-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Bossanova

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
allison Posted - 04/01/2006 : 22:34:51
"the stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone".
Bossanova is Black Francis' Pet Sounds.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BunsenH Posted - 09/20/2016 : 11:26:05
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

There's no weak moment on Bossanova
Even Havalina is a very strong closer

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"

"Havalina" is one of my favorites, actually. Loved that I got to hear it live when they dusted it off for the gigs with Kim S.
sdon Posted - 09/18/2016 : 11:58:01
There's no weak moment on Bossanova
Even Havalina is a very strong closer

--
picpic Posted - 09/18/2016 : 11:35:48
Stormy Weather is epic. It's all about the athmosphere. You can feel the clouds, the storm and the rain.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Fitzy Posted - 09/18/2016 : 11:10:41
Velouria among the weakest of the bunch. That's crazy tallk, but it goes to show just how strong the album is. Stormy Weather is the only one that doesn't do much for me.

Down to the well is let down by the album version, IMO. It's not the greatest song BF has penned, but the early versions, with a faster tempo and deranged yelps give the song an extra bite.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 09/18/2016 : 09:02:06
Bossanova is a great album with not one but two epic songs in All Over The World & The Happening. The weakest tracks on it for me, are Velouria, Down To The Well and Dig For Fire but it's still such a great record. I remember listening to Is She Weird over and over again, just rocking out to it.

Perhaps the best art on any Pixies album as well.

And Rock Music, a song that is encompasses the title...!

cheers
Sprite Posted - 09/12/2016 : 10:50:48
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

All over the world & The hapenning are epic rides. AOTW ending is mesmerizing.

___
"Service Unavailable"

There's that great quote from Bob Mould on Trompe le Monde (the song) saying there's more creativity in it than many bands discographies. I feel that same about AOTW, the ending was spine-tingling the first time I heard it in that late summer in 1990 and still makes me feel exactly the same all these years later.

Wasn't the Bob Mould quote about the first four songs from TLM? Not that Trompe Le Monde (song) isn't brimming with creativity. Either way, he was right.

'All Over The World' also has that neat trick FBF used to do, which was start with a chord progression, then go off in a tangent mid-song, and then, somehow, end the song with the first idea (kind of like comedians, trying to tie earlier jokes at the end of a set, the human brain seems to respond favorably to that sort of thing), either with the exact same chords, or same chord progression but in another key.

This type of songwriting from FBF, which he mainly did in his early work (I don't remember anything similar to this "technique" after 'Living on Soul')?), has always amazed me, thinking how talented the guy is, and hearing the songs now, they still manage to give me chills because it always trips my brain, and I start "Wait, what?", even if I'm half-expecting it. 'I Bleed' is another example. Still don't understand what they're doing on that one.

Voila!

"When I heard the new Pixies record [Trompe Le Monde] I was kind of jealous. In its first four minutes the record lays out more ideas than some bands do in their careers. Pixies records are a big challenge. You've really got to dig in. a 6/8 break with a walkie-talkie? Critics might hone in on that, but I'm not sure if everyone gets it. And there's this great turn, a phrase, it's kind of like the "Popcorn" break, it just comes along at a perfect time." (Bob Mould in Musician)

So we were both half right. Great website site though in case others have not seen it before

http://aleceiffel.free.fr/index_alec.html
sdon Posted - 09/12/2016 : 09:05:24
quote:

AOTW, Rock Music & Hang Wire are the highlights of Bossanova for me.

