-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 what music is doing it for you lately?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jose Jones Posted - 06/23/2009 : 15:13:01
i'm so thrilled about some albums lately, but i don't want to make a new topic for each one, so here's the list:

DEERHUNTER - microcastle
i just discovered this a couple months ago, and it's easily one of the best albums i've ever heard. i can't stop listening to it!

THE HANDSOME FAMILY - honey moon
beautiful, nearly flawless album. rennie sparks never disappoints. great summer night album.

ANIMAL COLLECIVE - merriweather post pavillion
haven't stopped listening to this one since january. endlessly wonderful.

-----------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 05/16/2018 : 13:25:17
The Better Call Saul soundtrack is nice and moody.
The Maharal Posted - 05/14/2018 : 07:59:47
quote:
Originally posted by pot

New Canshaker Pi album

Remember an album from them years ago that was alright. Now they sound like Pavement.

Track 11 - Half Book claims somewhere in the lyrics that the "latest Pixies' records suck" but I can't work out the context because there's no sleeve.

I recal they were also slagging off Coldplay on their first album, but that was perhaps more deserved.

He's quite fond of old Pixies anyway.

quote:
Pixies are probably my favourite band of all time. I guess, together with some other bands, they made me like music. All the songs off of Come on Pilgrim just sound like theyíve always been there.

That track is decent, it's a bit like Parquet Courts.
OLDMANOTY Posted - 05/13/2018 : 10:13:49
I Like Fun - They Might Be Giants new one & Nanobots from a few years ago. On a TMBG binge at the moment. Also Eleanor Friedberger's latest 'Rebound'(singer from Fiery Furnaces mentioned above).
coastline Posted - 05/12/2018 : 10:41:44
Leon Bridges - "Good Thing"

Post Malone -- various tracks

If all you see is violins, then I make a plea in their defense.
pot Posted - 05/11/2018 : 07:30:55
New Canshaker Pi album

Remember an album from them years ago that was alright. Now they sound like Pavement.

Track 11 - Half Book claims somewhere in the lyrics that the "latest Pixies' records suck" but I can't work out the context because there's no sleeve.

I recal they were also slagging off Coldplay on their first album, but that was perhaps more deserved.
Bedbug Posted - 05/05/2018 : 00:26:22
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:

Fiery Furnances

Just checked them out, not bad

Blueberry Boat is their best lp, imo.

That's the one I listened to. Enjoyed it.
darwin Posted - 05/03/2018 : 05:09:18
quote:

quote:

Fiery Furnances

Blueberry Boat is their best lp, imo.
Bedbug Posted - 05/02/2018 : 12:12:22
"Manta Ray" by J. Ralph and Antony
Bedbug Posted - 05/02/2018 : 12:11:26
quote:

Fiery Furnances

darwin Posted - 05/02/2018 : 06:35:36
Malkmus, Parquet Courts
darwin Posted - 05/01/2018 : 13:35:53
Fiery Furnances
pot Posted - 04/28/2018 : 03:58:21
The new Twin Shadow is album is amazing. Really soulful, and catchy tunes with a bit of an 80's Prince-esque edge to them.

Heard one of his tunes a few years ago and quite liked it but never actually listened to a whole album. Check out the new one #Caer if this kind of music is sometimes your thing.
Bedbug Posted - 04/27/2018 : 11:11:57
Yikes!

The Go Team!ís cover of Bull in the Heather is the best thing Iíve heard in years.

I have a headache way down in the base of my neck.
Bedbug Posted - 04/27/2018 : 04:46:23
On a bit of an R.E.M. kick today.

They were good.
danjersey Posted - 04/20/2018 : 16:50:28
fnm
Bedbug Posted - 04/16/2018 : 07:01:22
Last night I put on "A Tear For Eddie" by Ween, and someone said, "Oh, Pink Floyd?"

That's about as high a complement as you could ask for.
pixiestu Posted - 04/12/2018 : 01:25:30
quote:
Originally posted by pixiestu

I'm so into Weezer at the minute, specifically Blue (which will always be one of my favourite albums) and Red, which I've never really given much of a chance to before now. There are some great songs on it though.

"The arc of triumph"

Sorry to quote myself but I've moved on to Pinkerton now and oh my God! I'm disappointed that I haven't had this album in my life up until now. Tired of Sex, Across the Sea, El Scorcho...all had an instant impression on me.

It sounds so much more raw than the blue album, it sort of reminded me of Surfer Rosa.
pot Posted - 03/27/2018 : 01:51:01
Still FRIGS

This band are hot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5WyunwbVNA
pixiestu Posted - 03/25/2018 : 23:15:40
I'm so into Weezer at the minute, specifically Blue (which will always be one of my favourite albums) and Red, which I've never really given much of a chance to before now. There are some great songs on it though.

"The arc of triumph"
Bedbug Posted - 03/23/2018 : 21:13:52
Ok I've listened to Rock 2 a couple times the past couple days.

Very good album, no surprises, definitely closer to Moist Boyz than Ween, but still a solid 11 tracks.

So far The Ritz Carlton is my favorite.
Bedbug Posted - 03/22/2018 : 06:35:43
New Dean Ween Band album "Rock 2" is out.

