-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Thoughts on IF the Pixies record a new album...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 06/10/2012 : 06:11:52
I think the reason I've never been excited about a new Pixies album is because I would hate to not like it, which is odd. That's a very strange position to take but one, I think, that many hardcore fans of a band have.

That's right, I'm one of those people who are concerned about the band's legacy. Why I should care seems a bit off to me. I can explain it and support it with logic of a sort, but it still feels strange to write it out.

It's not like a mediocre ruins the other albums, I'll still love Trompe Le Monde, I'll still enjoy listening to the fantastic live version of Into The White that concludes the 4/22/04 Vancouver show and I'll still get chills from the opening of Where is My Mind?

So, what's the problem?

The problem is, I don't want it to suck. The "problem" is that the band has an amazing set of albums. Pilgrim to Trompe is an amazing run of music. Sure, there are songs that I like a lot less than others, but overall, it's an incredible body of work. The b-sides are actually a-sides, and the album collecting them is one of my favorites.

So, even though I logically understand that a new album would not ruin their past work, nor their concerts, I don't know how a new Pixies album would not disappoint on some level.

Why? Because so much time has passed. Sure, they were evolving as they went along but that process was stopped; Frank continued on, moving through his solo work, before veering into more traditional rock, and country. While they've changed as people, it's possible, they've changed as musicians.

If they had kept releasing albums as the Pixies, filtering Frank's songwriting through their own unique musical abilities, then not only would they have a huge and amazing discography, the evolution of their music would easily flow between albums.

Instead, their output stands inviolate, an incredible run of albums, a legacy that inspires.

Now, so much time has passed, I wonder how a new album would sound. I don't want them to try to be the Pixies, or to write what they think Pixies songs sound like. My impression is that the Pixies albums emerged from Frank's songwriting in tandem with their abilities. He's changed, so how could they produce an album like the others?

They have to follow their muses, so...maybe the best approach is to be who they are now as musicians and whatever they play, without trying to be Pixies...will, theoretically...be Pixies.

I'm pretty sure someone on here once said that Capt. Pasty and Threshold Apprehension are two (relatively) recent works by Frank that would have made excellent Pixies songs. I think so as well.

So...maybe they have more great Pixies albums, just waiting to come out of them.

I guess I don't know how I feel about the idea of a new Pixies album...I only hope, like everyone here, that a new album would be as amazing in its own unique Pixieish way, as the rest of their records.

If they are recording a new work, I wish them well!
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
natenate101 Posted - 08/17/2013 : 13:05:32
quote:
Originally posted by Helmut

Sounds like classic Pixies with Trompe Le Monde production. Can't wait to hear the whole song, and suprised none of the album has been leaked yet. I kinda like the drip feeding of new tunes, makes you savour each new song or snippet that little bit more. I'm guessing once the tour kicks off we'll have every new tune posted on youtube 5 minutes after the fact.

Didn't you claim to have heard the whole album already?
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 08/17/2013 : 11:32:22
I think it someone reported on here that some songs are around the four minute mark but others are traditionally shorter. As for the screaming it's damn impressive, the sounds theat emerge.

I saw him bellow the slow version of Six-Sixty and it was frightening. His face was red and slick with sweat, his eyes locked into the distance and his neck throbbing as if it would burst; he was a volcano of sound.
velvety Posted - 08/17/2013 : 10:14:13
The great thing to me about ‘Rock Music’’s vocals is that it’s just one big ball of energy and manic screaming in under two minutes.

I remember Transmarine saying something about almost every song reaching/surpassing the 4:30 mark? I wonder how they’ll pull this one off.

This dripping of snippets and songs/videos every few week without concrete news regarding the whole bag recorded songs is pure torture. It’ll probably last until the beginning of the tour (or the end of it... fuck), but man, does it hurt.

Ah! For years, Frank didn’t scream like he used to. Now, he’s screaming more and harder than he used to... Got to love it.
Helmut Posted - 08/17/2013 : 00:17:22
Sounds like classic Pixies with Trompe Le Monde production. Can't wait to hear the whole song, and suprised none of the album has been leaked yet. I kinda like the drip feeding of new tunes, makes you savour each new song or snippet that little bit more. I'm guessing once the tour kicks off we'll have every new tune posted on youtube 5 minutes after the fact.
Jason Posted - 08/16/2013 : 18:48:07
I hope it's the Pixies. For the five seconds that we hear it, it rocks.

