-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Indie Cindy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IBreed Posted - 03/25/2014 : 13:48:27
we've more or less got it. what do you think? how does it stack up?

may as well start the discussion now. we've got at least two years before the next pixies record.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 05/26/2019 : 14:44:38
quote:
Originally posted by jake3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iktnfEvdWWw

Probably my favourite performance of Bagboy. Notably faster than the album version with an extended intro and a SUPER energetic performance from Frank. His huge, deranged "BAAAAAGBOY!!" shouts during the chorus are better than the studio record in my opinion and the 'hair metal-esque' one he pulls out at 2:56 always brings a smile to my face!

That is indeed a sick bagboy. I love the longer intro. Black loses his mind on some of those screams for sure. He is really unbelievable.
jake3 Posted - 05/26/2019 : 12:48:23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iktnfEvdWWw

Probably my favourite performance of Bagboy. Notably faster than the album version with an extended intro and a SUPER energetic performance from Frank. His huge, deranged "BAAAAAGBOY!!" shouts during the chorus are better than the studio record in my opinion and the 'hair metal-esque' one he pulls out at 2:56 always brings a smile to my face!
Troubles A Foot Posted - 05/26/2019 : 08:10:21
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

The big problem with Indie Cindy is that too many of the songs are similarly paced. Knock off some of the duds, cut down the length of some of the songs and add a couple of faster paced songs and it would have made such a bigger mark.

So odd. This is my problem with Head Carrier. The whole album blurs together, all the songs sound the same. I love Indie Cindy cause it's a bunch of freaky totally different songs of totally different sounds and feels. I'm honestly scratching my head here that fans see it the other way.
The Maharal Posted - 05/26/2019 : 07:43:27
Big fan of WGB, especially Black's lyrics which are very Golem-y and Pixiesish. Never heard that live version, it's brilliant, thanks for posting. I echo 'Bug's idea to compile a playlist of the best live versions.

The big problem with Indie Cindy is that too many of the songs are similarly paced. Knock off some of the duds, cut down the length of some of the songs and add a couple of faster paced songs and it would have made such a bigger mark.

1. "What Goes Boom"
2. "Greens and Blues"
3. "Indie Cindy"
4. "Bagboy"
5. "Magdalena 318"
6. "Silver Snail" CUT
7. "Blue Eyed Hexe" CUT
8. "Ring the Bell"
9. "Another Toe in the Ocean" CUT
10. "Andro Queen"
11. "Snakes" CUT
12. "Jaime Bravo" CUT BY HALF

"What Goes Boom"
"Greens and Blues"
"Indie Cindy"
"Bagboy"
"Magdalena 318"
< Fast song - Baal's Back / Gyaneshwar / Um Chagga Lagga, etc.)
"Ring the Bell"
"Andro Queen"
< Women of War >
< O Little Cloud >
"Jaime Bravo" (cut to 2.30)

Something like the above.
peter radiator Posted - 05/26/2019 : 07:08:49
Yep. That live performance is the tits.

I find it hard to relate to any serious Pixies fan who doesn't see or hear how that is one of their best and most idiosyncratic compositions and recordings.

Why the band themselves seems not to appreciate that is lost on me as well.

How this song is not included in most every show is bewildering.

It fucking kills, and looks very fun to play as well.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Troubles A Foot Posted - 05/25/2019 : 19:17:19
I dunno, I love how the album version sounds. I think they nailed it.
Bedbug Posted - 05/25/2019 : 12:30:21
For a long time I've said that What Goes Boom is not one of my favorites, but this live version is amazing. Not that we need anymore proof that compression ruined Indie Cindy, but if the album version sounded like this I would be playing it a whole lot more. Can someone make a playlist of all the best live versions of IC songs and then we can just put that in our walkmen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVy9P6WDTug
Troubles A Foot Posted - 05/25/2019 : 10:55:37
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

I agree, but unfortunately these are about the only two "very good tracks" on IC

Tracks on IC I consider very good or great:

What Goes Boom
Greens and Blues
Indie Cindy
Magdalena 318
Silver Snail
Blue Eyed Hexe
Andro Queen
Snakes

Not bad, I'd say. And the rest are ok (I like Bagboy and Toe...in fact maybe Bagboy should be on my list...not sure). And I think Boom and Magdalena sound like they were taken off Bossanova. I struggle to imagine why fans wouldn't consider these top tier Pixies songs. Melodic and interesting and the few cases where I think the production style really fits the songs. Boom is ferocious. Magdalena is dreamy and spacey. Love them.

sdon Posted - 05/25/2019 : 05:58:07
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Ohhhhhh kaaaaaaayyy

I’m listening to Indie Cindy on the train home, and man oh man has this album grown on me.

Indie Cindy (song) and Bagboy are just so good. Vintage stuff right there.

Thanks Charles! We never doubted you (I actually did doubt)

I agree, but unfortunately these are about the only two "very good tracks" on IC

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Bedbug Posted - 05/22/2019 : 11:50:12
Ohhhhhh kaaaaaaayyy

I’m listening to Indie Cindy on the train home, and man oh man has this album grown on me.

