-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 FB's most underrated songs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
1965 Posted - 05/26/2012 : 19:18:17
I think there may have been an old thread along these lines, but can't find it.

Some of Frank's best tunes are often overlooked imo. I think these are great, but under-appreciated:

SOLID GOLD
STEAK N SABRE
SO HARD TO MAKE THINGS OUT
SKELETON MAN

Your thoughts?

I have the key to #902
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Maharal Posted - 09/29/2012 : 05:22:00
Stars is a good shout too! Think that was my favourite Golem song upon first listen.
The Maharal Posted - 09/29/2012 : 05:21:00
Wild Son is amazing. Should be included on 03 - 13.
trobrianders Posted - 09/29/2012 : 05:14:59
Build High
Two Spaces
Elijah
Stars
Wild Son
And Rocket USA brings it back

The Maharal Posted - 09/13/2012 : 08:06:17
It got some love in another thread. Some guy included it in his film.
Mismatched Sasquatch Posted - 09/13/2012 : 08:00:15
When Will Happiness Find Me Again

Never see this tune get any love. I think it's great...."She picked up the phone...."

----------
Could I stay just for awhile?
Jason Posted - 07/25/2012 : 17:15:20
Part of the beauty of The Catholics is that they didn't tour to promote albums, really. They just... toured. All the time. Albums would come out sometimes while they were already in the middle of a tour.

There's an old 80s punk rock slogan (I think Greg Ginn said it) that goes "Don't tour to promote an album, put out an album to promote a tour". And that's basically what Frank Black and the Catholics did.

They were a cool band them Catholics.
johnnyribcage Posted - 07/25/2012 : 16:04:11
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Yup, agreed. Two songs that really kicked my #$^#@ live were Hermaphroditos and Jane. I don't know if it's something about the songs' composition that makes them so much better live, if it's a poor album recording, or something else altogether but I haven't heard a recording of either song that I like anywhere near so much as I did at a show.

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

I've always pretty much hated Hermaphroditos in any incarnation - it just sets my teeth to grinding for some reason. On the other hand, I absolutely love the BLD cut of Jane, always have. It's nearly perfect in my opinion. I saw it live on the tour that led up to the SMYT release, I don't think it was a continuation of the BLD/DW tour, not sure what they were doing, just hittin' the road I guess. They played a couple SMYT cuts though, pre-release. I liked the live version just as much.

Ayerigvlagabriga-Raraaaargh!-Rumbahl-Jumbahl!
johnnyribcage Posted - 07/25/2012 : 15:56:30
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

To me that album isn't about the songs individually but about the album as a whole. There are way better songs on his other records, but it's like saying "I'm not sure about the first Ramones LP cause I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend isn't a very good song". It just works as a whole.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

And THAT, my friend, is why i'm anti-alphabet.

teenager94 Posted - 07/24/2012 : 23:44:52
There's just something missing with Dead man's curve on NSE, awesome live tho. On the DITS tour (London leg) he opened with Blast off, that was pretty cool too!!
quote:

More songs that were a zillion times better live: Shazeb Andleeb, The Snake, My Terrible Ways, Dead Man's Curve.

I like the studio Jane.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

darwin Posted - 07/24/2012 : 16:36:44
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage
It was nothing but crickets since Duchy. That one kind of put everyones' fire out for awhile!

Shhhh!! We're trying to forget about it.
johnnyribcage Posted - 07/24/2012 : 15:55:14
Wow, King and Queen is out? It's funny how differing opinions can be for huge fans of the same guy. Good stuff! Seems like the convo is heating up slightly around the boards lately. It was nothing but crickets since Duchy. That one kind of put everyones' fire out for awhile!

Jose Jones Posted - 07/24/2012 : 15:13:14
yeah, i'm a fan of that one.
pretty much everything on ODDBALLS seems underrated. hate me, jumping beans, baby that's art, can i get a witness, at the end of the world.

love brown, love orange. sheeee-it.

------------------------------
they were the heroes of old, men of renown.
Jason Posted - 07/24/2012 : 04:15:44
quote:
Nothing like I Don't Want To Hurt You, which basically sucks on every level!

That's one of my underrateds.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 07/24/2012 : 04:09:11
quote:
Originally posted by The Maharal

quote:

quote:

quote:

Please tell me you have the self titled album.

Frank Black or Frank Black & The Catholics? I have both.

Definitely The Catholics one. Most people round these parts refer to the first solo album as either Yellow or Orange, depending probably on whether you kept the [orange] CD in a flip folder back in the 90s or if you just kept it in the [yellow] case. Anyway, other than a few classics like Two spaces, Czar, 10 %er, and Parry, I could pretty much ditch the rest of that album. It really doesn't do much for me. The self titled Catholics on the other hand.... that album so good, make me wanna slap my mama.... Hey mama!

