-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Pixies on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pixie punk Posted - 05/26/2017 : 01:44:30
http://shockwavemagazine.com/pixies-late-show-w-stephen-colbert/ Tonight!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 06/02/2017 : 20:17:20
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I can't stop listening to this performance. It's almost too good to be true. It really rocks. I still can't explain why I'm hearing some double-tracking, but well, whatever. Maybe the voice & guitar FX give this impression. The result is great however. Most enjoyable thing since 2.0 so far for me. Will be bookmarked & heavily watched from now.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Agreed

They actually sound like the Pixies here.

I still think Tenement is the best 2.0 song of all
Carl Posted - 06/02/2017 : 18:26:25
Nice to see them on telly again!
picpic Posted - 06/02/2017 : 10:01:35
I can't stop listening to this performance. It's almost too good to be true. It really rocks. I still can't explain why I'm hearing some double-tracking, but well, whatever. Maybe the voice & guitar FX give this impression. The result is great however. Most enjoyable thing since 2.0 so far for me. Will be bookmarked & heavily watched from now.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 06/01/2017 : 05:54:34
quote:

Well, for me, anything new on a Pixies setlist would be considered a good move.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Indeed
picpic Posted - 06/01/2017 : 05:00:24
Well, for me, anything new on a Pixies setlist would be considered a good move.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Discoking Posted - 06/01/2017 : 04:24:07
depends how you look at it. could also be considered a good move.

it's educational
picpic Posted - 06/01/2017 : 03:46:52
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug
I don't disagree. It would be fun to hear her tackle Gigantic.

That would be a no-no for all the basic "No Kim, no Deal" Pixies fans. 90% of the audience. Bad move.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 05/30/2017 : 08:24:27
quote:

quote:
Paz still sounds a little bad (not in a non-Kim way, just in her own way), but I'm starting to like bad Paz more.

Compared to all the previous shows I've heard so far, she sounds incredible here. Like 150% better.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I don't disagree. It would be fun to hear her tackle Gigantic.
picpic Posted - 05/29/2017 : 07:23:33
quote:
Paz still sounds a little bad (not in a non-Kim way, just in her own way), but I'm starting to like bad Paz more.

Compared to all the previous shows I've heard so far, she sounds incredible here. Like 150% better.

___
"Service Unavailable"
The Champ Posted - 05/29/2017 : 06:50:26
They sound good here. They are finally coming together as a "band".
Bedbug Posted - 05/29/2017 : 04:11:02
Glad that they did Tenement Song, my favorite from 2.0.

Discoking Posted - 05/29/2017 : 03:19:24
there's a boston soundboard tape? of which night? and where can it be found?
thanks!

EDIT: never mind. i now saw it mentioned in the other thread.

it's educational
picpic Posted - 05/28/2017 : 13:34:26
I was a bit surprised because their latest TV moments didn't sounded as good (Bel Esprit on Conan or What Goes Boom/Wave on Jools Holland for example). This one sounds WAY better and I was wondering why. Not that I'm being skeptical, but just for the trivia.

___
"Service Unavailable"
peter radiator Posted - 05/28/2017 : 08:35:16
quote:

I'm kind of hearing additional vocals done in post-prod. You know, like on those Pixies Live at the Pixies BBC sessions where you can obviously hear that some vocals / instruments had been double-tracked. Opinion ?

___
"Service Unavailable"

My opinion is that playing on a soundstage of this sort in front of a whisper-quiet audience is the closet thing to a live-in-the-recording studio performance you will find.

The performers have time for an extended soundcheck and rehearsal before the crowd shows up, to make sure their tones and monitors are dialed in.

Generally, except for having to warm up and perform great for just one song as opposed to the arc of an entire show, they can focus on crafting a nuanced version of the song at hand.

Of course there is some sort of signal processing, reverb, etc..., being used on all the vocals to sweeten them a bit. That's been a standard practice for decades.

But listen to the Boston soundboard tape from a few nights before. Even just a few feet in front of a raucous and rowdy club crowd, Paz sings great and hits most if not all the tricky high harmonies.

In Colbert's silent room, she basically nails it, and FBF is free to coo and sing without having to reflexively bellow over the crowd's roar.

What you hear on the CBS broadcast is not post-production embellishment. It's just well-recorded talent.

It's also worth noting that the phrase "Live at the BBC" ceased being used to denote a live "concert" performance fairly early into the long life of that series of sessions.

It is my understanding that it was not an uncommon occurrence for the groups that did those Live at the Beeb shows to augment their recordings with overdubs (if they wished).

They only had to make sure they were able to complete the tasks in the allotted amount of time - which is why many simply opted to cut completely live takes, rather than risk getting bogged down and winding up with an unfinished recording.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
picpic Posted - 05/28/2017 : 00:35:55
I'm kind of hearing additional vocals done in post-prod. You know, like on those Pixies Live at the Pixies BBC sessions where you can obviously hear that some vocals / instruments had been double-tracked. Opinion ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
peter radiator Posted - 05/27/2017 : 09:13:58
Methinks they killed it.

I dug how all three guys "donned the jacket."

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
picpic Posted - 05/27/2017 : 07:05:24
Great backing vocals then. Best performance of this song I've heard so far.

And nice "oooh-oooohs" by Dave.

___
"Service Unavailable"
hammerhands Posted - 05/27/2017 : 06:27:07
I don't hear any digital trails?

I'm guessing they worked out her monitoring.
picpic Posted - 05/27/2017 : 00:59:41
is Paz voice autotuned ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
picpic Posted - 05/26/2017 : 22:02:40
Found

Tenement Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzcSqoLwU6I

___
"Service Unavailable"
picpic Posted - 05/26/2017 : 21:29:28
Any video yet ?