-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 'Bagboy' - a new Pixies song

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ziggy Posted - 06/27/2013 : 23:07:14
And here's the video...

http://youtu.be/lGdSYPh5_BI
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pixiestu Posted - 09/05/2013 : 13:58:23
Hearing the new EP makes me realise how much I like this song. I think partly because it didn't need to grow on me like I think (hope?) the others will. It was just an instant hit with me. Even after just a couple of months it seems like I'm coming back to listen to an old Pixies classic. I've said it before but I fucking love when the drums kick in after "...picked up from dead things that you licked". Top song!

"The arc of triumph"
bedrock_barney Posted - 08/25/2013 : 08:57:30
Hells Bloody Bells!!

A new Pixies song.

I really should log in more than once a decade.....

Listened to the track 3 times so far. I think I like it....but it's not the same feeling I had each time a new Pixies record was released in the late 80's (+ the orange album and TOTY).

The humble apple
billgoodman Posted - 07/14/2013 : 22:45:27
I like Wacahatchee
Liz Phair and Helium all over again

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
pot Posted - 07/14/2013 : 22:35:37
Oh I think you should give Speedy O a chance. MKVI is so good, and Casper- still up here http://3voor12.vpro.nl/luisterpaal/albums/Speedy-Ortiz.html. And Waxahatchee!

OK I'm done talking about other bands now, everyone can relax again.
vilainde Posted - 07/14/2013 : 22:05:36
Hey I liked that Prinzhorn song. They sound like a total ripoff of every band that ever existed, but they do it nicely. You got to give it to pot, the guy has great taste in music.
Ortiz was awful though. If I want to listen to 20 yr old noisy pop I'll dig out my Sidi Bou Said cassette.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
cptnpasty Posted - 07/14/2013 : 21:39:09
Pot when you say DEMONSTRABLY a thousand times better you betray the fact that you feel you are right and others wrong, despite your previous comments about subjectivity, personal taste etc
You get a bit of stick around here it seems and I'm not trying to add to that, not trying to pick a fight with you, just disagreeing.
I just listened to that Prinzhorn track because, even though I'd previously dismissed them as boring crud, everyone deserves a shot, right?
In terms of talent it doesn't even register on the same scale as the Pixies, Bagboy included. It's like we're not listening to the same thing. To me it sounds like a derivative revival of the kind of indie mediocrity John Peel used as filler for his shows around the '87 mark. You know, the stuff he played in between the good stuff.Speedy Ortiz have good tunes and in my opinion they're very good at what they do, but what they do at the end of the day is noise-pop-by-numbers. The Pixies and FB for that matter tower above both in terms of the music and Bagboy just confirms that.
natenate101 Posted - 07/14/2013 : 18:40:30
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Maybe I'll just create my own thread and just say all the things that come to my mind about everything in there. Is that alright with you?

Please. In the off-topic section preferably.
The Maharal Posted - 07/14/2013 : 15:13:37
Sounds ideal.
pot Posted - 07/14/2013 : 14:37:35
Maybe I'll just create my own thread and just say all the things that come to my mind about everything in there. Is that alright with you?
The Maharal Posted - 07/14/2013 : 14:34:34
Can't you just keep it to the 'What music is doing it for you' thread then? Otherwise it does come across as needless name dropping. (Plus, if you kept it to a single thread I might even check some of them out!)
pot Posted - 07/14/2013 : 14:18:15
quote:
Originally posted by Classic Masher
Comment of the Year! I get so tired of everyone name dropping a bunch of obscure bands. If you're on a Frank Black forum you like pop music with an edge. Stop trying to be "hipper than thou". What made the Pixies cool was that they didn't TRY to cool, they were just themselves.

Nothing wrong with mentioning bands who have been influenced by the Pixies. I do so because I happen to think they are quite outstanding, not to look 'hip' man. I love some of them as much as I loved the Pixies 20 years ago. I'm grateful there are so many of them out there right now and don't really care if they are ripping off the Pixies style, it happens to be a great style and hell if the Pixies wont make new music in their own style then at least we have other bands who are prepared to give it a go, and it seems a lot of them are extremely good at it, demonstrably a thousand times better than the pixies seem to be at it these days.
pot Posted - 07/14/2013 : 14:10:26
quote:
Originally posted by cptnpasty
But Speedy Ortiz and Prinzhorn Dance School (while the former are pleasant enough) are both retro acts. as fresh as the carpenters.

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Haha yeah Speedy Ortiz fresh? I like them but come on.

