-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black Making Noise
 Grand Duchy Petit Fours reissue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
matto Posted - 06/04/2014 : 13:28:52
"Fort Wayne" on vinyl! but in a different mix...

http://thebureaurecords.com/grand-duchys-petit-fours-original-mix-by-david-j-vinyl-release/
rand Duchy’s PETIT FOURS Original Mix by David J (Vinyl Release)
June 2, 2014 By Donny

We spoke with Violet Clark and Black Francis a couple days ago, and they revealed that there is a special re-release of the spectacular Grand Duchy debut, Petit Fours, in the works. But this isn’t just a re-release. It’s the original mix of the album by David J, of Bauhaus/Love and Rockets fame. We’ll keep you informed as there is more progress made on this project, but expect a vinyl/digital release this November.

--------
baby poop, curry
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
johnnyribcage Posted - 10/11/2016 : 14:36:26
I'm looking forward to this reissue. Until recently, I never really got into Grand Duchy that much, and Petit Fours still doesn't totally grab me, but I'll pick this up. That said, the last couple weeks I've been jamming on Let the People Speak, and man - I'm really digging it. It's great, front to back imo. A ton of fun, super creative, and fresh sounding. Lots of interesting production and composition. This sense of adventure is definitely missing from the new Pixies stuff, and listening to this kind of reminded me of that.

I love the new Pixies of course, but it could benefit from a little bit of that kind of envelope pushing. A couple tracks sound more "Pixies" to my ears than a lot of the new stuff.

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow
Discoking Posted - 09/21/2016 : 22:21:37
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

I own 7 Fingers and Abbabubba but they're still sealed in plastic.

listen to svn fngrs now!

it's educational
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 09/21/2016 : 15:36:17
A couple of reasons, I guess.

It's a combination of wanting to savor new FB music and at the same time, after Honeycomb and Fastman/Raiderman I didn't care for the direction he'd gone in and so it was easy to lose track of new records; it seemed like he was releasing a lot quite quickly that I just lost track of some of the releases and they piled up.

I own 7 Fingers and Abbabubba but they're still sealed in plastic.

indie Cindy I was conflicted over but eventually listened to. I'll probably wait for Head Carrier as a Christmas or birthday gift.

When I first got into Frank's solo work, I gorged on FB, Teenager and Cult; since then I'd like to space out the music.

cheers

Sprite Posted - 09/21/2016 : 13:15:20
Do you not listen to every FB as it comes out and if not how do you select which ones to listen to? I'd say if you like Blue Finger a lot you will really like 7 fingers.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 09/21/2016 : 08:44:53
I've yet to hear Christmass, NSE, 7 fingers, nor Abbabubba. Same with the record he split with that other guy.

Didn't care for Honeycomb nor Indie Cindy, nor the Raiderman album though there were some songs I liked.

I love most of Bluefinger and I think the Golem is an amazing record! Just incredible songwriting and playing. A true gem amongst the many he's given the world. Can you tell I like it a lot?

cheers
Ziggy Posted - 09/20/2016 : 22:26:55
NSE has some brilliant songs on it (Cinema Star, Lake of Sin etc) but the production is a bit odd. Quite a muddy mix and it just sounds like it was recorded in a bit of a hurry.
Don Eduardo Posted - 09/20/2016 : 16:57:56
PF is really a mixed bag. There's a few that I really enjoy (Black Suit, Fort Wayne, Ermesinde, Come On Over To My House), but then there's some that I find unlistenable (Volcano, Long Song, and especially Chase The Angels).
sdon Posted - 09/20/2016 : 13:12:10
While I agree with most of your analysis about NSE (and Dead Man's Curve is so overproduced, it's sad to hear), I would not be so harsh with Honeycomb.
To me, it's very underrated.

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Sprite Posted - 09/20/2016 : 09:33:16
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

Hmmmm...

I actually adore NSE.

It just hit me the right way from the first listen.

What is it in particular about that record that you did not care for, Sprite?

Is it something you could easily put into words?

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

Well I can try but it's going to be pretty surface level. Random things would include

* The songs don't stand out that much too me. I remember them as a bit conventional. Although some are intricate they are not quirky (and I like my FB/Pixies quirky)
* I don't like the production eg the strings on some tracks, or the falsetto (especially the way the voice is treated). I can live with it on a song like I'll be Blue but Rabbits or Tidy Sum get on my nerves. The album reminds me of Let it Be or Abbey Road which are my least favourite Beatles albums
* The album feels like a jumble collection of songs kind of a bit throwaway but not in a good way
* I heard Dead Man's Curve on Christmass first and I much preferred that version

What else? I've kind of worked out over many years that for me at least the support players and producer are important factors in how I consume and enjoy FB albums. That is the only clear stand out factor I can identify that explains how I can consider TOTY or BLD as musical pinnacles but COR or Honeycomb as real drags (I would not consider NSE as bad as those last two).

I would for sure say it's probably an album that needs a bit of work or commitment and I just have not been lured in enough to try that hard.
Sprite Posted - 09/20/2016 : 09:13:06
Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try.
hammerhands Posted - 09/20/2016 : 08:51:07
The movie is pretty good on its own, if you forgive it some of the subtext. "The Word"

I was pulling for Miriam. And it is improved with the soundtrack. It's only 85 minutes invested.

I also recommend Dark Side of the Rainbow.
Gramoul Zlu Posted - 09/20/2016 : 08:40:47
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Neither of really them really clicked with me. Especially NSE. I've listened to Abbadubba and Paley & Francis more than NSE. I may not have persevered enough with Golem. I have the DVD but not watched it, I should do that.

The numerous tracks from the original edition may have discouraged some people, I suggest you start with some of the most consistent songs like:

Astaroth - Bad News - You're Gonna Pay - The Word - Stars - The Flower Song - The Obedient Servant

From there, it might be easier to enjoy the rest, including both different versions and real other songs.
peter radiator Posted - 09/19/2016 : 15:01:46
Hmmmm...

I actually adore NSE.

It just hit me the right way from the first listen.

What is it in particular about that record that you did not care for, Sprite?

Is it something you could easily put into words?

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Sprite Posted - 09/19/2016 : 14:38:15
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Jesus. The Golem is a classic to me. NSE an underrated gem. Barely revisit Petit Fours despite enjoying it back in the day while the extremely irritating radio presenter commentary put me off even attempting to listen to the whole of the second album. And I'm someone who ordinarily laps up everything the Man touches.

Neither of really them really clicked with me. Especially NSE. I've listened to Abbadubba and Paley & Francis more than NSE. I may not have persevered enough with Golem. I have the DVD but not watched it, I should do that.
Bedbug Posted - 09/19/2016 : 11:31:54
Great album
The Maharal Posted - 09/19/2016 : 11:30:59
Jesus. The Golem is a classic to me. NSE an underrated gem. Barely revisit Petit Fours despite enjoying it back in the day while the extremely irritating radio presenter commentary put me off even attempting to listen to the whole of the second album. And I'm someone who ordinarily laps up everything the Man touches.
Sprite Posted - 09/19/2016 : 10:46:13
Agreed. Much prefer them to NSE or even Golem.
picpic Posted - 09/19/2016 : 04:55:37
Their second album deserves a reissue, too.

I like many songs on "Let the people speak". Many of them could have been insanely good Pixies songs.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Stevio10 Posted - 07/19/2015 : 00:37:53
I felt compelled to give Petit Fours another listen, it has some great tracks.

Loved all the songs (except maybe Volcano!) some great bass lines and a lot better than I remember it at the time.
pixie punk Posted - 06/06/2014 : 04:20:39
A great fun album indeed.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000