-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Not worth a topic, but at least postable...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jake3 Posted - 03/06/2018 : 07:11:41
Thought I'd set a generic Frank Black thread up akin to the one in the Pixies discussion area.

Does anyone have any answers to any of these questions I have?:

- Is Frank's debut solo album effectively an overhaul of Pixies tracks destined for a post Trompe le Monde album? I heard he was going to release an album of covers as a solo album whilst still continuing with the Pixies but the plan changed. Did he just think fuck it, I wrote these songs, I'll release them however I please? I know Brackish Boy and Surf Epic were confirmed unreleased Pixies songs but has anyone heard anything to lend weight or disprove that the rest were also originally Pixies tracks?

- Why was 'Men in Black' recorded as a b-side to Headache and not included on Teenager of the Year? Had it not been written until after the TOTY session(s)?

- Is there anywhere online I can hear the Headache b-side 'Amnesia'?

- When was 'Jumping Beans' written? Is it an outtake from a certain album?

- What's with The Cult of Ray's terrible album cover?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stevio10 Posted - 03/24/2018 : 01:13:32
Anyone know who the song Holland Town is about? I presume it's about a real person as it mentions the Ratskellar (the club the Rat that Pixies would often play back in the day).
Bedbug Posted - 03/08/2018 : 01:20:03
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

I believe Jumping Beans was written around 94 or so.

I think it first appeared on the Kitchen Tapes (Joey + FB recording demos in FB's kitchen) where it and The Modern Age were included on the Live in Paris release via Virgin records in 95, link below for info.

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Black-The-Black-Sessions-Live-In-Paris-Plus-The-Kitchen-Tapes/release/519688

Also found this old interview from Catholics debut era describing the first few solo albums

http://www.beermelodies.com/frank-black’s-catholics-debut-wondrous-two-track-demo/

Do you see this album as a logical progression from your first three solo efforts?

FRANK: You could categorize the first two solo albums as a relaxed period which progresses from the Pixies. I was still working with Eric Feldman, who worked on the Pixies’ Trompe Le Monde. We goofed around and had fun with the arrangements. We were enjoying ourselves using players we regularly listen to

Thank you Stevio10, that was a great interview to read.
Stevio10 Posted - 03/07/2018 : 03:03:49
I believe Jumping Beans was written around 94 or so.

I think it first appeared on the Kitchen Tapes (Joey + FB recording demos in FB's kitchen) where it and The Modern Age were included on the Live in Paris release via Virgin records in 95, link below for info.

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Black-The-Black-Sessions-Live-In-Paris-Plus-The-Kitchen-Tapes/release/519688

Also found this old interview from Catholics debut era describing the first few solo albums

http://www.beermelodies.com/frank-black’s-catholics-debut-wondrous-two-track-demo/

Do you see this album as a logical progression from your first three solo efforts?

FRANK: You could categorize the first two solo albums as a relaxed period which progresses from the Pixies. I was still working with Eric Feldman, who worked on the Pixies’ Trompe Le Monde. We goofed around and had fun with the arrangements. We were enjoying ourselves using players we regularly listen to
peter radiator Posted - 03/06/2018 : 19:48:08
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

Why was 'Men in Black' recorded as a b-side to Headache and not included on Teenager of the Year? Had it not been written until after the TOTY session(s)?

I believe that song was written post-TOTY sessions. It was a common practice at that particular time to include "bonus tracks" on what were then being marketed as "CD Maxi-Singles," in an effort to stimulate sales to ardent collectors - particularly in foreign markets such as the U.K., Australia and Japan.

In fact, many Japanese album CDs by a wide variety of rock acts routinely featured a second bonus disc of extra tracks or simply expanded track listings on single-disc releases, which included songs or alternate versions which were exclusive to that country and not found on the domestic version of said CDs.

If memory serves, the quick-and-dirty demo-esque recording sessions in NYC which resulted in the early versions of "Men In Black," "Oddballs," "Hate Me," etc... were a test run of sorts for FBF working with his friend, singer-songwriter and semi-legendary punk and R&B indie record producer Jon Tiven, who arranged for the studio time and acted as producer and perhaps even engineer on those tracks.

Tiven would later come back into FBF's orbit and work with him on a few other projects, including some one-off cover songs for a few thematically based tribute anthologies and the triple-whammy of sessions which resulted in the albums Honeycomb and Fast Man Raider Man.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Bedbug Posted - 03/06/2018 : 07:35:13
Good questions, I have no answers.

Your questions seem to concern the Imperial period, which makes me wonder if there is much if any biographical material out there on the man during those years? Is there a book on TOTY, something like the 33&1/3 series?

And re: your first question: why can't they now do a Pixies (2.0) version of Brackish Boy? Only the FB fans within Pixies fandom would know, and nobody would care either way, and it would probably be awesome.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000