-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Indie Cindy - Death to the Pixies?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pmjk Posted - 06/19/2014 : 05:39:11
Is Indie Cindy in part about Theseus killing the Minotaur?
And the complete collection of Pixies back catalogue is released in the box-set Minotaur.

Is BF trying to kill the beast that is the back catalogue with this new album?

Perhaps Svnfngrs was also intended to be a Pixies EP or mini Album as The Seus is also about Theseus killing the Minotaur.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sprite Posted - 08/15/2015 : 03:43:48
One can but hope! In the meantime you can console yourself with the fact that Bossanova is 25 years old! I only realised after reading this great write up tweeted by Joey.

http://diffuser.fm/25-years-ago-the-pixies-follow-up-doolittle-with-bossanova/
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 08/14/2015 : 16:48:36
Do you think the forum will pick up with a new release?

cheers
Stevio10 Posted - 08/13/2015 : 12:38:51
Great topic! 'Wasted Days and Wasted Nights made me a fucking beggar' -is that a reference to Freddy Fender and his song 'Wasted Days and Wasted Nights' where soon after recording it he was arrested and convicted of marijuana possession which saw his credibility plummet. His rise years later coming from re-recording the song and becoming a hit.

Know BF is a fan of Fender (I Want Rock and Roll) and his work with the Texas Tornados, maybe theres a parallel between Fender and BF with the theme of reinvention.
pmjk Posted - 06/24/2014 : 23:18:10
quote:
Excellent sleuthing! You've just made the whole work a bit more intriguing... I may have to start digging through lyrics.

Thank you Dean.
While you are digging for fire, would you contemplate another podcast?
Would you be wrestling with your own Theseus' paradox without Brian?
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 06/24/2014 : 04:25:16
Excellent sleuthing! You've just made the whole work a bit more intriguing... I may have to start digging through lyrics.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
johnnyribcage Posted - 06/23/2014 : 16:16:44
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

lovely thread, by the way, pmjk. i am amazed.

it's educational

Yes, impressive. I'd love to see the man weigh in on this if he gets a chance. This strikes me as the kind of thing he'd prefer to leave to interpretation though rather than providing definitive answers. Who knows.

Charles?

My density has popped me to you.
Discoking Posted - 06/20/2014 : 03:54:08
lovely thread, by the way, pmjk. i am amazed.

it's educational
Discoking Posted - 06/20/2014 : 03:51:59
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Isn't there a similar "black sail" story in Tristan & Iseult?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

there is, but according to wikipedia, or at least, what i understand from it, they didn't sail with black sails, but instead, tristan was lied to about the colour of the sails.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristan_and_Iseult#Legend
quote:
Tristan sends his friend Kahedin to find Iseult, the only person who can heal him. Tristan tells Kahedin to sail back with white sails if he is bringing Iseult, and black sails if he is not. Iseult agrees to return to Tristan with Kahedin, but Tristan's jealous wife, Iseult of the White Hands, lies to Tristan about the colour of the sails.

it's educational
pmjk Posted - 06/20/2014 : 02:48:53
You took the wind out of my sails Denis.
But then I found this;
http://www.dailycal.org/2014/02/24/pixies-back-sprightly-sound-fox-theater/
"Black Francis has said if there had to be a representative song for the new collection of music, it would be “Indie Cindy.” For this track from EP1, the Pixies draw on the Greek myth of Theseus and the Minotaur to craft an intriguing plea."

I don't know where or in what interview Black Francis has said this, dose anyone know?
vilainde Posted - 06/20/2014 : 00:08:44
Isn't there a similar "black sail" story in Tristan & Iseult?

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
pmjk Posted - 06/19/2014 : 22:59:15
Thanks Jason
"There goes Indie Cindy whose
Sails were black when it was windy
We offed ourselves in a lover’s pact
We threw ourselves into the sea
Well looksie what the wind washed back"

This is a reference to The myth of Theseus and the Minotaur.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theseus#The_myth_of_Theseus_and_the_Minotaur
When he departs to Crete, he hoists black sails and tells his father, Aegeus, that if he returns with his crew alive then the boat will be sporting white sails. But after slaying the minotaur and escaping Crete, Theseus forgets to change his sails. When he enters his native harbor his father sees the black ones, despairs, and kills himself by jumping into the sea from a high cliff.

Another crackpot theory, as it is Indie Cindy whose Sails were black,
I think Indie Cindy is the Ship Theseus sailed on that trip.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

I also like to think that the Theseus' paradox refers to the Pixies.

"The ship wherein Theseus and the youth of Athens returned from Crete had thirty oars, and was preserved by the Athenians down even to the time of Demetrius Phalereus, for they took away the old planks as they decayed, putting in new and stronger timber in their place, in so much that this ship became a standing example among the philosophers, for the logical question of things that grow; one side holding that the ship remained the same, and the other contending that it was not the same."

Ok Kim leaving dosnt make the pixies like the Sugababes, more like "a favorite sock that develops a hole"
The Theseus' paradox is; how can the pixies still remain the pixies we knew and loved as they produce new music?
Jason Posted - 06/19/2014 : 18:58:11
The minotaur was a favorite and frequently occurring image among the surrealists in the 1920s and 30s. Man Ray, Salvador Dali and Picasso all have works on the subject. There was an important French surrealist art magazine of the time called Minotaure. The title of the Pixies box set is likely a reference to all of that, since the band are partly steeped in the influence.

"The Seus" is definitely about Theseus, but I don't recall any Theseus references on Indie Cindy. Have I missed them?

In any case, I like a good crackpot theory and this could have potential (though I don't buy it). Run with it, pmjk!

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000