Indie Cindy (song) and Bagboy are just so good. Vintage stuff right there.

Thanks Charles! We never doubted you (I actually did doubt)
Bedbug Posted - 08/13/2018 : 04:47:20
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

quote:

https://25yearslatersite.com/2018/08/11/favorites-the-25yl-staff-picks-their-top-5-dream-acts-for-the-roadhouse-in-our-dream-series-4-of-twin-peaks/

That article suggests that the song Indie Cindy would be perfect for the character of James in Twin Peaks.

So there's a little love for good ol' IC.

That'd be the same James who sings the absolute worst song in the history of broadcast TV?

"Just yoooooouuuuu, and meeeeeeee"

Haha! Touche stuczuba, a point well made.

Having said that, should "You and Me" be the next Lynch song that FBF covers? I could see him doing something cool with it.
stuczuba Posted - 08/13/2018 : 02:45:32
quote:

https://25yearslatersite.com/2018/08/11/favorites-the-25yl-staff-picks-their-top-5-dream-acts-for-the-roadhouse-in-our-dream-series-4-of-twin-peaks/

That article suggests that the song Indie Cindy would be perfect for the character of James in Twin Peaks.

That'd be the same James who sings the absolute worst song in the history of broadcast TV?

"Just yoooooouuuuu, and meeeeeeee"
Bedbug Posted - 08/12/2018 : 14:18:22

Bedbug Posted - 12/13/2017 : 03:50:03
Just want to say that I listened to IC this morning and had a real great time with it. First time in over a year probably. It’s a great album.
picpic Posted - 09/29/2016 : 01:01:35
That's the original compressed version, but change in speed/pitch gives the impression of "brighter" drums.

People posting copyrighted stuff on youtube (movies/full albums, etc...) often change speed and/or other details in order to avoid being detected by Youtube copyright checks.

___
"Service Unavailable"
sdon Posted - 09/28/2016 : 23:46:56
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

^ IC definitely sounds better sped up, as do most tracks on the album.
Here is a link I posted before, this has snippets of IC tracks sped up. There are some dead spots in the video with no sound, but be patient and you'll hear the snippets.

https://youtu.be/zQ9wn7fHvOw

that's very interesting
it doesn't sound only sped up, but also kind a mixed differently (maybe less compressed even)
do you have more info on who did it and how?

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Ziggy Posted - 09/28/2016 : 23:23:24
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Here is a link I posted before, this has snippets of IC tracks sped up. There are some dead spots in the video with no sound, but be patient and you'll hear the snippets.

Totally agree. The live versions of 'Blue Eyed Hexe' and 'Magdelena' were noticeably faster and far superior.
natenate101 Posted - 09/28/2016 : 13:19:48

Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 09/28/2016 : 12:54:36
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Re-listened to Indie Cindy too (I never stopped listening to it since it came out anyway).

I would say the major issues are the repetitive lyrics/patterns on most songs. Indie Cindy could have been a bridge shorter.

"Service Unavailable"

Here is a slightly faster version of "What Goes Boom":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5nyLHig7UE

And a properly edited version of "Indie Cindy" (and the video is much more coherent now):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myc831ldFmI&feature=youtu.be

++++
picpic Posted - 09/27/2016 : 04:13:54
Indeed.

Not quite a fan of the random noise / guitar pickups switches effects (old trick :-) ) on Boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlhsGJ0n5pw @18;05 about Jaime Bravo. Joey: "I totally scored the lyrics. The bull, the sunshine, the car crash,...". Indeed. I love this song.

___
"Service Unavailable"
billgoodman Posted - 09/27/2016 : 03:45:33
Joey is all over the place on this record. I even like his lines on songs that I don't like (Another Toe, Snakes) and his work on What Goes Boom, Magda, Jaime Bravo is fantastic.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
picpic Posted - 09/27/2016 : 01:21:13
Re-listened to Indie Cindy too (I never stopped listening to it since it came out anyway).

I would say the major issues are the repetitive lyrics/patterns on most songs. Indie Cindy could have been a bridge shorter. Jaime Bravo is too long, too (which is my favourite song on the album, fantastic Joey lead part), etc...

And I also skip a few songs that are not bad but just bore me (Snakes, Silver Snail). Indie/Andro/Magda/Boom/Jaime are great songs. Still waiting to hear Jaime live. Maybe one day...

___
"Service Unavailable"
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 09/26/2016 : 15:44:27
I gave Indie Cindy more of a listen this weekend and some songs stood out so here's what I think:

What Goes Boom---I like it. I don't know if I'll get tired of it the way instantly catchy songs sometimes lose their appeal but for now, it's a good track. It feels more like a Frank Black solo song but more on that topic later. Nice drumming by Dave and I like the heavier part of the song.