Haha I'm the opposite! I love the first album (not at first), though individually a few of the tracks are so-so, but altogether it's great in my opinion.

As for the FB&TC s/t, the first time I heard it I honestly thought it was crap besides three or four songs like Dog Gone, All My Ghosts, Suffering, I Gotta Move etc. Don't feel the same way now but it would still rank in the bottom half of my favourite FB albums. I have to be in the right mood to appreciate the two major rockers Solid Gold and I Need Peace, while Six-Sixty-Six, Do You Feel Bad About It and King & Queen of Siam never really did anything for me.

I nominate Steak 'N' Sabre as an underrated song actually. Some of his best wailing ever: "different kinda WOOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHRRRRLLLLLLLD". Splendid.

Was Suffering ever played live?

And this is why we universally adopted the "orange" and "brown" designations for the two self-titled releases. :)

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
vilainde Posted - 07/24/2012 : 03:46:39
To me that album isn't about the songs individually but about the album as a whole. There are way better songs on his other records, but it's like saying "I'm not sure about the first Ramones LP cause I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend isn't a very good song". It just works as a whole.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
The Maharal Posted - 07/24/2012 : 03:13:09
quote:

quote:

quote:

Definitely The Catholics one. Most people round these parts refer to the first solo album as either Yellow or Orange, depending probably on whether you kept the [orange] CD in a flip folder back in the 90s or if you just kept it in the [yellow] case. Anyway, other than a few classics like Two spaces, Czar, 10 %er, and Parry, I could pretty much ditch the rest of that album. It really doesn't do much for me. The self titled Catholics on the other hand.... that album so good, make me wanna slap my mama.... Hey mama!

Haha I'm the opposite! I love the first album (not at first), though individually a few of the tracks are so-so, but altogether it's great in my opinion.

As for the FB&TC s/t, the first time I heard it I honestly thought it was crap besides three or four songs like Dog Gone, All My Ghosts, Suffering, I Gotta Move etc. Don't feel the same way now but it would still rank in the bottom half of my favourite FB albums. I have to be in the right mood to appreciate the two major rockers Solid Gold and I Need Peace, while Six-Sixty-Six, Do You Feel Bad About It and King & Queen of Siam never really did anything for me.

I nominate Steak 'N' Sabre as an underrated song actually. Some of his best wailing ever: "different kinda WOOOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHRRRRLLLLLLLD". Splendid.

Was Suffering ever played live?
vilainde Posted - 07/23/2012 : 21:59:10
More songs that were a zillion times better live: Shazeb Andleeb, The Snake, My Terrible Ways, Dead Man's Curve.

I like the studio Jane.

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 07/23/2012 : 19:46:03
Yup, agreed. Two songs that really kicked my #$^#@ live were Hermaphroditos and Jane. I don't know if it's something about the songs' composition that makes them so much better live, if it's a poor album recording, or something else altogether but I haven't heard a recording of either song that I like anywhere near so much as I did at a show. Other songs, I feel the gap is much more narrow between live and record.

Also, welcome teenager.

darwin Posted - 07/23/2012 : 16:41:29
quote:
Originally posted by teenager94

Hi guys, never posted on this forum before so thought i'd give it a go....... I'd have to go for Billy Radcliffe and Hermaphroditos as underrated classics. Also, Hermaphroditos was just amazing when he toured DITS (as a live song).

However, that's the great thing about his music, favourites/least favourites could be debated till the cows come home as there's so much quality. Similarly, in the overall standard of albums, everybody has a different view.I've read so much positivity for Corrina and Lake of Sin, yet their the 2 I automatically skip on NSE!! At present I feel his collaboration with Reid Paley is as strong as anything he's done in years, the opener 'Curse' is just fantastic.

Welcome Teenager.

I would say Jane the Queen of Love was the same way. AWESOME live.
johnnyribcage Posted - 07/23/2012 : 12:12:25
quote:

quote:

teenager94 Posted - 07/23/2012 : 08:44:08
Hi guys, never posted on this forum before so thought i'd give it a go....... I'd have to go for Billy Radcliffe and Hermaphroditos as underrated classics. Also, Hermaphroditos was just amazing when he toured DITS (as a live song).

However, that's the great thing about his music, favourites/least favourites could be debated till the cows come home as there's so much quality. Similarly, in the overall standard of albums, everybody has a different view.I've read so much positivity for Corrina and Lake of Sin, yet their the 2 I automatically skip on NSE!! At present I feel his collaboration with Reid Paley is as strong as anything he's done in years, the opener 'Curse' is just fantastic.
The Maharal Posted - 07/23/2012 : 01:20:33
quote:

Frank Black or Frank Black & The Catholics? I have both. I have all of his albums besides DW, FBF and Christmass (though I've listened to bits of the latter two).