So you think the Pixies were themselves 100% original in their day?

Not far off it, but their music was also derivative of a lot of other musical styles.

By fresh, I don't mean original. I mean fresh.

MKVI is such a great track on Speedy Ortiz's new album, the whole album is great, and Prinzhorn Dance School.. Usurper, I Want You, Your Fire Has Gone Out etc.. the Pixies couldn't come up with tunes like that now, even though they defined the style of these new wave of Pixies influenced bands.

Seriously, if you don't think so then you are not looking in the right places. Check out the structure, bass, slightly off tune guitars, scraping, vocals in this track. Pixies couldn't do that now. I'd like to be proven wrong on that point though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCMz2m7XO3A
houstonguthrie Posted - 07/14/2013 : 12:24:18
quote:
Originally posted by velvety

because I feel that Frank's albums haven't had a great lead guitarist since Cult of Ray.

Yeah that Rich Gilbert - what a hack ;)
Sprite Posted - 07/14/2013 : 12:03:55
quote:
Originally posted by Grotesque

Sprite, I dont remember where i read that gil norton quote aboute the navajo, but i remember he said in the same interview "Trompe le monde was very hard to record but i'm happy now because charles told me the next album is already written".

OK thanks. I read in several places that very little of Trompe was recorded with all the band in together, I guess that is what he was getting at. Anyway one of the things that has been not commented on much is the fact they went to Gil to produce the new stuff. I was really pleased about that as I love the sound he gets out of them.
simibaby Posted - 07/14/2013 : 11:13:09
I personally dont give a shit about videos. A song is either good or not. I dont care about any 'messages' or whatever a vid may send. In fact, if possible, I close my eyes when listening to an excellent song and care ONLY re: the song. I love "Bagboy"....b/c it's NEW Pixies, to me it SOUNDS so unique, different, fresh and so 2013. When you guys informed that it was Jeremy doing the bkgrnd I was stunned.....it's great. I, too, await the next release. I wanna know that there's a whole slew of NEW songs (via an album or whatever) b4 they hit the States.

Again, I luv Bag, listen to it every day and am now so excited for the next newie. Just hope I'm not disappointed.
Classic Masher Posted - 07/14/2013 : 09:22:54
quote:
Originally posted by natenate101

quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

it's great hearing lovering drumming on new songs. take lovering away and do you still have the pixies? I JUST DON'T KNOW.

i love Bagboy. it builds momentum throughout, allowing joey to be joey all over the bitch. then there's a feedback loop you can't evict and it finishes on your chest (too much? sorry. no i'm not.). it's distracting that there's a kim sound-alike. of course they liked how it sounded and decided to keep it, after all we all love how kim's vocals sound on pixies songs. whatever. bring it on.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Joey rules over Bagboy. So great to hear that guitar. And "feedback loop you can't evict" is where Charles' voice grabs me too. It's a very enjoyable track. I don't really get tired of it.

"But hey, you guys should listen to Zammanilaroni and Jim's Amplifier Service....now those are some real cool bands that I am really really into and are much better than this newfangled Pixies setup, blah blah blah blah blah...
Oh, here's a random youtube link and a stupid comment about masturbation.....whatever. And I couldn't care less about new Pixies, but I can't wait for to hear what it sounds like, but I will never be that excited about the idea, but yeah, Bring It On!"

Comment of the Year! I get so tired of everyone name dropping a bunch of obscure bands. If you're on a Frank Black forum you like pop music with an edge. Stop trying to be "hipper than thou". What made the Pixies cool was that they didn't TRY to cool, they were just themselves.

"Mixed messages from Sir Naff, please authenticate..."
natenate101 Posted - 07/14/2013 : 05:39:13
quote:

it's great hearing lovering drumming on new songs. take lovering away and do you still have the pixies? I JUST DON'T KNOW.

i love Bagboy. it builds momentum throughout, allowing joey to be joey all over the bitch. then there's a feedback loop you can't evict and it finishes on your chest (too much? sorry. no i'm not.). it's distracting that there's a kim sound-alike. of course they liked how it sounded and decided to keep it, after all we all love how kim's vocals sound on pixies songs. whatever. bring it on.

Joey rules over Bagboy. So great to hear that guitar. And "feedback loop you can't evict" is where Charles' voice grabs me too. It's a very enjoyable track. I don't really get tired of it.

