-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 New Pixies album thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
picpic Posted - 12/08/2017 : 01:43:03
So, let's compile the current rumors

- According to some interviews (often Paz), a new album is in the works
- Someone on this forum supposedly heard that the Rockfield studios in england have been booked in early 2018
- Charles said to some journalist last year that he'd like his next record to be produced by both Dalgery and Norton

As for the songs, nothing new on the BMI catalog, but there's still many unreleased "new" songs in the list. We already know some of them as official/unofficial demos/raw versions or short live snippets (Super Lecker), but not all of them.

ALICE PRIN	                14843364
BANKS OF THE DRAIN	        14843409
LAND OF GREEN	                14843908
LAST NIGHT THE WOLVES CAME OUT	14843911
O LITTLE CLOUD	                14844131
PICKEREL PICKER	                14844189
RATS ALIVE	                14844230
TRANQUILIZE ME	                14844508
DOWN IN TOULON	                20616476
I LIKE TO DRIVE	                20616992
SUPER LECKER	                20617959
AMERICAN RHYME	                22096890
BOGMAN	                        22096929
SCREW PINE	                22097414

___
"Service Unavailable"
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 02/16/2018 : 06:53:36
If two albums (IC HC) produce only one B-side (WOW) that seems to me that they are planning on using most of the other demo songs like O Little Cloud for the new album.

It really doesnít matter as long as itís good.
Bedbug Posted - 02/09/2018 : 11:32:45
Bad frank black music > good Weezer music

Thatís why it is very cool news to me.

But no matter what happens, Iím sure my most frequently spun album of 2018 will be either Trompe or TOTY.

Is that good, bad, sad, or rad?
oddball Posted - 02/09/2018 : 10:44:57
Maybe something new will be out by then, considering that Weezer will be releasing their new Black Album prior to the tour.

-oddball
Sprite Posted - 02/09/2018 : 10:42:21
What would be the coolest news is if we knew there would new music out before this Weezer tour. What do people think are the chances? I could do without the 6 month mixing and tweaking that seemed to happen with last two.
picpic Posted - 02/09/2018 : 08:46:20
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug
But in the music world of 2018, the news we got is the best we could hope for.

Ehhh... I'm hoping for more exciting stuff in the music world of 2018 than Santiago & Dalgety taking a selfie.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 02/09/2018 : 03:14:09
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
Very cool news

Mhhh.. Very cool news would rather be something like: "Black Francis is bored with overproduced records and both Dalgety and the band have decided to produce new Pixies material the good old-fashioned way"

___
"Service Unavailable"
___
"Service Unavailable"

Yes that would be cooler news.

But in the music world of 2018, the news we got is the best we could hope for.
picpic Posted - 02/09/2018 : 02:58:44
quote:
Very cool news

Mhhh.. Very cool news would rather be something like: "Black Francis is bored with overproduced records and both Dalgety and the band have decided to produce new Pixies material the good old-fashioned way"

___
"Service Unavailable"

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 02/09/2018 : 02:46:03
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Just to stir things up, Dalgety was in LA in January and has one IG post with Paz and Joey. Maybe preliminary work/meetings?

Cool news.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Very cool news
picpic Posted - 02/09/2018 : 00:16:05
quote:

Just to stir things up, Dalgety was in LA in January and has one IG post with Paz and Joey. Maybe preliminary work/meetings?

Cool news.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Discoking Posted - 02/07/2018 : 21:10:44
and that's a full kitchen.
sorry, other 13 die-hards.

it's educational
sdon Posted - 02/07/2018 : 10:53:17
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

next precore in my kitchen!

it's educational

Count me in

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
natenate101 Posted - 02/06/2018 : 14:26:18
Discoking Posted - 02/06/2018 : 09:18:35
next precore in my kitchen!

it's educational
Bedbug Posted - 02/06/2018 : 07:11:54
And great point about the 15 haunts at the forum. Maybe we should form a secret society and have an annual meeting.
Bedbug Posted - 02/06/2018 : 07:11:03
quote:

Heís 50+ and has 30+ (?) albums behind him. He once said that, as early as Trompe, he kind if lost this ability to write fast without thinking too much. I just donít think that would work nowadays. Well, it would work for us, the 15 die-hard fans hauting this forum, probably not for the standard Pixies audience.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Yeah, I hear you man, and I don't disagree, you're right.

But there is such a thing as too much help.
picpic Posted - 02/05/2018 : 10:07:39
Heís 50+ and has 30+ (?) albums behind him. He once said that, as early as Trompe, he kind if lost this ability to write fast without thinking too much. I just donít think that would work nowadays. Well, it would work for us, the 15 die-hard fans hauting this forum, probably not for the standard Pixies audience.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 02/05/2018 : 09:03:27
quote:

They definitely canít put out random stuff as the Pixies. And iím sure Charles must take the otherís opinion into account before putting anything out. Even if he can probably operate a bit more freely now that Kim is gone. Band stuff.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I think some of their best stuff has a random feel to it. Plenty of material from the early albums have a feeling of spontaneity which I don't feel much of on 2.0. Didn't Frank even say that he wrote the second verse of Bone Machine right before he got up and performed it the first time live? And also I think he said that they wrote Ana (maybe it was another Bossanova tune) while they were in the studio because they had some time to kill or to fill.

As Tod Swank told Ed Templeton regarding Toy Machine, "Whatever, just make it rad."
picpic Posted - 02/05/2018 : 07:26:43
They definitely canít put out random stuff as the Pixies. And iím sure Charles must take the otherís opinion into account before putting anything out. Even if he can probably operate a bit more freely now that Kim is gone. Band stuff.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Discoking Posted - 02/05/2018 : 03:30:38
quote:

I totally agree.