Had a dream this morning that BF himself edited a post of mine. A sign if ever there was one that I needa stick on DW.

Edit: phwoar. Nice album. Immediate standouts were Fields of Marigold (what a chorus), His Kingly Cave (incredible guitar), San Antonio TX, Modern Age and Whisky In Your Shoes. And I've always loved Velvety, put that down as one of his most underrated songs actually. Thank you for the kick up the ass, Blackheads.
johnnyribcage Posted - 07/22/2012 : 17:48:43
quote:
Originally posted by Jose Jones

quote:

I still haven't listened to Devil's Workshop for one reason or another. Will amend that, maybe tomorrow.

this is insanity. out of state? modern age? san antonio tx? bartholomew?! whiskey in your shoes?! WHISKEY IN YOUR FUCKING SHOES?!!!

come now. get on that shit.

Hah! The forum needs to add a like button or a thumbs up thing or something. Although, and I may be in the minority here, I've never cared for Modern Age that much. I rank it with You're Such A Wire, which is a more controversial song in the cannon to Blackheads. Nothing like I Don't Want To Hurt You, which basically sucks on every level!

johnnyribcage Posted - 07/22/2012 : 17:35:10

The Maharal Posted - 07/22/2012 : 15:22:54
I dunno, I like dragging the Catholics records out. Think BLD was my first one. Enjoyed it at first but started to love by the second and third spins. Stuck on DitS the evening before BF was due to play Dublin in 08 or 09 and LOVED it first time, so much that I played it again immediately after. Went to a German festival during summer 09 to see Pixies and Nick Cave, and also picked up the self titled CD along with two other inspired purchases, NY's On the Beach and Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy. This one was a grower but contains several gems. 2010 was the year of the Tears and it's a lovely collection of songs (reckon I'd have loved the album way more if I wasn't already used to some of the songs) while I only got around to Pistolero a few months ago, and it's still growing on me. Skeleton Man is my favourite, I think.

(there was absolutely no need to outline all that but what's done is done.)
Jose Jones Posted - 07/22/2012 : 14:27:14
quote:

I still haven't listened to Devil's Workshop for one reason or another. Will amend that, maybe tomorrow.

this is insanity. out of state? modern age? san antonio tx? bartholomew?! whiskey in your shoes?! WHISKEY IN YOUR FUCKING SHOES?!!!

come now. get on that shit.

johnnyribcage Posted - 07/22/2012 : 13:26:18
quote:

Oh snap. Party foul - better get crackin on that, homie.

The Maharal Posted - 07/22/2012 : 12:13:47
Jose Jones Posted - 07/22/2012 : 10:56:26
i woke up at 8am the day it and DW were released. i couldn't wait. i drove up to best buy, but it was still an hour til it opened, so i had to kill time at barnes and noble. finally bought them, popped DW in first and was thrilled. San Antonio TX really stood out right away.
i went directly to my college book store to pick up my text books for my first semester of college. by the time i was close to the bookstore i was on California Bound and was stunned that Frank could keep churning out awesome tunes.

johnnyribcage Posted - 07/22/2012 : 09:27:22
BLD is awesome. It came out when I first moved to San Diego (lived out there for a couple years). Was the first album I bought out there, my first time in CA too, and when California Bound spun up it was absolutely perfect for me.

darwin Posted - 07/22/2012 : 08:05:40
Been listening to BLD lately. I've always loved that album.
Jose Jones Posted - 07/21/2012 : 17:37:14
yeah, jet black river is great. one of my favs on BLD. i feel like most of the songs on BLD could be considered gems. there's just so much there in seemingly no coherent order. just an assload of great tunes by this great band.

god, i miss the catholics.

The Maharal Posted - 07/21/2012 : 04:31:15
I've only been listening to Pistolero for a few months but I don't think it's anywhere near the level of ToTY tbh (and for clarification ToTY is Premier League for the most part, there's just one or two cuts which I deem alright or mediocre).

On topic, Whispering Weeds is one of my favourite Catholics songs; definitely one of their catchiest. I also love Jet Black River.

billgoodman Posted - 07/20/2012 : 22:01:07
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

And don't be too hard on billy, he's a good man (see what I did there?) if occasionally really, really wrong.

I would really like some more examples

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
billgoodman Posted - 07/20/2012 : 21:59:39
quote:

Yeah and the Sixtine Chapel ceiling could do with a bit less paintings too

Denis

Obsidiana Bijoux

My point exactly!

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?