-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Andro Queen

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
fumanbru Posted - 09/06/2013 : 19:04:33
yeah baby!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-8fbNGodOM

this one has been on serious rotation!

BLACK FRANCIS: I based a lot of the poetic meter on a famous old song called “The Great Pretender,” which was written by Buck Ram. It’s a very well organized and particular song, lyrically; and I based this song on the rhythm and the length of the lines and the number of syllables in that skeletal structure. I’ve never done that. I worked a long time on it and it wasn’t easy to do; I’m not even sure where the music came from, because usually I write the music first and then the words. This was one of those rare instances where I wrote the lyrics first and put music underneath that. It was an interesting exercise.

plus i think black is singing a part in esperanto!

mi aspekti al la cxielo por via reveni
mi aspekti cxe via mano al vidi la ringo
kaj ni will promeni kune al via cambro
nia ami will esti nova
nia ami will esti nova

google translator....

I look to the heavens for your return
I look at your hand to see the ring
and we will walk together to your room
our love will be a new
our love will be a new

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 05/24/2017 : 03:07:25
It's staring to look like neither In Heaven nor Andro Queen are in the rotation much this tour.

Too bad
Stevio10 Posted - 09/15/2016 : 08:32:40
You'll be in for a treat when Twin Peaks returns soon!
sdon Posted - 09/15/2016 : 08:14:05
Agree with both assertions Bedbug : AQ doesn't need any "moody" intro
And I miss Lynch so much since Inland Empire

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Bedbug Posted - 09/15/2016 : 07:56:00
And actually I think AQ is better without the Lynchian intro
Bedbug Posted - 09/15/2016 : 07:54:16
The only thing In Heaven (1.0, 2.0, 3.0) ever does for me is remind me that David Lynch is the greatest genius working in film.
sdon Posted - 09/15/2016 : 06:07:03
quote:
Originally posted by Sam

My 2 cents is I love Andro Queen. The drumming, the tempo, the lyrics, the singing. All great.
Really different but very cool. I put it in the Havaline, ANA style Pixies slow, dreamy beautiful songs.

That In Heaven \ AQ segue was awesome too.

However and its kind of irrelevant but the Coachella version of In Heaven is so good. I think the best one yet. Joey's guitar sounds excellent with Kim's bass. They should do that again.

In Heaven 1.0 was one of my favourite tracks, up there with Tame and Gouge Away
When Kim started to sing the mellow, fuzzy version of In Heaven 2.0, I lost a lot of interest in this song. Even worse on the pre-HC tours, when it became not much more than setlist parenthesis mechanically announcing Andro Queen

Sorry for being grumpy sdon today

--
picpic Posted - 09/15/2016 : 04:41:29
Anyone noticed the whizzing sound after the "she's off in a silver rocket" lyrics.

Good to test your hearing sensibility on high frequencies. If you're not hearing it, you're probably getting old.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Sam Posted - 09/14/2016 : 23:54:17
My 2 cents is I love Andro Queen. The drumming, the tempo, the lyrics, the singing. All great.
Really different but very cool. I put it in the Havaline, ANA style Pixies slow, dreamy beautiful songs.

That In Heaven \ AQ segue was awesome too.

However and its kind of irrelevant but the Coachella version of In Heaven is so good. I think the best one yet. Joey's guitar sounds excellent with Kim's bass. They should do that again.
peter radiator Posted - 09/14/2016 : 19:13:05
I think there were a couple of times ages ago when FBF made reference in interviews to some or all of the Catholics basically getting tired of the whole live-to-2-track ethos, and of playing mostly small clubs and the occasional festival, without label tour support or a full road crew.

It would appear some or all of the members just lost interest in that lifestyle and lack of serious income, and either wanted the group to reach for something different or (in some regard) "higher" that FBF was not into at that moment, or simply felt the time had come to leave.

They HAD to know how insanely baddass a combo they were, and that knowledge had to have made their toiling in relative obscurity (and in the omnipresent shadow of the long-gone Pixies) that much more hard to weather.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
hammerhands Posted - 09/14/2016 : 11:00:05
Who didn't want to be in his band?
Bedbug Posted - 09/14/2016 : 09:49:11
that is a great interview Stevio10. Thanks for linking.

nevertheless, I find the snake analogy a bit reductive. monkeys can climb trees and see what's ahead but snakes can't?
Stevio10 Posted - 09/14/2016 : 09:15:37
Found an old interview that mentions both moniker changes, those old interviews are really something

http://www.hotpress.com/Black-Francis/music/interviews/Back-To-Black/4497399.html

peter radiator Posted - 09/14/2016 : 08:06:44
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

And Mrs. John Murphy molted as well didn't she?

Sort of.

But FBF is actually a Snake.

--

Bedbug Posted - 09/14/2016 : 07:40:28
And Mrs. John Murphy molted as well didn't she?
sdon Posted - 09/14/2016 : 07:34:24
Didn't he partially revert to BF for Christmass, before Bluefinger?