Also, Frank has good teeth.
cptnpasty Posted - 08/16/2013 : 12:14:21
i like it
sdon Posted - 08/16/2013 : 12:01:13
from this short clip, Blue Eyed Hexe to my ears sounds similar to Bagboy (drum production, arid guitars), which is good because I feared the album would be heterogeneous, or lack unity (this is of course too early to tell)

The screaming is rather far from classic Pixies rendering. It almost has an Iron Maiden quality to it. Don't know if I like it.

Will be fun to hear if Um Chagga Lagga comes out first, or this one.

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
BunsenH Posted - 08/16/2013 : 07:04:42
quote:
Originally posted by BunsenH

SPIN: Another New Pixies Song on the Way? Frank Black Vine Clip Suggests So ...

http://www.spin.com/#articles/frank-black-teases-possible-new-pixies-song-vine-clip/?utm_source=em&utm_medium=dailynl&utm_campaign=081613&utm_content=article1

It does feel a little "what's up... just driving around in my car singing along to awesome songs that I wrote... the yoozsh..."

BunsenH Posted - 08/16/2013 : 06:44:45
SPIN: Another New Pixies Song on the Way? Frank Black Vine Clip Suggests So ...

http://www.spin.com/#articles/frank-black-teases-possible-new-pixies-song-vine-clip/?utm_source=em&utm_medium=dailynl&utm_campaign=081613&utm_content=article1

johnnyribcage Posted - 08/16/2013 : 06:05:11
Hmmm yeah I'm definitely not hearing any hair metal overtones. It sounds like the exact sort of classic Black Francis scream that I for one have been waiting to hear for awhile on new material. Just my opinion of course.

FWIW I always felt that a staple of hair metal singing was heaping amounts of vibrato with an actual pitch being sung. This has neither. It's just a flat out scream.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
eroticvultcha Posted - 08/16/2013 : 05:37:50
IMO Frank's Rock Music vocals were super-intense without treading into hair metal territory. This... this sounds like it might be crossing that line. May sound entirely different in its full context, though.

"I've got my own gas tanks."
natenate101 Posted - 08/15/2013 : 19:03:05
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

Please sir, I want some more.

Hell yes, I'm dying to hear more. I love the vines and tweets, giving possible insight and clues we just don't understand yet.
johnnyribcage Posted - 08/15/2013 : 18:35:10
quote:
Originally posted by Classic Masher

quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Try hitting F11 and then moving the cursor about in the top left corner. The mute/unmute option should appear then.

I'm very curious to hear this song in full. BF in screaming mode (and full-on fucking screaming) almost arouses me.

Doesn't work for me either and I un-muted it. :-( Is it just a picture with sound? Or does it do something else? I hate all this social media BS.

"Mixed messages from Sir Naff, please authenticate..."

Not sure why you guys are having problems, but then again I'm no IT guy. What I CAN tell you is that if that ain't a hoax, that puppy has some of the most ripping Black Francis vocals laid down since the last few seconds of Tame.

Dying to hear this album. And it better be an album. otherwise... I might.. Just... er um ... write stuff on this board like the rest of you. Such is the life of an uberfan. This place is like a Star Trek convention for Charles.

And I love it.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
Classic Masher Posted - 08/15/2013 : 15:49:02
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

Try hitting F11 and then moving the cursor about in the top left corner. The mute/unmute option should appear then.

I'm very curious to hear this song in full. BF in screaming mode (and full-on fucking screaming) almost arouses me.

Doesn't work for me either and I un-muted it. :-( Is it just a picture with sound? Or does it do something else? I hate all this social media BS.

"Mixed messages from Sir Naff, please authenticate..."
The Maharal Posted - 08/15/2013 : 15:35:46