"But hey, you guys should listen to Zammanilaroni and Jim's Amplifier Service....now those are some real cool bands that I am really really into and are much better than this newfangled Pixies setup, blah blah blah blah blah...
Oh, here's a random youtube link and a stupid comment about masturbation.....whatever. And I couldn't care less about new Pixies, but I can't wait for to hear what it sounds like, but I will never be that excited about the idea, but yeah, Bring It On!"
The Maharal Posted - 07/14/2013 : 05:12:55
Haha yeah Speedy Ortiz fresh? I like them but come on.
Jose Jones Posted - 07/14/2013 : 05:12:51

sdon Posted - 07/14/2013 : 03:59:57
completely agree with velvety

The new song sounds nothing like the manic 87-89 songs which is what I feared the most they would try to do
--> exactly, that would have sounded terrible

'Bagboy' seems more conceptual than what they did in Bossanova and TLM (maybe 'Space (I believe in)' being a distant cousin?).
--> like it has been said before, Trompe and Bossanova are not so distant cousins to Bagboy, ancestors or genitors more probably

Roll out the album :)

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
cptnpasty Posted - 07/14/2013 : 03:45:27
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

Don't really get what Pot means by "fresh" regarding 'Bagboy'.

This?

quote:
they are not in their teens, they've been doing this for more than twenty years. What would make new Pixies songs sound "fresh" at this moment in their creative lives? Are people expecting a Tom Waits-type reinvention or something?

Just saying.

I welcome a new album, but I'm more excited about the prospect of new albums on the way from Art Brut (I speculate) and The Chap (confirmed yesterday on facebook- 2014), and hopefully Prinzhorn Dance School...? (who are probably my favourite indie band at the moment)

I'm also more into new stuff coming out from the likes of Waxahatchee and Speedy Ortiz. This is 'fresh'.

Like I say, just saying.

But Speedy Ortiz and Prinzhorn Dance School (while the former are pleasant enough) are both retro acts. as fresh as the carpenters.
pot Posted - 07/14/2013 : 02:00:57
quote:

Don't really get what Pot means by "fresh" regarding 'Bagboy'.

This?

quote:
they are not in their teens, they've been doing this for more than twenty years. What would make new Pixies songs sound "fresh" at this moment in their creative lives? Are people expecting a Tom Waits-type reinvention or something?

Just saying.

I welcome a new album, but I'm more excited about the prospect of new albums on the way from Art Brut (I speculate) and The Chap (confirmed yesterday on facebook- 2014), and hopefully Prinzhorn Dance School...? (who are probably my favourite indie band at the moment)

I'm also more into new stuff coming out from the likes of Waxahatchee and Speedy Ortiz. This is 'fresh'.

Like I say, just saying.
velvety Posted - 07/14/2013 : 01:43:23
Don't really get what Pot means by "fresh" regarding 'Bagboy'. I feel the complete opposite, actually. Joey's guitar will always make what they record sound like the Pixies, so there's no escaping that, which is great news to me, because I feel that Frank's albums haven't had a great lead guitarist since Cult of Ray. And besides, they are not in their teens, they've been doing this for more than twenty years. What would make new Pixies songs sound "fresh" at this moment in their creative lives? Are people expecting a Tom Waits-type reinvention or something?

The new song sounds nothing like the manic 87-89 songs (like 'Gyaneshwar' would have probably sounded like if it was released by the Pixies), which is what I feared the most they would try to do, that manic energy is inseparable from what those four guys were at the time and Frank's songwriting has naturally evolved. 'Bagboy' seems more conceptual than what they did in Bossanova and TLM (maybe 'Space (I believe in)' being a distant cousin?). I doesn't have that much vocal melody, which is fine, the guitars more than make up for that. Cool quirky song and a natural progression from what FB was doing, but with Joey, Dave and Gil Norton in on the mix, as Helmut pointed out. Roll out the album.
pot Posted - 07/13/2013 : 16:02:29
I'm with you on Bossanova. That's the only album on vinyl I have ever staped to my wall, and it's still there after all three years. I love the artwork on it #Saturnalia lol @SteveDodds
Helmut Posted - 07/13/2013 : 15:55:31
I think the other three Pixies are making new music collaboratively, with Ding Archer playing bass and Jeremy Dodds doing backing vox. I'm sure others will be or have been brought in at various points - EDF? Kim Shattuck? To my ears it sounds like Pixies and a lot of this is down to BF writing Pixies styled songs, Pixies drumming, Joey's guitar work and Gil Norton coaxing a Pixies album out of them. It may not be "classic" Pixies material of 1987-89, but neither was Pixies material released in 1990-93 and Bossonova is my favourite album. So bring on the next batch of tunes.
pot Posted - 07/13/2013 : 13:19:36
There's a lot of studio recording stuff on the internet around these days of bands doing that, it's good shit.

