-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Pixies Interviews 2018.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pixie punk Posted - 02/16/2018 : 01:50:13
https://omny.fm/shows/2hours-with-matt-pifield/186-the-pixies-joey-santiago-on-plans-for-new-musi Joey talked to Matt Pinfield about the past and what's next.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 10/15/2018 : 04:10:18
Good read there
pixie punk Posted - 10/15/2018 : 02:05:41
https://www.theguitarmagazine.com/interviews/interview-pixies/ Black and Joey interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Sprite Posted - 09/28/2018 : 04:16:05
"When I asked Francis about it in 1989, he name-checked the massively aggressive and near-nihilistic, underground Chicago band Big Black as an influence. (Big Black’s Steve Albini later produced “Surfer Rosa” and later did the same for Nirvana’s “Nevermind.”)

Funny, so you infer you know all about the Pixies for almost 30 years but don't who produced Nevermind :)

No mention of new music in this one.
pixie punk Posted - 09/28/2018 : 01:51:52
http://www.wbur.org/artery/2018/09/28/pixies-boston-rock-surfer-rosa-come-on-pilgrim Joey interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
picpic Posted - 09/21/2018 : 12:14:18
YAWN...

but...

Dave:
quote:
The Martinis was just a fun thing I did with my wife

WTF ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 09/21/2018 : 00:43:45
http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2018/09/21/in-conversation-pixies-drummer-dave-lovering/ Dave interview,enjoy!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
picpic Posted - 08/08/2018 : 23:49:11
Yeah they've been on a non-stop touring spree for a few years now. Crazy.

___
"Service Unavailable"
oddball Posted - 08/08/2018 : 13:56:31
From what I can tell, if nothing new is released before the end of 2018, this will mark the first gap of greater than two years in "Pixies/FB/FBandtheCs/BF/Charles in collaboration with others" history. Given the fact that Charles has always been a prolific artist, I think what we are seeing is the end result of a sea change that has been brewing for quite some time -- music releases/sales are forced to take a back seat to concerts/touring when it comes to generating income. Frustrated Frank Black fans such as myself are left fighting the urge to wonder what might have happened over the past five years had the Pixies not decided to release new material.
-Oddball
picpic Posted - 08/07/2018 : 20:44:22
The band can be in studio recording ideas or demos and not especially an album (they went to 2 or 3 studios for HC if I remember correctly. They were recording in Canada -everyone though the new album was done by then- and then they went to Riverside studio in Bath and then finally the "real" (?) sessions were recorded at RAK in London)

___
"Service Unavailable"
Sprite Posted - 08/07/2018 : 05:39:52
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

"As for the next album, Santiago says they won't know what it will sound like until it gets recorded, but on his end, he wants it to sound as raw as possible."

Was hoping for something a little more past tense...

Same here, darnit. Well, gonna be a bit of a longer wait than we anticipated. I'm not a patient person at all so it's gonna be a rough rest of 2018.

By the way I am a glass half full kinda guy so I am going to dream that Wilson's very brief and singular return to the forum was very-much-not-appreciated by the band and that actually they have the new album in the can already but it's like so hush-hush right now.
picpic Posted - 08/07/2018 : 00:44:12
Thanks. Is it worth listening ? Or are we gonna learn that they don't have a setlist ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 08/06/2018 : 12:40:24
https://www.kx935.com/podcasts/tnn-radio-august-5-2018-show-pixies/ Joey interview podcast.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Sprite Posted - 08/06/2018 : 09:45:21
And there's the problem, I like my Pixies incoherent!
picpic Posted - 08/05/2018 : 20:18:20
IC 2013
HC 2016
next 2019

sounds coherent

___
"Service Unavailable"
natenate101 Posted - 08/05/2018 : 18:05:15
quote:

"As for the next album, Santiago says they won't know what it will sound like until it gets recorded, but on his end, he wants it to sound as raw as possible."

Same here, darnit. Well, gonna be a bit of a longer wait than we anticipated. I'm not a patient person at all so it's gonna be a rough rest of 2018.
johnnyribcage Posted - 08/04/2018 : 19:13:25
quote:

One of the most memorable points about the last time I saw The Pixies (Brixton 2016) was that they played *every single song* from Head Carrier. This makes me think that the band are fully aware of what the informed audience wants....

The “Informed Audience” - man I hear ya. Probably impossible to have an Informed Audience in the States these days. Most everyone is overinformed by a few things and subsequently underinformed on essentially everything else.

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow
Sprite Posted - 08/04/2018 : 13:46:40
One of the most memorable points about the last time I saw The Pixies (Brixton 2016) was that they played *every single song* from Head Carrier. This makes me think that the band are fully aware of what the informed audience wants....
johnnyribcage Posted - 08/04/2018 : 08:01:41
Also it probably doesn't help my frame of mind that I've been listening to a ton of live Grateful Dead the last several months. Getting spoiled by the intense variety and variation on the same songs over decades of performance.

johnnyribcage Posted - 08/04/2018 : 07:58:53
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage
Also, they're playing what folks want to hear, and more power to them, but I for one would love to hear a lot more of the new material in the setlists. I caught them on the Weezer tour and IIRC Silver Snail and All the Saints were the only IC/HC numbers.

Do you think it has anything to do with their american audience ? They played more of the new stuff on european tours I think.

Anyway, 2018 is obviously a greatest hits year before new stuff in 2019 (which hasn't been recorded yet according to Joey I suppose).