The Champ Posted - 08/15/2013 : 14:43:14
I am not getting any audio with that link...
pot Posted - 08/15/2013 : 14:18:58
vocals from Rock music. Now I want tickets.
Sprite Posted - 08/15/2013 : 14:12:44
Please sir, I want some more.
Brank_Flack Posted - 08/15/2013 : 14:07:16
Actually really looking forward to hearing it. I agree with IBreed in that it sounds more like the song "rock music" than hair metal.
IBreed Posted - 08/15/2013 : 14:00:40
lol, you guys are a tough crowd. i thought the vocals were more in line with something like "rock music" from bossanova.
pot Posted - 08/15/2013 : 13:46:27
quote:
Originally posted by IBreed

new song snippet? https://vine.co/v/hMUrwMxwLUu

no thanks. I'd like to contain my disappointment
natenate101 Posted - 08/15/2013 : 12:51:14
Does sound like "battle of the blue eyed h...."
Those are some hair band sounding vocals though.
At least things seem to be picking up a bit.
jake3 Posted - 08/15/2013 : 12:37:53
The guitar sounds quite Pixies-like but the vocals have me questioning it? I must admit it does sound like he's saying 'Blue eyed Hexe' (A suspected new Pixies title) at the end.
IBreed Posted - 08/15/2013 : 11:17:15
new song snippet? https://vine.co/v/hMUrwMxwLUu
IBreed Posted - 08/10/2013 : 11:14:03
it makes sense in that bagboy was used as a push to publicize the tour. seeing as it's doing very well sales wise, it appears to have paid off. it was likely done primarily because another 'album tour' would have been perceived as a cash grab.

does it make sense artistically? who's to say. i personally don't like it. i prefer the traditional album / touring schedule. i don't want piece meal tracks spread out over a year or something silly. i know it's supposedly a response to the ipod generation, but ugh.
velvety Posted - 08/10/2013 : 10:50:23
For the people who understand how the music business usually works, does it make any sense to do a tour with only one song released (or maybe two, we'll see about that new video)?

It's kind of frustrating to see the tour around the corner and not know what they're planning to do with the songs. Still haven't heard the songs on Youtube that Frank played solo, mainly because I'm hoping to hear them first in an album form, or some sort of definitive version of the tracks. The same goes for the tour, still haven't bought the tickets for that same reason (and maybe that window is closed by now).

Do you guys think they'll start the tour with only the "hear the new body of songs" thing regarding the material they've recorded?
natenate101 Posted - 08/07/2013 : 22:51:58
quote:
Originally posted by velvety

Was that picture taken last year in Wales or is it a recent one? Re-recording stuff? Discussing plans for the double album?

Looks a bit older to me. Thinking this is from last year, and that much new music is already in the bag.
pot Posted - 08/06/2013 : 11:24:17
quote:
Originally posted by The Champ

Has Gill Norton stopped aging?

No, it's a photograph. The real Gil Norton is still aging (unless he has been travelling away from the earth at nearly the speed of light since that photograph was taken...?)
Fissile Posted - 08/06/2013 : 11:08:38
quote:
Originally posted by velvety

Was that picture taken last year in Wales or is it a recent one? Re-recording stuff? Discussing plans for the double album?

Don't know. Let me put on my detective hat. OK, there is a bottle of Heinz brand ketchup on the table. I believe that Heinz brand ketchup is common on both sides of the pond, so that's no help. There is also a green bottle that has the label turned away from the camera. Does anyone recognize that green bottle? Is it a product that is unique to the US or UK? That might provide a clue as to where this picture was taken.
velvety Posted - 08/06/2013 : 07:39:55
The Champ Posted - 08/06/2013 : 02:52:43
Has Gill Norton stopped aging?
Carl Posted - 08/04/2013 : 14:14:03
quote:
Originally posted by Fissile

Anyway, I heard a rumor that Kim will be joining her old band-mates for the Pixies New York City shows scheduled for September. If you look at the tour dates, there is no conflict between the Pixies and Breeders tour schedules. Could it be that the Pixies are actually behaving like the mischievous, mythical beings they are named after?

That would be a kind of relief, after all this upheaval. Maybe they've 'tromped' the lot of us?!
heile Posted - 08/04/2013 : 10:44:51
According to twitter, a new pixies video is being shot today at Pickathon music fest outside of Portland, OR. So yeah look out for that.
Fissile Posted - 08/04/2013 : 07:37:54
quote:
Originally posted by floop

nice detective work

green star member since 2006. smb?

I'm not sure if you're sarcastic?

Anyway, I heard a rumor that Kim will be joining her old band-mates for the Pixies New York City shows scheduled for September. If you look at the tour dates, there is no conflict between the Pixies and Breeders tour schedules. Could it be that the Pixies are actually behaving like the mischievous, mythical beings they are named after?
floop Posted - 08/04/2013 : 05:52:02
nice detective work

green star member since 2006. smb?

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000