-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Joey in rehab?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BunsenH Posted - 09/16/2016 : 03:00:35
So, apparently the Pixies have announced that Joey will be in rehab for drug and alcohol abuse. The band stated that it will not impact their UK tour, but may affect promotional events for the upcoming album. OK OK. All the best to Joey -- get well soon!
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pixiestu Posted - 10/02/2016 : 00:29:21
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Interesting watching this in light of the recent news about Joey. Hope he's alright and pulls through okay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHqpb6sFWhU

Take me to the vineyards of Lavaux
Want to see the mountains where the waters flow

And now I'm in love with some Portugese interviewer. Thanks for that.

"The arc of triumph"
Helmut Posted - 09/28/2016 : 12:04:53
He's sounding ok, sending messages from rehab. Said Australian tours still on for sure so he is sounding healthier and supported.
Discoking Posted - 09/21/2016 : 22:31:23
take care, joe.

it's educational
The Maharal Posted - 09/21/2016 : 12:56:10
Haha I like that.

Bit of a shock but I guess it fits in with all the (more so than usual) weird interviews and what Baxter Dury said about meeting him and BF.
picpic Posted - 09/21/2016 : 10:48:02
https://twitter.com/JoeySantiago/status/778467366338301952

___
"Service Unavailable"
Broken Face Posted - 09/21/2016 : 04:51:38
I think Linda's note is pretty awesome.

Best of luck, Joe.

- Brian
picpic Posted - 09/20/2016 : 21:47:36
Joey has always been uncomfortable/weird in interviews anyway.

___
"Service Unavailable"
sdon Posted - 09/20/2016 : 13:34:07
Ouch
The armchair was harmed during this interview :)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
johnnyribcage Posted - 09/20/2016 : 13:05:40
Interesting watching this in light of the recent news about Joey. Hope he's alright and pulls through okay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHqpb6sFWhU

Ecto Posted - 09/17/2016 : 16:04:33
I had no idea..... I admire his family and friends for being so public and positive about this. Health and family first. Best wishes to Joey and his family.
johnnyribcage Posted - 09/17/2016 : 11:31:28
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

It sounds silly, but I actually feet a bit shocked to hear about this! Aside from Kim's drug and alcohol problems, which have gotten a lot of coverage, the band otherwise always seemed quite clean-living (yes, they apparently smoked a ton of dope back in the day, but that's hardly hard drug use). I think it's Joey' concern for David in LoudQUIETloud - gently reprimanding him for indulging in valium and wine (during a very difficult period, obviously) that makes this even more surprising. They're a hard-working band who tour a lot, getting on stage is obviously a great buzz but it must be extremely stressful at times. In any case, all the best to Joey.

When I first saw this I was like, "What??? Joey?" and basically for the same reason as you stated. I was about to type something up but you basically said exactly what I was going to say.

So, all I will say, is my thoughts are with Joey, his family, friends, and band. Get well man, you've still got a lot of work to do and a lot of life to live.

Sprite Posted - 09/16/2016 : 21:51:36
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

It sounds silly, but I actually feet a bit shocked to hear about this! Aside from Kim's drug and alcohol problems, which have gotten a lot of coverage, the band otherwise always seemed quite clean-living (yes, they apparently smoked a ton of dope back in the day, but that's hardly hard drug use). I think it's Joey' concern for David in LoudQUIETloud - gently reprimanding him for indulging in valium and wine (during a very difficult period, obviously) that makes this even more surprising. They're a hard-working band who tour a lot, getting on stage is obviously a great buzz but it must be extremely stressful at times. In any case, all the best to Joey.

Yes I was shocked as well for the exact reasons you say but I know a few people in who are functioning alcoholics, on the outside living a normal life but in reality dependent on a substance. Anyway good on him for going to get help, it took some courage to make that call with the pressure of the album promotion starting to ramp up big time.

cptnpasty Posted - 09/16/2016 : 21:34:16
Strength and all the best to all concerned

www.alotofwind.com
Carl Posted - 09/16/2016 : 21:23:54
Helmut Posted - 09/16/2016 : 21:13:43
From Linda Mallari his ex wife:

I’d like to Post this article so you will be aware that “YES” I have seen it. Thank You to those who have reached out in Private.
I have heard nothing but kind words today ,with many of you extending so much Love and emotional support to Me and my Kids.
Even though Joe and I are divorced, we are still heavily connected with raising our Children and the Burden of this Crisis is very Heavy on all of us right now.

This does not only affect the person in Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation , but the ENTIRE Family and close friends.
It is also a Recovery PROGRAM that we ALL have to PARTICIPATE in (including the kids) to Make amends with the Past and ensure that
This Disease stops HERE and does not trickle-down through generations and continue forward.

We are not approaching Joe’s Recovery as “Shameful” It is a "NEW BEGINNING" that we are ALL rejoicing in and have been praying for him to do for a LONG time. This will make ALL of our lives more peaceful and secure, as well as those who work and travel with him.
That is how we are approaching this . A NEW JOYFUL BEGINNING. Words of Encouragement and Love go a LONG way.

