-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 New Pixies album thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
picpic Posted - 12/08/2017 : 01:43:03
So, let's compile the current rumors

- According to some interviews (often Paz), a new album is in the works
- Someone on this forum supposedly heard that the Rockfield studios in england have been booked in early 2018
- Charles said to some journalist last year that he'd like his next record to be produced by both Dalgery and Norton

As for the songs, nothing new on the BMI catalog, but there's still many unreleased "new" songs in the list. We already know some of them as official/unofficial demos/raw versions or short live snippets (Super Lecker), but not all of them.

ALICE PRIN	                14843364
BANKS OF THE DRAIN	        14843409
LAND OF GREEN	                14843908
LAST NIGHT THE WOLVES CAME OUT	14843911
O LITTLE CLOUD	                14844131
PICKEREL PICKER	                14844189
RATS ALIVE	                14844230
TRANQUILIZE ME	                14844508
DOWN IN TOULON	                20616476
I LIKE TO DRIVE	                20616992
SUPER LECKER	                20617959
AMERICAN RHYME	                22096890
BOGMAN	                        22096929
SCREW PINE	                22097414

___
"Service Unavailable"
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
natenate101 Posted - 01/23/2019 : 03:55:59
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs-rv4fHveg/?hl=en
Sam Posted - 01/22/2019 : 01:18:02
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

quote:
Originally posted by Jeepster

I was listening to Zen Arcade on the bus earlier and it got me thinking that a Pixies concept album would be really cool. Maybe a sci-fi epic.

Bluefinger might be about as close as we'll ever get. I'm under the assumption, right or wrong, that intentions, at least at first, were for those songs to make up a Pixies album.

I can't recall now if it was Charles or Kim but either one or both of them said the new stuff he was trying to write for the band was sounding 'fakey' so they didn't do a Pixies album, and we got this instead. Which, imo, is right up there with the very best of anything FBF has ever put out. In my personal top 5.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

Agreed Jonny!!! great record.

With the Pixies would have been incredible.

pixie punk Posted - 01/21/2019 : 09:58:54
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Meanwhile theres a photo of Pixies gear on their official twitter page showing a 12 string epiphone.

Has BF ever played a 12 string ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

There's 12-string guitar on HC, and likely buried nicely in the overall mix of many other Pixies tracks.

It could be either FBF or Joey playing it. Or, come to think of it, these days it could be Paz as well...

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

I think Joey played a 12-string guitar on Here Comes Your Man, layered with a bunch of other guitars.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/pixies/here-comes-your-man

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Jeepster Posted - 01/21/2019 : 09:10:48
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

quote:

Meanwhile theres a photo of Pixies gear on their official twitter page showing a 12 string epiphone.

___
"Service Unavailable"

There's 12-string guitar on HC, and likely buried nicely in the overall mix of many other Pixies tracks.

It could be either FBF or Joey playing it. Or, come to think of it, these days it could be Paz as well...

--

I think Joey played a 12-string guitar on Here Comes Your Man, layered with a bunch of other guitars.

-----------------------
peter radiator Posted - 01/21/2019 : 08:48:03
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

--

picpic Posted - 01/21/2019 : 07:30:52
Is compression a concept ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 01/21/2019 : 04:45:46
quote:

I canít get down with Surfer Rosa as a concept album. By that definition, basically any album is a concept album: Greatest Hits - whatís the concept? Hits. Beach boys early albums? Surfing concept albums? I gotta draw the line somewhere around here, with one or both of the following being true:

1) the artist says itís a concept album
2) there is a common, intentional lyrical thread either thematic or story, to some or all of the songs. But songs about similar topics doesnít necessarily make it a ďconceptĒ album.

Examples of obvious, clear cut concept albums:

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, Passion Play
Pink Floyd - The Wall, The Final Cut

Examples of loose concepts, maybe with some or several songs totally unrelated to the ďconcept,Ē but still probably a ďconcept albumĒ either due to strength of theme or the artist implying itís a concept:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Black Francis - Bluefinger
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
Kinks - Lola vs Powerman

Albums that are objectively not concept albums:

Most albums in general
All Pixies albums
Any singles, hits, or other compilation

Didn't have time to check OED right now, but if concept means something like "an abstract idea, a general notion," then I would say Surfer Rosa has a general notion to it.

Of course I agree that works like Bluefinger and Golem are much more outright "concept albums," but I wouldn't want to exclude Surfer.

Wikipedia: "A concept album is an album in which its tracks hold a larger purpose or meaning collectively than they do individually. This is typically achieved through a single central narrative or theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, or lyrical."

That makes me think of Surfer Rosa and Trompe Le Monde.

Regardless, I just want to be able to hear the new album clearly.
picpic Posted - 01/20/2019 : 21:36:53

Maybe this is the concept of the new record ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
sdon Posted - 01/20/2019 : 20:58:45
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

In fact, Surfer Rosa is enough of a concept album for me to count it as such. Sounds like one big crazy song to me.

a concept album about what, exactly?