I feel like they care too much now or something. Just put stuff out. We will love it even if we pick it apart. We still will love it.

i'm not sure it's caring too much.
my guess is that the release side is completely in the hands of manager type people. and they never just put stuff out.

it's educational
yarbles Posted - 02/05/2018 : 00:26:14
I really love Head Carrier. It's pretty straight forward, but I feel like that's what the band needed at the time.... a place for all 4 members, including Paz as a new full time contributing member, to bring it back to a solid, comfortable stage for them. Indie Cindy was a difficult transitional album, I feel like Head Carrier planted their footing in a way. After seeing them 9 times on the Head Carrier tour I feel like the band is on fire more than they've been at any other point during version 2.0, and I have a feeling album #3 is going to be really special. Here's hoping that they're gearing up to record at this very moment and that they produce some great music over the next few months.
natenate101 Posted - 02/03/2018 : 06:05:44
Listening to HC this morning, and Dave really has to step up his game
In their next release. So vanilla on most of the HC tracks. If he varied his approach up more I think it could elevate some of the songs.

Also, Classic Masher is really freakin solid and Tenement Song could be greater without such repetition in the chorus. Just have Paz's background during the verses saying it, and change up the chorus and it's great. Overall, BF can dig deeper with his songwriting and hopefully he hits a rich vein of form for whatever they are working on next.
Bedbug Posted - 02/03/2018 : 01:35:51
IC is rising in my opinion poll and HC has leveled out.

They are both good and I hope FB makes 20+ more like them
pot Posted - 02/02/2018 : 23:10:07
It's funny how albums that don't grab you at the time can come back and make a better impression on you in hindsight. One day in the future you hear a song on the radio that you initially hated and you find yourself saying to yourself, what is that song again? I think I like(d) that a lot! I can't say I feel the same way about IC or HC though. But this has happened to me with other things. Maybe it will happen to me with Pixies 2.0 music.
billgoodman Posted - 02/02/2018 : 21:52:12
Listened to IC and HC yesterday, suprisingly great records

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Bedbug Posted - 02/02/2018 : 10:10:22
Bagboy is the last (only?) exciting song of 2.0. No other song achieves this level of weirdness and energy and unpredictability. Even my beloved Tenement Song falls short in the energy department.

I still find What Goes Boom unlistenable because of all the garbage compression white noise in it.

The opinions continue to be varied, which was not the case for 1.0 stuff.

Another Toe is not that great, but it can get stuck in your head. I think an easy listening / dentist office version would be cool.
sdon Posted - 02/02/2018 : 07:18:05
I love Bagboy (most innovative pixies track in a long while) and What Goes Boom, and Oona, Baal, All The Saints...

I really hate Another Toe, Women of War, and find Jaime Bravo too "easy", like Talent or All I Think About Now

Gosh, I think I miss Kim Deal :)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
picpic Posted - 02/02/2018 : 01:12:17
quote:
Let the people speak: ďNo more compression!Ē

LTPS: Great sounding record.

quote:
Originally posted by TheScooper
Even Another Toe is cool IF you hear it live, I can't stand the version on IC.)

I don't think you'll hear it live ever again !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 02/01/2018 : 12:45:44
I for one will never get tired of talking about how compression ruined IC for the simple fact that compression ruined IC.

Let the people speak: ďNo more compression!Ē
TheScooper Posted - 02/01/2018 : 11:42:46
I wish whoever did the final mix for WOW had also mastered the last two records.

Would also love to hear more three part harmonies like the one on WOW. As BF ages out of screaming on everything, that could be an interesting direction.

(to the other debate going on ... I LOVE bagboy. Feels totally like the Pixies, yet sounds like nothing they did before. Also love Jamie Bravo, so not sure where that puts me. Even Another Toe is cool IF you hear it live, I can't stand the version on IC.)
Bedbug Posted - 02/01/2018 : 11:05:26
And also itís interesting how so many people like WOW (I realize not everybody) and yet it has Pazís voice prominently.
Bedbug Posted - 02/01/2018 : 10:35:27
quote:

quote:

I also want the new album to have something that IC and HC both sorely lacked:

B-Sides!

Women of War is very cool!

ďHeíll give you conditions!Ē

Just listened to WoW the other day too. Catchy tune. Would be cool if they dropped some loose songs online from time to time. Or BF shares some rough demos like Last Night The Wolves Came Out and Oh Little Cloud.

I totally agree.

I feel like they care too much now or something. Just put stuff out. We will love it even if we pick it apart. We still will love it.
natenate101 Posted - 02/01/2018 : 09:10:20
quote:

B-Sides!

Just listened to WoW the other day too. Catchy tune. Would be cool if they dropped some loose songs online from time to time. Or BF shares some rough demos like Last Night The Wolves Came Out and Oh Little Cloud.
Bedbug Posted - 02/01/2018 : 00:32:02

B-Sides!

picpic Posted - 02/01/2018 : 00:04:25
As BF said, IC was transitional. I like the fact that many tracks have this Trompe-like kind of feel to them (Jaime, Magdalena, Boom, TOE (!)), but it probably "fails" as a Pixies record, whatever that means, on the most experimental tracks (Snail, Snakes). Still a great record IMO. But somehow lacks the strong final cut that HC has. Some songs are just way too long/repetitive.

But the most astonishing fact is probably Pixies fans enjoying Bagboy (ew!) rather than Jaime Bravo. Bravo is classic Pixies guys. C'mon ! And Joey score is great.

And I like Another Toe.

___
"Service Unavailable"
The Holiday Son Posted - 01/31/2018 : 21:49:23
quote:

I just want the next album to be weird

I just want the next album.
I miss Frank's freedom to release an album whenever he felt like it.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2016 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000