___
"Service Unavailable"

Yeah I don't know - could be. It was the exact same show they played here in 2017, only abbreviated. Enjoyable enough, but predictable.

picpic Posted - 08/04/2018 : 07:49:16
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage
Also, they're playing what folks want to hear, and more power to them, but I for one would love to hear a lot more of the new material in the setlists. I caught them on the Weezer tour and IIRC Silver Snail and All the Saints were the only IC/HC numbers.

Do you think it has anything to do with their american audience ? They played more of the new stuff on european tours I think.

Anyway, 2018 is obviously a greatest hits year before new stuff in 2019 (which hasn't been recorded yet according to Joey I suppose).

___
"Service Unavailable"
QuaBear Posted - 08/04/2018 : 07:36:20
I don't know...playing the old hits are tiring in my opinion, and i'm pretty sure a good amount could agree...i didn't go see them this time around or even last year...I've seen them enough...what else do they have to offer? I love the Pixies, but the schtick is getting tired, at least for me...but I can't really blame them to continue to tour or such...so no real hard feelings, i'm just personally not going to partake in going to the shows for a while or ever until something new and interesting comes out from them, which i don't know will ever happen again...

but what the pixies did from 1987-1992 won't be forgotten in my eyes :) time to move on
johnnyribcage Posted - 08/04/2018 : 06:51:19
quote:
Originally posted by oddball

Bedbug, I think you're absolutely right. It's somehow sad to see Charles' extensive body of non-Pixies work shrouded in the heyday of what came before.
-Oddball

I'd add that it's sad that it seems the prolific years are over for the most part, and there probably isn't a chance of the Pixies reviving some Catholics or solo material live. I love the new Pixies stuff, but the pace, quantity, and exploratory variety are tamped down. Also, they're playing what folks want to hear, and more power to them, but I for one would love to hear a lot more of the new material in the setlists. I caught them on the Weezer tour and IIRC Silver Snail and All the Saints were the only IC/HC numbers.

picpic Posted - 08/04/2018 : 06:07:11
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbzv0mX9CuQ VĂ­deo interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

They don’t have a setlist ? Really ? Wow. Never heard that in an interview.

Now we need to know how they feel about Kurt Cobain.

___
"Service Unavailable"
oddball Posted - 08/04/2018 : 05:08:19
Bedbug, I think you're absolutely right. It's somehow sad to see Charles' extensive body of non-Pixies work shrouded in the heyday of what came before.
-Oddball
pixie punk Posted - 08/04/2018 : 01:58:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbzv0mX9CuQ VĂ­deo interview.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Bedbug Posted - 08/04/2018 : 01:53:46
I don’t disagree with any of what you wrote picpic.

You’re probably right.

The only thing I would add is:

“About 10 people on earth care enough to discuss this, and they are here on the forum.”
picpic Posted - 08/03/2018 : 18:59:18
Heres my 1 cent about the whole thing

- Black is cool and doesn't really care. He's not that fussy anymore about his band and does what his audience wants.
- Joey is very proud of the band history (remember he absolutely wanted a female bass player to replace Deal when Black didn't really care ?). He also wants the records to sound like early Pixies.
Dalgety is known for producing modern "raw" records, so that's just what he wants. He fell in love with how Head Carrier sounded and wants more of that. Black goes along with that, because he still feels a bit guilty about the initial Pixies breakup and tries his best not to be an ass and respect Joey's vision about the band.
- Dave doesn't care
- Paz respects the band history and does her best Kim impression because that's what the audience like and why she was hired for.

Next album: Head Carrier 2.0

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 08/03/2018 : 10:32:28
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

"Raw" as opposed to "polished" and more elaborated Norton productions (including Indie Cindy), if you want my opinion.

Head Carrier is the album Joey is most proud of since "the first one" (https://youtu.be/_gUjA1Gnqzo?t=5m29s). I'm sure he wants to continue in that direction. Oh well.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Let's hope he's into new ideas since then.
picpic Posted - 08/03/2018 : 06:07:21
"Raw" as opposed to "polished" and more elaborated Norton productions (including Indie Cindy), if you want my opinion.

Head Carrier is the album Joey is most proud of since "the first one" (https://youtu.be/_gUjA1Gnqzo?t=5m29s). I'm sure he wants to continue in that direction. Oh well.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 08/03/2018 : 04:23:16
I’m just hoping “raw” is another way to say “without any of that compression sounding garbage that interfered with the last two albums”
Sprite Posted - 08/03/2018 : 03:07:01

pixie punk Posted - 08/03/2018 : 01:26:45
https://www.bendsource.com/bend/memories-and-excitement/Content?oid=6853652 Joey interview.MENTIONS NEW ALBUM!!!!!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
pixie punk Posted - 07/24/2018 : 03:50:59
https://www.uncut.co.uk/news/pixies-surfer-rosa-step-loudness-106546 Charles Surfer Rosa interview from Uncut Magazine.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
picpic Posted - 07/06/2018 : 08:20:17
Just copy-paste the url on some random US proxy

Here for example https://www.usa-proxy.org

___
"Service Unavailable"
Sprite Posted - 07/06/2018 : 05:58:09
Thanks but don't worry. Unless it's saying 'the new album is already recorded and here is the low down on each track' I can manage without. I just hope all US sites are going down the road of blocking access to Europe!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000