-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Cult Of Ray release date?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vilainde Posted - 10/26/2017 : 21:56:14
Anyone knows the exact release date of the Cult of Ray (in the US & Europe)? allmusic says Jan. 30th, 1996, wikipedia says Jan. 22nd, and fb.net has both Jan 22nd and 19th... Not sure which is correct and I can't seem to find an official answer.

Denis
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
vilainde Posted - 11/06/2017 : 06:43:26
quote:
Originally posted by hammerhands

Discopedia says 22nd. Music Brainz says 30th. Allmusic says 30th.

In Canada [and Europe], all CD releases used to happen on the same day of the week, Monday. The 22nd was a Monday.

It was Tuesday in the US. Friday in Australia?

I suspect the different dates are from different countries.

It was Tuesday in France as well. So yeah, maybe it was Jan 22 in the UK, and Jan 30 for the US.

Denis
vilainde Posted - 11/06/2017 : 06:39:29
Waaah! I'm going away for a week and you all derail my thread... :)

quote:
Originally posted by benji

I don't know the answer Denis, but curious why it matters?
Just for your own interest?

I wanted to have everything listed accurately on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Black-The-Cult-Of-Ray/release/402029

Denis
Discoking Posted - 11/05/2017 : 02:11:49
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:

First vinyl purchased could possibly been a Pixies flexi-disc I found a 2nd hand store too many years ago to remember. It had a live version of Gouge Away on it. I still have it.

this rings a bell. i think i own this too, but i had completely forgotten about it.
i will look for this later, hopefully find it, and give it a spin.

it's educational

i found three copies of the flexidisc. i wasn't expecting that.

weird flexidisc, plays at 33rpm, but only has gouge away on one side, so there was definitely enough room for a track at 45rpm.
or is that normal for flexidiscs?

the live version of gouge away is the '89 metro, chicago one, which also available on other releases. (e.g. here: https://www.discogs.com/Pixies-Live/master/282902)

it's educational
Stevio10 Posted - 11/04/2017 : 22:43:54
I think you're right with Dragnet. If memory serves me correctly that was the European label that put out The Marsist single (or Men in Black) containing the cover of Kinks Better Things.

I seem to recall buying an import copy from Germany and when copying it to my computer the tracklisting was all wrong.

I suppose back then there were variations of singles, with different versions of Men in Black and I Don't Want to Hurt You.

Edit - it was I Don't Want to Hurt You single, found info here;

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Black-I-Dont-Want-To-Hurt-You-Every-Single-Time/release/1834512

hammerhands Posted - 11/04/2017 : 07:02:17
Discopedia says 22nd. Music Brainz says 30th. Allmusic says 30th.

In Canada [and Europe], all CD releases used to happen on the same day of the week, Monday. The 22nd was a Monday.

It was Tuesday in the US. Friday in Australia?

I suspect the different dates are from different countries.

It was on the American Records label and something else in Europe? Dragnet, I don't remember that. Dragnet was part of Sony, although there was another label by that name. Also Epic [Sony] seems to have put the disc out as well, or maybe that was the same as Dragenet.

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/07/10/421483599/goodbye-music-tuesday-starting-today-albums-come-out-on-friday

Do you remember there was a big book with all the CD and LP releases called Musidex or something?

The best solution would be to find a press release.

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=441434
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=449708
Frankus Blackus Maximus
Discoking Posted - 11/02/2017 : 03:58:34
quote:

First vinyl purchased could possibly been a Pixies flexi-disc I found a 2nd hand store too many years ago to remember. It had a live version of Gouge Away on it. I still have it.

this rings a bell. i think i own this too, but i had completely forgotten about it.
i will look for this later, hopefully find it, and give it a spin.

it's educational
Bedbug Posted - 11/01/2017 : 04:24:40
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

"You Aint' Me" losing to "Bagboy" ?

You Ain't Me would easily win against any 2.0 tracks only for the "I'm the guy from Wonderland" part.

As for Jesus Was Right, the live version beats anything from 2.0, too.

But nice comparison anyway.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I hear you picpic. I debated that one in my mind for a while, ultimately picked bagboy because I wish the whole IC album sounded more like it.

