-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 Catholics Box

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 02/07/2014 : 00:26:17
¿Dondé está?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
shedshrine Posted - 12/16/2014 : 07:30:35
Definitely next year...Definitely.
Stevio10 Posted - 11/02/2014 : 22:59:56
Anyone know if the John Peel sessions will find their way on to the box set?
HeywoodJablome Posted - 11/02/2014 : 15:08:17
Mmmm

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OFFICIAL INTERNET TOUGH GUY
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 11/02/2014 : 14:51:50
Where the hell is this thing already?
shedshrine Posted - 10/24/2014 : 11:58:11
Of course we have all the master tapes, they're right in ....damn.

shineoftheever Posted - 10/09/2014 : 19:21:34
quote:
Originally posted by Jason

"SSMVGD" is a dead issue, I think, since it was mostly either released as B-sides or re-recorded for later albums.

And I'll bet $100 that the box set includes the B-sides. Wouldn't be the "Complete" Catholics without them.

alright perfect for a picture disc them. shmee shmer

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."
johnnyribcage Posted - 10/09/2014 : 06:35:14
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

Did you spend 4 days working on this?

Denis

I don't think it was even 10 minutes. googled veruca salt, found that pic, pasted the album in the pic, save, upload.

My density has popped me to you.
vilainde Posted - 10/08/2014 : 20:49:58
Did you spend 4 days working on this?

Denis
johnnyribcage Posted - 10/08/2014 : 14:51:22
quote:
Originally posted by ccuadros

I want my catholics box nooooow!!!

ccuadros Posted - 10/04/2014 : 10:29:38
I want my catholics box nooooow!!!

Hi guys!
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 09/28/2014 : 18:15:05
Well answered, Jason.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Discoking Posted - 09/24/2014 : 03:51:42
ok, you've convinced me. i'll take ten.

it's educational
Jason Posted - 09/23/2014 : 22:46:00
If you're an audio nut (which I am not), the remastering might be of interest here.

In any case, in 2014 all CDs are just trinkets anyway and hard copies of the original albums, though out of print, aren't hard to find if that's all you want. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Catholics catalog could be found on Youtube. CDs today are mostly just nice things to own for those so inclined. Me, I look forward to the box because I see it as the tombstone for a band that I love. This is not a soulless cash cow job from a corporate label. It's something straight from the artist himself. And he doesn't need the money. If he wants a cash cow, he has more viable options than a box set of his most low-profile period. This box set, and its quirky presentation, is a little piece of Frank Black/Black Francis's vision and I look forward to it.

Its appeal is limited, sure. That's fine. The appeal of The Catholics was pretty limited, too.
windupbird Posted - 09/23/2014 : 20:02:47
To me, if there are no tracks that haven't been released before, I'm not really sure I understand the point of the reissue. Doesn't it feel like buying the same songs all over again? I guess you could say that if they are in alphabetical order, you're buying a different listening experience.
Jason Posted - 09/22/2014 : 05:57:23
"SSMVGD" is a dead issue, I think, since it was mostly either released as B-sides or re-recorded for later albums.

And I'll bet $100 that the box set includes the B-sides. Wouldn't be the "Complete" Catholics without them.
shineoftheever Posted - 09/21/2014 : 08:50:30
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Probably, if not a little more. Throw in the Sunday Sunny Mill Valley aborted record and you're almost there on the 6 discs. Speaking of Snake Oil and One More, I bought those long ago, seems like I remember them being itunes exclusives or something. Anyway my old hard drive crashed shortly thereafter before I backed them up and they've been unavailable for a long time. Bummer I can't seem to find them. Oh well, I'll keep waiting for the box I'm sure they'll be on there.

I'm in the same boat. I often find myself singing the Belle Isle chorus and wishing i could go hit play somewhere. i think the SSMVGD songs appear on either and or both of Snake Oil/OMRFTH. At any rate if they do (re)release each album i would like to see SSMGVD/Snake Oil/OMRFTH as a 2 or 3 LP set.

"There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors of perception."
johnnyribcage Posted - 09/19/2014 : 12:30:44
Probably, if not a little more. Throw in the Sunday Sunny Mill Valley aborted record and you're almost there on the 6 discs. Speaking of Snake Oil and One More, I bought those long ago, seems like I remember them being itunes exclusives or something. Anyway my old hard drive crashed shortly thereafter before I backed them up and they've been unavailable for a long time. Bummer I can't seem to find them. Oh well, I'll keep waiting for the box I'm sure they'll be on there.

Stevio10 Posted - 09/15/2014 : 03:37:19
Wouldn't the internet exclusive B side albums 'Snake Oil' and 'One More Road for the Hit' take this up to atleast 5 discs?