I know what you mean about videos though, they tend to distract from the song a lot and often can negatively alter your perception of an otherwise good song, then when you later relisten to it somehow you then like it.

I think it can be one of the most difficult things to do to make a video for a song, and I see lot's of good bands all the times fucking it up, or hiring someone to do it and they fuck it up, even sometimes spending a lot of money on it.

But sometimes they get it right, and there are a lot of really great music videos out there, some of which are slowly filling up my HD via youtubedownloader.

I think Bagboy is not a bad video though, and what I like even more about it is the fact that I don't really know what it's about. That's the Pixies and FB all over though, ambiguity and nonsensicality. I think this is a measure of good art if you can create something that doesn't necessary mean something, whether unintended or otherwise.

As far as the song goes, it's not held my interest for more than 2 days and exactly what I expected new Pixies material to sound like, forced and mediocre. It's just not fresh and nothing they record now will ever be. As far as I am concerned I don't really care either way about a new album, but I will listen to one keenly if released.

I think they should just scrap the whole idea of making a 6th album and do something collaboratively with the three remaining members and a variety of other musicians. Do covers and stuff, new songs, whatever works. A kind of Pixies version of FMRM maybe?
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 07/13/2013 : 13:06:13
For the most part, I don't like music videos. I'd be happy if they put a camera on a tripod and just shot them playing the song in real time, mistakes (if any made) kept in.
pot Posted - 07/13/2013 : 08:34:06
Here's a new video just out of Justin Beiber peeing in a mop bucket.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/10/justin-bieber-pees-in-restaurant-kitchen-and-yells-fck-bill-clinton/
Grotesque Posted - 07/13/2013 : 08:07:05
quote:
Originally posted by pixie punk

http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/07/pixies-just-the-latest-rockers-to-make-violence-against-women-look-cool/277570/ Bagboy Stirs Some Controversy.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

The Bag Boy video is so bad so it wont make anything look cool. I saw a cool music video the other with a teenager masturbating with virtual women, and another one with kids killing each others with animated blood and explosions, cant find the link but i think they were making bad things looking much cooler and yet it was a little bit closer to a work of art.
pot Posted - 07/12/2013 : 23:13:28
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Bag Boy also looks a bit like my mate Nick, who is a pill head. He goes round raking bins for things and makes a lot of money from it. It's his main income, being a severe schitzophrenic on DLA. We call him the Bin Guy. Interesting comparison if nothing else.

he's your mate?

Well I only see him about every once in three years but yes, why not?

You'd be amazed at what people throw out around here, he's basically a modern day rag and bone man (without the cart)
Jose Jones Posted - 07/12/2013 : 19:10:39
quote:
Originally posted by floop

quote:

http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/07/pixies-just-the-latest-rockers-to-make-violence-against-women-look-cool/277570/ Bagboy Stirs Some Controversy.

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

good grief

green star member since 2006. smb?

take it easy there, charlie brown! keep your dick in your pants! and certainly don't bash me with it!!

Jose Jones Posted - 07/12/2013 : 19:09:28
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Bag Boy also looks a bit like my mate Nick, who is a pill head. He goes round raking bins for things and makes a lot of money from it. It's his main income, being a severe schitzophrenic on DLA. We call him the Bin Guy. Interesting comparison if nothing else.

he's your mate?

floop Posted - 07/12/2013 : 12:21:04
quote:

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

good grief

green star member since 2006. smb?
pot Posted - 07/12/2013 : 11:58:41
pot Posted - 07/12/2013 : 11:53:16
quote:

PUERTO RICO PIXIE

Interesting take on Bag Boy. Don't normally consider young 14 year old lads with bad acne as racist, misogynists really. I guess those pills he took must have scrambled his brain.

So the video alludes towards violence against women. How much media portrayal these days alludes to the reciprocal though, and which doesn't perhaps glorify it but gives off the impression that it's OK. Not maybe so much violence but pure unadulterated misandrism? Is that even a word or is my spell checker all a misandrist?

Just saying.

Glorifying violence against women in music videos is nothing new either, cf. Smack My Bitch Up by The Prodigy (a video and sentiment which I don't like or condone by the way, just to be clear on that before someone gets all up my ass about it)

Just saying.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000