Same for me
I very much like Velouria, Dig for Fire, Is She Weird, The Happening, Blown Away...
But this trio is my favourite

--
PixieSteve Posted - 09/12/2016 : 08:53:54
bossanova was my first pixies album after my introduction with the death to the pixies compilation, and it definitely took longer to get into. the worst thing about best ofs is how they colour your experience of the rest of the material. for a little while it feels like filler. but yeah, 15 years later and i love it.
i remember when all over the world clicked for the first time. i was at a house party, a little drunk, and it was the loudest i'd listened to it. became transfixed by my sudden and first time awareness of its epic quality :')
OLDMANOTY Posted - 09/12/2016 : 08:22:18
quote:

'All Over The World' also has that neat trick FBF used to do, which was start with a chord progression, then go off in a tangent mid-song, and then, somehow, end the song with the first idea (kind of like comedians, trying to tie earlier jokes at the end of a set, the human brain seems to respond favorably to that sort of thing), either with the exact same chords, or same chord progression but in another key.

AOTW is one of those Pixies songs that never seems to get any recognition - it, Rock Music & Hang Wire are the highlights of Bossanova for me.

I remember when Bossanova came out it wasn't very warmly received (not dissimilar to IC's reception a couple of years ago) - the nokimnodeal people tend to forget details like this. Admittedly I was disappointed at the time - it sounded a bit lightweight, too smooth & insubstantial to me after what had come before. It remains my least favourite 'classic' Pixies album but I appreciate it far more now than I did in 1990.
Fitzy Posted - 09/11/2016 : 11:34:31
Yup, forgot about that one. Great song, too.
hammerhands Posted - 09/10/2016 : 10:59:28
"I don't remember anything similar to this "technique" after 'Living on Soul"

Massif Central
Fitzy Posted - 09/10/2016 : 10:55:46
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

There's that great quote from Bob Mould on Trompe le Monde (the song) saying there's more creativity in it than many bands discographies. I feel that same about AOTW, the ending was spine-tingling the first time I heard it in that late summer in 1990 and still makes me feel exactly the same all these years later.

Wasn't the Bob Mould quote about the first four songs from TLM? Not that Trompe Le Monde (song) isn't brimming with creativity. Either way, he was right.

This type of songwriting from FBF, which he mainly did in his early work (I don't remember anything similar to this "technique" after 'Living on Soul')?), has always amazed me, thinking how talented the guy is, and hearing the songs now, they still manage to give me chills because it always trips my brain, and I start "Wait, what?", even if I'm half-expecting it. 'I Bleed' is another example. Still don't understand what they're doing on that one.
Sprite Posted - 09/10/2016 : 04:36:47
quote:

___
"Service Unavailable"

PixieSteve Posted - 09/10/2016 : 00:07:45
you're right about is she weird. as i was describing the category i realised it didn't quite fit it. but to me there is still something slightly... 'weird' about it which sets it apart for me

nice observation about the guitar
picpic Posted - 09/09/2016 : 20:02:38
I'll place Is she weird in the 3rd category. Did you notice Joey plays a different "lead" part on each chorus. 1st same as rythm part. 2nd solo. 3rd bends. Joey does that on a few other Pixies songs (Sad Punk for example). I really like those leads.

___
"Service Unavailable"
PixieSteve Posted - 09/09/2016 : 15:07:28
Does anyone else group these three songs:
Is She Weird
All Over The World
The Happening

As a bit more proggy, longer, more space to try things out, a few different parts to them, more thought about the arrangement, also quite moody songs, with a strong 'feel' about them.

Then there are a bunch of dreamy, spacey and simpler songs:
Ana
Blown Away
Stormy Weather
Havalina

Then some of the rock, pop, let's have a blast songs:
Cecellia Ann
Rock Music
Velouria
Allison
Dig For Fire
Hang Wire

pot Posted - 08/28/2016 : 12:00:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgmbfXld3z8
pot Posted - 08/28/2016 : 11:59:00
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Happy birthday Bossanova! 26 today

Never forget buying that album, or hearing it in what used to be a record shop in Dumfries (now Farmfoods). Or listening to it on the train back from Glasgow in 1991 the day after the legendary fuck up gig.

The only album I have ever bought on tape, CD and vinyl. Still got the CD.

