-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Live in London 2018.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pixie punk Posted - 04/20/2018 : 01:52:57
http://www.nme.com/news/music/pixies-announce-london-roundhouse-residency-30-years-surfer-rosa-tickets-2298073

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
picpic Posted - 05/05/2018 : 03:04:13
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Was there any media on WoW when it came out?

I can't remember, how did we even know it existed?

it popped as a free download on Pixies website for record store day.
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21302

___
"Service Unavailable"
stuczuba Posted - 05/04/2018 : 04:28:08
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I hope "no wow" isn't describing the mood of the crowd when they played the new stuff. :-)

More like Mo Wow
stuczuba Posted - 05/04/2018 : 04:27:02
quote:
Originally posted by pot

What's WoW?

All I can think of is The Kills No Wow or World of Warcraft.

Wonder of Wonders - the greatest Pixies track you'll never hear!

...or Women of War, the OKish Paz-featuring track that came out immediately after Indie Cindy.

Wasn't it just dl/stream only via pixiesusic.com ?
pot Posted - 05/04/2018 : 03:24:19
What's WoW?

All I can think of is The Kills No Wow or World of Warcraft.
Bedbug Posted - 05/04/2018 : 03:13:05
Was there any media on WoW when it came out?

I can't remember, how did we even know it existed?
yarbles Posted - 05/04/2018 : 02:39:30
Lucky folks. I saw the band 9 times on the Head Carrier tour cycle, never got Plaster of Paris.
picpic Posted - 05/01/2018 : 21:11:59
I hope "no wow" isn't describing the mood of the crowd when they played the new stuff. :-)

___
"Service Unavailable"
stuczuba Posted - 05/01/2018 : 12:05:45
They played all of HC and three off of IC last time I saw them at Brixton, a rare treat to get so much new stuff. No WoW though.
Sprite Posted - 04/30/2018 : 02:20:05
They played POP at the Head Carrier show I attended in Brixton. I can confirm it was Mega!
yarbles Posted - 04/30/2018 : 02:06:54
Also Plaster of Paris and Women of War. I'd love to hear those live. (I think Plaster has only been played a handful of times, and I don't think Women ever has been)
picpic Posted - 04/26/2018 : 22:57:44
Same for Stormy Weather which was also played a few times in early 2.0 then discarded forever.

___
"Service Unavailable"
stuczuba Posted - 04/26/2018 : 12:01:22
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

D=RxT doesn’t seem to get enough play either.

I was gonna ask if that was another Kim2 song but remembered it got a run out at Brixton before Head Carrier came out..
Bedbug Posted - 04/26/2018 : 03:37:30
D=RxT doesn’t seem to get enough play either.
picpic Posted - 04/25/2018 : 23:13:38
I'm in for the "Lost Gems" tour

Oh! My golly
The Happening
Down to the well
All over the world
Hang Wire
Trompe le monde
Palace of the brine
Letter to Memphis
Bird Dream
Space I believe in
Lovely day
The Navajo know

With a Ring the Bell / Jaime Bravo encore.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 04/25/2018 : 08:27:35
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot
I'd say there's a market for that too.

I'd say those albums are nearly equally disregarded by the standard Pixies audience than FB solo work.

This is not the case if you ask me. Bossa and Trompe are canon. The reunited Pixies don’t focus on those records for personal reasons. The band was under pressure and eventuele falling apart falling apart during 1990-1993. Reviews and adoration from fans were still sky high. Rightfully so.

It’s just easier (mentally and technically) to play songs from the first records. Marketing and lazy journalism resulted in SR and Doolittle are the two classics. I have never read that statement before 2004.

Maybe I’m wrong though.

I wasn't including myself in the standard Pixies audience. Trompe Le Monde is a fucking masterpiece (regardless how it was recorded) and Bossa is not far behind.

