-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Revisiting Grand Duchy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pot Posted - 04/13/2017 : 16:15:37
Decided to give Petit Fours another spin the other day, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I seem to like it more now in the light of absent length.

I felt that when I originally entered into the contract with them when I ordered the CD from my local record store that I should lower my expectations a little.

It arrived, and I liked it. But I was left disappointed slightly that the rest of the album wasn't as good as Fort Wayne. That was it. It still wasn't the Pixies.

However, I think it has a lot more of the experimental edge that the original Pixies had than the new PIxies reboot currently has, pour example le song Ma Carrefour and Beg, I think. It's certainly got more of a lo-fi garage sound to it than...

The new Pixies album was more formed than Indy Cindy, but it just gets tiring.

You go away and come back and it just doesn't have the same sound it had before, it's boring. New listen doesn't cut it any favours. But Petit Fours has a new sound. Same with the Bluefinger era stuff, it's just more edgy.

That's all I can be bothered saying about it.
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 09/12/2017 : 05:56:04
I like Violet but never was able to get into her vocals/lyrics. That said, it's been a while, maybe I should spin it again.

And I tend to think that tarnishing a legacy by creating new work is a bit of an impossibility (good call referencing the Star Wars prequels, although I think that universe is a better place for all the new John Williams music that came from them, the amazing last-30-minute fight sequence in Phantom Menace, and most of Revenge of the Sith). The past is the past and while you might have people saying you lost your touch, I don't think you can take away from what was done.

That said, I have zero problems with the current Pixies lineup and personally think Kim was probably best let go rather than dragged along reluctantly. Respect to her for sticking to her guns but I also respect the guys for getting it done if it was what they wanted.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
The Maharal Posted - 09/09/2017 : 03:07:52
I would have loved the new Pixies songs to have been a bit more daring. I was dreaming for years of how modern day BF would churn out some badass Bluefinger-esque stuff with Joey and co. I still enjoyed hearing new Pixies stuff but yeah minus four or five songs it wasn't really on the same level. I would say I listen to Fast Man Raider Man more than I do the newer Pixies albums (maybe I'm getting old).

Also that Golem album was the real deal! Love the Maharal obviously. I reckon it's an underrated songs as are three or four others on there which I'd be tempted to include on a sprawling three-disc best-of FB / BF disc (an idea for a thread haha).
Bedbug Posted - 09/09/2017 : 02:23:53
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I think she was well behind the four or five song EP (with Bag Boy, Ring the Bell, Indie Cindy, etc.) but then when BF and Joey seemed to push extending that into a full length she got a bit anxious and left. (That, said, maybe they played her Jaime Brave and she was like "feck this!")

I dunno if I agree with your Lynch analogy in the other thread - I'm glad Pixies gave it another shot. It wasn't perfect but BF did whatever he felt like doing and if it tarnishes the legacy then screw it. It doesn't really matter. First run of albums still great regardless of the patchiness of IC or HC.

I don't know about anyone else on the forum, but every time I see a new post from The Maharal, I sing, "Ah am the Maaa - Ha - Ral." What a great song from a great, great album.

Anyway, re: Kim, of course there were a lot of things that went into her leaving, as is the case with any divorce. I can't pretend like I know any more than what's been reported over the years, and who even knows how accurate all those reports are. Having said that, your point re: Jaime Bravo is exactly my point. "Ok guys, here's one of our new songs, it goes like this..." "Uh, excuse me while I go to the ladies room and crawl out the window."

And as to your second paragraph: Is the Star Wars trilogy tainted by the prequels? Sometimes I say yes and sometimes I say no. But sure, I'm glad Lucas gave it a go. I just wish he would have done a better job with the one and only chance he had. Lucas and FBF did not kill it the way Lynch did.
The Maharal Posted - 09/08/2017 : 08:31:03
I think she was well behind the four or five song EP (with Bag Boy, Ring the Bell, Indie Cindy, etc.) but then when BF and Joey seemed to push extending that into a full length she got a bit anxious and left. (That, said, maybe they played her Jaime Brave and she was like "feck this!")

I dunno if I agree with your Lynch analogy in the other thread - I'm glad Pixies gave it another shot. It wasn't perfect but BF did whatever he felt like doing and if it tarnishes the legacy then screw it. It doesn't really matter. First run of albums still great regardless of the patchiness of IC or HC.
Bedbug Posted - 09/08/2017 : 05:31:46
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I think a lot of the Duchy material is superior to a lot of the 2.0 material. I wonder if Frank felt more inspired during this time.

Agree and agree.

