-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 Pere Ubu

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
paintmeister Posted - 06/22/2004 : 19:42:41
Cast your vote. I want to know which album I should buy first. I've never heard any of their songs and I am ready to check them out. Any help would be, uh, helpful.
31   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Maharal Posted - 01/09/2017 : 13:13:37
Ah cheers for that. The clarification above seems pretty fair. More of a criticism of gender norms than anything.
TarTar Posted - 12/29/2016 : 14:59:05
The AV Club asked about the "Women of rock" comments in a 1998 interview:

O: I remember listening to an interview with you and Dave Thomas [of Pere Ubu] from 1993, and one of the most interesting moments on there was when the two of you decided that most women shouldn't bother with rock. Has anything changed your mind since then? Because it wasn't clear if the comment was tongue-in-cheek or not.

FB: I guess that's a pretty nasty thing to say. We may have been reacting in part to the phenomenon of diary-rock, or whatever: really shitty female vocalists who can't write songs, who are basically skating by on the fact that they have breasts and they sing like babies. [Makes sing-song noise.] There's definitely a large percentage of... The dumber half of the audience—whether they're male or female, and a lot of them are male—for some reason responds very quickly to the feminine voice. How can I put it? They kind of instantly react to the female voice in a positive way quicker than they would the male voice. It's almost like a lot of female singers in the rock world get away with a hell of a lot more. I hate to divide things along male and female lines. A lot of it has to do with sexuality as it is portrayed in pop culture. Just go to the movies or turn on the TV for five seconds, and you're going to see a male-dominated world pushing female sexuality in this really kind of cheesy way, and that affects rock music. In that interview, and I've probably said something similar to that in other interviews, it's probably just a reaction to, you know, "Women In Rock!" And I don't mean good women in rock. I don't mean Chrissie Hynde, or Dinah Washington, or Joan Armatrading, or whatever. But since the rise of MTV, there's been this whole flock of shitty female vocalists. There are plenty more male vocalists who are just as shitty. But this particular group of shitty singers has been given a certain distinction mostly because they're female. You know, "Hey wow! Women in rock! They're back, they're here, they're going to get theirs, too!" It's just cheesy marketing. There are plenty of women who can rock out, too.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
TarTar Posted - 12/29/2016 : 14:43:50
Basically that women don't have any business singing rock music, with occasional exception. He wasn't too happy about the DJ bringing it up in 2003 and I'm sure wouldn't stand by the remark now. I may have opened up a can of worms by bringing it up now and almost didn't post about it but it's there for anyone to hear.

My life is dirt but you seem to make it cleaner... reduce my felony to a misdemeanor
The Maharal Posted - 12/29/2016 : 02:41:49
What were the Women of rock comments?

Any fans of the Carnival of Souls album? It really is quite disconcerting in places.
TarTar Posted - 12/28/2016 : 19:52:57
I once saw a radio DJ interviewing FB at a private performance that was being broadcast ask about the "Women of rock" comments from this interview with David Thomas of Pere Ubu. It was in 2003 so ten years later. FB said they had been drinking and he said some things he later regretted and denied that he really felt this way. "I never said that." The interview never really recovered after that.

Stevio10 Posted - 11/28/2016 : 04:34:31
Stumbled across the Kathleen promo cd release where there's a lengthy interview with David Thomas and Frank Black from 93

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=412259

Never knew about this and was strange listening to it now, picked up some little tidbits like how FB got 3 songs from then Pere Ubu guitarist Jim Jones.

Stevio10 Posted - 10/19/2016 : 02:55:21
Like The Modern Dance but I've recently just listened to Cloudland (don't know what took me so long), what a great album this is too. Agree with the people who say the debut Frank Black solo album has a similar sound.

paintmeister Posted - 08/10/2005 : 11:55:01
I forgot to add Terminal Tower and I just picked up The Day the Earth Met Rocket From the Tomb, which was before the guys split to become Pere Ubu and the Dead Boys.
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 08/09/2005 : 00:37:49
And UBU like übü in German....

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 08/09/2005 : 00:37:08
quote:
Originally posted by paintmeister

I like it. On the first listen Laughing and Life Stinks put a smile on my face. Great guitar work and Dave's vocals are great. I will be getting more of their stuff. Quirky enough for my taste.

I like "fun" music which explains why I like FB, Pixies, TMBG, Tom Waits, Zappa, Flaming Lips, etc. Oh and Pere Ubu now too.

By the way how do you pronounce Pere Ubu? Is it like "pear" or "parry"?

From the play UBU ROI by Alfred Jarry:
You have to pronounce "Pere" like a "pair" of... balls or something

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 08/09/2005 : 00:35:15
TERMINAL TOWERS followed by THE MODERN DANCE followed by DUB HOUSING followed by NEW PIC NIC TIME followed by THE TENEMENT YEAR followed by WORLDS IN COLLISION followed by STORY OF MY LIFE followed by RAYGUN SUITCASE followed by PENSYLVANIA followed by ST ARKANSAS and the next to come: ELECTRICITY.

shineoftheever Posted - 08/09/2005 : 00:10:22
they are great live, that dude can sing!