--
peter radiator Posted - 09/14/2016 : 07:29:27
Re: the shifting professional monikers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake#Molting

--

Bedbug Posted - 09/14/2016 : 07:12:27
Thanks Stevio10. I'll have to look for that interview re: Zevon.

Stevio10 Posted - 09/14/2016 : 02:48:43
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I remember an interview with him back around TOTY or CoR, and the interviewer referred to him as BF, and he was corrected, "No, it's FB."

I wonder what that means to him.

Why release the orangelo album under FB and then Bluefinger under BF? Is Bluefinger more of a Pixies related piece of work because the name on the cover is the same name that's on the liner notes in Surfer Rosa?

I'm comfortable in my own mind thinking of everything he's ever done as "CT and the whoevers." It ultimately makes me think less of "the Pixies" and more of "that guy," but that's just my own attempt at analysis.

I recall reading about how Warren Zevon commented on the name Black Francis and said he should really change his name to Frank Black.

I don't recall the exact circumstances but word got back to CT and it stuck.

The inspiration behind Bluefinger, Herman Brood, was the reason CT 'rediscovered' his Black Francis.

I recall BF mentioning the Black Francis moniker allows him more creative licence with his material which was another reason behind the change.

Whether that means he felt restricted by his own expectations of a Frank Black record or the expectations of the Frank Black fan base is unknown, but certainly it allowed him to explore new territory.

FM/RM to Bluefinger via Christmass is quite a shift in tempo and energy.
Bedbug Posted - 09/14/2016 : 02:22:24
Sdon

Thank you for that stripped down version of AQ. I had forgotten about that one.

Man that video makes me long for his solo shows. The atmosphere, the banter, the not knowing what songs you would here. Such an awesome experience. Haven't been to one since '10 I believe.
hammerhands Posted - 09/14/2016 : 02:09:50
I recall the In Heaven/Andro Queen from The iTunes Festival was fantastic.
picpic Posted - 09/13/2016 : 18:08:20
I like Andro Queen.

___
"Service Unavailable"
sdon Posted - 09/13/2016 : 12:30:52
Bedbug
Here is a stripped down version of Andro Queen
http://youtu.be/I7hyNoKPdsk
With Jeremy Dubs, prior to Indie Cindy recording

I think there is also a Pixies acoustic version (at a radio show) post-release, but I prefer this early version without David's military drumming

--
Bedbug Posted - 09/13/2016 : 10:59:20
Peter,

Thanks for the response.

Certainly my own attempts to understand him and his music have been in flux over the years.

I remember an interview with him back around TOTY or CoR, and the interviewer referred to him as BF, and he was corrected, "No, it's FB."

I wonder what that means to him.

Why release the orangelo album under FB and then Bluefinger under BF? Is Bluefinger more of a Pixies related piece of work because the name on the cover is the same name that's on the liner notes in Surfer Rosa?

I'm comfortable in my own mind thinking of everything he's ever done as "CT and the whoevers." It ultimately makes me think less of "the Pixies" and more of "that guy," but that's just my own attempt at analysis.

Anyways, Andro Queen has really been doing it for me lately. Would love to hear an acoustic version or something stripped down, but this super produced / compressed version is nicely spacious for me right now.
peter radiator Posted - 09/13/2016 : 10:34:51
Bedbug,

I have certainly modified my views on FBF's songwriting output since this earlier thread, based on my current beliefs regarding how the man himself appears to view his efforts.

This current perspective of mine may be misguided, but it makes more sense to me these days.

--

McDutchie Posted - 09/13/2016 : 09:04:02
In fact the twain have met plenty of times, but only at Frank Black solo and Catholics shows.
Bedbug Posted - 09/13/2016 : 07:06:13
Man I've been loving Andro Queen lately. Glad to find this thread (uhoh, it mentions compression), and I agree with what a lot of people are saying in it.

Peter Radiator (if you're still out there), you say above that there are Frank Black songs and there are Pixies songs and never the train (twain?) shall meet. Do you still feel that way? Because I thought in one of the more current threads you were saying something different. Not trying to argue or "get you," just genuinely interested in your opinion. Thanks
fumanbru Posted - 10/30/2014 : 02:41:46
so i was going for my morning jog this morning and "llano del rio comes on...

"...Going out to Llano
Going out to look for Aldous Huxley
There between the power lines
And the purple flowers of mescaline

If you really want to
You can practice esperanto
But in the land of pronto
The wind it tastes like gasoline..."

i had no idea of the esperanto line!! and i've been listening to this album for 14 years!

that's it!

have a super day everyone!

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ cause I'm a real go-getter!"...long live snitz!!
sdon Posted - 01/16/2014 : 09:18:00
You were referring to the snare as tasteless, I was extending it to the whole track. ok, it's silly, not tasteless. But rather bad taste.
Songs have intrinsic personalities (I like to think). Some arrangements work, because they reinforce this nature or sometimes contradict it cleverly. But on "EP1 Andro Queen", arrangement and production sound silly if not tasteless. Probably BF is not attached enough to controlling the audio aspects of his work. Kim D was more involved, and could have prevented this in some way. But it's not the place for such a debate. I'm ready to move on.