I never really understood why they discarded many of the best tracks from those albums since the reunion. Maybe they need keyboards on them. Or a second guitar. Or they just base their judgment on crowd reaction, discarding the least crowd-shaking numbers (like they did with some IC songs). Maybe it would be a cruel disappointment to hear modern renditions of Bird Dream, Letter to Memphis, Palae of the Brine or Trompe Le Monde. Maybe they took the right decision leaving those songs alone ? I don't know. I still consider those as the Holy Grail.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Can't judge a crowd response if you don't play it. I can't help feeling they're going to need to play some of that stuff they've been avoiding if only to stop the live show becoming completely stale.
There are only 2 songs across Pilgrim/SR/DL that I've not already seen them play and I'm assuming they're going to play them in these dates. As much as I like seeing them, who's going to keeping spending to see the same set over and over?

If they would just sprinkle in some FB tunes that would do the trick too.
Bedbug Posted - 04/25/2018 : 08:26:34
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

I'd say those albums are nearly equally disregarded by the standard Pixies audience than FB solo work.

This is not the case if you ask me. Bossa and Trompe are canon. The reunited Pixies don’t focus on those records for personal reasons. The band was under pressure and eventuele falling apart falling apart during 1990-1993. Reviews and adoration from fans were still sky high. Rightfully so.

It’s just easier (mentally and technically) to play songs from the first records. Marketing and lazy journalism resulted in SR and Doolittle are the two classics. I have never read that statement before 2004.

Maybe I’m wrong though.

I wasn't including myself in the standard Pixies audience. Trompe Le Monde is a fucking masterpiece (regardless how it was recorded) and Bossa is not far behind.

I never really understood why they discarded many of the best tracks from those albums since the reunion. Maybe they need keyboards on them. Or a second guitar. Or they just base their judgment on crowd reaction, discarding the least crowd-shaking numbers (like they did with some IC songs). Maybe it would be a cruel disappointment to hear modern renditions of Bird Dream, Letter to Memphis, Palae of the Brine or Trompe Le Monde. Maybe they took the right decision leaving those songs alone ? I don't know. I still consider those as the Holy Grail.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Trompe indeed is a masterpiece. Of interest is how old Subbacultcha is and the fact that he was able to incorporate it into this new perfect piece of work. Just the sort of stuff that David Lynch does with his films.

And great point about "cruel disappointment." Few lives versions of Motorway do it for me the way the studio version does. Maybe better to let some of Trompe lay hidden away like the grail.
stuczuba Posted - 04/25/2018 : 00:44:06
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Maybe I’m wrong though.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Can't judge a crowd response if you don't play it. I can't help feeling they're going to need to play some of that stuff they've been avoiding if only to stop the live show becoming completely stale.
There are only 2 songs across Pilgrim/SR/DL that I've not already seen them play and I'm assuming they're going to play them in these dates. As much as I like seeing them, who's going to keeping spending to see the same set over and over?
picpic Posted - 04/24/2018 : 22:08:27
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Maybe I’m wrong though.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 04/24/2018 : 05:25:56
Bossanova had just come out right when I first became a fan, and everything I heard was basically "not as good as Surfer and Doolittle." At the time I agreed.

When Trompe came out and me and my friends bought it at Record Town, we liked it, and reviews at the time were positive, but again there was a lot of "SR and D are the best."

Now of course I think Trompe is probably his / their single best album. But it seems like a lot of the songs are not a fit with 2.0, or even with the revived 1.0 in 2004.

Whatever the circumstances of those songs, and whatever they meant to FB and company at the time, I'm guessing all of us have thought about them / listened to them 1000s of times more than they have. (That's what I think every time I listen to Fazer Eyes. He's played it live like what, fewer than 10 times? if that? And I listen to it every week since 94).