The waxworks were an immensely eloquent dissertation on the wonderful ordinariness of mankind.
tobafett Posted - 08/08/2005 : 22:13:01
st. arkansas was my first ubu purchase...it's so-so. thanks for the thread...
paintmeister Posted - 08/08/2005 : 18:55:39
I was amazed to see this one back up. Since then I have added Dub Housing,Pennsylvania,St. Arkansas and New Picnic Time to my collection.
Then went on to David Thomas and got the Monster box set, 18 Monkeys, and Surf's Up.
Pere Ubu will be touring Europe in the fall and they have another album due out in 2006 called "Electricity".
deadlydoctor Posted - 08/08/2005 : 06:17:24
I just picked up Ray Gun Suitcase, Pennsylvania, and Cloudland. All are excellent albums!

--------
he’s tripping over graves • as rain begins to fall • and finally they escape when the shuttle bus is called
mereubu Posted - 07/18/2004 : 13:58:51
Disastodrome happened in L.A. last year (there was a UK one in '98)--if you type it into the site search function, something ought to come up. Floop actually got to go see it, and one of my friends designed the set for it. I think he has video, but I can't get him to part with it. Grrr.

Glad to hear that you're having a good time with the Ubu.
paintmeister Posted - 07/17/2004 : 22:20:21
I picked up Worlds of Collision, which has Eric Drew Feldman helping, on Ebay. I think this one is out of print. Anyway, the intro to the song "Oh Catherine" is amazingly similar to "Valentine and Garuda" from Black Letter Days. Check it out if you can. I also discovered that Frank Black helped in the performance when David Thomas did his Diastrodome opera in Los Angeles in 1998.

My curiosity has spawned to obsession.

paintmeister Posted - 06/28/2004 : 20:35:45
That's how I was pronouncing it but I just wanted to be sure. Danke.

mereubu Posted - 06/28/2004 : 14:46:03
Like "pear." Glad you like it! I'm mighty fond of "Nonalignment Pact."
paintmeister Posted - 06/28/2004 : 14:32:33
I like it. On the first listen Laughing and Life Stinks put a smile on my face. Great guitar work and Dave's vocals are great. I will be getting more of their stuff. Quirky enough for my taste.

I like "fun" music which explains why I like FB, Pixies, TMBG, Tom Waits, Zappa, Flaming Lips, etc. Oh and Pere Ubu now too.

By the way how do you pronounce Pere Ubu? Is it like "pear" or "parry"?

mariggy Posted - 06/28/2004 : 02:52:39
paintmeister, how was it? Do you like it, ...or hate it ?

I join The Broken English Club. ---It's educational.
TarTar Posted - 06/25/2004 : 00:49:45
Yeah, Dub Housing has Drinking Wine Spodyody. I mean, how can you listen to a record that doesn't have Drinking Wine Spodyody on it? That's just... I don't know... wrong.

"You gotta watch the mota, Thurston. Yr fuckin memory just goes out the window."
Crispy Water Posted - 06/25/2004 : 00:29:49
I'd say either Dub Housing or Song of the Bailing Man.

Nothing is ever something.
paintmeister Posted - 06/24/2004 : 20:53:22
I ordered Modern Dance from my local cd shop yesterday during my lunch break and then 24 hours later they called me to say it was in. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stop by today. I wasn't expecting it until tomorrow. By this time tomorrow I will be listening to Modern Dance/Surfer Rosa.

shineoftheever Posted - 06/24/2004 : 15:36:49
Hey guys,

would I be wrong to say:

Modern Dance/Dub Housing are to Surfer Rosa/Doolittle as Worlds in Collision/Story of My Life are to Bossanova/Trompe Le Monde?

"Here today, Guano tomorrow"
TarTar Posted - 06/24/2004 : 15:15:39
Dub Housing is great, but that's the only one I have. I've heard Cloudland is interesting because it has pop songs on it.

"You gotta watch the mota, Thurston. Yr fuckin memory just goes out the window."
paintmeister Posted - 06/23/2004 : 19:14:08
Modern Dance it is then. Thanks all.

mariggy Posted - 06/23/2004 : 04:26:42
Yeah, "The Modern Dance" is suitable to buy first. I bought it first, too, and was and excited!! It is their first album and has already filled with the essence of PERE UBU, I think. If you don't like it, probably you won't like the others. Try it !

I join The Broken English Club. ---It's educational.
frank_black_francis Posted - 06/23/2004 : 03:23:43
Datapanik in The Year Zero....if its still available.
WolfManMikeLonely Posted - 06/22/2004 : 20:02:09
The only one I have is "The Modern Dance" and it's a great album very "mind expanding".

"Hey fuck you if you don't like it."
-Johnny Thunders

www.transposed.net
mereubu Posted - 06/22/2004 : 19:54:56
My Ubu-obsessed spouse says "The Modern Dance" or "Dub Housing."

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000