-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Pixies should cover FB solo material (3 Points)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 09/24/2016 : 15:17:25
1) If Frank indeed plans on keeping the Pixies together, i.e. no more solo material (and why not, since he seems to get along with Dave and Joey and they all like Paz), it would be a shame for some great songs from his solo and Catholic years to never be performed by him again. Especially by a full band as opposed to a solo show.

2) They have performed covers from other bands, why not other bands he was a part of? There's a sense of symmetry as the Catholics covered the Pixies, why not the other way around? How awesome would Bullet or Robert Onion sound filtered through Dave and Joey? Heck, didn't Joey play on Bullet in the studio?

3) I realize they now have two post-reunion albums as well as a plethora of Pixies songs that are rarely performed live from which to pull from. Why add FB songs? Musical variety. A Pixies version of an FB tune could offer up a different angle on the song, revealing crazy unforeseen depths to the music. It's a chance to expand on songs from his past!

An excellent Catholics song could have people seek out that band. If they're still playing 90 minute shows, well, in my opinion, a band of their stature should be at least playing 2 hours. Sure, maybe that goes against some preconceived "indie band" aesthetic, but if so, I think it's stupid. Adding some FB/Catholics songs makes the concert longer.

---I understand the odds of this happening are slim to none. And that's being optimistic. I think it would be great though.

cheers
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 10/03/2016 : 07:35:29
Bullet has a lot of space the Pixies can utilize, the whole bridge can be another moment for Joey to experment through and wail on while Paz maintains a simple bass line. I think they could really make the song their own on stage.

pixiestu Posted - 10/02/2016 : 17:05:32
Some of those I just can't imagine being played by the Pixies...although obviously I'd love it if they were! But something like Jet Black River I just can't hear in my head how it might sound.

Must admit I would lose my shit if I turned up to a Pixies gig and a few songs in heard "The islands of Phoenix, in two thousand sixteen..." or something similar, any FB or Catholics song really! That would be awesome!

"The arc of triumph"
McDutchie Posted - 10/02/2016 : 13:32:03
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Is there a thread somewhere for solo and Catholics songs that would make great Pixies songs?

I don't know, but I actually made myself a playlist of those three or four years ago when it looked unlikely the Pixies were ever going to come out with a new album. Here is my "imaginary Pixies album" from the time:

1. Pixies: Ain't That Pretty At All (Warren Zevon cover. This is cheating as it's actually Pixies, but it was never on a Pixies album; it was on a Zevon tribute album called "Enjoy Every Sandwich")
2. FB&C: Bartholomew (Devil's Workshop)
3. BF: Six Legged Man (Nonstoperotik)
4. FB&C: His Kingly Cave (Devil's Worshop; this one has Joey)
5. FB: Village of the Sun (Oddballs)
6. FB&C: California Bound (Black Letter Days)
7. FB&C: Jet Black River (Black Letter Days)
8. GD: Where Is John Frum? (Let The People Speak)
9. BF: Half Man (Svn Fngrs)
10. BF: Astaroth (Golem)
11. FB&C: Robert Onion (Dog In The Sand)
12. BF: Serious Curious (Abbabubba)
13. FB&C: Heloise (Devil's Workshop)
14. FB: Bad Wicked World (Teenager of the Year)
15. Breeders: We're Gonna Rise (Mountain Battles)

Of course I was trying to imagine what those would sound like if they were played by the Pixies. I think that would have ended up pretty solid.
johnnyribcage Posted - 10/02/2016 : 12:19:26
I'd love to hear it but highly doubt that would ever happen. Unless, maybe at some point 5 years down the road or something, assuming they're still active, maybe they've pumped out another 3 or 4 albums and everyone has stopped putting them on such a crazy pedestal that it wouldn't matter. Who knows though what they have up their sleeves. It's fun to keep watching and enjoying the new stuff though!

Is there a thread somewhere for solo and Catholics songs that would make great Pixies songs? I'd imagine there is at least one but it's probably buried from years ago.

