-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 When you think of BF, what do you think?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Maharal Posted - 12/05/2017 : 10:02:31
Just been listening to some R Stevie Moore and his goofiness and wonderful lo-fi pop hooks are an obvious influence on our Charles Thompson. Got me thinking about how some people just associate him with Pixies, seeing him as this screaming maniac and that would be the first thing to come to mind. That's how I used to see him but these days I kind of wonder if that's the 'real' Frank. Like, yes, the screaming and stuff has been a huge element of his music especially in his early years. However, I think the one thing that's been a constant in his music is his quirkiness - those offbeat lyrics and silly little ditties. I think that's possibly his most appealing strength to me - his music is usually a lot of fun. Not even on a proper album, I think it's Virginia Reel that comes to mind these days when I think about him. Just a wonderfully silly song where he praises riding on a city bus - CITY BUS RULES and starts barking like a dog. YES HE IS A GOOD DOG. Fantastic. Think that oddness has been prevalent throughout and I LOVE it.

Build High / NARC / Tony's Theme / Debbie G / Baileys Walk / Trompe le Monde title song
Essentially all of the Orange album but especially Two Spaces and Brackish Boy
Essentially all of Teenager - ball in the machine!
Cult - admittedly a bit less so
Catholics - songs become a bit more straightforward but you still fun gems like Whispering Weeds, Llano, Modern Age, etc.
The Nashville year(s) - Shrimp Song, I'm Not Dead" (I'm in Pittsburgh) (though I realise this is essentially a Reid Paley song), that delightful repeat of "gun to my head, got to keep moving"
Christmass - Demon Girl! Radio Lizards! So much fun.
Bluefinger - Tight Black Rubber!
NSE - Cinema Star, Wild Son, Corrina
The Golem - Makanujo - food will turn inside your bellllaaaah! Astaroth as well.
New Pixies - not so much sadly, all a bit serious and flat besides a few Bag Boy lyrics and Women of War
Those Halloween demos - Last Night The Wolves Came Out and O Little Cloud - glorious stuff.

I have waffled terribly. I am sorry. What's your defining image of Frank music-wise? Also would like to hear everyone's favourite oddity in his music - him barking like a dog is probably mine.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
danjersey Posted - 03/01/2018 : 14:57:31
The B Sides and EPs. Love those EPs
Bedbug Posted - 01/03/2018 : 08:09:21
Obviously this didn't originate with him, but when I think of the man I often think "Anything could be a song."

3 stooges, Wal-Mart, endless other topics.

I wish he would get commissioned to do commercial jingles. I mean that as a compliment, sincerely.
Stevio10 Posted - 12/12/2017 : 05:11:53
the quirkiness is great (love the self titled FB album liner images) and the Jacques Tati is one of the best quirky fun songs.

When I think of Frank Black or Black Francis what stands out most to me is the puzzles within the lyrics.

Acrostics, puzzles, obscure references etc.

It's no doubt all part of the quirkiness but I like the serious quirky stuff, the sci fi of the Robert Onion acrostic spelling out Robert Zubrin. That sort of thing I love.

I'm sure there's a puzzle in St Francis Dam disaster somewhere, coordinates on Mars disguised as the numbers mentioned in the song...or so I hope!

The Maharal Posted - 12/10/2017 : 02:21:20
Haha cheers for that stu, I've been playing that song about four times a day ever since then! Great video too.
stuczuba Posted - 12/06/2017 : 20:05:59
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Big Red ......BF was channeling his inner Neil Young - a nice new way to listen to the song I think. Love Neil but don't think he ever got that silly.

Oh, I dunno - Neil loves a good trolling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a6A6oTFdcw

All the best Charles stuff is wide-eyed teenage wonder with some greal observational comic smarts. The best stuff has just a dash of science in there too.
It was there all the way through 1.0, from Been Tired until Alec Eiffel but it did seem to take a back seat for the Catholics and Nashville stuff. Classic Masher and a few of the 2.0 have it but it's not as prevalent now.
picpic Posted - 12/06/2017 : 07:59:25
More like funny in a trolling way. I don't know. I always viewed him as some genius troll when it comes to lyrics or his character. Trolling the audience. A genius troll merged with a fantastic songwriter. And I think Joey is some kind of troll, too. Trolling people with laughable, yet amazing riffs.

___
"Service Unavailable"
The Maharal Posted - 12/06/2017 : 07:56:44
Oh yeah how could I forget I've Been Tired. That's all fantastic stuff. A lot of COP and Surfer Rosa are pretty silly and goofy, especially when you consider the inclusion of You Fuckin' Die.
Bedbug Posted - 12/06/2017 : 07:35:45
She’s a real left winger

I mean, this is all really funny stuff!
Bedbug Posted - 12/06/2017 : 02:12:23
New Jersey

Always thought he was trying to be funny the way he says it in Vamos
Bedbug Posted - 12/06/2017 : 00:57:38
Fall on your face in those bad shoes

That’s hilarious! Like something from Spinal Tap
picpic Posted - 12/05/2017 : 20:57:40
I don't think Pixies co-members ever understood BF sense of humor ? That's probably one of my favourite of his (many) faces.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 12/05/2017 : 11:11:05
Even something heavy like The Sad Punk makes me smile / laugh because it seems like satire or self parody. “Struck by a bullet and he melted into a fluid named extinction.” Sounds like 7th grade poetry, and I mean that as the highest compliment. It’s brilliant, because it’s silly AND savage (holding back further Lynch comparisons here). I can’t believe Frank meant it to be taken seriously.

“Slicing up eyeballs, uh huh huh huh.”
He’s goofy, everywhere you look.
The Maharal Posted - 12/05/2017 : 10:38:56
Another one:
I play some Pachinko, I play Pachisi
Bedbug Posted - 12/05/2017 : 10:36:47
Terrific post. Let me think about this.
The Maharal Posted - 12/05/2017 : 10:17:57
Big Red is another. Forget what it's about - a UFO or something - but it's just so damn fun. That big bouncy bass, phwoarrr. They got a mule they call Sal. The weather is finally getting warm. Someone on the youtube comments says BF was channeling his inner Neil Young - a nice new way to listen to the song I think. Love Neil but don't think he ever got that silly.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000