Think about the fact that you can pick You Ain't Me, an obscure FB song from a fairly reviled solo album of his, over bagboy, the big comeback song from the legendary "Pixies." That says it all right there.

And I hear you too on Jesus Was Right. That song really rocks, and the live versions are all awesome. Would you rather hear him play that in 2017 or Wave of Mutilation for the millionth time?

Our grandchildren will be listening to Cult of Ray more than Doolittle.
picpic Posted - 10/31/2017 : 12:31:17
"You Aint' Me" losing to "Bagboy" ?

You Ain't Me would easily win against any 2.0 tracks only for the "I'm the guy from Wonderland" part.

As for Jesus Was Right, the live version beats anything from 2.0, too.

But nice comparison anyway.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 10/31/2017 : 07:18:32
I would totally choose Cult of Ray as being a better album than Indie Cindy, but just doing a quick song by song comparison I see that Cindy wins a few

The Marsist..........Franks wants to touch the face, but then he sings about Grace on.........What Goes Boom.............Winner Ray

Men in Black..........song about outer space guys like the outer space guys on..........Green and Blues...........Winner Ray

Punk Rock City..........singing about punks like I imagine is true of this girl named..........Indie Cindy........I'll call this a tie

You Ain't Me.........possibly something to do with Kim Deal who possibly sings on.........Bagboy.........Winner Cindy

Jesus Was Right............and Jesus was associated with Mary..........Magdelena...........I'm gonna call this a tie too

I Don't Want to Hurt You Every Single Time.........like could happen with the gun or suicides of........Silver Snail..........Winner Ray

Mosh Don't Pass the Guy........ I got nothing here........Blue Eyed Hexe........Maybe this is a tie too, depending on the mood

Kicked in the Taco..........is less painful than listening to.........Ring the Bell..........Winner Ray

The Creature Crawling..........probably from the same ocean as..........Another Toe...........Winner Ray

The Adventure and the Resolution..........outer space theme for?........Andro Queen........... Winner Ray

Dance War......Again, I got nothing here other than the pit could be full of......Snakes........Giving it to Ray

Cult of Ray...........Bradbury way more interesting than........Jaime Bravo.......Winner Ray

The Last Stand of Shazeb Andleeb.........tragic story, why can't there be peace as in..........Women of War........Love them both, but giving it to Cindy

Ray with 8 to Cindy's 2, and 3 ties

Hope everyone has a safe and fun Halloween
Bedbug Posted - 10/31/2017 : 06:41:13
Not knowing the exact release date adds to the mystique of the album

stuczuba Posted - 10/31/2017 : 00:49:53
Weird to remember it now but his star had fallen pretty low by Pixies standards as this point. I saw him once touring TOTY and loved it but the reviews weren't great. We missed him touring in '96 just heard him in the distance cos he was on really early, first day at Phoenix Festival and we were took ages to get in cos of miles of tailbacks. Didn't get back into him until BLD.
Carl Posted - 10/29/2017 : 09:20:30
First time I saw Frank live was in '96, on a cold, January night (he actually came on at midnight, if I remember correctly) at the Olympia Theatre here in Dublin.
benji Posted - 10/28/2017 : 23:41:47
Fun game...
First cassette was Love Over Gold by Dire Straits.
First vinyl was actually a lot later as I just listened to my brothers vinyl mostly through the 80 and early 90's.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
danjersey Posted - 10/28/2017 : 19:21:32
The first CD I bought was Alice in Chains Facelift. First cassette purchase Men at Work, Business as Usual. First vinyl, Rolling Stones Hot Rocks.
Bedbug Posted - 10/27/2017 : 14:52:12
I bought TOTY in 94 on cassette and then didn’t listen to anything from FBF until 2008 when I bought COR on CD.

I took a bit of a hiatus.

Did anyone else hang the poster on the back of the COR disc insert? I had mine in bathroom from 2010 to 2014.
hammerhands Posted - 10/27/2017 : 11:19:01
The first CD I bought was Surfer Rosa/Come On Pilgrim, about a year before I bought CD player.
benji Posted - 10/27/2017 : 09:41:01
I don't know the answer Denis, but curious why it matters?
Just for your own interest?

As an aside, it was the first cd I ever bought. Technology at it's best - no more tapes for me!

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000