[/quote]

About incestuous unions and biblical violence

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
johnnyribcage Posted - 01/20/2019 : 13:22:57
I canít get down with Surfer Rosa as a concept album. By that definition, basically any album is a concept album: Greatest Hits - whatís the concept? Hits. Beach boys early albums? Surfing concept albums? I gotta draw the line somewhere around here, with one or both of the following being true:

1) the artist says itís a concept album
2) there is a common, intentional lyrical thread either thematic or story, to some or all of the songs. But songs about similar topics doesnít necessarily make it a ďconceptĒ album.

Examples of obvious, clear cut concept albums:

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick, Passion Play
Pink Floyd - The Wall, The Final Cut

Examples of loose concepts, maybe with some or several songs totally unrelated to the ďconcept,Ē but still probably a ďconcept albumĒ either due to strength of theme or the artist implying itís a concept:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Black Francis - Bluefinger
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
Kinks - Lola vs Powerman

Albums that are objectively not concept albums:

Most albums in general
All Pixies albums
Any singles, hits, or other compilation

Jeepster Posted - 01/20/2019 : 11:14:10
quote:

In fact, Surfer Rosa is enough of a concept album for me to count it as such. Sounds like one big crazy song to me.
[/quote]

a concept album about what, exactly?

-----------------------
Bedbug Posted - 01/20/2019 : 03:55:09
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Moon Safari by Air is my favourite sci fi concept album. Love concept albums in general, Golem was awesome and Sufjan Stevens has done a few greats.

Well then all album are concept albums. Hang on, I think we need to define exactly what a concept album is?

Yeah, maybe we can start this topic by giving some examples of what is definitely not a concept album.

This is a huge rabbit hole that would probably need its own thread. Itís a super subjective definition, and one that requires a ton of caveats and a generous sliding scale.

Agreed.

Which is why I said that Frank has been doing concept albums since at least Tromple Le Monde.

johnnyribcage Posted - 01/20/2019 : 01:55:13
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Moon Safari by Air is my favourite sci fi concept album. Love concept albums in general, Golem was awesome and Sufjan Stevens has done a few greats.

Well then all album are concept albums. Hang on, I think we need to define exactly what a concept album is?

Yeah, maybe we can start this topic by giving some examples of what is definitely not a concept album.

This is a huge rabbit hole that would probably need its own thread. Itís a super subjective definition, and one that requires a ton of caveats and a generous sliding scale.

Bedbug Posted - 01/19/2019 : 22:39:18
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

"A concept album is an album by an artist that contains three or more songs which have a strong inter-relationship that also has some relevance to the title and/or sleeve design for album"

Agree with Air though. And the 10 kHz Leg end album that came out after that, is that not also a concept album? Takes me back to Guildford train station on the way from Reading to Portsmouth for a job interview testing space electronics to go to Mars, and O' Neills Irish pub.

pot Posted - 01/19/2019 : 11:33:38
quote:

"A concept album is an album by an artist that contains three or more songs which have a strong inter-relationship that also has some relevance to the title and/or sleeve design for album"

Agree with Air though. And the 10 kHz Leg end album that came out after that, is that not also a concept album? Takes me back to Guildford train station on the way from Reading to Portsmouth for a job interview testing space electronics to go to Mars, and O' Neills Irish pub.
Stevio10 Posted - 01/19/2019 : 11:25:23
Jeepster Posted - 01/19/2019 : 09:34:22
quote:

Thereís always Lenny White Presents The Adventures of Astral Pirates, which is pretty much the last word in sci-fi concept albums. And probably the last word in Lenny White albums for that matter...

Love that one! And weíve got to mention Ziggy Stardust and Parliament-Funkadelic of course. Janelle MonŠeís concept albums are brilliant too. sci-fi concept albums are so damn fun.

-----------------------
johnnyribcage Posted - 01/19/2019 : 07:58:52
Thereís always Lenny White Presents The Adventures of Astral Pirates, which is pretty much the last word in sci-fi concept albums. And probably the last word in Lenny White albums for that matter...

Jeepster Posted - 01/19/2019 : 07:43:40
I suppose Trompe le Monde is a very, very loose sci-fi concept album, but I would love a good old-fashioned narrative album. Denis, Iím gonna give that album a listen, seems awesome.

-----------------------
johnnyribcage Posted - 01/19/2019 : 07:16:36
quote:

quote:

I was listening to Zen Arcade on the bus earlier and it got me thinking that a Pixies concept album would be really cool. Maybe a sci-fi epic.

-----------------------

A sci-fi epic Pixies concept album?

You mean like Trompe Le Monde?

I thought of calling that one out but I'm not sure it's totally a concept album. Sort of. Mostly I guess. More of a concept album than Sgt. Peppers.

Ya know it's probably for another thread, but it would be interesting to make a list of all the Sci-Fi tracks through the years. I bet it's a long list.

Bedbug Posted - 01/19/2019 : 06:20:55
quote:

-----------------------

A sci-fi epic Pixies concept album?

You mean like Trompe Le Monde?
vilainde Posted - 01/19/2019 : 03:12:19
quote:

I was listening to Zen Arcade on the bus earlier and it got me thinking that a Pixies concept album would be really cool.

