-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Bands you have seen open for the Pixies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bedbug Posted - 06/25/2018 : 12:40:04
Thanks to Peter Radiator’s stellar review of the Wombats (and Sprite can Back me up on this) I thought it would be interesting to hear about acts you’ve seen open for our troupe.

I’ll throw out a few I remember (or sort of remember)

Barkmarket - saw them in 92, kind of depressing act as I remember it. I think it was a duo or trio? No offense to the band intended, but they had no chance with the crowd. The 90s were a lot rougher on people’s polite sensibilities. But I remember digging them in a heroin nightmare kind of thing. (This review sucks worse than they did. I’m on the subway commuting home and kind of cranky)

Wolfstein (?) - 2013... or was it Wolfgang? Or Wolfshemp? I honestly can’t remeber. But he (solo act) was cool. Lots of energy, fun rock n roll, and he said to the crowd, “I know y’ll are here for the Pixies.” That was endearing. Plus he hit on my girlfriend during the intermission which is always a nice compliment,

I’ve got more but I’ll stop there for now.
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sam Posted - 07/04/2018 : 22:40:23
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

I too have seen John Grant open for Pixies, and it was extremely good and unexpected.

I have seen the Thrills open for them as well, and Surfer Blood (who were almost as obnoxiously in love with themselves as The Wombats).

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

Whatever happened to Corey Ha...….The Thrills

Bright but brief thankfully, that guys voice was a health and safety issue
Stevio10 Posted - 07/04/2018 : 07:54:55
I imagine it would be quite the gig seeing Pere Ubu open for Pixies, what are your recollections Peter Radiator? Believe there was a London 89 show with those 2 plus Miracle Legion - that would be my dream gig.
peter radiator Posted - 07/04/2018 : 04:43:27
I too have seen John Grant open for Pixies, and it was extremely good and unexpected.

I have seen the Thrills open for them as well, and Surfer Blood (who were almost as obnoxiously in love with themselves as The Wombats).

--

The Maharal Posted - 07/03/2018 : 11:19:54
Oh wow John Grant's amazing - didn't know he opened for Pixies before. I saw him in a small intimate venue a few years ago and it's possible the best gig I've attended.
Sam Posted - 07/03/2018 : 04:24:20
Saw Pixies on the bill before Red Hot Chilli Peppers in Dublin, Pixies were on fire even with dodgy sound.

No word of a lie, 20,000 people left the field when Pixies finished their encore. Word is RHCP were dreadful. I cant confirm as bailed after the Pixies encore too!

Saw British Sea Power open before Pixies in Brixton 2004, don't remember anything about them as we were so excited to be seeing the Pixies live for the first time and were not disappointed. Incredible show. Havent heard about BSP for a while.

King Of Leon opened for Pixies in Landowne Road one day also, no comparison. Pixies all the way.

Only band I ever took real notice of warming up for Pxies was Arcade Fire in 2005 Rock En Seine, I had never heard of them. It rained heavy all through the queuing, we got into the beautiful park, the sun came out and Arcade Fire made some majestic sounds.
Bought Funeral on the strength of that show and was not disappointed.
Best warmer upper ever for me.

Bedbug Posted - 07/03/2018 : 04:01:07
I saw them 3 nights in a row back in 15 (first time they ever performed Um Chagga Lagga to my knowledge) and at each show John Grant opened.

This guy is really cool. Check him out. Maybe you heard his song gmf. It was one of the better opening acts I’ve seen. He’s got a good voice and is an interesting lyricist.
DruggedBunnyToo Posted - 07/02/2018 : 12:22:08
/de-lurk after many years (I think)

quote:

Then in 2004 I saw Graham Coxon backing them up at Brixton. I'd never heard of them, and this was around the time of Franz Ferdinand so I just assumed it was the name of the band. I didn't realise it was the guitarist from Blur's band, and they were quite good.

Then in 2009 I saw another Scottish band supporting them at the SECC on the Doolittle tour called Sons & Daughters who my mate liked so much he bought the album and made me listen to it. I thought they were kind of average.
Go to Top of Page

Wow, I forgot about both Graham Coxon at Brixton (did nothing for me) and Sons & Daughters (literally remember nothing about them), the latter at the official worst venue in the world (SECC in Glasgow).

I was forced to sit (stand) through Kings of Leon at T in the Park 2004 as well, but the following performance of Debaser with maybe 20,000 people going "dur dur dur/dur dur dur/dur dur dur/DUR DUR DUR DURRRRR" to Joey's intro was fucking amazing! Unfortunately it doesn't really come across in the BBC video of the time... :(

--
James/DruggedBunny[Too]
oddball Posted - 06/28/2018 : 16:10:23
In the late 1990s, I saw Reid Paley opening for FB and the Catholics (shortly before Dog in the Sand was released). It's a shame he is no longer making music (to the best of my knowledge). I also saw the now defunct Serafin open for FB and the Catholics on their final European tour. For anyone who hasn't heard their song No Happy, I highly recommend it. Ben Fox Smith is an extremely talented songwriter who has remained under the radar for the large part of his career.
-oddball
Jason Bravo Posted - 06/28/2018 : 14:46:38
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

I saw the Rev. Horton Heat open for FB as well.

Saw Jonny Polonsky and his band, and the Bennies and David Lovering's Mr. Wizard act, too.

Saw FB and the Cult of Ray-era band open for the Ramones!

--

Wow! Saw FB open for the Ramones, now that's something that not many can claim. Had to have been incredible. His Cult of Ray Era band I also saw live with Jonny Polonsky opening up at the 9:30 club in D.C. The band was the original Catholics. He was on fire at that show, but the best show I ever saw was the Pistolero tour at the same venue a couple years later.
peter radiator Posted - 06/28/2018 : 13:11:01
I saw the Rev. Horton Heat open for FB as well.

Saw Jonny Polonsky and his band, and the Bennies and David Lovering's Mr. Wizard act, too.

Saw FB and the Cult of Ray-era band open for the Ramones!

--

picpic Posted - 06/28/2018 : 10:47:59
Anyone saw Lovering opening for FB as a magician ? Saw his act at the Magic Castle on Youtube and thought it was quite good.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 06/28/2018 : 04:58:14
Saw Rev. Horton Heat open up for Frank.
peter radiator Posted - 06/26/2018 : 15:43:31
I saw Pere Ubu open for Pixies, the first time around.

--

trobrianders Posted - 06/26/2018 : 15:27:51
I saw Pixies open for Throwing Muses.

The Maharal Posted - 06/26/2018 : 11:45:02
RSAG years ago - basically one man and his drum - who was decent. More recently Bleeding Heart Pigeons supported them at Cork. They were ok, bit too average but one or two songs were decent. Apparently a band called Fews supported them at the Cardiff gig I saw a couple of years ago but I can't remember them for the life of me. Quite possible I just didn't bother showing up in time for them. Same goes for No Ceremony in Dublin... no recollection. Marlay Park Arcade Fire were decent, All Tvvins shite and Ham Sandwich fun without being incredible.
pot Posted - 06/25/2018 : 23:52:32
Well there's the Cud/Teenge Fanclub/BMX Bandits trilogy I was made to stand through before the 3 song main act set by a band called the pixies in 1991.

Then in 2004 I saw Graham Coxon backing them up at Brixton. I'd never heard of them, and this was around the time of Franz Ferdinand so I just assumed it was the name of the band. I didn't realise it was the guitarist from Blur's band, and they were quite good.

Then in 2009 I saw another Scottish band supporting them at the SECC on the Doolittle tour called Sons & Daughters who my mate liked so much he bought the album and made me listen to it. I thought they were kind of average.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000