-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Surfer Rosa SACD

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hammerhands Posted - 08/29/2017 : 07:54:04
I'm considering buying a copy of this at an outrageous price.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
hammerhands Posted - 04/17/2018 : 04:57:12
Any serious listening I do is now only ever done on headphones.

I haven’t been listening to music much at all lately.
trobrianders Posted - 04/17/2018 : 04:23:14
Hammer do you mostly listen on headphones or through speakers? I listen on headphones but I'm curious what differences you might hear through speakers.

hammerhands Posted - 04/15/2018 : 14:09:13
I don’t have anything else to spend my money on.
trobrianders Posted - 04/15/2018 : 14:03:39
Thank you but that's not so much my thing. I play 'em. I enjoy 'em. I wasn't trying to make any kind of point except to offer an alternative to picking up all the SACDs. What do you think about that idea?

hammerhands Posted - 04/13/2018 : 12:17:01
I would suggest to look for yourself.

Do you have a copy of FFMPEG? You can get it to create a spectrogram.

ffmpeg -i audio.flac -lavfi showspectrumpic=s=1024x1024 spectrogram.png
trobrianders Posted - 04/13/2018 : 11:59:59
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

i don't think hammerhands doubts that the files on the blu ray are 24/192 audio files.
he's merely sceptical about the amount of information in those audio files. (i can turn a 16/41 mp3 into a 24/192 flac. it's easy. but that doesn't mean it'll be 24/192 quality...)

it's educational

Thanks. In the absence of facts you have to go on likleyhoods. How likely is it that official Pixies merch would feature files purporting to be 24/192 on blu ray if they were actually converted from say 16/44? I suppose it's possible that whoever is responsible thinks so little of fans/customers.

Discoking Posted - 04/11/2018 : 11:11:56
i don't think hammerhands doubts that the files on the blu ray are 24/192 audio files.
he's merely sceptical about the amount of information in those audio files. (i can turn a 16/41 mp3 into a 24/192 flac. it's easy. but that doesn't mean it'll be 24/192 quality...)

it's educational
benji Posted - 04/10/2018 : 17:56:30
quote:
Originally posted by trobrianders

quote:
Originally posted by benji

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

I don’t think there is 192khz worth of information on the blu-rays.

Product Description

Yeah, but that Product Description is a little loose with the truth!
States that the live performance is from 1991 when it's actually from 1990.
I also believe that there was no blu-ray of that live performance either, just a dvd copy.
So wouldn't be surprised if more is wrong.
But in saying that, here's a pic of the audio rips of Minotaur that were available from what.cd (RIP) way back when.
https://ibb.co/ikRtPx
Trompe was on there too, but off bottom of screen.
Unfortunately, I never downloaded the albums from this torrent. Only one I did was the 24/96 version of the Brixton Academy live gig.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian

Hi benji. I was at that June show. And it was 91. Bought a bootleg cassette at Camden Market a few weeks after that show. Played it to death. You're maybe thinking of the October 90 show which I was also at. In regard to the 24/192 I can't say. I'm not up on that tech stuff. But my AK70 player display shows 24/192 for the flac files. I was just trying to say getting hold of the blu ray flac rips seems like a good alternative to picking up all the SACDs. I can send you a link to a site from where you can download these flac files. trobriandersatgmaildotcom

Ah, old-man brain does it again!
Yes, the gig was of course in 1991. I was getting confused with another site which has the same info but states that the gig is from 1992, which it most definitely was not. Yes, was indeed 1991.
My bad.
email sent.

trobrianders Posted - 04/10/2018 : 15:38:51
quote:
Originally posted by benji

quote:

quote:

Product Description

I also believe that there was no blu-ray of that live performance either, just a dvd copy.
But in saying that, here's a pic of the audio rips of Minotaur that were available from what.cd (RIP) way back when.
Unfortunately, I never downloaded the albums from this torrent. Only one I did was the 24/96 version of the Brixton Academy live gig.

