-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Notes from the Portland shows 11/29-12/1

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The New Bolero Posted - 12/02/2017 : 10:21:43
Went to all three shows and am happy to say that the band was in great form. Sharp, tight, loud and on point. They played a total of 49 different songs over the three nights.
Standouts/Show-stoppers: Planet of Sound, Broken Face, Isla de Encanta, Rock Music, All The Saints (with that gorgeous Joey solo), Nimrod's Son, Head Carrier, Crackity Jones, U-Mass, Classic Masher, and absolutely Um Chagga Lagga--specifically from last night's show--it was as hard and fierce a rendition as possible.
Wave of Mutilation, Cactus, Gouge Away, Bel Esprit, Crackity Jones, Isla de Encanta, Monkey Gone To Heaven, Hey, Mr Grieves, Caribou, All The Saints, Where Is My Mind?, Vamos, Nimrod's Son, Um Chagga Lagga, Tame, All I Think About Now, Debaser and Ed Is Dead were the songs played at each of the three shows.
They don't seem to have Paz miked up right. Even when her mouth is right up to the mike she's sometimes barely audible.
Looked like Charles almost scrapped La La Love You Thursday night when he couldn't whistle. But persevered and saw it through.
They pulled out Motorway To Roswell on the first night. Seems like a live work in progress and like maybe they're working on the live arrangement. It ended with about a minute long bass solo outro. Was spacy and groovy and I liked it.
Each night had a lone song from Indie Cindy. Magdalena 318 Wednesday, Snakes Thursday, and Silver Snail last night.
That Beatles song "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" that plays as the band takes the stage is an inspired and perfect choice for intro music. Hats off to whomever came up with that ideer.
Some girl gazelled over the barrier in front of the stage late in last night's show and then got on stage. Joe looked spooked, Charles look pissed. Nobody missed a beat but, alas, the show ended shortly thereafter, about 20 minutes earlier than the previous 2 nights. File under: Ruining it for others.
The Orwells are a decent opening act, even if their frontman looks like Harpo Marx on acid. They did not play their "Black Francis" song on either of the two nights I saw them.
Rumor: Talked to a guy from London who says he's heard from someone in the know that Rockfield Studios has been booked for the month of February.
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 12/07/2017 : 09:19:26
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

They should left Ana where it belongs. In the pantheon of ultimate Pixies songs that really don't need a contemporary live version. Those failed harmonies. Ugh.

Joey saves the day (he often used to mess his solo on this one)

___
"Service Unavailable"

I have this foggy memory of when I saw them in the 90s playing Ana just as an instrumental. I may have that wrong.

But nowadays I would much rather hear it as an instrumental live than with the singing as it is in this video. It's such a Pixies song. I'm glad it's still in the rotation.

On an unrelated note the restaurant where I just ate lunch today played WIMM mind over the speakers. It still reminds me of my 80s youth.
picpic Posted - 12/07/2017 : 02:59:53
They should left Ana where it belongs. In the pantheon of ultimate Pixies songs that really don't need a contemporary live version. Those failed harmonies. Ugh.

Joey saves the day (he often used to mess his solo on this one)

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 12/06/2017 : 10:15:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=27s&v=ZihpCUru53U ANA.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Bedbug Posted - 12/06/2017 : 03:44:40
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

[quote]Originally posted by The Maharal

Yeah I don't bother really clicking on any of the Pixies songs anymore unless it's something like Motorway to Roswell or Ana. Playing some R Stevie Moore at the minute - I wonder if BF ever got around to collaborating with him as was the plan.
[/quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aAiPkPR8gI Motorway (Vancouver 2017)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Always a fun watch, thanks Pixie Punk.

At 2:55 I was hoping that was EDF walking out on stage instead of a roadie.

Cool outro also.

Motorway will always be in my top ten Charles songs, but nothing comes close to the studio version in my O.
pixie punk Posted - 12/06/2017 : 02:28:33
[quote]Originally posted by The Maharal

Yeah I don't bother really clicking on any of the Pixies songs anymore unless it's something like Motorway to Roswell or Ana. Playing some R Stevie Moore at the minute - I wonder if BF ever got around to collaborating with him as was the plan.
[/quote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aAiPkPR8gI Motorway (Vancouver 2017)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
The Maharal Posted - 12/05/2017 : 09:28:21
Bedbug Posted - 12/05/2017 : 07:56:39
I ended up clicking.

