-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 Quarry

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pot Posted - 11/08/2016 : 09:50:47
Anyone watch the the new Cinemax series?

It's just finished. 8 episodes, long ones.

I'm a little bit blown away by it, it's not readily accessible or all tits and cock fights like Banshee, it's something a bit deeper and more art house.

And it's set in 1972, the year I was born which makes it a little bit extra spesh for me.

About a Vietnam soldier, comes back home to Memphis amidst controversy and split opinions about the war, add a little ptsd and Peter Mullan as The Broker and something about the CIA and MK-Ultra?

Don't want to give away spoilers about the plot, but the whole thing is very well made and has some amazing cinematography and music. They go real black/hippie culture and not only have old 70's soul, folk, motown and all that but feature real live bands from today in the show playing this style of music in the background.

Lot's of vinyl appreciation and some real cool characters. Peter Mullan's American accent is pretty bad but he gets away with it, he turns out to be a good character in the end with some loose parallels with another character he played 20 years ago.

It's a watcher againer this one, I'm on my second run. It's not often I do that with TV series.

Can't wait for more, if there is going to be. If there isn't any then it will stand alone well as a one off loooong film kind of thing.

Cool as fuck.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pot Posted - 07/18/2017 : 12:26:58
I thought Mullan's accent was slightly dodgy, but overall the casting of him into the part was interesting. cf. Trainspotting. I'll say no more so as not to give out spoilers.

I liked all the characters in it, but I have to say the black dude in it was about the coolest black dude ever. Even cooler than Huggie Bear.

I'm not really a big fan of novels, but I have enjoyed reading some in my life time. I might give the novel series it's based on a go, and imagine it in my head like the TV series.
Stevio10 Posted - 07/17/2017 : 23:59:02
Terrible it's been cancelled - really enjoyed it. Peter Mullan was/is great.
pot Posted - 07/17/2017 : 12:10:56
Cancelled apparently.

What a shame. The TV company want to focus more on trash.

The last episode was a real cinematic treasure.

It now stands alone, on it's own as a long art film.
pot Posted - 11/11/2016 : 16:14:02
Give it a chance Benji, it's slow burner.

Ash v Evil Dead - it was nice to see this return but I got a bit bored after a few episodes and tuned out. It's never going to be the same. Like watching Scooby Doo.
benji Posted - 11/11/2016 : 11:10:08
I watched the first episode of quarry but I don't think I'll bother watching anybothers. It seemed like a recent show but just didn't grab my attention sufficiently to keep watching.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Carl Posted - 11/11/2016 : 09:28:12
I just can't get into all these series, although I watched the first series of Ash vs Evil Dead and am on Gotham season 3 now... I know, lame.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000