Hi benji. I was at that June show. And it was 91. Bought a bootleg cassette at Camden Market a few weeks after that show. Played it to death. You're maybe thinking of the October 90 show which I was also at. In regard to the 24/192 I can't say. I'm not up on that tech stuff. But my AK70 player display shows 24/192 for the flac files. I was just trying to say getting hold of the blu ray flac rips seems like a good alternative to picking up all the SACDs. I can send you a link to a site from where you can download these flac files. trobriandersatgmaildotcom

benji Posted - 04/09/2018 : 19:07:19
quote:

quote:

Product Description

trobrianders Posted - 04/09/2018 : 15:01:54
quote:

Product Description

5-CD + 4-LP + 1-Blu-ray + 2-DVD + 54, 96 Book set) The definitive Pixies collector's piece. Minotaur is curated by legendary graphic designer, Vaughan Oliver with photographer Simon Larbalestier, created the album artwork for all five Pixies' studio albums. Oliver and Larbalestier have teamed up once again on Minotaur, to create their largest single body of Pixies work to date. Includes all five Pixies' studio albums (Come on Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa, Doolittle, Bossanova, and Trompe le Monde) in the following formats: 24k gold plated CD's; five 12" - 180 gram virgin vinyl LP's cut from the original analog tapes; Blu-ray audio mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/192; DVD mastered for 5.1 surround sound and 2 channel stereo at 24/96. Also included is the previously unreleased Pixies 1991 live performance from Brixton, on both Blu-ray and DVD, mastered for 5.1 surround sound at 24/192 and 24/96, respectively. All discs are housed in a custom designed folio. In addition to reinterpreting all of the original album covers, Oliver's and Larbalestier's extensive work is featured in a 96-page fine art book, measuring 22" x 14" inches, and an additional 54-page book, measuring 7.75" x 8.25". Also included is a 12" x 19.5" giclee print of the duo's work, and two double-sided fold-out posters measuring 48" x 36." Each copy of the Limited Edition is individually numbered, and hand-signed by every member of the Pixies and Vaughan Oliver. Additionally, at random, 25 of the 3000 Limited Edition sets will include test pressings of the vinyl albums. Housed in an oversized clamshell case and weighing over 25 pounds

hammerhands Posted - 04/07/2018 : 11:12:38
trobrianders Posted - 04/06/2018 : 12:27:05
The 24/192 flac files ripped off the Minotaur box set blu ray are a better and cheaper option than messing around with SACDs. All five albums sound phenomenal on my Astell & Kern

Discoking Posted - 08/31/2017 : 23:53:28
i'm surprised they're so expensive now.
are they that hard to find?

listed ebay prices aren't always a good indicator: a lot of these items never sell, because the price is way too high.
if you search for sold items, the surfer rosa one seems to have sold for around $40-45 recently.

it's educational
Discoking Posted - 08/31/2017 : 23:46:38
i can't remember how much i paid for my mfsl sacd, but it was never cheap.
must have been around 20-25 euro, i guess?

it's educational
hammerhands Posted - 08/31/2017 : 00:16:07
A bit confusing, but I don't think so.

It was Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs.

"Surfer Rosa is being re-mastered by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab from recently discovered, first-generation analog original master tapes."

The comments about it suggest it was EQ'd in a way some liked and some do not.
picpic Posted - 08/30/2017 : 22:38:42
Is this a remastered version ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
hammerhands Posted - 08/30/2017 : 00:58:33
Older, and now very expensive to buy, but I've got a line on one in
"acceptable" condition for a reasonable price...in fact I think I own it.
Bought it in Japan.

I didn't know until now that I wanted it.

Price on eBay was about 70 U.S. dollars, like new.
I got this one for about half the price.
Discoking Posted - 08/29/2017 : 23:59:24
this is an older release, right?
or is there a new one?

how outrageous is the price you're considering?

it's educational

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000