-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 The Paz Song

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pot Posted - 09/23/2016 : 00:02:14
I like it.

It reminds me somewhat of several key 90's indie chick bands, for example Throwing Muses

Besides that, I also felt that there ought to now be a thread called "The Paz Song"

I like Paz
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
trobrianders Posted - 10/21/2016 : 12:46:33
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Re: Paz: I really wonder why people say she mimics Kim's voice. She doesn't. She's a female singer in the Pixies. Saying she imitates Kim is awfully derogatory.

Denis

Coastline calls this one the Fort Wayne-y one. Her voice reminds him of Violet. You can't win.

pixie punk Posted - 10/21/2016 : 12:27:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKS8gd5tMbg John (Rotten) Lydon was one of the first to mix a classic song of his past into a new song and it is brilliant.Joey also played a Pixies riff in one of the songs from The Martinis 2nd album.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
trobrianders Posted - 10/21/2016 : 12:11:09
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

They should let Paz sing Gigantic.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Does she like BBC though?

trobrianders Posted - 10/21/2016 : 11:56:34
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

F u c k entitled fans.

When it comes to concerts, I gladly pay for what I get, not for what I want - and I absolutely love it when artists give me what THEY want instead.

But that's just me. :)

Oh that is beautifully put.

When I first heard that speeded up take on Joey's WIMM riff and the ooohs kick in the hairs on my neck didn't stand up but they did when I realised the last lines of the song

I remember we were happy
That's all I think about now
If you have any doubt
I want to thank you anyhow

It's the line, If you have any doubt. It's something we've all felt. That feeling when so much water has passed under the bridge and you have regret but you don't know if you'll even be believed. And we all know some about Charles and Kim and what happened.

I'm in love with this song now

vilainde Posted - 10/18/2016 : 01:52:36
Re: Paz: I really wonder why people say she mimics Kim's voice. She doesn't. She's a female singer in the Pixies. Saying she imitates Kim is awfully derogatory.

Denis
vilainde Posted - 10/18/2016 : 01:44:46
quote:
Originally posted by The New Bolero

I was at Breeders show at a tiny club called Spaceland in L.A. just before the Pixies reunion in 03 or 04 where not only did the do Gigantic but they brought Joey on to play guitar with the band! It was too cool. By the way, someone tell her she can also keep Bam Thwock while she's at it.

Wow, crazy. I had never heard of this.

Denis
Bedbug Posted - 10/14/2016 : 03:22:06
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

When Kim divorced from the Pixies, she kept custody of Gigantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSPXVm55m5k

___
"Service Unavailable"

No kidding? Does she keep all the royalties?

I was digging that performance.
picpic Posted - 10/13/2016 : 12:49:09
Kim's goldtop LP sounds amazing. Joey used it during the early Pixies years and also in this video apparently. Kim still use it today, I remember I saw it on some recent Breeders video on Youtube.

___
"Service Unavailable"
The New Bolero Posted - 10/13/2016 : 12:32:48
In fact, there's a flip phone video of it still on YouTube.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E7q-MrkrK4
The New Bolero Posted - 10/13/2016 : 12:26:30
I was at Breeders show at a tiny club called Spaceland in L.A. just before the Pixies reunion in 03 or 04 where not only did the do Gigantic but they brought Joey on to play guitar with the band! It was too cool. By the way, someone tell her she can also keep Bam Thwock while she's at it.
picpic Posted - 10/12/2016 : 22:00:03
When Kim divorced from the Pixies, she kept custody of Gigantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSPXVm55m5k

___
"Service Unavailable"
sdon Posted - 10/12/2016 : 20:54:54
According to setlist.fm, the Breeders performed Gigantic three times already
http://www.setlist.fm/stats/covers/the-breeders-3d6b1b3.html

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
stuczuba Posted - 10/12/2016 : 20:19:33
I'd be chuffed if the Breeders started playing Gigantic :)
picpic Posted - 10/12/2016 : 07:27:46
I confess I was joking. Gigantic is "Kim's song". They would be booed offstage for their sin.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 10/12/2016 : 06:59:11
It's not an issue, I don't think they've played Gigantic since Kim quit.

An instrumental Into The White would be good though, it's not a huge hit with the Kim Deal associatoin but definitely don't play Gigantic.

They'll probably never do either one anyway.

cheers
pixiestu Posted - 10/12/2016 : 06:26:15
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

He's sung Into The White himself at solo shows, no need for a Kim connection..
I wouldnt mind if they permamently dropped Gigantic as a nod to Kim

I agree with this. Backing vocals is fine, but I think to have Paz sing Gigantic would just feel...weird!

Just don't include Gigantic in the set, let it go. If they're determined to let Paz sing a song live then we have 'The Paz Song'.

"The arc of triumph"
Bedbug Posted - 10/12/2016 : 05:55:41
Laughing out loud
picpic Posted - 10/12/2016 : 05:34:10
Np mf

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 10/12/2016 : 04:07:42
Sorry Sdon

Don't Get Me Wrong

I go overboard on these abbreviations I know
sdon Posted - 10/12/2016 : 04:01:01
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I showed them Subbacultcha and DGMW on YouTube and behold new fans were born.

what is DGMW?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Bedbug Posted - 10/12/2016 : 01:10:38
I suppose I have a lot of the mixed feelings about WIMM that everyone else has, but last night when it came on during The Leftovers (good use of the song by the way) the people I was watching it with were really into it (not knowing Pixies it seemed) so after the show I showed them Subbacultcha and DGMW on YouTube and behold new fans were born.

