-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 UK November/December 2016 dates

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stuczuba Posted - 07/18/2016 : 20:46:13
http://www.pixiesmusic.com/shows/

Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow, Manc and another 2 Brixton nights.
They're spoiling us this year!
Tix wednesday morning :)
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
benji Posted - 12/15/2016 : 13:43:05
here's a recording of the Birmingham show:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=579234

Setlist was (as I don't see it listed on the thread, though I may have missed it):
river euphrates
there goes my gun
classic masher
i've been tired
head on
caribou
gouge away
talent
monkey gone to heaven
oona
u-mass
planet of sound
where is my mind?
winterlong [neil young]
all the saints
ana
wave of mutilation
la la love you
here comes your man
nimrod's son
vamos
bone machine
all i think about now
might as well be gone
tenement song
bel esprit
crackity jones
baal's back
tame
rock music
debaser
into the white

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
sdon Posted - 12/14/2016 : 22:06:43
I find Tame and River Euphrates sexy

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Sprite Posted - 12/14/2016 : 09:52:34
I would have to agree even given I am a fan of Talent. Not sure there is any song by the Pixies that is sexy and sultry. If I had to pick one maybe I Bleed but even then it's a stretch. Good review though.
Bedbug Posted - 12/14/2016 : 02:30:59
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

http://rockshot.co.uk/23444/live-review-the-pixies-academy-brixton-6th-december-2016/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

"Sexy" and "sultry"... two words I never thought I would hear used to describe Talent
pixie punk Posted - 12/14/2016 : 01:10:13
http://rockshot.co.uk/23444/live-review-the-pixies-academy-brixton-6th-december-2016/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Sprite Posted - 12/08/2016 : 03:46:03
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Did you attend a European show Discoking?

antwerp, belgium.

if there was another show nearby, i'd also consider going a second time. and hopefully enjoy it more, and catch a setlist that has more songs off head carrier.
dunno. maybe it wasn't even them. maybe it was just me. i definitely wasn't really "in it" for most of the time.

oh well, i'll see them next time. whenever.

it's educational

Well I hope it's better next time! By the way I've just realised after all these years that your name reads as Disco King when I've always read it as rhyming with Dis-Coking for some weird reason.
The Maharal Posted - 12/08/2016 : 00:58:51
Oh yeah Snakes sounded so much better than before. They've made it more obviously loud/quiet/loud and the crowd actually seemed to like it. Really enjoying some of these changes in the songs: winterlong, Into the White and Havalina were a few others with slight but enjoyable alterations.

Also yeah Blown Away was class. I sometimes think that's the kind of song current Pixies aim to replicate but just fall short. Thinking Magdalena especially and one or two of the HC songs.
Ziggy Posted - 12/07/2016 : 13:27:55
Here's the full setlist - 38 songs in all!

Bone Machine
Monkey
Bel Esprit
Caribou
Subbacultcha
Oona
Wave
Um Chagga Lagga
Mr Grieves
You Might As Well Be Gone
I've Been Tired
Magdalena
Cactus
There Goes My Gun
Dead
Talent
Crackity Jones
Isla
Rock Music
Baal's Back
U Mass
Velouria
Havalina
Snakes
Where Is My Mind
Blown Away (brilliant)
Winterlong
All The Saints
Here Comes Your Man
La La Love You
Motorway to Roswell (Joey playing his new Les Paul and even doing the keyboard outro on it)
Tenement Song
Classic Masher
All I Think About Now
Hey
Debaser
Vamos (BF with electric)
Into The White

It was my 11th Pixies show and without a doubt one of the best.

Had the good fortune to interview Charles before the show. Very generous with his time and his answers. Should be online tomorrow.
The Maharal Posted - 12/07/2016 : 12:37:27
Good show. Wonderful to hear Motorway (and enraging to notice how many people didn't know or like it...). Great to hear the likes of Gun, Dead and Blown Away. Dead may have been a highlight -haven't heard that one in yonks and BF went for it.