Flatmate decided to pour beer on my tape copy one night. CD was later. Vinyl copy was from a charity shop a few years ago, now sold with all my vinyl because I lost money on poker.
sdon Posted - 08/13/2016 : 10:21:51
quote:
Originally posted by Blackhead

Pixies got better with age... I like a handful of Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim songs, but for me the Pixies didn't take off until Doolittle (and from there, they just continued to get better).

If Doolittle's 5 (if Doolittle's 5, if Doolittle's 5),
then Bosanova is six (Bosanova is six, Bosanova is six);
and if Bosanova is six, then Trompe is seven (then Trompe is Seven. then Trompe is seven)

Exactly
Pilgrim is 3
Surfer is 4
Doolittle is 5
Bossa is 6
Trompe is 7

and Pilgrim at 3 is already 10/10

--
Stevio10 Posted - 08/13/2016 : 01:36:56
Happy birthday Bossanova! 26 today
jamjamski Posted - 04/21/2006 : 14:23:35
Listen "stormy weather" it is brilliant. Bossanova really good pop rock music. Hey blackhead - nice idea. I love PIxIES
Blackhead Posted - 04/16/2006 : 21:46:50
Pixies got better with age... I like a handful of Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim songs, but for me the Pixies didn't take off until Doolittle (and from there, they just continued to get better).

If Doolittle's 5 (if Doolittle's 5, if Doolittle's 5),
then Bosanova is six (Bosanova is six, Bosanova is six);
and if Bosanova is six, then Trompe is seven (then Trompe is Seven. then Trompe is seven)
Holy Fingers Posted - 04/08/2006 : 06:42:37
Bossanova is a very well-rounded album. This album seemed to be the most relaxed in its overall tone and dynamics. Whereas Come On Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa and Doolittle BARELY offered the listener a chance to breathe, Bossanova has plenty of oxygen. It also houses one of my all-time favorite songs, Hang Wire. This song has a razor-sharp lead guitar and a sense of urgency matched only by songs like Isla de Encanta, Vamos and Alec Eiffel.

"When you've done something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 04/07/2006 : 08:51:33
Amen, Ataris. Such a great song, I especially love the end.

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
soundofataris Posted - 04/07/2006 : 08:42:13
All Over the World makes this album for me.

---------------------------------------
i try to be mallory but i'm still skippy
Carl Posted - 04/06/2006 : 18:18:28
Every mornin' and every day...

pas de dutchie!
The Holiday Son Posted - 04/06/2006 : 10:24:10
Bossanova has always been my favourite Pixies record hence my favourite record ever.
I'm glad it gets credits here and I'm tired of Bossanova and Trompe being labelled as minor compared to surfer and doolittle.
billgoodman Posted - 04/06/2006 : 09:46:59
The best pop record ever

---------------------------
God save the Noisies
ccuadros Posted - 04/06/2006 : 08:35:08
For me, it's the best Pixies record.

Saludos
Ziggy Posted - 04/06/2006 : 08:17:54
Oh, I love this album. The production doesn't put me off in the slightest. The only shame, as with all the Pixies records, is that they're mastered too quietly.
vilainde Posted - 04/06/2006 : 07:34:47
Might be my least fave Pixies record, but what does that mean? I'm not the hugest fan of Blown Away and Hang Wire, but the rest is ace.

Denis

I love Guitar Wolf from the Erath!
Broken Face Posted - 04/06/2006 : 07:28:03
The album would be timeless if not housed in the trendy production of the era - too tinny and processed for my ears.

But GREAT songs

-Brian
ccuadros Posted - 04/06/2006 : 07:04:53
If you want to hear a good concert from this era, go here:

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14737&whichpage=27

enjoy!
Levitated Posted - 04/02/2006 : 15:29:56
My favorite album too, but that version of Down to the Well is not the best :(
pixiestu Posted - 04/02/2006 : 13:23:32
Actually, I'm listening to the album and I was probably wrong about 'Hang Wire'. I forgot how good it was. I change my mind too easily!

"The arc of triumph"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000