I would like to ask you all to be mindful that our children would like to retain THEIR OWN “Autonomy” in this matter .
Autonomy: Meaning THEY ARE NOT THEIR FATHER. Their worst fear is that ,now that this is in a Public Forum and not a Private Family matter, they will be Judged at school by their teachers,friends , friends’ parents.Strangers and new-comers in their lives because of this. I have assured them that other people's "Judgement" is only due to lack of education and ignorance on the matter. They should hold their heads up high and Be THEMSELVES... They are Beautiful human-beings.

Please be respectful when discussing this in front of your kids as this is a Disease that affects millions of people in the world, their families,
friends and communities. Educate yourselves and your Children so they have a better sense of what it means to be the Person with the Addiction and ALSO to be directly affected by the person with the Addiction. Hopefully by this going Public it will encourage others to seek the Help they need and deserve.

Thank You to the PIXIES for also encouraging Joe to make this change. Their new album is absolutely amazing and they have cancelled many TV, Radio and Promotional events for the album in order to stand by Joe during his Recovery .

Change for the Better is a Wonderful Thing for EVERYONE. We are asking for Empathy ,Compassion and Love right now during this very Challenging time. SEND YOUR LOVE TO JOE .

Love to you all
-Linda Mallari
Helmut Posted - 09/16/2016 : 20:57:52
Dave was a bit of a greener when he supported the Catholics doing his magic so it's going way back. The Joey thing took me by surprise, although he did say he was on anti depressants after the Pixies broke up so maybe a combination of a divorce, Pixies pressures or something else led to self medication. Surprised they made it so public, in Australia we say that's poor form.I hope he's ok and he rejoins the band, it's not the Pixies without him.
picpic Posted - 09/16/2016 : 12:20:46
The "dopehead" comment was from after Indie Cindy if I remember correctly. From some "insider"... And I noticed Dave indeed acts a bit strange from time to ttime. Don't know if we should worry or not. After all, I act a bit strange from time to time, too. We all do.

___
"Service Unavailable"
PixieSteve Posted - 09/16/2016 : 11:55:18
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Someone said on this forum a while ago that Dave was a "dopehead" - hope this is all false information. Kind of confusing. For a long time, I thought the Pixies were the cleanest/most sober band ever except for Deal

the loud quiet loud documentary covers a bit of dave's substance abuse at the start of their reunion. maybe that's what the forum person was referring to? from memory it leaves you with the impression it was nipped in the bud but who knows
Fissile Posted - 09/16/2016 : 11:15:50
So everyone thought that Paz was the new Kim when in reality Joey is the new Kim?
picpic Posted - 09/16/2016 : 10:31:31
Someone said on this forum a while ago that Dave was a "dopehead" - hope this is all false information. Kind of confusing. For a long time, I thought the Pixies were the cleanest/most sober band ever except for Deal. I wish them the best, and I don't care if they have to cancel shows/performances/appearances or whatever for the new album, they need to take care of their health first. And it's really nice to read all the words of encouragement to Joey on social media right now. If you have twitter/facebook, let's send him some support. I'm sure he reads it all.

___
"Service Unavailable"
BunsenH Posted - 09/16/2016 : 08:01:35
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I have to admit Joey and Dave behaviour in interviews were always a bit odd lately. And Joey's playing was really off in recent shows. Let's wish them the best.

___
"Service Unavailable"

I've noticed the same. At least now we know the cause -- and I assume his performance will improve! But, most important, Joey is getting help. Go Joey!
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 09/16/2016 : 07:35:54
Sorry to hear about this but glad he's getting help.
picpic Posted - 09/16/2016 : 05:37:37
I have to admit Joey and Dave behaviour in interviews were always a bit odd lately. And Joey's playing was really off in recent shows. Let's wish them the best.

___
"Service Unavailable"
stuczuba Posted - 09/16/2016 : 05:02:53
Shit, just when it was all coming together :(

Get well Joey!
natenate101 Posted - 09/16/2016 : 04:57:56
All the best to Joey in his recovery.
picpic Posted - 09/16/2016 : 04:55:13
Get well soon Joey.

Checking in rehab and admitting this kind of issue is probably the hardest step. So let's consider this a positive news.

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 09/16/2016 : 03:51:40
Sending positive vibes to Joey on his road to recovery.All the best to Pixies from La Isla Del Encanto.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
trevgreg Posted - 09/16/2016 : 03:14:27
Best wishes to Joey and everyone in his life as he tackles this situation head-on.
BunsenH Posted - 09/16/2016 : 03:02:40
Via Facebook:

"We need to confirm that Joey Santiago has checked into a rehabilitation center for at least 30 days to treat his alcohol and drug issues.

This is the best thing that Joey could have done, and we’re very proud that he’s taken this step, and we ask everyone to support Joey while he’s on this road to recovery.

We fully intend to tour the UK and Europe this November and December, however Joey's time in rehab will affect some of the our planned promotional activities to support the new album release.

Thank you.
Black Francis, David Lovering, Paz Lenchantin"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000