Masher and UCL got the best reception of the newer stuff (not too fond of the song itself, it's decent, but live it takes a whole new level; in fact, I got goosebumps toward the end of it). Baals Back was ace, though no one seemed to know it. Oona another good 'un. The extended Winterlong is amazing. What a song. Overall, a fine gig. I probably should take a break from seeing them for a couple of years though... I won't dare to think of the amount I've spent on them over theto last few years! Oh yeah, and a Head Carrier tea towel! Don't regret that one bit!
The Maharal Posted - 12/07/2016 : 09:45:22
On way to the Cardiff gig!
Discoking Posted - 12/07/2016 : 02:45:57
quote:

Did you attend a European show Discoking?

antwerp, belgium.

if there was another show nearby, i'd also consider going a second time. and hopefully enjoy it more, and catch a setlist that has more songs off head carrier.
dunno. maybe it wasn't even them. maybe it was just me. i definitely wasn't really "in it" for most of the time.

oh well, i'll see them next time. whenever.

it's educational
Ziggy Posted - 12/06/2016 : 06:39:47
If anyone's looking for a ticket to the Cardiff show, I've got one spare.
Sprite Posted - 12/06/2016 : 06:24:21
Did you attend a European show Discoking? I think one things that enhances show intensity is the fact they are actually touring the country. It's a long time since they did a whole week of shows in the UK. I was all set to head down to Brixton again tonight and try and get a ticket from someone until my wife told me she has a school meeting and I had to stay at home with the kids. I am feeling fricking old right now...
Discoking Posted - 12/06/2016 : 01:18:43
i'm getting a bit jealous of all the great reviews of the other shows.
it feels like we missed out.

it's educational
pot Posted - 12/05/2016 : 12:39:25
Last time I was in the Apollo was nearly 20 years ago for Underworld. Good venue.

That's I think the only time I was ever in there, despite the fact I live in Manc for 3 years. I'm sure I missed loads of epic gigs there.
pixiestu Posted - 12/05/2016 : 11:08:49
Manchester last night was brilliant. I haven't been to many gigs but that was definitely the best I've been to, way better than when I saw them on the Doolittle anniversary tour. For the most part the Head Carrier songs were all really well received. The only lulls in my opinion where during All The Saints and Magdalena. For Magdalena I'd say the long distorted feedback/Joey-ness at the start stopped a lot of people from realising what the song was...so when it started it was a little bit anticlimactic. It was also the only Indie Cindy song.

FB's shouty voice for U-Mass/Rock Music/Baal's Back was on point.

Cecilia Ann
Levitate Me
Bel Esprit
Monkey Gone to Heaven
U-Mass
Rock Music
Baal's Back
Gouge Away
Tenement Song
I've Been Tired
Oona
Wave of Mutilation
All I Think About Now
Velouria
Classic Masher
Brick Is Red
Havalina
All the Saints
Cactus
Here Comes Your Man
La La Love You
Nimrod's Son
Mr. Grieves
Blown Away
Where Is My Mind?
Vamos
Winterlong
Caribou
Magdalena 318
There Goes My Gun
Crackity Jones
Talent
Tame
Debaser
Encore:
Into the White (Again...sooo much dry ice! But it does look pretty cool when the lights hit them and you just see silhouettes)

Setlist is from setlist.fm. To my memory it seems correct.

"The arc of triumph"
picpic Posted - 12/04/2016 : 22:55:13
Too bad for you they didn't play Subbacultcha ;-)

___
"Service Unavailable"
yarbles Posted - 12/04/2016 : 17:37:57
Isla De Encanta/Talent/Rock Music/Baal's Back sound like a ferocious set of songs!
Bedbug Posted - 12/04/2016 : 00:16:01
quote:
Originally posted by Panamanian Schooner

Last night in Newcastle was fantastic. A great mix of songs (Motorway to Roswell! ) and awesome performance. My 3rd Pixies gig, with a 3rd different bass player (Kim - Glasgow 2009, Kim 2 - London 2013). The set list was:

Gouge Away
Um Chagga Lagga
Monkey Gone To Heaven
Classic Masher
Bone Machine
Oona
I've Been Tired
Isla de Encanta
Talent
Rock Music
Baal's Back
Hey
All I Think About Now
Mr Greaves
Nimrod's Son
Where Is My Mind
All The Saints
Wave of Mutilation
Here Comes Your Man
La La Love You
Motorway To Roswell
Magdalena
Caribou
Bel Espirit
Cactus
Tenement Song
Dead
Debaser
Into the White (Complete with shed-loads of dry ice that completely obscured the band for basically the entire song)

Thanks for the setlist Panamanian Schooner. Sounds like a fun show.

