-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Painter Man is Coming (Featuring Black Francis)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jake3 Posted - 09/21/2016 : 02:07:18
Something I theorised a few months ago - Black Francis did indeed work with Future of the Left's Julia Ruzicka! He features on her debut solo album (Under the project name of This Becomes Us) on the track 'Painter Man is Coming' which you can listen to here:

https://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/article/listen-to-a-collaboration-between-future-of-the-lefts-julia-ruzicka-and-pixies-black-francis

It's good!!

13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Maharal Posted - 12/16/2017 : 07:55:45
Still great. Thanks for upping. I wonder if it's inspired by Frank Sheeran, the fellow Scorsese is basing his new film The Irishman on.
Meesimo Posted - 12/16/2017 : 07:36:47
Painter Man is great, thanks for posting!
Nice energy, and a refreshingly different feel than IC or HC, both of which I enjoy immensely.
Mclusky and Future of the Left are excellent bands, and wear their Pixies influence well(especially mclusky). The lead singer Falkous' solo side project, Christian Fitness, is cool too, on Bandcamp.

Meesimo
Bedbug Posted - 03/20/2017 : 11:20:20
I think Bagboy is the only risk taken during 2.0, other than the risk of not sounding like 1.0.

Love it all though!
Fitzy Posted - 03/19/2017 : 14:20:13
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

Painter Man sounds post-Pixies musically, somehow more daring than Bagboy with a pinch of TV on the Radio
HC doesn't transcend the Pixies sound (nor the Catholics) or transfigures anything. It is pleasant but tame. Painter Man is BF roaming freely in the urban wilderness

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

Well put. I like most of the new Pixies stuff, but it's not full of surprises. Not a lot of unexpected turns. This 'Painter Man' keeps you guessing. Kind of reminds me of a more rocking 'Virginia Reel'.

Bagboy goes further than these two, though.
Stevio10 Posted - 03/18/2017 : 03:35:14
Listened to this song a few times, don't love it but don't dislike it. Musically sounds a little on the sonic youth spectrum to me.

The song im loving most by BF recently is his Love and Rockets cover All in My Mind

natenate101 Posted - 03/17/2017 : 21:55:34
Guess I must've suffered some unknown brain trauma, because I love this song much more than a chunk of HC tracks. As sdon and Armx3 mentioned above, there is something present in this song that I've been missing from the new Pixies stuff. It must be the lyrics and his vocal delivery, it just works. Listened to it at least 30 times this week.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 03/11/2017 : 09:52:40
quote:
Originally posted by whitefrancis

Anyone who thinks this sounds better than anything on Head Carrier must have been dropped on their head. HC is Pixies and most of you want FB&TC... which is fine but The Catholics aren't half the band the Pixies are.

I think it's less people are hoping for more Fb& the C's or even his solo stuff and more he'll continue releasing high quality songs with that weird "Frank Black" quality, regardless of bandmates.

It's subjective but it seems there's something different with this song than some of the recent Pixies stuff. It's a rock song but with something special, the chord choices, rhythm, vocal melody, whatever that makes it stand out.

On a side note, I think Fb & the C's are underestimated and seen as more like classic rock or missing that Fb spark when I actually think his unique energy permeates those songs, they're actually weirder than they seem at first listen.

But whatever he does, the songs are usually quite catchy, which is quite a feat.

I instantly liked this song, so much it could be one of those I get tired of after a while but for now, this song has a unique vibe that is pleasing in a different way from Indie Cindy and Head-Carrier.

That's my take anyway.

cheers

sdon Posted - 03/10/2017 : 21:27:00
Painter Man sounds post-Pixies musically, somehow more daring than Bagboy with a pinch of TV on the Radio
HC doesn't transcend the Pixies sound (nor the Catholics) or transfigures anything. It is pleasant but tame. Painter Man is BF roaming freely in the urban wilderness

--
whitefrancis Posted - 03/10/2017 : 12:16:57
Anyone who thinks this sounds better than anything on Head Carrier must have been dropped on their head. HC is Pixies and most of you want FB&TC... which is fine but The Catholics aren't half the band the Pixies are.
natenate101 Posted - 09/21/2016 : 16:40:31
Damn, agree that it's better than the HC songs we've heard this far, especially lyrically and vocally.
The Maharal Posted - 09/21/2016 : 12:04:50
Yeah I've been excited about this for months. Really, really like it and agree with sdon.

Some of the bass lines on the last FotL record were fantastic. Was actually gonna start a thread in General Chat on the awesomeness of mclusky and Future of the Left, two incredible bands.
Sprite Posted - 09/21/2016 : 07:58:14
Yep that is indeed great!
sdon Posted - 09/21/2016 : 07:04:52
incredible song
I'm almost sad to admit I find more emotion and creativity in these 3 minutes than in UCL + Talent + Tenement Song together

--

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000