If they do do a Trompe anniversary tour they absolutely should have EDF as a member of the band. And still people will be yelling for HCYM or whatever else they heard on the radio at the dentist.
billgoodman Posted - 04/24/2018 : 05:12:02
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

___
"Service Unavailable"

Maybe I’m wrong though.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Bedbug Posted - 04/24/2018 : 04:18:49
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

quote:

I've not seen anything to suggest a tour (yet) - could be that these 5 shows are a one-off fund raiser to pay for studio time/next album stuff :/

Does this mean there is the possibility of a Bossa/Trompe night at some point in the future?

We have had nearly all COP & SR songs through every reunion show so far since 2004. I'm going to the roundhouse but I hope they play new stuff too.
It will be a great few nights i'm sure, but I personally would much rather bossa & trompe played in full just for variations sake.
Unfortunately the lazy narrative is that these two and Doolittle are the definitive Pixies, which is total crap of course but lazy writers stalk the land.

Hopefully we will some new stuff before Nov 18.....

Well said Sam.

Hope you enjoy the show, and please any one who goes please give us your reports.

Thanks
Sam Posted - 04/24/2018 : 01:52:19
quote:

I've not seen anything to suggest a tour (yet) - could be that these 5 shows are a one-off fund raiser to pay for studio time/next album stuff :/

Does this mean there is the possibility of a Bossa/Trompe night at some point in the future?

We have had nearly all COP & SR songs through every reunion show so far since 2004. I'm going to the roundhouse but I hope they play new stuff too.
It will be a great few nights i'm sure, but I personally would much rather bossa & trompe played in full just for variations sake.
Unfortunately the lazy narrative is that these two and Doolittle are the definitive Pixies, which is total crap of course but lazy writers stalk the land.

Hopefully we will some new stuff before Nov 18.....

picpic Posted - 04/23/2018 : 22:50:49
Good idea.

And the Trompe "widow tracks" as a bonus.

___
"Service Unavailable"
pmjk Posted - 04/23/2018 : 21:54:19

Come On Pilgrim...it’s Surfer Rosa
Would this not be the perfect time to release "Watch What You're Doing"?

If not now, then never.
If the only copy is by now unplayable, should they re-record it?
Bedbug Posted - 04/23/2018 : 09:08:45
Yeah, not a fan of that marketing move, although it does remind me of that sticker that was on the Orangelo album.

There was a while there where they could have marketed the band by saying "the Pixies do little"
jake3 Posted - 04/23/2018 : 08:23:58
Ooo... Fingers crossed for something new!!
picpic Posted - 04/23/2018 : 03:58:33
Awesome troll title.

___
"Service Unavailable"
stuczuba Posted - 04/23/2018 : 02:52:17
http://4ad.co/PIXIES30th

In addition to these special shows, 4AD will be releasing a 30th Anniversary deluxe edition of the album entitled Come On Pilgrim...it’s Surfer Rosa on August 24th 2018. More information to be released soon.

pot Posted - 04/23/2018 : 01:56:14
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

___
"Service Unavailable"

I'd say there are enough fans of those albums to do anniversary tours.
picpic Posted - 04/23/2018 : 00:53:54
quote:
Originally posted by pot

___
"Service Unavailable"
stuczuba Posted - 04/22/2018 : 04:43:21
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

quote:

No. Goal is to fill venues.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I think so, The Fax Anniversary tour. With EDF.
pot Posted - 04/22/2018 : 03:31:34
quote:

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

picpic Posted - 04/21/2018 : 21:59:51
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 04/21/2018 : 14:41:35
A Kim Hologram? Don't think so,they don't follow trends :)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
pot Posted - 04/21/2018 : 08:14:32
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Now wondering how they hell do they do Gigantic.

Crowd sing along gets my vote.

Or Dave.

I got drunk and sang the chorus lines to Gigantic one night at The Rat Pack piano bar in Edinburgh. Guy on the piano doing covers: I asked for Pixies, turned out he was a massive fan and did 5 Pixies songs that night including All Over The World.

Singing along drunk to Gigantic is enormous fun and I think this kind of dynamic would work well in the Roundhouse.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000