Annie Bliss is great, too. Sounds a bit like Pink Floyd.

Violet Clarke is credited as a composer btw. I guess her input inspired FB and vice versa. http://www.allmusic.com/album/let-the-people-speak-mw0002294837/credits.

___
"Service Unavailable"

None of us probably want to admit it, but for all we know Kim quit the band just because she thought the new songs were lame.
picpic Posted - 09/08/2017 : 01:36:51
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I think a lot of the Duchy material is superior to a lot of the 2.0 material. I wonder if Frank felt more inspired during this time.

Agree and agree.

Annie Bliss is great, too. Sounds a bit like Pink Floyd.

Violet Clarke is credited as a composer btw. I guess her input inspired FB and vice versa. http://www.allmusic.com/album/let-the-people-speak-mw0002294837/credits.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 09/05/2017 : 01:37:39
The Maharal Posted - 08/28/2017 : 02:03:14
Yeah I really like John Frum after hearing people praise it so much. Plus it's an interesting story. The newish Werner Herzog documentary gives it a little mention.
Bedbug Posted - 08/25/2017 : 02:05:50
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

I forgot about Come on Over to my House. Great opener.

I think Let the People Speak is the only BF album I haven't listened to in entirety, nor have much intention of doing, after hearing one or two tracks and being put off by the godawful radio commentary stuff.

But "John Frum", you gotta be into that at least, right?
Bedbug Posted - 08/25/2017 : 02:03:47
Great album, getting better with age.

Black Suit is brilliant. Imagine it playing over the Spider-Man 3 soundtrack! Maybe if they do a Venom movie...
The Maharal Posted - 08/24/2017 : 10:24:11
Have put on PF for the first time in years. That COOTMH opener - phwoar. Classic Frank. Great sleazy lyrics.

Forgot how much of a rip off of the Rolling Stones the Love Sick riff is (still a pretty good song). Also, I guess Dog in the Sand is very much a tribute to the Stones anyway. Seeing Stars is fairly throwaway. Black Suit brilliant. I do chuckle at an old friend's criticism of Frank's singing though: "it's like he's got a towel down his throat". Long Song is ok. Break the Angels pleasant. Ermesinde brilliant. And the road goes on forever. Top Frank. Volcano fun.
The Maharal Posted - 05/06/2017 : 11:13:27
I forgot about Come on Over to my House. Great opener.

I think Let the People Speak is the only BF album I haven't listened to in entirety, nor have much intention of doing, after hearing one or two tracks and being put off by the godawful radio commentary stuff.
benji Posted - 05/05/2017 : 18:25:36
Here you go.
https://mega.nz/#!154ihKLb!xYxGt-v93dHqxSwC8GtlAVfiZ1xBkQHE6roBImbZIQA
I haven't listened to it yet, so cannot comment on quality or anything.
Enjoy.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
picpic Posted - 05/05/2017 : 12:27:44
Thanks a zillion times man ! I really appreciate !

___
"Service Unavailable"
benji Posted - 05/05/2017 : 10:54:30
I'll mega it for picpic anyways but it won't be for a few hours......

Discoking Posted - 05/04/2017 : 23:02:01
ah, cool. thanks for the heads-up!

if you mega it, i'll download it from mega.
otherwise i could also get it directly from dime.

it's educational
picpic Posted - 05/04/2017 : 20:52:30
I'm interested ! Thanks

Have they ever performed "Let the people speak" onstage ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
benji Posted - 05/04/2017 : 20:35:16
A live recording was posted to dimeadozen.org today. It's a reseed, so I'm sure I already have it, but if I mega it if there's any interest.
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=591017
GRAND DUCHY
LOS ANGELES, CA @ SPACELAND
2009-12-07

AT943 -> SP-SPSB-6 -> R-09HR -> USB -> Soundforge -> FLAC

01. -intro-
02. Come On Over To My House
03. Fort Wayne
04. I Bleed
05. I Can't Understand You When You Cry
06. Seeing Stars
07. Threshold Apprehension
08. The Long Song
09. Ma Carrefour
10. Break The Angels
11. Black Suit

Band:
Black Francis: Vocals, Guitar
Violet Clark: Vocals, Bass, Keyboard
Jason Carter: Drums
(and more)

pot Posted - 04/20/2017 : 06:51:04
Bummer about not knowing FB was busking round the corner.

I'm sure GD will make something else, but as you say all Charles' efforts will be going in to the Pixies now.

