-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 4/27/2017 Pixies Live on T.V. Conan.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pixie punk Posted - 04/11/2017 : 09:27:17
http://www.sidestagemagazine.com/pixies-guest-conan-42717/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
picpic Posted - 05/01/2017 : 20:46:03
That was my little tribute to Shattuck. I find a bit unfair that we seem to forget she also did a great job joining the Pixies. Learning all the songs and stuff. And was sacked in a pretty rough way to say the least.

___
"Service Unavailable"
peter radiator Posted - 05/01/2017 : 12:08:15
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Remember the gigs with Shattuck ? She sounded way better (vocally) and yet they lowered her vocals on stage. I wonder why Paz vocals are back in the mix. Now we have out-of-tune Joey guitar (which is great btw), and out-of-tune backing vocals. It's a bit difficult to hear, to my ears at least. Maybe you can't hear that from the audience. Maybe I'm just a boring guy that should go to their gigs instead of complainig on a message board. Maybe !

___
"Service Unavailable"

Well, Shattuck had been a lead vocalist for years and made plenty of records in that capacity. So, her pipes were more powerful and she also sounded more confident.

However, her natural mode of vocal delivery was more snotty and "punk," whereas Paz's is more (stereotypically) feminine and "sing-song-y," which I believe is what the Pixies "formula" requires - at least on the older, established material.

I have a feeling they had Shattuck's vocals somewhat buried because A) they were not sold on her more husky and aggressive delivery, and B) they were still feeling a bit weird about putting ANYONE out there as a "replacement" for Deal, yet they had to have a bassist, and wanted a female one.

They are comfortable with Paz, obviously, and her natural vocal mannerisms are closer to Deal's to boot, so it's not as much of a stretch for her to mesh with the established mood of the band or to harmonize/complement FBF's voice.

Just my .02, for whatever it may be worth.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
picpic Posted - 05/01/2017 : 11:54:36
Remember the gigs with Shattuck ? She sounded way better (vocally) and yet they lowered her vocals on stage. I wonder why Paz vocals are back in the mix. Now we have out-of-tune Joey guitar (which is great btw), and out-of-tune backing vocals. It's a bit difficult to hear, to my ears at least. Maybe you can't hear that from the audience. Maybe I'm just a boring guy that should go to their gigs instead of complainig on a message board. Maybe !

___
"Service Unavailable"
peter radiator Posted - 05/01/2017 : 11:04:21
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator
Paz sang wonderfully on this performance.

I'm a big defender of Pixies 2.0, but this assertion is somewhat excessive.
___
"Service Unavailable"

hahahahahahahaha

Maybe!

Then again, when determining whether anyone sang something "wonderfully," I merely ask myself if it would have sounded better had I been the one singing instead.

That was/is my criteria in this case.

Am I kidding?

Maybe!

--

Bedbug Posted - 05/01/2017 : 06:32:33
The YouTube comments are to be expected, and I doubt anyone out there would argue 2.0 > 1.0.

It is what it is.

It's still always great to see the man in action, whoever happens to be accompanying him.
picpic Posted - 05/01/2017 : 00:12:49
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator
Paz sang wonderfully on this performance.

I'm a big defender of Pixies 2.0, but this assertion is somewhat excessive.

___
"Service Unavailable"
peter radiator Posted - 04/30/2017 : 16:03:00
The bands sounds very tight these days.

Joey looked fine (if a bit thin) and played great. Much more sure of himself and solid than the last few weeks preceding his hiatus.

Not sure why anyone would be concerned for him at this stage of things. His new stage wardrobe is sweet! If he still had a full head of hair he looks like he'd be carrying a switchblade comb.

FBF and Paz have started playing around a bit with the cadence of the lyrical melodies, which is always a plus for me.

Paz sang wonderfully on this performance. Truth be told, FBF was the one who was a bit pitchy (just on that one line near the end of the song).

Any vocal deficits or limitations (no matter how slight or inconsequential) are always exaggerated by the overly dry and raw audio mixes bands tend to suffer with on live TV shows - even high-end ones like Conan's.

Paz's voice is never going to sound like Kim's, as they are different humans, and people should just accept that.

I would not want her to try to impersonate Kim's vocal mannerisms and timbre, even if she were adept at doing so.

She's hitting most of the notes in the old songs and doing her own thing in the new ones. As it should be.

--

Jason Bravo Posted - 04/30/2017 : 10:02:18
I know this may sound a little crazy, but I think if Paz was a smoker her voice would be almost to the tea of Kim Deal's. A little more raspy/high pitched sound would be in the pocket.
picpic Posted - 04/30/2017 : 00:05:16
I'd say both... she improved a bit since she joined the band, but that's still isn't very good...

___
"Service Unavailable"
Active Duck Posted - 04/29/2017 : 23:10:10
Paz is undeniably awesome but I find it hard to argue with the youtube commenters saying that the vocals don't sound great here.

Is she singing off key or does her voice just not gel well with BF's at times?
picpic Posted - 04/29/2017 : 15:43:39
I'm not trying to convert anyone to what I enjoy, so I can't answer.

There are some pretty neat things on Head Carrier and Indie Cindy. Some beautiful songs. Even if Bel Esprit is not my favourite, and I never liked Paz voice, I still enjoy the performance.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 04/29/2017 : 15:07:33
If you were trying to introduce your friend to the Pixies would you show her / him this video?
picpic Posted - 04/29/2017 : 13:34:06
Youtube comments are scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs729ipfx-A

Looks like the public will never get over the K.D. thing.

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 04/29/2017 : 13:09:15
Joey was great,loved the effects on the second half of the song.Always finding the sweet spot onstage and following Charles performance and feeling the power of Dave and Paz.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
picpic Posted - 04/29/2017 : 12:36:45
What are your impressions ?

I like the song choice for the show.

A bit concerned for Joey. I hope he's doing OK. He's been through hard times obviously. Kudos to him.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 04/28/2017 : 16:59:56
:-/
picpic Posted - 04/28/2017 : 04:34:22
Nice. Joey is wearing nail polish, right ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 04/28/2017 : 02:15:25
http://www.vanyaland.com/2017/04/28/carrier-on-watch-pixies-roll-through-bel-esprit-last-night-on-conan/ Here it is :)

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
picpic Posted - 04/28/2017 : 02:05:09
Is the video available somewhere ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 04/27/2017 : 12:08:52
TONIGHT!!!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
picpic Posted - 04/12/2017 : 02:02:46
Cool. First TV appearance for the new abum if i'm not mistaken. Performing Bel Esprit, interesting.

___
"Service Unavailable"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000