I havent heard all of the content from them so I am looking forward to it, even more curious to hear if there are any exclusive unheard tracks included.
johnnyribcage Posted - 09/12/2014 : 11:22:04
quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Is there going to be unreleased material on here? It doesn't seem like five or six discs would be enough for the studio albums and the unreleased, but I don't know. I think this will eventually see release; I wonder if their music will garner different reviews both because of the presentation of the music and because so much time has passed since the band ended.

cheers

Actually 6 discs seems just about perfect to include unreleased material. All of the studio albums combined are only a little over 4 and a half hours of music. That can go on approx. 4 CDs, plus an extra disc and a half or two of space for unreleased, B sides, etc. Since it's all supposed to be alphabetical, shouldn't matter that each disc has 72 minutes of music. Assuming each disc isn't meant to be a statement in and of itself - it's just a giant comprehensive library.

As for vinyl, I don't expect to see it simply because of the cost to produce and the probable low demand. I can't imagine it would be worth the investment in this format. So few people would buy it (I would). It would probably be 10-12 LPs btw.

Now, if down the road, they individually release each album in it's original format on vinyl, that might be worth their time. An alphabetical vinyl box set can't be broken into individual records, and very few people would shell out the $400-$500 it would probably cost.

If you're going to produce a vinyl box, best to follow the example of most other bands releasing their albums in sets - the original albums can be bought as a set or individually.

Discoking Posted - 09/10/2014 : 21:19:32
all the information on amazon could be completely off.

why does it appear on amazon.de, and gets copied by amazon.fr, but nobody else?
wouldn't it make more sense if this first appeared on amazon.com or amazon.co.uk?

vinyl? huh?

and that release date? wouldn't there have been a message by the bureau by now, if this was coming out in october?

also, check out this picture we got earlier:

6 discs in that picture.

it's educational
Mac E. Doobage Posted - 09/10/2014 : 16:09:48
New shit better come to light.
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 09/10/2014 : 15:34:39
Is there going to be unreleased material on here? It doesn't seem like five or six discs would be enough for the studio albums and the unreleased, but I don't know. I think this will eventually see release; I wonder if their music will garner different reviews both because of the presentation of the music and because so much time has passed since the band ended.

cheers
shineoftheever Posted - 09/08/2014 : 18:04:56
hmmmm. 5 Vinyl? i think maybe 5 cd.....

Discoking Posted - 09/07/2014 : 22:59:08
must've originally come from the german amazon: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00M4QNOXS

i can't find it on any of the other amazons.

it's educational
vilainde Posted - 09/07/2014 : 22:26:04
IT'S COMING

http://www.amazon.fr/Complete-Recordings-Black-Frank/dp/B00M4QNOXS/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-2&keywords=frank+black

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
shineoftheever Posted - 09/04/2014 : 19:02:51
micro steps. woohoo

johnnyribcage Posted - 09/01/2014 : 12:20:48
I think that was a test package. I can't believe that the Bureau would have been sitting on a few thousand of those things all this time. That's an incredible waste of inventory costs. If it's there waiting, it's a huge pile of money tied up in production. Sorry, I have a finance background and that's just how my mind works. Maybe they didn't want to take away from Pixies momentum but I don't see how it could. It would probably add.

Anyway, tin foil hat on here - I think it's a test package. Judging from the update Saturday that makes me think it's the case. Either way - still waiting!

shedshrine Posted - 08/30/2014 : 07:22:41
quote:

Black Francis: "More micro steps have occurred on the Frank Black & The Catholics boxed set this month. Pinkie swear."

I like Craig Westwood's response: "All on vinyl please....take my $$ already."
shedshrine Posted - 08/30/2014 : 07:12:10
quote:
Originally posted by Discoking

i thought it was a cd box set? (with a tiny chance of a release on vinyl.)

I'm all about tiny chances, micro steps and pinky swears.
Discoking Posted - 08/30/2014 : 03:44:12
is that a drawing about golden showers?

it's educational
McDutchie Posted - 08/30/2014 : 02:28:18
https://www.facebook.com/152032678636/photos/a.10152434033383637.1073741825.152032678636/10152688958803637/?type=1

Black Francis: "More micro steps have occurred on the Frank Black & The Catholics boxed set this month. Pinkie swear."
Discoking Posted - 08/29/2014 : 22:46:33
i thought it was a cd box set? (with a tiny chance of a release on vinyl.)

it's educational
shedshrine Posted - 08/29/2014 : 11:39:55
This could have something to do with the delay...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/manufacturers-are-struggling-to-keep-up-with-the-resurgence-in-vinyl-records-9695409.html
shedshrine Posted - 08/29/2014 : 10:43:45
"Let's see..Dog in the Sand, Black Letter Days, the self titled brown one, um, Pistolero,
Show Me Your Tears.. hey wait, where's Devil's Workshop?
I'm sure I don't see it in here."

"God bless it Father, the seller swore it was a complete set."

Discoking Posted - 08/28/2014 : 23:39:56
dominique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10mMDtpfcQM

it's educational

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000