So I suppose I should be more understanding of the WIMM crowd, and when I meet them hopefully point them on to more of Charles' stuff.

And actually sometimes AITAN sounds less like WIMM than I originally thought.
stuczuba Posted - 10/11/2016 : 20:55:01
He's sung Into The White himself at solo shows, no need for a Kim connection..
I wouldnt mind if they permamently dropped Gigantic as a nod to Kim
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 10/11/2016 : 12:18:36
Adding to the list of unlikely scenarios, they should do instrumental versions of Gigantic and Into The White...
Sprite Posted - 10/11/2016 : 11:53:46
I usually go for a leak during WIMM if I suspect it's not the last song in the set. I also don't like the way he sings it now.
picpic Posted - 10/11/2016 : 10:01:16
They should let Paz sing Gigantic.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 10/11/2016 : 06:11:26
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

When it comes to concerts, I gladly pay for what I get, not for what I want - and I absolutely love it when artists give me what THEY want instead.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

Probably the best attitude to have and the one that will ensure you have the most fun at a show, Mr. Radiator. I've ruined some concerts in the past by having hopes to hear a super rare song from Pearl Jam and been disappointed when they didn't play it. Ah well, that was then, this is now.

Pretty ballsy of Dylan to drop that song; it'd be like Tom Petty dropping American Girl or Free Fallin'.

cheers
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 10/11/2016 : 06:04:47
Massive generalizations ahead:

With the Catholics Frank could play whatever he wanted, they had no big hits. There were no expectations, I don't think.

People love Doolittle and to a lesser degree, Surfer and Pilgrim, were disappointed by the latter two from the original lineup and don't care about the new music.

I'm glad they still play Planet. As for the rest of the songs I love from those latter albums, I think the odds of them being played were higher without new music since they needed to perform something in addition to the Doolittle songs.

With a new album out, what I picture the tour to be is something like, Doolittle/Head-Carrier/Surfer and maybe a few oddballs (no pun intended).

The Pixies have "hit songs" and thus expectations exist.

If I were a casual Van Halen fan and went to a show, I'd be disappointed if I didn't hear Jump or Panama. So it goes for most bands at a certain level of success. So it goes with the Pixies. This schism exists with most bands, people who want the hits (usually the majority) and the hardcore fans who love the deep-cuts.

I could see them having fun with the Paz song, performing it right before Where is My Mind, so they glide from one to the next.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and they'll pull out Lovely Day and Theme From Narc, etc.

And at least they mix it up night to night...!

Now if only they'd Vamos a few other songs.

cheers

peter radiator Posted - 10/10/2016 : 10:58:22
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal
I think WIMM is now the one Pixies song certain sections of the crowd absolutely expect to hear. Full of self-righteous entitlement. Like when I saw Modest Mouse years ago they put a brilliant show with lots of their more popular songs but because they omitted Float On a good few people left the venue a bit pissed off. I just don't get it.

Bob Dylan abandoned Like a Rolling Stone some time ago, and his shows are all the better for it.

F u c k entitled fans.

--

The Maharal Posted - 10/10/2016 : 08:22:54
Haha yeah. I wouldn't be thrilled to hear it live but I would definitely enjoy seeing all the WIMM fans* aggrieved.

*That's not to be particularly spiteful but I think WIMM is now the one Pixies song certain sections of the crowd absolutely expect to hear. Full of self-righteous entitlement. Like when I saw Modest Mouse years ago they put a brilliant show with lots of their more popular songs but because they omitted Float On a good few people left the venue a bit pissed off. I just don't get it.

Stevio10 Posted - 10/10/2016 : 02:37:52
If they play this live, I can imagine the casual / WIMM crowd getting a little confused or pissed
picpic Posted - 09/23/2016 : 23:58:40
quote:

This might be Fissile-bait but after a few listens that Dealish vocal delivery (reminds me of the Off You or Walk it Off era Breeders) and the upside down WIMM backing bed kind of twists the goodbye to Kim song into some kind of alternate reality apology FROM Kim!

So, BF is trolling everyone ? I like that explanation.

___
"Service Unavailable"
peter radiator Posted - 09/23/2016 : 17:24:44
quote:

This might be Fissile-bait but after a few listens that Dealish vocal delivery (reminds me of the Off You or Walk it Off era Breeders) and the upside down WIMM backing bed kind of twists the goodbye to Kim song into some kind of alternate reality apology FROM Kim! Anyone else getting that?

Yep. Nice catch.

"You are right from your side, and I am right from mine / We're just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind"

--

DruggedBunnyToo Posted - 09/23/2016 : 13:45:42
Listening to it for the first time as I type, came here to say "Throwing Muses", University era!

EDIT: Maybe Surf Cowboy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBpZ1fq45vQ

--
James/DruggedBunny[Too]
The New Bolero Posted - 09/23/2016 : 09:45:13
This might be Fissile-bait but after a few listens that Dealish vocal delivery (reminds me of the Off You or Walk it Off era Breeders) and the upside down WIMM backing bed kind of twists the goodbye to Kim song into some kind of alternate reality apology FROM Kim! Anyone else getting that? Whatever, it's all good. It's a pretty song.
pot Posted - 09/23/2016 : 09:20:55
Oh aye she's a good Kim Deal Josephine Longthorne for sure.

It's nice they gave her a song anyway.

I like Paz

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000