If they're doing that much of a visual to close out with Into The White I wonder if that will be their go to closer often times.
Panamanian Schooner Posted - 12/03/2016 : 21:08:19
Last night in Newcastle was fantastic. A great mix of songs (Motorway to Roswell! ) and awesome performance. My 3rd Pixies gig, with a 3rd different bass player (Kim - Glasgow 2009, Kim 2 - London 2013). The set list was:

Gouge Away
Um Chagga Lagga
Monkey Gone To Heaven
Classic Masher
Bone Machine
Oona
I've Been Tired
Isla de Encanta
Talent
Rock Music
Baal's Back
Hey
All I Think About Now
Mr Greaves
Nimrod's Son
Where Is My Mind
All The Saints
Wave of Mutilation
Here Comes Your Man
La La Love You
Motorway To Roswell
Magdalena
Caribou
Bel Espirit
Cactus
Tenement Song
Dead
Debaser
Into the White (Complete with shed-loads of dry ice that completely obscured the band for basically the entire song)

picpic Posted - 12/03/2016 : 11:15:39
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Percenter
They also started Um Chagga Lagga, but aborted it and went into ?Something Against you, I think.

Looks like they always go for Something Against You when they abort some other song !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Ten Percenter Posted - 12/03/2016 : 01:43:43
A great night in Glasgow Barrowlands, as always. One of my favourite memories of the night was selling a spare ticket at face value to a genuine fan outside - he could not afford the prices the touts were quoting - I thought he was going to cry! (He never did buy me that promised beer though...) There was a bit of a lull earlier on when the energy levels seemed to dip, but the Barrowlands is a bit of a bear pit and arguably is not as suited to more subtle moments. The momentum that built from then to the end of the set was awe inspiring. They started with Cecilia Ann and ended with Into the White - the played, not in this order:

Isla de encanta
Nimrod's son
I've been tired
Something against you
Broken Face
River Euphrates
Where is my mind
Cactus
Vamos
Debaser
Tame
Wave of mutilation
Here comes your man
Monkey gone to heaven
Mr grieves
Hey
Gouge Away
Cecilia Ann
Rock Music
Velouria
Ana
Blown Away
Havalina
Head On
Snakes
Magdalena
Head Carrier
Classic Masher
Baal's back
Oona
Talent
Bel esprit
All I think about now
All the Saints
Winterlong
Into the White

They also started Um Chagga Lagga, but aborted it and went into ?Something Against you, I think.

"I had finally reached bedrock, and was dangerously addicted to Grand Duchy. Luckily Dean checked me in to the Petits Fours Clinic"
Stevio10 Posted - 12/03/2016 : 01:38:07
Saw them last night in Glasgow, they were really good.

Everyone was in good form except a couple of hiccups (um chagga Lagga aborted and at another stage Joey started All I Think About Now instead of another)

But they were very minor nitpicks. BF and Paz vocals were great. Has been 11 years since I last saw Pixies live but BF's vocals were exceptionally performed where most songs were delivered as good or better than the album recordings.

Can't recall the full setlist (over 30 songs) but was great they started with Cecilia Ann then into Head Carrier, it's so punchy live.

All the hits from Doolittle, Surfer Rosa were played, WIMM, Debaser, HCYM, Nimrods Son, Mr Grieves, Cactus, Isla De Encanta, Ive Been Tired, Broken Face, Wave - crowd loved these most, a lot of crowdsurfing going on.

Vamos - Joey must have done his thing for 5 mins, was really fun to watch, Paz and BF grinning as he would pretend to finish then use some other inoperable part of his guitar or equipment to keep going.

From Head Carrier they played HC the song, Bel Esprit, Talent, All The Saints, Oona, Baals Back, All I Think About Now and Classic Masher. Oona and Talent were great. My mate thought Talent was a cover of Stranglers song. Baals Back live is a monstrous performance from BF - they must have a huge supply of honey and lemon on the tour bus!

