-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Pixies Interviews 2018.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pixie punk Posted - 02/16/2018 : 01:50:13
https://omny.fm/shows/2hours-with-matt-pifield/186-the-pixies-joey-santiago-on-plans-for-new-musi Joey talked to Matt Pinfield about the past and what's next.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 11/08/2018 : 04:52:11
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Many many times I have reflected on what a great thing it is that the Pixies are about art not politics.

Such a great point Sprite.

Of all the outer space stuff Frank has written about, nothing sounds more alien than the idea that the Pixies should get involved in PR politics.
Sprite Posted - 11/08/2018 : 03:01:08
Many many times I have reflected on what a great thing it is that the Pixies are about art not politics.
Bedbug Posted - 11/07/2018 : 20:18:20

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/rock/8483866/pixies-surfer-rosa-puerto-rico-frank-black

The complicated role of Puerto Rico in Pixies Surfer Rosa
picpic Posted - 11/07/2018 : 01:26:41
Maybe he was refering to both then ? But to me the AC DC ref is about using less FX and a more direct-to-amp approach (I think Malcolm Young (and Angus maybe ???) used to plug the guitar directly into their Marshall stacks without using any pedals, just a tad of the built-in distortion/reverb. Which can be very unforgiving, too.

I also remember some Joey interview about the HC sessions in which he said he was a bit embarassed by his own style and his trademark 2-string bends during the HC sessions. But Dalgety told him it was okay ,he shouldn't be ashamed, the audience loved his style, and blah blah... and then Joey got his confidence back ! Back to the old style !

Next thing to do to recatch the early Pixie mojo: get the Peavey out of storage and ask Kim to borrow her goldtop LP (but oops, I think the Breeders are using it on tour)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Sprite Posted - 11/06/2018 : 11:59:50
I am not very knowledgeable on effects pedals and the like (except I know they used gated reverb on the drums in Gouge Away - Ha!) but I hear bit more of that two string roar on songs on HC than IC. But I would say that Joey's guitar playing on IC is one its strongest aspects
picpic Posted - 11/06/2018 : 10:16:25
Strange, when I listen to IC, I hear classic Santiago. Except maybe for Magdalena ? Maybe he's talking about all his FX pedals ? Indeed I prefer Santiago with fewer FX. Maybe not straight to the amp, but fewer is probably better. He only had a single boost pedal back in the day right ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Sprite Posted - 11/06/2018 : 09:45:56
Nice find. Definitely one of his more interesting interviews. Spoiler nothing on new music except that he thinks he was too experimental on IC but now he is going back to what he knows works best ACDC style.
pixie punk Posted - 11/06/2018 : 00:01:49
https://www.musicradar.com/news/pixies-joey-santiago-i-was-afraid-people-would-tell-me-i-never-grew-up-as-a-guitar-player-but-fk-it-so-what Another Joey Interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
pixie punk Posted - 11/05/2018 : 00:37:56
http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4152118-this-shits-unique---dis-meets-pixies Joey Interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Bedbug Posted - 10/26/2018 : 03:25:49
That's true, parts of that album sound more poppy than a lot of the 1.0 stuff, other than HCYM (I always thought Velouria sounded kind of main stream poppy compared to other stuff too).

Hang On to Your Ego is a song I have skipped hundreds of times over the years (still do unless I'm in the mood), and I wonder if that's because of the pop factor of which we are discussing here.
picpic Posted - 10/25/2018 : 19:59:35
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I guess we all have our own definition of Pop (Joey included)

___
"Service Unavailable"

So what would you say is his poppiest song of all time?

First Frank Black album was very pop (according to my own definition at least). Hang on to your ego cover maybe ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 10/25/2018 : 09:17:31
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

So what would you say is his poppiest song of all time?
picpic Posted - 10/25/2018 : 04:36:39

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 10/23/2018 : 10:34:25
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

here comes your man

it's educational

I don’t disagree.

And none of us minded when we first heard it. Why do we mind now?

I think you know the answer to this question. It's about finding the right balance. Clearly Joey feels the balance needs to be adjusted based on his comments preceding the HC and now this album. Whether he gets his wish is another thing entirely.

Well I have my opinion and was hoping to generate some discussion.

When the pop sounds of HCYM hit my ears halfway through my first listen of Doolittle in 1990, I didn’t think anything negative whatsoever. Probably because it’s good pop on a great album.

When the pop sounds of the pop songs on IC and HC hit my ears a few years ago, I just thought they were average songs on less than the best FBF albums. The “poppiness” factor didn’t factor. (Insert typical compression complaint here)

Whether the next album is poppy or not is not the big issue for me.
natenate101 Posted - 10/23/2018 : 07:04:37
quote:

quote:

here comes your man

it's educational

I don’t disagree.

I think you know the answer to this question. It's about finding the right balance. Clearly Joey feels the balance needs to be adjusted based on his comments preceding the HC and now this album. Whether he gets his wish is another thing entirely.
Bedbug Posted - 10/22/2018 : 14:15:04
quote:

here comes your man

it's educational

I don’t disagree.