I've only heard snippets so far, but you know it'll be good.
pot Posted - 03/19/2018 : 03:28:23
The new FRIGS album is growing on me exponentially
danjersey Posted - 03/06/2018 : 17:44:28
Charles Bradley performs Black Sabbath's 'Changes'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfaOf70M4xs
please excuse if you mind living on soul
Srisaket Posted - 02/25/2018 : 19:20:30
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Decided to trial Apple Music for three months, a pretty nice trial deal I think. Gives you free access to just about every album ever released in the history of albums, as well as instant streaming access to brand new material. Might consider subscribing at the end of it, pretty good value I think for £10 per month. Gone are the days of having to listen to new albums on the headphones in HMV, while inevitably dying for a slash.

Peter Kernel have a new album coming out soon and some of the new tracks of that are sounding pretty good, eg. Kanada. They're from Canada by the way.

They've always been a bit experimental, but not so much that it's boring. I'm listening to their first album from 2008 How To Perform At A Funeral and the track Shoot Back has a definite Pixies influence to it. Aris does a very good impression of some of the varied singing styles of Black Francis quite well also on the track Happy To See You, in fact if one was none the wiser one might be fooled into thinking it was TMH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujMrdfaveM8

There's a limit to what you can find to listen to on YouTube.

I know I live in the 3rd world, but 10 quid sounds a bit steep to me. I use Deezer and pay 3 quid a month including downloads etc, the price for Apple Music is around double that and I've got all the FB back catalogue available to stream as well. Not gloating, just sayin !
tisasawath Posted - 02/24/2018 : 22:43:52
quote:
Originally posted by pot

The new MGMT album's pretty good. Lot's a fun, catchy tunes. This one's totally out of the 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UX9Q46mNFQ

bestest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD2SIQe3q08
OLDMANOTY Posted - 02/24/2018 : 12:33:15
'Interplanetary Class Classics' by Moonlandingz is a fun listen.
Bedbug Posted - 02/13/2018 : 11:49:04
Apple... Amazon.... I guess that's all there really is in the world.

Makes me think about what great antiquity apples and the Amazon have.
pot Posted - 02/13/2018 : 07:06:28
quote:

Yeah, Iíve been doing Apple for a few years now, probably wonít change.

They are lacking a lot of FBF stuff though. Like no Christmass??? Are you kidding??

Luckily I bought practically the entier FBF + C backcatalogue 10 years ago on iTunes. Most of the albums were going for about £4.74 a pop, and I used to have money.

Then Apple wanted to charge me more money to get the same albums (I'd just paid hundreds of quid for) on 256kbps and DRM free, and that's when I told them where they can shove their iTunes.

Are you allowed to drop albums on to your iPod without buying them using this deal? I'm about to sell my 5 year old 160GB iPod Classic and invest some of the money I get back in a 128GB Micro SD card. Can't be bothered with the click wheel, it might have been good 15 years ago but it's a pain in the arse now. I still have my 8GB 2nd gen iPod touch but I don't imagine that can sync to Apple music.

That's the thing about Apple, they're quite good but at the same time they're a bunch of wanks when it comes to software obsolescence.
Bedbug Posted - 02/13/2018 : 05:09:16
There should be an FBF app that you can listen to his entire discography and his entire live performances.

Who can do that for us?
Bedbug Posted - 02/13/2018 : 05:07:47
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Decided to trial Apple Music for three months, a pretty nice trial deal I think. Gives you free access to just about every album ever released in the history of albums, as well as instant streaming access to brand new material. Might consider subscribing at the end of it, pretty good value I think for £10 per month. Gone are the days of having to listen to new albums on the headphones in HMV, while inevitably dying for a slash.

Peter Kernel have a new album coming out soon and some of the new tracks of that are sounding pretty good, eg. Kanada. They're from Canada by the way.

They've always been a bit experimental, but not so much that it's boring. I'm listening to their first album from 2008 How To Perform At A Funeral and the track Shoot Back has a definite Pixies influence to it. Aris does a very good impression of some of the varied singing styles of Black Francis quite well also on the track Happy To See You, in fact if one was none the wiser one might be fooled into thinking it was TMH:

Yeah, Iíve been doing Apple for a few years now, probably wonít change.

They are lacking a lot of FBF stuff though. Like no Christmass??? Are you kidding??
pot Posted - 02/13/2018 : 00:14:44

Bedbug Posted - 02/12/2018 : 04:23:45
Every now and again I listen to "Underwater" by Mary's Danish.

pot Posted - 02/09/2018 : 20:36:58
Just listening to the new Richard Thompson album(s) Acoustic rarities. Don't know why it's called rarities because there are a few tracks on there that are rerecordings of some of his early work with Linda Thompson, which is quite well known to most who know Richard Thompson.

Proper folk music for non-Ed Sheeran fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbuoofHAxIE
pot Posted - 02/09/2018 : 07:32:46
The new MGMT album's pretty good. Lot's a fun, catchy tunes. This one's totally out of the 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UX9Q46mNFQ
danjersey Posted - 02/06/2018 : 19:27:38
Soul sold as Pop! Either way it ainít disco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNfFZULPcgk

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000