Not much of Trompe, only Head On from what I recall. From Bossanova they played Cecilia Ann, Velouria, Havalina, Rock Music and Blown Away. I was amazed they played Blown Away and didn't notice any effects with Rock Music.

From IC it was Magdalena and Snakes. These 2 were really different to the rest of the show - a real spacey psychedelic vibe - even with Snakes. Joey made some sounds to mimic the rattlesnakes and Dave's pounding made it hugely enjoyable - this was the song that is much better live than on album. Paz helps it too with her vocals.

Also Winterlong with Joey playing an extended outro and they finished with big grins and a bow then Into The White.

Paz lead vocals were great, looks like she is a real pro, their vocals together were a real highlight.

Left the gig very impressed, performances were spot on where they could at ease tear the place down, serenade with their harmonies, take you on a spacey trip all on BF's whim.

No videos I'm afraid but will check youtube see if anything posted.

Highlight for me were seeing them all - particularly Joey - happy. All songs were great, it is one mightily impressive body of work. Like the Hitchcock of Indie Rock.

Discoking Posted - 12/02/2016 : 03:48:13
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I also noticed lots of FX on his voice on some songs since the IC tour (Rock Music, Tame, etc...).

the amount of echo on rock music made the song unlistenable in antwerp, i found. the sound in the venue wasn't great to begin with. the echo on rock music resulted in a proper sound soup.

it's educational
pot Posted - 12/02/2016 : 03:40:21
The Independent is a rag these days. Not even a rag, it's a cyber rag. The Guardian too. I only ever used to buy them for the cryptic crosswords.
Sprite Posted - 12/02/2016 : 03:20:27
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

quote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/pixies-brixton-academy-gig-review-idiosyncratic-alt-rockers-astound-on-the-opening-night-of-their-uk-a7446251.html

"They’re reputation as a hit and miss live act is well-known"

WTF? Grammar and content!

Yes shocking. But at least he remarked that Head Carrier is their best album since Doolittle which in itself makes me thing he's actually listened to it and formed an opinion rather than the usual herding you get in the papers (Nirvana, no Kim, older and balder, 2004, dialled in, poorly received new album, rinse, repeat....)
pot Posted - 12/02/2016 : 01:24:18
I might not live that long
billgoodman Posted - 12/02/2016 : 00:29:04
Just give us Bossanove 40th a year later.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
pot Posted - 12/01/2016 : 12:24:48
So the Pixies played Brixton again. Apparently the crowd were treated to Blown Away and Havalina, which makes me feel slightly jealous.

So that's about 12.5 years since they played in 2004 when I saw them at Brixton, nearly the same length of time between then and the infamous SECC mini-gig of 1991 and them splittig up and ruining my life.

Another 13 years and I'll be practically an old man!

Imagine if the Pixies are still around in 2029 and they play a series of gigs at Brixton again and I'm there? It would feel like my whole life has revolved around getting to see the Pixies live, which ain't a bad thing really.

Maybe see some of you at the Doolittle 40th anniversary tour then?
presley1 Posted - 12/01/2016 : 11:12:07
Great gig in Leeds last night, a couple of shoving dickheads stage right didn't spoil it.

Oh my golly!
The Maharal Posted - 11/30/2016 : 07:50:58
Don't see too much wrong with hit and miss. Mostly hit but they are sloppy now and again. Especially when I first started seeing them almost ten years ago when BF was totally disinterested in playing the same stuff over and over again. At least now he's a bit of the old passion back.
stuczuba Posted - 11/30/2016 : 06:20:33
quote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/pixies-brixton-academy-gig-review-idiosyncratic-alt-rockers-astound-on-the-opening-night-of-their-uk-a7446251.html

"They’re reputation as a hit and miss live act is well-known"

WTF? Grammar and content!
Sprite Posted - 11/30/2016 : 04:41:39
picpic Posted - 11/30/2016 : 03:14:43
I also noticed lots of FX on his voice on some songs since the IC tour (Rock Music, Tame, etc...). More comfortable for him I suppose.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 11/30/2016 : 01:16:55
Thanks for the report Sprite. Looks like a great show. There Goes My Gun doesn't get a lot of play. And I always like getting to see Charles when he aborts one. Sometimes that's the only interaction you get from him at a Pixies show.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000