Fucked Up' last album Dose Your Dreams is the closest thing to what you're thinking of. Fantastic record.

Denis
johnnyribcage Posted - 01/19/2019 : 03:02:33
quote:

Bluefinger might be about as close as we'll ever get. I'm under the assumption, right or wrong, that intentions, at least at first, were for those songs to make up a Pixies album.

I can't recall now if it was Charles or Kim but either one or both of them said the new stuff he was trying to write for the band was sounding 'fakey' so they didn't do a Pixies album, and we got this instead. Which, imo, is right up there with the very best of anything FBF has ever put out. In my personal top 5.

Jeepster Posted - 01/18/2019 : 18:28:14

-----------------------
Bedbug Posted - 01/18/2019 : 09:51:49
Give us the double album we want but don't deserve:

Indie Cindy compressed / Indie Cindy not compressed
pot Posted - 01/18/2019 : 08:48:26
Double album: studio/acoustic versions
johnnyribcage Posted - 01/17/2019 : 17:03:03
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

quote:

I'm pretty sure 2018 marks the first time in his career that FB (solo or as part of Pixies/Catholics/Grand Duchy) has gone two full years without releasing an album or EP. Just an observation.

I think that's a good thing, I'll take quality over quantity any day - it's difficult to get into the Survivor poll because there's just so much back catalogue that's just feels like inessential autopilot.

I wish I hadn't read this. I can't even believe that someone would think this.

Denis

Sorry..
The peaks are amazing, timeless and I never bore of them but they are peaks and in between the lulls just dont always do it for me. There's just so much stuff in the world and so little time..

Hmm... yeah Iíll take prolific FBF over the more measured pace of late. A lot of his work has left me with mixed feelings on first release, but after a appropriate amount of time it settles in for me and is part of the whole, and indispensable. As a fan, I wouldnít want it any other way.

He strikes me as a compulsive songwriter, and I assume he is constantly coming up with stuff, just not recording it now beyond demoing it so he doesnít forget and putting it on the shelf. Or Maybe not. Who knows. Who knows what he has up his sleeves. I do know that Iím a big fan of artists just throwing it all out there to see what sticks. But itís reasonable that in a band situation like the Pixies, and with the weight of that legendary name, it makes less sense to do that. They arenít going to go record 30 randomly styled songs in Nashville out of the blue. But then, if Charles squeezes the solo career back in on the side to fill the gaps, it detracts from where the main focus is - pixies - and probably dilutes the impact of pixies releases.

From the outside, it does seem like the Pixies becoming a going concern again beyond a nostalgia act has put up some creative guardrails and set some kind of speed limit on the release schedule. To me anyway. Itís harder to expect the unexpected. But maybe thatís just where fbf and the pixies want us.

Of course, heís been doing this shit a long time, and he has a family and other interests in life. There arenít many artists or bands that have been as prolific and consistently high quality for this long, itís hard to ask for much else.

stuczuba Posted - 01/17/2019 : 10:13:23
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:

quote:

I'm pretty sure 2018 marks the first time in his career that FB (solo or as part of Pixies/Catholics/Grand Duchy) has gone two full years without releasing an album or EP. Just an observation.

I think that's a good thing, I'll take quality over quantity any day - it's difficult to get into the Survivor poll because there's just so much back catalogue that's just feels like inessential autopilot.

Denis

Sorry..
The peaks are amazing, timeless and I never bore of them but they are peaks and in between the lulls just dont always do it for me. There's just so much stuff in the world and so little time..
vilainde Posted - 01/17/2019 : 09:15:21
quote:

quote:

Denis
stuczuba Posted - 01/16/2019 : 22:10:47
quote:

pot Posted - 01/16/2019 : 14:56:53
I know right. First thing I did in my new house in 2016 when HC got internet stream released was listen to it while having a bath. The new album release will mark the time I've lived in this place, and I truly hope I don't have to experience any more FB or Pixies albums releases here, ie. it's been a bad experience overall. But I took some nice pictures of a river!
Jeepster Posted - 01/16/2019 : 14:25:38

-----------------------
pot Posted - 01/16/2019 : 13:35:57
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

So here's something I am just pulling out of thin air, but I'll put it out there anyway. Every 7-8 years, The Pixies/FB/FB and the Cs have/has put out something "double-album" in length:

1987/1988 - Come On Pilgrim/ Surfer Rosa
1994 - Teenager of the Year
2002 - Devil's Workshop/ Black Letter Days
2010 - Golem
2018/2019 - ?

I'm probably on to nothing, but truly wish I was on to something.

-oddball

You forgot Fast Man Raider Man (2006)

Also, I'm not sure just ading two separate albums together constitutes a double album. You could also do that with Bluefinger and SVN FNGRS.
pot Posted - 01/16/2019 : 13:35:01
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

I can go with that feeling. Every 4 or 5 years I go on absolute bender of a night out. A kind of bloodletting.

We do that every Saturday night in this town.
Sprite Posted - 01/16/2019 : 13:09:18
I can go with that feeling. Every 4 or 5 years I go on absolute bender of a night out. A kind of bloodletting.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000