Enjoyed it.
Bedbug Posted - 12/05/2017 : 07:41:53
There's no way to say this without sounding negative, so I welcome and deserve anyone's derision, but I can never again click on a link that says H.C.Y.M. It's just too much at this point.

I know it's their profession, kind of like a 9-5 thing.

Maybe that should be a topic, what song do you genuinely recognize as a great piece of music but you cannot physically listen to anymore?
pixie punk Posted - 12/05/2017 : 01:06:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJUP97O7S1M H.C.Y.M.,

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
picpic Posted - 12/04/2017 : 03:21:07
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10
Thoughts on Dalgety or Norton? I'd like a Norton album this time round for O Little Cloud alone please.

AFAIK Charles said a while ago he'd like to work with both Dalgety and Norton on his future projects.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Stevio10 Posted - 12/04/2017 : 02:45:11

Rumor: Talked to a guy from London who says he's heard from someone in the know that Rockfield Studios has been booked for the month of February.
[/quote]

Thoughts on Dalgety or Norton? I'd like a Norton album this time round for O Little Cloud alone please.
Bedbug Posted - 12/04/2017 : 02:04:09
I don’t mean to be rough on Paz anymore than on Kim or any of them. The Pixies are about Charles Thompson. Whoever’s playing with him on stage or in studio is just supporting cast. Kim and Paz each have their pluses. I wish the journalists could write about the Pixies without focusing on Kim Deal. They probably don’t understand.
picpic Posted - 12/04/2017 : 01:21:02
Well, Kim has always been an audience darling. You can't erase that I guess.

I don't really miss her, but I think Shattuck vocals were better compared to Paz. And Paz playing is 100% better than Shattuck. Deal had both qualities.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Jason Bravo Posted - 12/03/2017 : 14:17:31
quote:
Originally posted by The New Bolero

https://www.dailyemerald.com/2017/12/02/review-pixies-end-sold-residency-portland-blistering-show/

"Bassist Paz Lenchantin is touring in place of original bassist and vocalist Kim Deal."
Geeezz, I mean she just doesn't get the respect she deserves in my opinion. Not to turn this thread into a "Paz" thread or anything, but it's like she is the Rodney Dangerfield in the music world since joining Pixies. WTF! Kim Deal is/was absolutely great, but not that great if anyone understands what I mean by that.
Jason Bravo Posted - 12/03/2017 : 14:09:27
Man, you all are rough on ole Paz.
The New Bolero Posted - 12/03/2017 : 09:14:43
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

was there no oona or baal's back on any of the three nights?
have these songs been retired?

it's educational

Nope. The only Head Carrier songs played were:
Bel Esprit (3X)
Classic Masher (2X)
Tenement Song (2X)
All The Saints (3X)
Um Chagga Lagga (3X)
All I Think About Now (3X)
Head Carrier (2X)
Discoking Posted - 12/03/2017 : 00:19:02
isn't "you know my name (look up the number)" one of charles' favourite beatles songs?
i think i've read that in an interview somewhere.

was there no oona or baal's back on any of the three nights?
have these songs been retired?

it's educational
picpic Posted - 12/02/2017 : 23:00:19
C’mon’ we all know her vocals are pretty poor. I mean, she’s great on many aspects, but her vocals are often out of key and kind of bland. And she doesn’t sound good on harmonies either. I don’t think the band suddently had mic/mixing problems just when Paz came in.

___
"Service Unavailable"
The New Bolero Posted - 12/02/2017 : 20:52:20
https://www.dailyemerald.com/2017/12/02/review-pixies-end-sold-residency-portland-blistering-show/
The New Bolero Posted - 12/02/2017 : 20:51:46
Yeah the solo song was fine but, unlike her predecessor, I think her voice gets a little buried under the guitars. I noticed it on a lot of the backing vocals and it stood out on the Bel Esprit trade off vocals--talk about loud-quiet-loud. Now just for the record, I was wearing foam earplugs I bought at the bar during each of the shows. Might have had something to do with it.
Jason Bravo Posted - 12/02/2017 : 16:46:00
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Maybe a barely audible Paz is a correctly miked up Paz?

True
___
"Service Unavailable"

Or maybe she has a cold or something affecting her voice currently and it was done on purpose because of that. What about when she did "All I Think About Now?" Personally, I like her voice.
picpic Posted - 12/02/2017 : 11:24:09
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

True

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 12/02/2017 : 11:02:15
Thanks New Bolero for the great notes.

That Roswell outro sounds awesome.
Bedbug Posted - 12/02/2017 : 11:01:25

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000