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow
Bedbug Posted - 09/27/2016 : 06:18:20
Another reason I think would just be: us.

Not that the man owes any of us a thing. He's him and he's doing what he's doing and that's awesome.

But he must know there are hundreds if not thousands of humans who buy every single thing he's ever put out, who have listened to his b-sides hundreds (Abbabubba) if not thousands (Oddballs) of times, and would love to hear some of his non-Pixies stuff performed live. The fact that it would be with Joey and David and Paz makes it even better.

Again, I have zero intention of sounding like I'm whining or complaining, and absolutely no sense that we are owed anything, but it would be such a solid for many of his biggest fans to hear the four of them start in with "I had so many problems and then I got me a Walkman" or "Down by the beach today" or whatever he's feeling that day.
The Maharal Posted - 09/25/2016 : 23:21:00
Bullet's been done to death. It's one of those songs along with the likes of Where Is My Mind which I wouldn't care if I were to never hear it again. Plus there would be uproar amongst a lot of fans if this idea of BF re-adopting his solo work ever happens. Would certainly fuel the pro-Kim crowd's indignation. And while I'm sure BF doesn't care one iota about that I'm sure he'd care about the potential financial implications it could have. I just wish they'd give Trompe songs a fair go.
McDutchie Posted - 09/25/2016 : 13:48:40
Bullet. They need to cover Bullet. If the Pixies ever cover Bullet, making it nice and loud and spacey, then I can die happy.

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

And I doubt Joey could play FB solo material leads.

*cough*His Kingly Cave*cough*
Bedbug Posted - 09/25/2016 : 13:13:13
Only read the title of this thread so far, but YES Arm Arm Arm!!!

Was just listening to The Marsist in the car today and thought Pixies 2.0 should cover this.

Stevio10 Posted - 09/25/2016 : 07:53:13
Perhaps Benji would know when it was recorded and how many songs, he's an expert on these matters.

Maybe have to put an 'x' on this forum window to summon him xfiles style!
Stevio10 Posted - 09/25/2016 : 07:17:07
Good question...I have this album and it has Modern Age and Jumping Beans as a bonus from the kitchen tape, don't know exactly when it was recorded but here's a link

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Black-The-Black-Sessions-Live-In-Paris-Plus-The-Kitchen-Tapes/release/1715948

picpic Posted - 09/25/2016 : 06:00:46
Where can I find this "kitchen tape" ? Official release ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
Stevio10 Posted - 09/25/2016 : 02:15:34
They would technically be ok to play Velvety (with lyrics) as it existed with Pixies first, The Modern Age (1st appeared on the kitchen tape, BF + Joey), Hang on to Your Ego (Pixies had it in the pipeline 1st...how awesome would that be, a cover version of your own cover version!)

pot Posted - 09/25/2016 : 02:01:46
There have been at least two (I think) Pixies tribute albums, and they have influenced a LOT of really great indie bands over the past 25+ years.

I'd like to see them do a covers album of songs by other bands, old and new whose sound was greatly influenced by them.

I think I have said this before too.
picpic Posted - 09/25/2016 : 00:07:26
That would be amazing, but people are buying tickets to see the Pixies and not Frank Black.

And I doubt Joey could play FB solo material leads.

I'm sure his solo career is not over yet and sooner or later we'll have a new solo album + tour.

___
"Service Unavailable"
stuczuba Posted - 09/24/2016 : 23:55:43
I hope they don't but I'm all up for the occasional cover of someone else - I really liked Big New Prinz but it seemed to get dropped with Kim Shattuck :(
pot Posted - 09/24/2016 : 23:02:13
I said that.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of there being one or two.
The Holiday Son Posted - 09/24/2016 : 22:33:18
It would be awesome but Frank said (on this very forum i think) : "never say never, but this will never happen"
sdon Posted - 09/24/2016 : 21:35:05
I'd rather they add songs from his solo repertoire (Dead Man's Curve, Tight Black Rubber, Los Angeles...)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000