--
billgoodman Posted - 01/16/2014 : 09:09:38
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

Andro Queen is far from tasteless. Don't be silly.

Hope you were not refering to my post, because I would never be that silly!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
sdon Posted - 01/16/2014 : 09:08:03
I regret this production on Andro Queen. Nothing is gonna change the song like nate said. But nothing will prevent me from thinking I would have liked more another version. I agree Peter that this kind of production could have been a natural evolution from Trompe. But just one direction among many possible ones. Not the one I prefer. Bagboy is another evolution. Magdalena and Snakes also...
I agree also with the interest one may find in peeling the sonic onion layers. This works well for me in some songs, just not this one. It´s all made rather artificial, and above all too narrative, figurative, not enough stuckist :) I usually don't like when form and meaning are too explicit. What´s the point of writing a song about some alien being beyond the rings of Saturn, and then just dressing it with sci-fi sounds, which were fun and novel on Bossanova but now are a bit cliché to my ears? And I also think I remember Joey and/or Dave saying that Gil made them change their initial line or style of playing on this song. Maybe the demos out there might prove this point one day : not only Gil's production but also direction was detrimental (to me, once again, but I' m sure I'm not alone)

--
peter radiator Posted - 01/16/2014 : 08:49:54
I appreciate the conversation, Bill Goodman. :)

~ Peter Radiator

peter radiator Posted - 01/16/2014 : 08:24:52
sdon,

Perhaps I did not explain myself well in my last post.

I was not saying that the production on "Andro Queen" sounds exactly like earlier Pixies records.

What I was attempting to posit is that it is not hard at all for me to imagine that the production style used on that track and others of the new batch of songs is in fact a logical progression from the earlier Pixies records -- especially if such a progression occurred on an alternate timeline which does not include the existence of FBF's solo recordings and records made with other backing bands -- AND taking into consideration the scope and style of the work that Gil Norton has done in the intervening years.

I was also suggesting that had a production (or, rather, "anti-production") sound been used on the new Pixies material, as has been heard on some of the tracks which were referenced earlier in this thread, that it would have seemed regressive and underwhelming to many fans, and only contributed to the incorrect notion that Pixies v.2.0 is not a true "band" collaboration, but merely an extension of FBF's lengthy "solo" career, post v.1.0.

I honestly think the production on "Andro Queen" sounds nothing like the FrankBlackFrancis CD set, and only shares a superficial sense of "sonic modernity" with those remixes.

But that's just me.

"Andro Queen," like the other new tracks, is SHINY, SLICK and filled with stacks and stacks of tracks which are not always easily discernible among the din.

With headphones, a dark room and time on one's hands, one can (if one so desires) ponder layers and layers of submerged instruments, backing vocals, screams and other aural ephemera that combine to form a dense and cluttered whole that many may simply find claustrophobic and twice-baked.

That's a totally valid response.

I don't love love love every single aspect of these recordings, but then again I don't love love love every single aspect of earlier Pixies material.

I just plain DIG IT, then and now.

Hopes this makes more sense, although we may simply disagree. :)

~ Peter Radiator

natenate101 Posted - 01/16/2014 : 08:23:55
Andro Queen is far from tasteless. Don't be silly.
The song is what it is, no amount of,"It would've been cool if it was produced like this...." is gonna change it. Some people like it, some don't. I think it's a different look for the band and that's fine because the song itself is enjoyable and has repeat listening value.

This is another example of the new songs really splitting opinion. It's interesting to see the various reactions to the same song.
billgoodman Posted - 01/16/2014 : 08:11:52
My post was a reaction to Peter's. Thanks for agreeing with me, Sdon.

Magedelena sounds like the songs you mention, but totally different. That's what a 2013/2014 Pixies record should sound like. At least to me. Great new fresh Bossanova/Trompe-sound!

billgoodman Posted - 01/16/2014 : 08:09:43
Well actually, I hear a lot of NonStopErotik in AndroQueen's production. For me there are very obvious links to these songs and Franks career. And Gil's too. Just compare the production on Surfer Blood's last (and excellent) record. Many of those vocals sound a bit to polished too. The guitars are limited to the max.

And the whole "we were out in space"-story is nice, but it's of course impossible to do that. Forget what you have learned, experienced and made the last twenty years. It's a great way to let a band lose their cold feet. Very clever move by Gil.

Btw, I'm not saying that Pixies SHOULD sound like the Catholics, but that I think this particular song COULD have been better with a more stripped down arrangement and production. It's very brave to try something new and that's what I like about AndroQueen and Another Toe. However, that doesn't make me a happy listener. In theory I like it, but when I turn up the stereo I think more classic Pixies (some would say Pixies by numbers) tunes like What Goes Boom are way better.

I enjoyed reading your post. Thanks.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000