-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Baal's Back

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
wilson Posted - 07/22/2016 : 04:14:25
What's everyones opinion?

https://youtu.be/RfTvbaPchuY?t=40m1s

FB screaming 'are you saving all your precious love for me?' is my favourite moment on the record.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
natenate101 Posted - 08/20/2016 : 21:37:40
I really like BF's vocals in this performance.
https://youtu.be/DOrLGUXVw78
johnnyribcage Posted - 08/06/2016 : 14:49:44
quote:
Originally posted by Gramoul Zlu

At some point, I guess it was at the beginning of the 2013 tour with Kim Shattuck, I was quite worried he was going to burn himself as the shows always seemed so intense to me then, but time as proven me wrong and there must be a way to do that(at least for Black Francis!!) because he does actually still deliver insanely. Maybe part of the explanation could be found with the "bel canto" lessons he took with his neighbour before Dog in the Sand(if I remember well), you know, understanding how to adjust the output of your voice so it sounds the way you want without being painful, that kind of stuff.

Anyway, Black Francis always was an awesome performer, and has a real talent for voice modulation, seemed pretty obvious to me when I saw him live solo acoustic in 2003: how much energy his singing can have without the intensity being exactly equivalent to "loudness". He sure worked his balance an incredible way through the years, and that might be the reason why he's still able to kick ass that much ;0

Great post man!

Yeah I haven't looked into his technique that much, but it's interesting. I'm listening to IC tonight and it's really sounding nice. Really a great album, and some really great vox and lyrics by the man. I can't wait for the new album!

My density has popped me to you.
Gramoul Zlu Posted - 08/06/2016 : 05:17:18
At some point, I guess it was at the beginning of the 2013 tour with Kim Shattuck, I was quite worried he was going to burn himself as the shows always seemed so intense to me then, but time as proven me wrong and there must be a way to do that(at least for Black Francis!!) because he does actually still deliver insanely. Maybe part of the explanation could be found with the "bel canto" lessons he took with his neighbour before Dog in the Sand(if I remember well), you know, understanding how to adjust the output of your voice so it sounds the way you want without being painful, that kind of stuff.

Anyway, Black Francis always was an awesome performer, and has a real talent for voice modulation, seemed pretty obvious to me when I saw him live solo acoustic in 2003: how much energy his singing can have without the intensity being exactly equivalent to "loudness". He sure worked his balance an incredible way through the years, and that might be the reason why he's still able to kick ass that much ;0
johnnyribcage Posted - 08/06/2016 : 01:10:41
quote:
Originally posted by Gramoul Zlu

I guess assuming you have the proper skill and ability to perform this way, singing the whole song like that can be less risky to control the outcome than alternating between different styles.

Not only does he sings Baal but followed it by 'Rock Music' and 'Tame' on some gigs. I agree for the Hexe reference!

I wonder how he has managed to retain that power all these years. How can he scream at that level night after night for decades and still have any pipes at all? It's a pretty amazing and rare gift.

My density has popped me to you.
Gramoul Zlu Posted - 07/22/2016 : 13:33:29
I guess assuming you have the proper skill and ability to perform this way, singing the whole song like that can be less risky to control the outcome than alternating between different styles.

Not only does he sings Baal but followed it by 'Rock Music' and 'Tame' on some gigs. I agree for the Hexe reference!
picpic Posted - 07/22/2016 : 10:06:11
Baals is Blue-Eyed Hexe bridge vocal growl made into a whole song.

Oddly enough, nobody stated the AC-DC similitude this time.

Frank said Blue-Eyed Hexe was a though one to sing in a periscope Q&A last year. I'm astonished he manages to sing Baals so loud, with all this power in his voice. Great, great, great.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Gramoul Zlu Posted - 07/22/2016 : 08:19:14
Mine is "You'll know that it's me" / "No difference to me" but the chorus sure is catchy as hell.

Someone mentionned this reminding him/her 'I Want Rock'n'Roll', probably for the phrasing of lyrics, but noisy aspect aside, some of the melodical progression and the tempo on this live version made me think of 'You ain't me' actually.

Anyway my favorite of the new songs I heard so far, by far. Can't wait to hear the album version.
sdon Posted - 07/22/2016 : 06:17:50
I like them, but prefer the repeated "baal's back" line at the end

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
natenate101 Posted - 07/22/2016 : 04:36:16
quote:
Originally posted by wilson

What's everyones opinion?

https://youtu.be/RfTvbaPchuY?t=40m1s

FB screaming 'are you saving all your precious love for me?' is my favourite moment on the record.

I've enjoyed the chorus a lot, but need to hear the studio version to see how his voice sounds on it. The "are you saving"s sound like they will stuck in head, in a good way.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000