-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 B-Side Anthology

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
benji Posted - 11/02/2013 : 08:56:04
Found a set of mp3's on my PC the other day called Frank Black - B-Side Anthology. Pretty sure I got it from the trade I did with defgav a couple years back.
But my question is, was there any involvement with fb.net in this as I assume it's a fan-made comp, or was it simply one fan's compilation?
here's the back 'artwork'

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
danjersey Posted - 01/02/2014 : 16:08:31
just some of the greatest songs ever recorded.
Frank Black rules!
Stevio10 Posted - 12/30/2013 : 21:39:42
Im guessing (or hoping) there must be a lot of unreleased/unfinished/demo stuff from that era. I loved the early Catholics covers of Springsteen, Dylan and the Specials - "Im going Down", "Changing of the Guards" and "Do Nothing". I wonder if any other classics were covered in this time?

"The Big Hurt" was another underrated gem (Humboldt Country Massacre and Living on Soul too but they get a lot of love!)

'Valley of Our Hope' was another great one...man so many great songs, Im looking forward to this Catholics Box Set whenever it may be.
frankblackphx Posted - 12/30/2013 : 09:21:08
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Anyone know what recording session 'Preachers Daughter' was part of, Im guessing SMYT? Always thought it and Ludwigshafen were A side quality.

Both were from the SMYT sessions. I also love the title track that didn't make the record too. Some great songwriting from those years.

Here I am for your judgement
When the paint grows darker still
Jason Posted - 12/30/2013 : 08:40:02
Frank's B-sides are a real treasure trove.
Stevio10 Posted - 12/30/2013 : 04:37:45
Anyone know what recording session 'Preachers Daughter' was part of, Im guessing SMYT? Always thought it and Ludwigshafen were A side quality.
Joey Joe Jo Jr. Chabadoo Posted - 12/30/2013 : 02:48:34
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jqIKffrhEjk Hello Recordings.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

I never listenned to these recordings. (Y?)

Serioulsy, who need Pixies today when we had such Frank Black's beauties ?

++++
matto Posted - 12/13/2013 : 04:00:05
Are Baby that Art and Humbolt actually demos?

--------
baby poop, curry
peter radiator Posted - 11/13/2013 : 07:48:42
You guys are right!

I found the Hello Recordings disc several months after TOTY came out, and I guess I never noticed the date on the sessions because all this time thought it was tracked afterwards...

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
frankblackphx Posted - 11/13/2013 : 07:39:26
It took me awhile to get my hands on the Hello Recordings disc but I have had it for quite a few years now. it is an excellent EP. It was actually released in November of '93 which is before TOTY. I still wouldn't call them demos as they are stripped down live recordings.

Here I am for your judgement
When the paint grows darker still
pixie punk Posted - 11/11/2013 : 14:55:16
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jqIKffrhEjk Hello Recordings.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
benji Posted - 11/03/2013 : 18:21:43
i never thought these were anything apart from 'official releases.'
I guess that should have made me realise that fb.net would not have been involved, but for some reason i never joined the dots.

as for whether the hello recording club are demo's or not, one bit which points towards them being demo's potentially is the release dates of the two records.
hello recording club was released in November 1993 while Teenager was released in May 1994, a full 6 months later.
Anyone know when Teenager was actually recorded?

hammerhands Posted - 11/03/2013 : 12:13:40
Con is Spanish?
peter radiator Posted - 11/03/2013 : 11:21:11
Virtually all of those tracks were "pirated" from officially released, yet hard-to-locate EPs and promo releases.

The "demo versions" of SPACE IS GONNA DO ME GOOD, DUKE OF EARL, etc... come from the Hello Recording Club CD-EP, which was available in strictly limited numbers through the mail to those who subscribed to the Hello Recording Club,a long-defunct micro-label run by the John Flansburgh from They Might Be Giants.

The idea behind the label was mostly to release cheaply-made (quickly-tracked) alternative versions of cuts (and previously unheard material) by TMBG and some of their musical friends.

It is likely that less than 2,000 of those EPs were ever pressed, and FBF's contributions were (I am almost certain) recorded long after the TOTY sessions, specifically for that EP -- which means they cannot be considered "demos" in any standard sense of the word.

They are, instead, simply stripped-down, informally recorded versions.

Hope this info helps.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
ruzom Posted - 11/03/2013 : 01:02:14
Ah! Mmm, definitely not, I guess.
benji Posted - 11/02/2013 : 19:07:28
does this count as a demo?
http://www.frankblack.net/songs/default.asp?mode=release-details&ReleaseID=223

ruzom Posted - 11/02/2013 : 13:54:28
Do you know where that demo version of Space Is Gonna Do Me Good is coming from? I had never heard of it.
benji Posted - 11/02/2013 : 13:07:55
https://mega.co.nz/#!15xmhQTL!d_Oq_0pw7w33bT-Veyh79EXoRgsS_qTX-dmqtnaTA3Q

Mac E. Doobage Posted - 11/02/2013 : 11:57:28
I've never heard headache NYC version.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000