-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Pixies Live - Lisbon 07-07-2016

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fitzy Posted - 07/07/2016 : 17:54:30
Just got back from the concert, a music festival, where they were headlining day one.

Great performance, amazing light sow and rocking setlist. This was definitely the toughest and tightest performance I've seen of the band, they didn't say a word to the crowd (as usual) and didn't add a single measure or any extended parts to a song (except on Vamos, but, you know..). So, no encore, which is fine, considering the songs that were played.

Whether this was sign that the band didn't enjoy themselves, or that the crowd was expecting a different type of setlist, I don't know, I would lean toward the latter, as the band seems to be done with the Pixies-play-all-the-hits setlist, and just rushed into kicking everyone's ass.

Interestingly, the reacting from the crowd to the new songs from Head Carrier seemed to be much more positive (they played UCL, Head Carrier, Classic Masher and Baal's Back), compared to the mostly lukewarm reaction that songs from Indie Cindy received (Greens and Blues being the exception).

The new songs sounded awesome! Again, they seem to have taken all the extra fat from the early versions that we've heard a year ago, and turned them into lean, mean rocking beasts. But from Wilson's posts, these songs would be the minority from the new album

Don't have a setlist, from memory:

Bone Machine
Head On
Head Carrier (Very cool song, possibly my favorite from the new ones)
Monkey Gone to Heaven
Broken Face
Wave of Mutilation
Subbacultcha
D=RxT
Indie Cindy
Tony's Theme
Velouria
Snakes
I bleed
Greens and Blues
Dead
UCL (still silly and fun, much better than the early version)
Tame
Brick is Red
Classic Masher (not a huge fan of the solo version, this one is fantastic)
Gouge Away
Vamos
Baal's Back (holy shit)
WIMM
HCYM
Debaser
Rock Music

Very excited for the new album.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BunsenH Posted - 07/21/2016 : 12:44:22
The kind folks at Pitchfork have "debuted" the three new tracks from this performance as standalones:

http://pitchfork.com/news/66975-watch-pixies-debut-new-head-carrier-songs/

Maybe more convenient than having the whole concert... for some of us.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 07/18/2016 : 09:30:39
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

I'm not sure if I would like to hear older songs played differently.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Picture if they took the bridge of Cactus and just stretched it out, letting Joey solo for a while, or maybe give the spotlight to Paz, coming up with different counter melodies on her bass while Dave thunders along. Or just keeping the groove in Motorway going at the end or transforming the end of Debaser into a chance for Joey to solo; not the noise display in Vamos, but for him to offer up his version of a more typical guitar solo.

Not every song needs to be a 7 min jam but a few more could be expanded. I really liked when they made Dave keep the outro going in La La Love You.

cheers
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 07/18/2016 : 09:27:25
quote:

I'd rather hear a lot of new songs. More and more. Even a show full of new songs (or classic FB ones played by the Pixies) would be OK. Or older "lost" songs (like all the lost Trompe drop-D gems). But that's a die-hard fan request. Minority opinion too, I guess

___
"Service Unavailable"

Definitely sounds like a minority opinion. Are the Pixies at that point where most people who go to shows want to hear "the hits?" Probably. I think more people would've been into new music had it come out back in '07.

cheers
picpic Posted - 07/18/2016 : 06:45:57
I'm not sure if I would like to hear older songs played differently. I'd rather hear a lot of new songs. More and more. Even a show full of new songs (or classic FB ones played by the Pixies) would be OK. Or older "lost" songs (like all the lost Trompe drop-D gems). But that's a die-hard fan request. Minority opinion too, I guess

___
"Service Unavailable"
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 07/18/2016 : 06:30:05
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm
It's my one criticism of the Pixies as a live unit. I understand (I think) their reasoning for keeping to strict versions of the songs but it always disappointed me. I guess my other criticism would be the show's duration; 2 hour or 2 hour 20 min shows seem to fit a band of their age and stature instead of 90 minutes.

While they have varied it up a bit in the past, I'd enjoy it more if they Vamos'd more songs.

Perhaps a minority opinion amongst the fans.

cheers

I saw a few recent setlists, they sometimes play 30+ songs (!). That's a lot. They rush through all the songs without saying anything. So they probably can't play much more than that with a limited stage time on festivals.

Personaly I'm fine with the number of songs. But I'd like to hear much more Bossanova/Trompe stuff. But they're probably fed up with fans requests. "Please comme to my country !", "Please don't change your sound", "Why don't you play this song ?". We have no chance to be heard.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Good point about the number of songs, they do play a lot. It's almost Ramones-style. But I'd take less songs with more musical variation.

cheers
pixie punk Posted - 07/18/2016 : 02:00:29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2-sgqzE7wU CM.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
pixie punk Posted - 07/18/2016 : 01:56:23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWKDZeULor4 HC.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
picpic Posted - 07/18/2016 : 01:19:41
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm
It's my one criticism of the Pixies as a live unit. I understand (I think) their reasoning for keeping to strict versions of the songs but it always disappointed me. I guess my other criticism would be the show's duration; 2 hour or 2 hour 20 min shows seem to fit a band of their age and stature instead of 90 minutes.

While they have varied it up a bit in the past, I'd enjoy it more if they Vamos'd more songs.

cheers

I saw a few recent setlists, they sometimes play 30+ songs (!). That's a lot. They rush through all the songs without saying anything. So they probably can't play much more than that with a limited stage time on festivals.

