-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Happy Halloween blackfrancis.net

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hammerhands Posted - 10/31/2014 : 07:19:54
This is a great way to wake up!

28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stevio10 Posted - 02/08/2023 : 03:13:04
Anyway to still get these mp3s? I've lost mine over the years
IBreed Posted - 11/19/2014 : 05:34:13
o shit, Frank is the man.
velvety Posted - 11/09/2014 : 11:47:53
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
Originally posted by velvety

quote:

quote:

So much potential in O Little Cloud. Joey's guitar NEEDS to be in there.

You mean Dave Phillips, right?

If that means this song not being on a Pixies album, then no. Even if I really like Phillips' work on BF solo albums.

I don't know what a Pixies song is supposed to "sound" like these days, but I'll take the strange tunes over some of the more poppier songs that ended being on Indie Cindy. So Joey's would be my guy to flesh out the eery, surf-rock vibe that this one has going on.

I suspect this is not gonna be popular, but I'm not a huge fan of what Joey did on Indie Cindy. I think he totally nailed What Goes Boom and the heaviest songs, and he's great on the title track. But there are some other tunes when I'm not impressed. Joey's great on doing weird stuff - the Vamos solo - but for good old punk rock guitar solos you need a Catholic.

Denis

Out of curiosity, what are the songs on Indie Cindy you were not impressed with Joey's work?
Meesimo Posted - 11/04/2014 : 18:29:45
What a wicked surprise, thanks for passing these along.
Full band versions would be great,
But these are already awesome.
Great raw energy on these demos.

So this appears to be (3 of 10) from the recently recorded album
mentioned by Jeremy Dubs on the Facebook a little while back

Meesimo
1965 Posted - 11/04/2014 : 10:00:34
quote:

Ho ho ho

sorry, wrong holiday

https://www.sendspace.com/file/jed9xc

Denis

I didn't receive the initial email either, so much appreciated for the link, thanks for sharing! Great tunes by the way ...

I have the key to #902
Discoking Posted - 11/02/2014 : 22:11:38
so according to the tags, the album is called "Super Lecker" (10 tracks)? hehe.

it's educational
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 11/02/2014 : 15:28:35
Totally confused. Did he actually release these??? WTF.
velvety Posted - 11/02/2014 : 13:17:19
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If that means this song not being on a Pixies album, then no. Even if I really like Phillips' work on BF solo albums.

I don't know what a Pixies song is supposed to "sound" like these days, but I'll take the strange tunes over some of the more poppier songs that ended being on Indie Cindy. So Joey's would be my guy to flesh out the eery, surf-rock vibe that this one has going on.

I suspect this is not gonna be popular, but I'm not a huge fan of what Joey did on Indie Cindy. I think he totally nailed What Goes Boom and the heaviest songs, and he's great on the title track. But there are some other tunes when I'm not impressed. Joey's great on doing weird stuff - the Vamos solo - but for good old punk rock guitar solos you need a Catholic.

Denis

Dave Phillips does indeed rock, I've always preferred his style over other BF guitar collaborators (with the exception of Lyle Workman).

Santiago has never been a classic guitarist in that sense, he's always been more interested in adding texture to songs rather than excelling with his solos (am I quoting Bowie here or something??).

Maybe you're right about Phillips doing a better job at punk rock songs, but these new songs (Indie Cindy batch included) are very different from something like Whiskey in Your Shoes.
jake3 Posted - 11/02/2014 : 13:13:46
An iTunes album cover for any neat-freaks out there:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-KwJqLE0lhJg/VFbIZ2JCgBI/AAAAAAAABTA/PlDPfPenKvA/s1048-no/Album%2BCover%2B-%2BHalloween%2B2014%2BDemos.jpg
vilainde Posted - 11/02/2014 : 08:55:37
quote:

quote:

quote:

Denis
sdon Posted - 11/02/2014 : 08:32:33
So from the BMI list of suspected Pixies songs, we still haven't heard (except for TRANSMARINE...)
ALICE PRIN
BANKS OF THE DRAIN-
LAND OF GREEN (maybe it's a preversion of Another Toe?)
PICKEREL PICKER
RATS ALIVE
TRANQUILIZE ME
UNA

Add the 3 Halloween demos, remove Land of Green and add Classic Masher, that makes 10 songs
Maybe that's why those 3 demos are numbered "out of 10"?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
sdon Posted - 11/02/2014 : 08:25:38
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10
Sounds like a new genre, how about 'Black Surf' ?

or Doom Surf :)

--
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 11/02/2014 : 08:06:27
Thanks for sharing!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
hammerhands Posted - 11/02/2014 : 08:00:48
Yes?
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 11/02/2014 : 03:31:21
Was this for real??
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 11/01/2014 : 13:44:23
Happy Halloween!
Stevio10 Posted - 11/01/2014 : 13:07:22
quote:

quote:

quote:

Denis

Sounds like a new genre, how about 'Black Surf' ?
velvety Posted - 11/01/2014 : 12:29:57
quote:

quote:

Denis

vilainde Posted - 10/31/2014 : 22:06:40
quote:

Denis
trobrianders Posted - 10/31/2014 : 17:05:12
Scrummy

velvety Posted - 10/31/2014 : 12:22:15
So much potential in O Little Cloud. Joey's guitar NEEDS to be in there. An album of these eery/dreamy Pixies surf songs, a fan can dream.

The stripped down sound works really great with these, especially O Little Cloud.
sdon Posted - 10/31/2014 : 11:42:07
quote:

Ho ho ho

sorry, wrong holiday

Denis

You made my day and weekend
Liking the sound of these demos
O Little Cloud is nicer than in the recorded solo show version

--
natenate101 Posted - 10/31/2014 : 11:23:33
quote:

Ho ho ho

sorry, wrong holiday

Denis

Much appreciated sir. Glad to see The Man is back at work.
vilainde Posted - 10/31/2014 : 10:10:33
Ho ho ho

sorry, wrong holiday

Denis
vilainde Posted - 10/31/2014 : 10:06:03
"Dear blackfrancis.net customers,

I'd like to say thank you for for your recent purchases here at blackfrancis.net and The Bureau Records. Here is a free download of recent demo recordings I did. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I did making them. A few words about the tracks:

LAST NIGHT THE WOLVES CAME OUT
this song has been demoed several times over the last couple years. It was originally included in potential song list for the Pixies' Indy Cindy LP. It might end up in that repertoire or perhaps a solo LP. The chords started in a train compartment a few years ago on a long snow filled journey across Canada a few years ago. I think I like where the song is headed.

O LITTLE CLOUD
this song was also demoed for INDY CINDY. I've been performing it occasionally at solo shows. I've been talking with my good friend and producer ERIC DREW FELDMAN about how we might record it again in the future.

UM CHAGGA LAGGA
this song originates from the so called "GUN COTTON" song cycle, a collection of songs and ideas for a film being written with JOSH FRANK.

These recent demos were recorded with my friend JEREMY DUBS on drums and backing vocals, and me doing the vocal, guitar and attempted bass guitar.

Happy Halloween!

Black Francis"

Denis
natenate101 Posted - 10/31/2014 : 09:37:23
Can you guys explain? I'm lost.
matto Posted - 10/31/2014 : 09:19:10
very cool and unexpected treat. so there will be a solo record yet?

--------
baby poop, curry
vilainde Posted - 10/31/2014 : 07:51:37
Oh yeah!

Denis

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000