How old is their eldest now? Is it Julian that's the oldest one? Maybe well see some music from them soon.
Stevio10 Posted - 04/20/2017 : 06:19:50
quote:
Originally posted by pot

I was at Glasgow 90-95. The Breeders played the QM when I was there supporting Nirvana, and i didn't go.

One of the last things I remember of Glasgow Uni is sitting up by the uni buildings overlooking the Kelvingrove drinking beers on a warm summer night after I'd graduated.

I see they are playing two nights there. I'll definitely try and come along and find a spot outside to listen, but not sure what the police approach will be. Someone organised a summer party in there a few years back facebook or something and the police came along and shut it down. No doubt there will be a lot of folk coming along to hang about outside for that, so not sure what they'll do. They might barrier off sections of the park around the bandstand.

I'll certainly stop by the Biko bar (now called Jim's bar I think) in the QM for a pint of Beck's though on the way. They probably sell 4% beck's lager now instead to encourage more sensible drinking.

Any plans for another GD album then? What's Jason Carter up to these days? I think they should get him to produce the next Pixies album, if there is to be one, he'd nail it.

Cool, i was working in Curlers on Byres Road when FB was busking on Ashton Lane, to this day it bugs me i didn't know at the time!

Going to the Tuesday show, pricey but I've heard the bandstand is decent for a gig.

BF said GD were recording again in '14, statement at the time; i guess the Pixies schedule has put it on the back burner

Grand Duchy has also officially begun to record again. We have been making audio files, but the boheme in us feels that the process ultimately will lead us into video art, just like marijuana leads to heroin, as Tom Waits once sang.
McDutchie Posted - 04/20/2017 : 04:06:58
Violet Clark also has a rather nice solo album out called "Killjoy".
picpic Posted - 04/19/2017 : 22:31:41
Violet Clark backing/lead vocals are great. Far, far better than the latest Pixies backing vocalist.

___
"Service Unavailable"
pot Posted - 04/14/2017 : 23:24:06
I was at Glasgow 90-95. The Breeders played the QM when I was there supporting Nirvana, and i didn't go.

One of the last things I remember of Glasgow Uni is sitting up by the uni buildings overlooking the Kelvingrove drinking beers on a warm summer night after I'd graduated.

I see they are playing two nights there. I'll definitely try and come along and find a spot outside to listen, but not sure what the police approach will be. Someone organised a summer party in there a few years back facebook or something and the police came along and shut it down. No doubt there will be a lot of folk coming along to hang about outside for that, so not sure what they'll do. They might barrier off sections of the park around the bandstand.

I'll certainly stop by the Biko bar (now called Jim's bar I think) in the QM for a pint of Beck's though on the way. They probably sell 4% beck's lager now instead to encourage more sensible drinking.

Any plans for another GD album then? What's Jason Carter up to these days? I think they should get him to produce the next Pixies album, if there is to be one, he'd nail it.

Stevio10 Posted - 04/14/2017 : 11:26:05
Fort Wayne and The Long Song are my favourites. Petit Fours in particular has better bass lines than anything Pixies have done recently in my opinion.

When you go to Glasgow Uni pot? I'm guessing around 1990 with the SECC gig? I lived on University Avenue from '01-05 - going to the gig at the Bandstand even though i swore last year's gig at the Barras would do me another 5-10 years.

Although seeing FB for first time with the Catholics at King Tut's in '01 is still my favourite gig. Miracle Legion '16 a close second.

Bedbug Posted - 04/14/2017 : 08:40:22
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Let The People Speak is on my daily playlist. Really catchy songs.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Yeah dude, John Frum is one of the best things the man has ever done.
picpic Posted - 04/14/2017 : 07:17:47
Let The People Speak is on my daily playlist. Really catchy songs.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 04/14/2017 : 06:11:59
I'm with you on the revisiting theme. HC made me revisit IC (still don't love it).

And I regretfully agree with you re: the relistenabilty of HC. I'm pretty sure I've listened to Trompe way more since HC came out than I've listened to HC itself.

And there is plenty of Duchy stuff that is better than anything 2.0. Would love to hear the four of them play Ft Wayne or Black Suit.
pot Posted - 04/13/2017 : 16:20:06
Oh yeah, and Pixies are playing my University in Glasgow! Not really, but you can go and sit and look over Kelvingrove park and listen to them, as opposed to paying a lot of money for a ticket. I hope anyway. My niece is studying there, but she's probably not going to go. She asked me once what my favourite band was and I told her the Pixies, but she probably wont remember because she looked a bit like a little pixie herself then. I want her to go because the Pixies played Glasgow on the last day of my first year there, it was amazing. All three songs.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000