Personaly I'm fine with the number of songs. But I'd like to hear much more Bossanova/Trompe stuff. But they're probably fed up with fans requests. "Please comme to my country !", "Please don't change your sound", "Why don't you play this song ?". We have no chance to be heard.

___
"Service Unavailable"
pixie punk Posted - 07/18/2016 : 00:38:21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=strfx56Sww4 BB

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 07/16/2016 : 17:31:18
On a positive note, it's great to see the return of Tony's Theme and Velvety Instrumental Version. I always preferred that to the Catholics version with lyrics.

cheers
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 07/16/2016 : 17:30:42
quote:
Originally posted by Fitzy

and didn't add a single measure or any extended parts to a song (except on Vamos, but, you know..).

cheers
picpic Posted - 07/13/2016 : 18:18:09
They play most songs in a fastest and "dirtier" way now. Punk pixies on this tour.

___
"Service Unavailable"
natenate101 Posted - 07/13/2016 : 12:36:18
Increased tempo helps most IC songs. Wish the studio versions were sped up a bit.

The guitar sound on HC is very Silver Snail-like to me.
sdon Posted - 07/13/2016 : 12:34:41
Those versions are impressive:
Head Carrier (there's indeed some Bossanova feel to it, but not only)
Indie Cindy (better than last tour)
Um Chagga Lagga (very much mastered)
Classic Masher (superb, emphatic)
Baal's Back (nice to finally hear the short intro)
Snakes
Broken Face
Greens and Blues (fast, such a good bpm)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
picpic Posted - 07/13/2016 : 11:37:28
Baals @40:00

___
"Service Unavailable"
Broken Face Posted - 07/13/2016 : 11:35:43
Thanks!

The fact that the audio is slightly out of sync is driving me crazy, but I continue to watch it.

- Brian
yarbles Posted - 07/13/2016 : 11:21:04
YES!!!!

Thanks for posting!

These new songs sound great.... can not wait to blast them loud from my stereo... especially Baal's Back. wow.

I'm so happy Pixies are back :)
picpic Posted - 07/13/2016 : 11:15:29
Holy shit... HC.... Favourite so far. lots of things happening in this one.

___
"Service Unavailable"
natenate101 Posted - 07/13/2016 : 10:37:05
Head Carrier sounds pretty good. Seems like Joey's guitar work on these songs will be shown more on the studio versions. Thanks for sharing.
rivum Posted - 07/13/2016 : 10:12:28
awesome!
sdon Posted - 07/13/2016 : 10:12:00
Classic Masher at 28:20 just sounds so... classic
The intro is almost velouriesque

--
pixie punk Posted - 07/13/2016 : 10:09:52
My Head just got Carried away.Awesome!!!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
sdon Posted - 07/13/2016 : 10:09:52
And this version of Um Chagga Lagga is faster and angrier than the studio version!
Nice to see that among those 30 songs, 7 are post-reunion penned

--
sdon Posted - 07/13/2016 : 09:58:00
Head Carrier is at 10:35 :)

--
sdon Posted - 07/13/2016 : 09:54:55
Wow!

--
pixie punk Posted - 07/13/2016 : 09:47:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfTvbaPchuY FULL CONCERT HD.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
yarbles Posted - 07/13/2016 : 08:39:09
Nope. Paz looks great.
Jason Bravo Posted - 07/13/2016 : 07:02:02
The band sounds really good, but I think Paz needs to put on a few pounds.
pixie punk Posted - 07/13/2016 : 01:45:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29fVOajZZRY Tame.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
pixie punk Posted - 07/13/2016 : 01:34:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2VkSU3Ww2o Classic Masher,enjoy!!!

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
picpic Posted - 07/09/2016 : 20:31:10
Tony.s Theme... First time with Paz ?

Joey's Duesenberg has a really different sound than his usual LPs.

___
"Service Unavailable"
natenate101 Posted - 07/09/2016 : 19:51:06
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

A ~6 second clip of Head Carrier:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHmPSxxjflW/

I THINK this is another clip of Head Carrier. Is that what what Black Francis says? I'm not sure. Perhaps Fitzy, Wilson or someone else who has heard it can confirm?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHk4haPDfaX/

Definitely got an old-school Pixies sound.

That second clip really makes me want to hear Head Carrier. I dig the way BF sings it and the drums just before he does so. I think Wilson mentioned that one had a driving bassline as well which seems apparent in the video.
McDutchie Posted - 07/09/2016 : 12:29:47
quote:
Originally posted by AneuploidVoid

Last half of the show.

https://m.facebook.com/feswebcast/?refid=52&__tn__=C

Great find! It's got:

* final bit of I Bleed
* Broken Face
* 01:43 Greens and Blues
* 05:27 Brick is Red (not Joey's best there :/)
* 07:33 Tony's Theme
* 09:26 I've Been Tired
* 12:23 Tame (video skipping a couple times)
* 14:32 Where Is My Mind
* 18:50 Here Comes Your Man (more skipping)
* 22:20 Vamos
* 28:30 Caribou
* 31:50 Debaser
* 34:46 Rock Music

No new songs. Was hoping for Baals. :(
AneuploidVoid Posted - 07/09/2016 : 11:42:05
Last half of the show.

https://m.facebook.com/feswebcast/?refid=52&__tn__=C
yarbles Posted - 07/09/2016 : 10:09:10
Ugh, what's with all the 5 second samples of new songs? Come on concert goers, we're depending on you to get videos of entire new songs for us, we're going nuts here!!!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000