Discoking Posted - 10/22/2018 : 10:08:14
here comes your man

it's educational
Bedbug Posted - 10/22/2018 : 06:51:22
What was the first pop Pixies song?
natenate101 Posted - 10/20/2018 : 15:53:07
quote:

I like raw Pixies onstage and polished Pixies in the studio. Am I the only one ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

Depends. If Joey means more UCL and less Might As Well Be Gone then that's fantastic. Some of the HC songs and a few on IC are way too straightforward and to be honest, kinda bland. It shows when they play the songs live as well, put up against the more pacey and noises songs. Pixies at their peak balanced out the punk and pop very well. But Joey has the right idea here.
picpic Posted - 10/20/2018 : 10:36:16
I like raw Pixies onstage and polished Pixies in the studio. Am I the only one ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Sprite Posted - 10/19/2018 : 01:24:33
Nice to hear some tidbits about new music, it's been such a long wait.
picpic Posted - 10/18/2018 : 20:58:31
quote:

quote:

Dang.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Sorry.

I should have said less "Another Toe" instead of less "Ring the Bell."

I guess Joey meant less polished, more raw ? He already said that in an earlier interview. Personaly I like more polished productions when BF records with the Pixies. I hope the next producer won't try too hard to make them sound like Surfer Rosa...

___
"Service Unavailable"
oddball Posted - 10/18/2018 : 06:54:21
Since some demos are in place, and studio time has been booked, I wonder if it is safe to assume we might hear some of this on the upcoming spring tour. At least we know something concrete is in the works.
-oddball
Bedbug Posted - 10/18/2018 : 06:33:29
quote:

Dang.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Sorry.

I should have said less "Another Toe" instead of less "Ring the Bell."
picpic Posted - 10/18/2018 : 02:50:26
Dang.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 10/18/2018 : 01:48:45
Might mean less Ring the Bell and more Bagboy?
Discoking Posted - 10/17/2018 : 22:48:08
quote:

Can someone translate the "take the pop out of it" for me ? Does it mean more pop or less pop ? (or none of the above ?)

___
"Service Unavailable"

it means less pop.

it's educational
picpic Posted - 10/17/2018 : 21:59:14
Can someone translate the "take the pop out of it" for me ? Does it mean more pop or less pop ? (or none of the above ?)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 10/17/2018 : 11:39:02
Great quote to be sure. Looking forward to the album.
natenate101 Posted - 10/17/2018 : 10:22:33
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

https://gigwise.com/features/3285925/pixies-joey-santiago-on-surfer-rosa-steve-albini-life-after-rehab

Joey interview, discusses where they are with new album.

Is there another Pixies album in the works?

“Yes, we've already been working on it for two sessions, recording demos, and we have studio time booked in a month or two. It’ll be ruckus, more noise, more things that we’ve recorded and hopefully it doesn't suck - that's really what we do. We go into the studio going ‘this shit better not suck’. That's really our criteria. Now that we've got ‘Head Carrier’ and ‘Indie Cindy’ out, between those two releases we set it up so we can do whatever we want now. I would like to be really experimental, take the pop out of it. I'm excited to see where this one goes.”

Hell yeah. Joey saying all the right things to me. More ruckus, more experimental, take the pop out of it. Awesome
pixie punk Posted - 10/17/2018 : 09:49:24
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

https://gigwise.com/features/3285925/pixies-joey-santiago-on-surfer-rosa-steve-albini-life-after-rehab

�Yes, we've already been working on it for two sessions, recording demos, and we have studio time booked in a month or two. It�ll be ruckus, more noise, more things that we�ve recorded and hopefully it doesn't suck - that's really what we do. We go into the studio going �this shit better not suck�. That's really our criteria. Now that we've got �Head Carrier� and �Indie Cindy� out, between those two releases we set it up so we can do whatever we want now. I would like to be really experimental, take the pop out of it. I'm excited to see where this one goes.�

Thanks for the link Stevio 10.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Stevio10 Posted - 10/17/2018 : 09:13:39

“Yes, we've already been working on it for two sessions, recording demos, and we have studio time booked in a month or two. It’ll be ruckus, more noise, more things that we’ve recorded and hopefully it doesn't suck - that's really what we do. We go into the studio going ‘this shit better not suck’. That's really our criteria. Now that we've got ‘Head Carrier’ and ‘Indie Cindy’ out, between those two releases we set it up so we can do whatever we want now. I would like to be really experimental, take the pop out of it. I'm excited to see where this one goes.”
pixie punk Posted - 10/17/2018 : 01:06:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7OqBJuxPug Joey.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Bedbug Posted - 10/15/2018 : 04:10:18
Good read there
pixie punk Posted - 10/15/2018 : 02:05:41
https://www.theguitarmagazine.com/interviews/interview-pixies/ Black and Joey interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000