play both both albums in their entirety + Rock A My Soul, Subbacultcha, Build High, Down To The Well, Boom Chicka Boom & In Heaven.

Stick a couple of the staples in the encore and there's your show..
johnnyribcage Posted - 08/04/2018 : 06:48:39
quote:

Wouldn't be surprised if it was more of a 4AD decision.

Did you see how that there was a Ween album called Chocolate and Cheese that came out this year that the band apparently had nothing to do with?

Sorry, not trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but I have to ask - what are you referring to? A reissue they didn't authorize? Because Chocolate and Cheese is a classic Ween album from '94.

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow
Bedbug Posted - 08/04/2018 : 01:56:30
So few people (relatively speaking) were into Frank’s solo stuff when it was “popular”, I doubt many would pick up on it today.
picpic Posted - 08/03/2018 : 04:48:26
We need a Fight Club 2 movie with a Frank Black song for the ending credits.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 08/03/2018 : 04:27:24
Again, Dave’s Grateful Dead analogy keeps proving true.

They’re a jam band now. And this is how they jam.

And Pixies-heads will keep coming.

It’s kind of a win win.

The only losers are FB&Cs fans and Frank cultists who keep dreaming of hearing The Marsist live or something like that.
picpic Posted - 08/03/2018 : 03:47:24
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

maybe this is all decided by managers and market research and whatnot, and the pixies are happy to leave those kind of decisions in the hands of those people, so they can focus on playing music and recording new albums?
my guess is they ok things like a doolittle or a come one pilgrim/surfer rosa tour, but don't have a lot to do with it for the rest.
(just a guess, though.)

it's educational

Maybe, but I think that's also the choice of the band. Look, they've been on a greatest hits tour for nearly 15 years now. Laying on their back catalog. They could tour with only new material and have recorded 10 albums by now if they wanted, and leave the old stuff things to other people, and like you say agree to do some events like Doolitte 30 or whatever every now and then. But I think the band understood what their fan base really wanted a long time ago. Since 2.0. Perform greatest hits. Release box-sets of old material. Audience approves.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Sprite Posted - 08/03/2018 : 03:05:04
Yes saw that confirmed in several interviews.
Discoking Posted - 08/02/2018 : 23:14:45
compare it to the 3 indie cindy EPs. and then later making them into one album.
that was all decided by other people, wasn't it?

it's educational
Discoking Posted - 08/02/2018 : 23:13:15
maybe this is all decided by managers and market research and whatnot, and the pixies are happy to leave those kind of decisions in the hands of those people, so they can focus on playing music and recording new albums?
my guess is they ok things like a doolittle or a come one pilgrim/surfer rosa tour, but don't have a lot to do with it for the rest.
(just a guess, though.)

it's educational

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000