Indie Cindy---the opening is deceptive, I like the way the song changes up though I prefer the verses to the chorus. While I can recall how Boom sounds right now, I can't for this song. But I recall liking it more than not.

Bagboy---It grew on me. I like that it sounds so different from anything on the original albums. I especially love what Joey or Frank are doing with teh chords when the song seems to pick up towards the end, that scratchy strumming, sounds good. I don't know about that chorus though, don't know if I like it. Nice playing from Joey.

Magdalena318---the intro and verses sound moody, like an off kilter spy theme, I like that.

Blue-Eyed Hexe---the lost Catholics song. This feels like a Catholics song. I could see them playing this as a lead in to Nadine. What a combo! I like this song.

Snakes---I like the intro and the chorus, though again, it reminds me of something from an FB solo record.

I guess that's it for now. It's strange; I consider Pixies/FB/Catholics as all part of the same Frank Black continuity. however, there is a line of demarcation between the Pixies and the rest of it because the former had a consistent line up and is of such incredible quality.

Even my beloved Pearl Jam doesn't have a perfect complete discography. Uh-oh, that's right, you've wandered into the dreaded L-word topic. I prefer to wear Lederhosen that flatters...oh. No. I meant Legacy. That's right, the fucking Legacy. Of course, it's good that Frank, Joey and Dave say screw the legacy! That's the best approach for them. As a listener, I love that they have such an amazing run of records; it's quite rare.

I suppose in a way, I get to eat the cake and have it at the same time, because Kim quitting keeps the original legacy intact. The Pixies, as Frank, Joey, Kim & Dave have a perfect run of records.

However, I still end up comparing the new songs to the old, which right or wrong, isn't wise. But then, it's nothing to take seriously either. This is the place to discuss this sort of thing though it's not important. The new songs I like just feel more like FB material than Pixies. The songwriting is different from those records, how could it not be with so much time passing? Surely the evolution of his songwriting is a good thing, a necessary thing. I guess it's just a common comparison; I'm all right with making it.

I think I mentioned this somewhere before, but I think a lot of whatever Frank came up with for this record just doesn't appeal to me completely separate from knee-length breech...uh...legacy.

Anyway, I am pleased that Dave and Joey, who were there there at the beginning, get to bring Frank's songs to life again. Some really nice playing by Dave, it seems like he could be a bit busier with his drumming than the old records and it works.

cheers

hammerhands Posted - 10/15/2015 : 10:14:15
I'll be here as long as the forum is here, and I am.

I still have a foundless expectation that everybody will pop back in,
we'll play games, chat about liberal philosophy.

I'm Peter Pan.
picpic Posted - 10/11/2015 : 08:03:01
The first Indie Cindy EP went out approx 1 year after the actual recording session.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Sprite Posted - 10/10/2015 : 22:18:13
I'm still checking in every day. I see it right now as the the calm before a (hopefully) very big storm.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 10/10/2015 : 05:22:24
Sounds good to me.

cheers
natenate101 Posted - 10/08/2015 : 15:28:25
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Is this forum done for? Or will a new Pixies/FB recording get it going again?

cheers

I think it certainly would. At this point BF doesn't put out much and that really leaves us without much to get excited about. I love the buildup to an album and the aftermath when it's listened to and graded and bashed and praised. We are in a large lull, but it seems clear something is coming in the near future so once that happens, this place will light up again.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 10/08/2015 : 12:31:02
Is this forum done for? Or will a new Pixies/FB recording get it going again?

cheers
natenate101 Posted - 09/18/2015 : 21:00:43
I feel the opposite of how many of you do. It hasn't aged that well for me. I can still get some enjoyment out of maybe half the tracks but overall it's lacking. The songwriting and music could've used more punch. The odd circumstances around the recording of an already highly anticipated album likely didn't help. There are a few gems but also several under and overcooked tracks.
Sprite Posted - 09/18/2015 : 14:24:06
Yeah, I've thought for a while that Indie Cindy is a 'joey' album
hammerhands Posted - 09/18/2015 : 12:23:42
Some of the songs are excellent.

I noticed yesterday, especially on the tracks that haven't stuck in my mind,
that the album really does have some classic Joey Pixies' elements.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 09/16/2015 : 13:52:53
I really enjoy the opening of Snakes, something different for them.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 09/16/2015 : 13:48:35
quote:
Originally posted by realmeanmotorscutor

I like it more now than I had at first, too (as with most things Frank Black).

I can't rule out that happening for me down the road, it's happened before! It just seems unlikely.

cheers
Sam Posted - 09/15/2015 : 23:54:09
I think Indie Cindy is a great record, released by a new band it would have been lauded by critics. I am sure of that.

The songwriting is top notch in my opinion. Some absolute classics in the title track, andro queen, bag boy, magdelena and Jaime bravo.

Any record that has songs of that quality is a great achievement in my view. I look forward tot he next record. I hope its a whole new batch of tracks. My personal taste would be that they sound or have similar audio quality to women of war. That is a nicely produced track.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000